General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Jan-13 18:51:55
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Hmmmm frown !

That exchange is WBC-enabled, i.e. up to 24Mbps connection speed is available from any ISP that wishes to sell it. So either that is another problem on your line, or Tesco via non-LLU C & W just don't. That is quite possible as O2 non-LLU is the same.

What speed estimate did you get when signing up? Have you been conned, or would 8Mbps be acceptable once things are sorted?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 29-Jan-13 18:52:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Oh and our exchange is Faversham Kent
SamKnows indicates your exchange has 21CN WBC, which means up to 24Mbps (advertised as up to 16Mbps to satisfy the advertising standards people) services should be available over the BT Wholesale network. With the line attenuation you have, you will likely get over 20Mbps on this service assuming you now have a noise free line.

I don't know if Tesco have a policy of bulk migrating people off the old 20CN DSL Max service that you appear to be on, or whether they offer this service at all. If they do, an alternative option may be to give up getting the target noise margin reduced on DSL Max and get yourself migrated to 21CN ADSL2+. Beware that you might be asked to agree to a new contract if you migrate.

I'd be interested in other people's views - do they consider Matthew is better getting his issues sorted out with the service he's on, then trying to migrate, or migrating now and dealing with any issues that remain on 21CN?

Standard User matthewcl375
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-13 19:19:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's interesting, we used to be on a 'Tesco finest' broadband, but then they got rid of all the different packages and now we are on one which supports 'the highest speed your line is capable of'.

All I know is we've never seen higher than 5.6Mbps download speeds, but I'm fine with that, since I am not the rate payer tongue

Still strange, from what I've read we may be on the 'Partial LLU' service, which is where you keep your line with BT (thus keeping your old phone number), does that sound right?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Tue 29-Jan-13 19:23:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-13 19:49:56
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I don't know if Tesco have a policy of bulk migrating people off the old 20CN DSL Max service that you appear to be on, or whether they offer this service at all.
If, as I understand, Tesco BB is provided by C&W and C&W is not LLU at that exchange then OP will always be on ADSL Max with Tesco.

@OP: If this is the case you are not on any sort of LLU.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-13 19:58:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Tesco via non-LLU C & W just don't. That is quite possible as O2 non-LLU is the same.
LLU providers at their non-LLU exchanges generally only provide 20CN ADSL Max. Witness O2, AOL, Orange when LLU, Virgin ...

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-13 20:14:16
Print Post

Lol - in theory

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-13 20:15:30
Print Post

Data looks like BT Wholesale based, distinct proof is the presence of the IP Profile, only provider to use it.

The BT Wholesale is sort of partial LLU - as in it is handled by Openreach in the same manner as other partial LLU services.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-13 21:21:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yea that makes sense, just hoping BT Openreach aren't going to phone up and say "your line is fine, nothing wrong with it" like I have heard in similar threads.

I'm guessing if Openreach/Tesco find that the IP Profile is stuck, or even the SNR Margin, they would normally forward this on to BTW who could reset them for me?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Tue 29-Jan-13 22:20:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-13 22:28:33
Print Post

IP Profile is nothing to do with Openreach

(learned) Tue 29-Jan-13 22:32:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But can't the ISP or Openreach see the current IP Profile and its history from their systems? From the phone call I had it seemed like it could be sorted that way. Maybe they just have to elevate it to BTW if they find the Profile is stuck?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Tue 29-Jan-13 22:33:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to