General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 23:14:37
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And we've already had a re-sync so no need to do one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 23:16:22
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
I'm thinking leave the router off for 30 minutes, then restart, to let it sync back up to a hopefully higher speed, now that the line has been ok for nearly 2 days, does that sound like a good plan?
Good place to start.
Pointless. See here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User matthewcl375
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 23:22:50
Print Post

My mistake. What's shown on the router is 4.928 Kbps, not 4928Kbps crazy

Am I out of options? I've already tried re-syncing, just can't get the sync rate to budge frown

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 28-Jan-13 23:26:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 23:42:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

not pointless, but done already.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 23:54:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Theoretically 2 minutes switched off time should be sufficient.
The PPP session timeout is longer than that so while a few seconds gives you a retrain it may not trigger a new session (having watched the logs at both ends).

If it's off overnight the night-time check will pick up a no data (or zero) and then generate a delta report when it does sync in the morning.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-13 01:29:14
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

@yarwell, what you're saying makes sense, but could doing it in the daytime really improve it that much, I mean it would have to jump up a hell of a lot from the current rate of 4.928kbps crazy

I also considered the SNR, which is currently 15,5 maximum. This could be stopping the sync from going up maybe? I mean does the SNR normally change by itself, or does it require a restart of the router?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Tue 29-Jan-13 02:29:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-13 09:35:56
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Do you really mean 4 decimal point 928 kilo bits per second?

A dialup modem would usually provide 50 kilo bits per second (Kbps), and the ISP should see this as a clear fault and very surprised the modem would sync at all, as in theory minimum sync is 160 Kbps. Also 0.06 Mbps as the download speed result from the BT speedtest is actually 60 Kbps.

What I think you have is a router with a web interface that is using decimal point to seperate thousands and comma's for decimal points.

So pretty sure in reality your connection speed is 4928 (four thousand nine hundred and twenty eight) Kbps. The translation of web interfaces from various languages often causes these sorts of oddities.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Tue 29-Jan-13 10:59:36
Print Post

I think you should be more concerned about fixing the line fault first before worrying about IP Profiles.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-13 11:46:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What I think you have is a router with a web interface that is using decimal point to separate thousands and comma's for decimal points.
Yes, OP's router is displaying numbers in the European, not UK, convention and OP hasn't cottoned on.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-13 11:54:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Guys,

Guess what? Routerstats is also showing 4928Kbps so I think you may be right! If this is the case then as MrSaffron says all that I need do is wait for the profile to be updated.

However, previous to this I had waited for nearly 2 days without an update of the Profile, should it really take that long?

Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to