General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jun-13 22:50:42
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet ....

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
I think it's only been working properly all this time with luck. If he'd had an issue with the line which had required a fault raising or a change which needed an order placed on the broadband provision (e.g. switch from 20CN to 21CN) I suspect the problem with the number might have come to light far earlier.

I think you are right!

But I would suggest that is more to do with the fact that the Telephone Number is generally used as a "reference" to the circuit, rather than a technical requisite!

Regards,
John
Standard User NormanB
(experienced) Wed 19-Jun-13 23:10:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
<snip>
What's the point of further discussion?

I'm not sure, however for me there is a lesson to be learnt: if you have your phone number changed, no matter who your phone or BB provider is, always update your BB provider.

plusnet -> entanet -> Andrews & Arnold -> BE -> plusnet Fibre
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Jun-13 23:21:44
Print Post

[re: NormanB] [link to this post]

(Agreeing with you)
Which brings us to a thing that used to be expected of people. It was called common sense.

The nanny society seems to have declared it redundant, if not illegal.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Jun-13 23:22:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(learned) Thu 20-Jun-13 02:05:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
(Agreeing with you)
Which brings us to a thing that used to be expected of people. It was called common sense.

The nanny society seems to have declared it redundant, if not illegal.

I fully agree. If you change your phone number and you are assured by the person organising your change that you need not worry about your ADSL connection as the number change is automatically noted or something to that effect, then there is no need to worry since you are being told this by the parent company of your ADSL supplier (PN). The question of common sense (given the recent shambles) arises only at their end, whether the parent or subsidiary is irrelevant to the user.
As I recall I thought it was odd to see my old phone number in my members area shortly after BT changed it, and I tried to put the new one in, but for some reason it did not change, so it was reasonable of me to assume BT must have changed it. Subsequently, I went into the members area several times and saw my old number still there. There was no explanation anywhere as to why my old phone number remained static, meanwhile my ADSL was fine and working until PN assumed there was no service there and closed the account. PN came into this abysmal error only when they looked at the setup in terms of my forthcoming migration, they jumped the gun without looking further and caused a lot of hassle and loss as a result. A phone number with no ADSL service attached should have rung alarm bells when they were looking at migrating me and that should have stopped the premature closure.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(learned) Thu 20-Jun-13 02:11:18
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrispurvey:
I've enabled the portal login as the account was closed. So you can now login to your account and reply to Sharon or create a new ticket if needed.

OK, thanks for the info.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(learned) Thu 20-Jun-13 02:35:09
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I'd personally feel like a right chump if something I relied on to help make me money was removed and I didn't have a backup.

It is rather interesting to see all the useful comments mixed up with assumptions.
You may agree that companies that have very expensive backup services, repositories, external vaults, back/up IT systems, etc. when they have a disaster they are limping, their back up systems save the company from disappearing into a one-way big black hole, but they do not avoid the temporary deep wounds and substantial uprooting and only help to minimise the losses and avoid extinction.
Backups are tortuous and never replicate the situation exactly, as those who have suffered them will assure anybody. Fires, floods, etc. and IT disasters such as the story in this thread are painful and the worst nightmare for CEOs, and the pain is felt even when disaster precautions/backups are in place.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jun-13 03:39:03
Print Post

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

Thanks for starting this thread, I must admit that when I was with PN I probably only looked at my account details once, which was around the time of activation, to ensure that they were correct and it was certainly not just before I migrated away.

Judging by your unhappy experience it does seem that PN can not be relied upon to spot any important errors in account details which in the normal course of events could easily be missed or judged insignificant by an end user wishing to migrate.

The fact that you continued to receive a broadband service from PN on your line despite the phone number not being updated obviously lead you to believe that it was not a significant issue and, even if there were concerns about it's relevance, one would have expected PN to make the necessary checks before closing the account.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Jun-13 08:17:58
Print Post

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

I think by "backup" they meant an alternate facility - ie a second ADSL line, a dial up backup, 3G or whatever else. If BB is vital for business then you need alternatives as there can be issues at any point.

As far as your comment about BT informing you that you didn't need to tell your ISP... BT may well own Plusnet but there are chinese walls all over BT due to regulatory compliance. BT Retail will have no connection to Plusnet other than the fact they share a parent company. They are not allowed to deal with Plusnet any differently to any other ISP.

The fact BT Retail gave you bad advice is not the fault of Plusnet - so if you have an issue with that it should be BT Retail you take it up with. Plusnet have admitted a failing in their systems. They have (I think) admitted that your case was then not handled properly. They are trying to rectify the issue.

If you still aren't satisfied then I would suggest you need to write to Plusnet and tell them what would satisfy you (whether that is a written apology, financial compensation, etc). If they then refuse to do that then you either take them to ombudsman/court or you write it off as a bad experience.

What you have managed to do is highlight an issue in their systems that hopefully they will rectify and you can have the (possible) satisfaction of knowing that others hopefully won't go through what you did - it's down to you as to whether that gives you any satisfaction of helping your fellow man/woman.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jun-13 11:35:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Correct, in my "backup" statement I did mean "alternative" but easily seen how one person says one thing but means another and the person at the other end can't read between the lines and understand the point. Case of semantics.

My understanding of all of this is that

1. the OP took the word of one company about what another company would/wouldn't do (regardless of ownership.) re number change

2. PN didn't have the procedures in place to allow them to check a changed phone/adsl number even though they did have a contact number or if they did, the operative pulling the plugged failed to follow said procedures.

Not sure how many people alter their number while BB is still activeon that line but I would have thought it wouldn't be many so this scenario is few and far between.

PN are now looking into changing things so others shouldn't have the same issue.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Jun-13 12:12:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ian,

One of the obvious issues here is that "Mr-Joe-Public" acted in good faith on the advice he was given!

He was told, by his Telephone provider, that the change of Telephone number did not affect his Broadband provision (regardless of whether BT or PN was the ISP).

From a "Mr-Joe-Public" viewpoint, he had NO reason to believe that he was being given duff info.

In fact, if you consider that you do NOT need to advise your Telephone Provider of a change of the detail of the Broadband provision, then logically why should he believe that the same (albeit visa-versa) was not true for a change of telephone detail. The fact that the arrangements are NOT reciprocal is bound to cause confusion & both the Telephone Providers & ISPs (not only PN) need to take lessons from this.

One thing that I do think has been unfair, to the OP, is some of the more knowledgeable guys on here taking the "High-Horse" stance & effectively berating the OP for his lack of knowledge! (e.g. lack knowledge, lack of common sense, etc).

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to