General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:47:03
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That's cleared a lot up for me thanks.

My only question now would be, I am going to reboot but when would be the best time to do it, and how long should I leave it off for?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:50:49
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Daylight hours; just half a min. will suffice.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 20:02:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
That's cleared a lot up for me thanks.

My only question now would be, I am going to reboot but when would be the best time to do it, and how long should I leave it off for?
All about BT IP Profiles. You're on the Old system.

It normally updates automatically, but maybe a single re-boot would be a good idea. The best time to do that is well inside daylight hours, so varies depending on the time of year.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 20:18:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'm getting varying answers... earlier in the thread someone said to leave it off overnight crazy

Basically I am trying to Re-Sync my router. Without it re-syncing to a higher sync rate, there's no way the IP Profile is going to be lifted.

What would all of you do in this situation?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 20:41:26
Print Post

You are mixing up sync rate and throughput rate.

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,960

are your up and down sync rates. The down rate determines your IP Profile, which on 4,960kbps will become 4000kbps, (as per the table in the pages I linked to), and your throughput rate should then get within 60% and 90% of that in normal running.

As has been said, the update can occasionally fail. However in my experience it is usually triggered by the night-time check the system automatically issues. I would leave it on so that check can take place. When that happens, no re-sync is needed.

Hence my suggestion you do a re-sync during daylight tomorrow, if it doesn't happen tonight. Possibly leave it off for 10-20 minutes to make sure all parts of the system recognise it.

Leaving it off overnight I have great doubts is anything more than a myth, or perhaps it is just a way of guaranteeing that recognition. Theoretically 2 minutes switched off time should be sufficient.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 28-Jan-13 20:42:44)

(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 22:10:45
Print Post

Right, I have just been on the phone with a couple of guys from Tesco Broadband. They told me to plug in to test socket and then restart router. So I left it off for 20 minutes then restarted.

Exact same figures. (In fact the downstream sync rate has now gone down)

Uptime: 0 days, 0:29:12

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4.928

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4,33 / 21,34

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 13,8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 6,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,0 / 15,4

I'm stumped. Does anyone have any further suggestions as to how I can get the sync rate back up again?

If the sync rate stays where it is, the overnight IP Profile update won't do anything, as our connection is slow it will leave us in the 0.14Mbps profile right?

Thanks very much everyone for your help with this smile

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 28-Jan-13 22:12:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 22:39:12
Print Post

You keep asking how to get the sync rate back up.

Please tell us what figure you think is your sync rate, and what you think you should be able to get it back up to?

Please also do the BT Performance Test, ignore the first set of results it gives you, and click the Further Diagnostics button at the bottom of those. Then copy and paste all the contents of the down and up results text boxes. We don't need a screen grab of the graphics.

(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 22:50:47
Print Post

My sync rate is 4928Kbps, as shown on the router. To be honest I had never checked it before when it was working, so I don't know exactly what number it should be at, all I know is that it should be much higher than it is now.

BTW Speedtest gives the following:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.93 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-13 23:04:18
Print Post

Which means there is no reason other than the time delays for the IP Profile to rise to 4 Mbps (4000Kbps)

The line is under performing, but lets see if the IP profile rises to a useable figure first.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 23:13:24
Print Post

I'm thinking leave the router off for 30 minutes, then restart, to let it sync back up to a hopefully higher speed, now that the line has been ok for nearly 2 days, does that sound like a good plan?
Good place to start.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to