General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-13 22:42:27
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

The ISP can, and so can BT Wholesale see ip profile and its history. ISP gets notified of changes in a report called the Delta report.

But on ADSL and ADSL2+ services the IP Profile is nothing to do with Openreach and the same with the target noise margin

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User matthewcl375
(learned) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:17:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, its making sense now. Who can actually reset the IP Profile and Target Noise Margin? Can the ISP do that or do they have to request it from BTW?

And what does Openreach do related to all of this? The guy seemed pretty sure it was going to involve Openreach crazy
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:17:53
Print Post

Openreach deal only with physical copper line. They may be able to read the instantaneous figures but that's about all; they can do sweet f.a. about them.

Focus on that your future is in the hands of BTw & the ISP grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 29-Jan-13 23:23:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:21:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
The guy seemed pretty sure it was going to involve Openreach
They just send out OR in the hope he will find something wrong with your wiring and then they won't have to bother BTw, who control the parameters.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:30:45
Print Post

The complication that hasn't been made properly clear to you is that Tesco isn't really your ISP. C & W are. Tesco just pulls in the customers and one way or another pay C & W todeliver.

So you ring Tesco who pass it to C & W, who do one of two things:

- don't realise it isn't their LLu and get in a complete dither;
- do realise and with luck pass it on to BT Wholesale.

Just for interest, run www.speedtest.net and see what ISP it says it is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:31:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Or they're just clueless.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User matthewcl375
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 00:29:32
Print Post

Thing is, they're not sending anyone out, YET. He suspected it to be the IP Profile, and said he would talk to network team about it, hopefully they will advise against calling out Openreach and will know what the right thing is to do. Otherwise I'm stuck here waiting for the BT system to auto-reset my Profile which could be anywhere from tomorrow to next week (tomorrow will be 3 days since it went wrong, although i have restarted router twice within that time frame)

@RobertoS tried speedtest, it shows Cable and Wireless UK as my ISP and I'm getting 0.13 down, 0.36 up, exactly in line with my current 0.14 IP Profile

Edited by matthewcl375 (Wed 30-Jan-13 00:39:25)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Jan-13 09:24:43
Print Post

If Openreach can see that data then it breaks equivalence rules, as they cannot see data from other providers DSLAM

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Jan-13 11:41:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was talking about the instantaneous figures they can see on their meters, which are the same as the router's ADSL Status, like Syncs, current NMs, Attenuations, which anyone can see, regardless of whose DSLAM it is.

For all I know they may be able to see IP Profiles, as these are "publicly" available thro' BTw Speedtester at the premises.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 11:49:43
Print Post

pretty standard to despatch Openreach regardless of the actual symptoms - BT Retail send out Openreach when the issue is PPP negotiation failures, for example. If they call in advance you can save them a trip from the exchange smile

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to