General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Jan-13 12:55:04
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I know for sure BT Wholesale can see the history and current router stats, some type of history view is available to providers, but its not the full set of data I think

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Jan-13 14:57:38
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Who can actually reset the IP Profile .....

When you've time have a read through this and the rest of the website.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Jan-13 15:47:40
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Perhaps I should run a service where I vet requests to send out Openreach engineers £5 for each one, a small price to pay and save Openreach a truck roll smile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User matthewcl375
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 17:17:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Here's an update: Just got home from work, IP Profile now UP at 4Mbps laugh

In the BTW test I got 4.2Mbps Downstream and apparently the 'Max Achievable Speed' for my line is now 7.15Mbps. Router stats have not changed, noise margin is the same.

I assume the only thing left to happen now on my line is for the SNR Margin to fall back to 6Db (or wherever it was before the engineer came out), and then for the Sync speed to rise in accordance with that, and finally for the IP Profile to go up to its highest which would be somewhere around 7-8Mbps.

Does this sound right to you folks?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Jan-13 17:47:18
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
I don't know if Tesco have a policy of bulk migrating people off the old 20CN DSL Max service that you appear to be on, or whether they offer this service at all. If they do, an alternative option may be to give up getting the target noise margin reduced on DSL Max and get yourself migrated to 21CN ADSL2+. Beware that you might be asked to agree to a new contract if you migrate.

OP going to 21CN WBC would be a good move for sure smile
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 17:52:56
Print Post

sounds about right, assuming that " 'Max Achievable Speed' for my line is now 7.15Mbps" is just the thing off the BT speedtest that tells you the max product speed

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 18:10:18
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

That's correct and that's the kind of speeds I'm hoping to achieve once the SNR Margin shifts.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Jan-13 18:30:55
Print Post

If this was my line then I'd do the following

1. Keep an eye on the SNR margin for a day or so
2. When its nice and high and its daylight probably once a week I would reboot router just to make sure that if the remote system has lowered my target noise margin that it is not waiting for the modem to resync and pick up the new settings.

A reboot every 3 or 4 days if the modem is otherwise stable will not be interpreted as a problem, on the old max services it should take around 10 reboots in a hour for it to think some thing is wrong.

(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 20:42:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

@MrSaffron That sounds like a good idea. Just been on phone to Tesco and they are saying 15db is a 'pretty standard noise margin' for our line, they also said they can't reset it unless we have a problem, as setting the noise target too low could cause our signal to drop out of sync.

Any thoughts on this?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:02:04
Print Post

6 dB is the standard SNR margin. 15 results from high degree of instability, if they reset it to 6 and it i unstable it will step itself back up again 6 - 9 - 12 - 15

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to