General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Jun-13 14:24:34
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet ....

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Don't forget there may be a diff between Contact phone # and BB phone #; it would need to be clarified which is being discussed.

OP did inform PN of change of Contact # but they would have had no inkling that that it also applied to the BB # as it is perfectly possible to have 2 diff #s for the 2 purposes, as I do.

Are you suggesting that the OP may have informed PN of a change to a contact number (an alternative to the BB connection number) but not the BB connection number itself?
Standard User NormanB
(experienced) Wed 19-Jun-13 14:31:20
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Are you suggesting that the OP may have informed PN of a change to a contact number (an alternative to the BB connection number) but not the BB connection number itself?

The contact number can be updated by the OP but the BB connection number can't.

plusnet -> entanet -> Andrews & Arnold -> BE -> plusnet Fibre

Edited by NormanB (Wed 19-Jun-13 14:31:57)

Standard User cavillas
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jun-13 14:59:13
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet .... *DELETED*

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This seems to be heading for a cat fight of sorts. As the issue has been resolved somewhat this post seems now superfluous. smile

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jun-13 15:08:38
Print Post

[re: NormanB] [link to this post]

Correct. I believe changing the connection number requires going through the home move procedure (even if the new number is to the same premises on the same line).

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jun-13 15:16:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
How is the distinction made between a contact number and a "BB line" by Plusnet?

Hi, Batboy, I'm replying to your post, but it really applies to a lot of the responses here!!

It seems clear that the OP did advise PN of a number change.

Although PN have acknowledged that they "understood" this to be a Contact-Change, it is not clear what the conversation was between OP & PN & whether adequate questions were asked (by PN, as the "Knowledgeable-ISP) & the responses provided by the OP (who "believed" he was advising of a Number (BB) change)!

Regards,
John
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jun-13 15:27:59
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
Correct. I believe changing the connection number requires going through the home move procedure (even if the new number is to the same premises on the same line).

Why?

The connection has not changed, the DSLAM doesn't change, etc, etc.

In fact, as this batch of postings have demonstrated that, despite a number change, the BB had continued working for 3yrs! It was ONLY the manual intervention of a PN Rep, who decided that the BB should be immediately cancelled!

As far as I'm aware, there is ONLY a requirement to keep an active Telephone Line & it is upto the Telephone Provider (in conjunction with the User) to define the actual Telephone (which is of NO technical concern to a Broadband ISP - other than as a convenient reference).

Regards,
John
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Jun-13 20:22:08
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Referring back to NormanB's post, which jelv said was correct, I agree with them.

On the relevant display screen in the user's Member Centre there are:-

"Telephone nnnnnnnnnn" and "Mobile mmmmmmmmm" in My Details
and
"ADSL Provided On 0000000000" in My Account and Payment Details.

On clicking the edit button you get a new screen saying
You can update your contact numbers and email address here.

If you need to change your address or the name of the account holder, please contact our Support Team.
Below that you can edit the telephone and mobile numbers and email and fax addresses. Not the ADSL number.

This seems to cover the perfectly reasonable scenario of a parent being contactable and billed at home for the broadband of a child at university, and any similar circumstance.

It was long ago accepted by PlusNet that they messed up in the first place. With luck, although we need to hear from the OP, the payment issue will also have been sorted out. What's the point of further discussion?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Jun-13 20:23:08)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jun-13 22:21:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It would appear that you are demonstrating how PN have set up their system, whereas I was querying the alleged "technical-constraint" - particularly as the BB had apparently been operating quite successfully on a "wrong-number".

Regards,
John
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jun-13 22:41:36
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I think it's only been working properly all this time with luck. If he'd had an issue with the line which had required a fault raising or a change which needed an order placed on the broadband provision (e.g. switch from 20CN to 21CN) I suspect the problem with the number might have come to light far earlier.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jun-13 22:46:24
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Yes, that's what PN said in the link I have already provided and I accept that is a reasonable thing to do as it is perfectly possible to have have a separate contact # from your BB connection # for many valid reasons.

It further transpires from later posts that PN website's user panel gives users exactly that ability online.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to