General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(committed) Sat 15-Jun-13 00:25:08
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet .... *DELETED*

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Sat 15-Jun-13 02:28:59
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet ....

Wanapoo ... I am taking the unusual step to post to clear your ideas. Of course there is something wrong with your post and a number of wrong assumptions and less than clear facts. You have already been told in another post here by another OP that migrating to an LLU you don't need a MAC code. So your post information given with a gospel tone and from a high horse quoting OFCOM was incomplete and misleading. We are not in this thread to split hairs as to whether an expression applies. The facts are that I told PlusNet I was leaving them to go to another ISP, they understood this perfectly well, agreed and confirmed it in writing with a date for the migration, contract termination, transfer, switch-over, whatever you want to call it. My new ISP and PlusNet jointly agreed this switch-over date, both told me that the switch-over would be transparent with probably around one hour's disruption on the go-live date .... I followed this closely... and with the crystal clear information I had from both parties I was satisfied there was no need for any other clarification ... but then PlusNet switched me off 11 days earlier than the agreed date. Whatever the reason for this is now academic, but you say PlusNet are not to blame and in some other post in this thread PlusNet are accepting they disconnected me 11 days earlier on 2nd May and accept blame for the blunder, thus another point where you are wrong and misleading. You should also know that when you migrate with or without a MAC code the incoming and outgoing ISPs have a duty to produce the change transparently and with goodwill they try to do just that. This is because it is in nobody's interest to cause costly service disruptions as many thousands of customers work online. Customer movements is a fact of life in a lively market that all ISPs accept and have procedures for dealing with it. Thus your euphemisms of misunderstanding cancellations, instructions and migrations implicit in my post (all of which I understand but are not applicable here in the face of the sufficient written information I have and the further facts now emerging from PlusNet) only serve to confuse the issues and mislead readers and need to be off the menu in this thread. There are no ISPs around unaware of LLUs, MAC codes, etc. etc. or unaware of what they need to do with new and leaving customers. Please don't insist on your peculiar line and call it a day, you are in danger of getting more tangled up misleading OPs, thank you, this is the last post I reply to you.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Sat 15-Jun-13 03:17:33
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Hi Chris
Thank you for your rather courteous reply and to the point.
I cannot reply to any ticket since I no longer have a service to enter the member's area and the matter is history and water under the bridge. I think the renumber needs forgetting in this case, it's a red herring, we have to accept that a change of number could not return a premature migration and deletion date 11 days earlier than the agreed date, and a member of the support team emailed me on 2nd May explaining "..... I am cancelling your service immediately as I can see you have already migrated", when this was clearly not the case, and my new ISP could not move the date forward despite my pleas and explanations of the blunder.
This untimely disconnection 2nd May deleted my static IP address and a dynamic address was provided instead. Upon notification of the blunder and the erratic alternative signal, I was advised that PlusNet could not recover or reinstate my static IP address, if they could they would, and the system was configured to redirect my parameters to a dynamic address. I did not lose my static IP address when the reconnection was made, I lost it when it was deleted in your control board on 2nd May and it could not be reinstated. My router had no problem latching onto the redirected dynamic IP any time the erratic signal came with my correct parameters, but the signal itself was not reliable, perhaps due to the demand load of such dynamic feeds, and it could be up for one hour, sometimes suddenly dropping in the middle of work taking place, and down for some 6 hours, on and off in this fashion for quite a few days.
You have seen the rest of the information I have given in my posts. I could accept this as an inevitable human error if a reliable reconnection had been made promptly and there were no further consequences, but this turned out a costly nightmare for me whose blame is exclusively at PlusNet's door, neither me nor my new ISP did anything to produce this shambles. I then wrote to your MD on 14th May explaining the nightmare and the costs involved, and I am told by a PlusNet rep that a team is looking into this, but I am still waiting for a reply after a month and all I have is excuses of one sort or other, not the way I would resolve such a complaint in my work as I would lose face and risk running out of customers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Sat 15-Jun-13 04:07:41
Print Post

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

@ExPLUSNOT

Firstly, OP means original poster. You are the original poster.

Plusnet confirmed that your account did end early, which was caused by you changing your number and not informing them.

You have focussed totally on the MAC code. I was mentioning the MAC code as its part of the industry standard migration procedure as defined by Ofcom since 2007. It was to highlight that you were indeed not using the standard migration code of practice as implied in your first post, and you had infact instructed Plusnet to cancel your service.

Making a complaint to Ofcom about Plusnet messing up your migration, would be void in this case as you did not use the industry standard Migration code of practice.

If you had followed the standard migration code of practice, and all the same problems happened. then I would of totally agreed with you that it was Plusnet's fault.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Jun-13 09:35:59
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

You have been warned about your conduct

Attacks on other posters are not welcome

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 15-Jun-13 10:05:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You have been warned about your conduct

Attacks on other posters are not welcome

I would call it humour! Though when it comes to personal attacks, there have been plenty aimed at me that have gone unpunished, which seems a little one sided to me. I can't help it if I cannot if I cannot abide know-all oiks that are unfortunately an element of all forums, even good ones like this. Oh, you forgot to ban me this time, are you going soft? smile

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Jun-13 10:46:39
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Why do you think you deserve a ban?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 15-Jun-13 11:04:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As I said, I don't, it's just that your post seemed to indicate that I did. Tell you what, I'll stand in the corner for half an hour!

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Sat 15-Jun-13 12:02:47)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Jun-13 11:46:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
If you had followed the standard migration code of practice, and all the same problems happened. then I would of totally agreed with you that it was Plusnet's fault.
As you have already been made aware that a MAC code is not always required for a migration, your suggestion that this was a non-standard migration is incorrect.

Therefore I totally agree that this was Plusnet's fault and I am alarmed by their suggestion that the OP was somehow to blame.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jun-13 15:08:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
It was to highlight that you were indeed not using the standard migration code of practice as implied in your first post
He never did! All he said in OP was that he migrated and had agreement of both ISPs. As you well know, not all migrations are by using the standard MAC procedure; migrations involving a Full LLU ISP on either side are not covered by MAC.

Indeed MACs or their absence do not come into this case. The whole issue stems from an unnotified change of phone # of the landline hosting the BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to