General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jun-13 15:34:38
Print Post

Off-Thread "Humour"

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
I would call it humour!
Beware! A student was recently convicted for what she would call humour put on Tweeter.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jun-13 17:53:29
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet ....

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

Who changed your number? The PlusNet system may have taken this as an early termination regardless of any agreed migration date. Sounds like they didn't give good CS after the issue but they can't be totally held as the bad guys.

People that work from home and rely on internet access should have separate email from their ISP and some sort of backup access. That's good business practice.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Sat 15-Jun-13 18:50:38
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

I am commenting on your post for the benefit of others who may run bemused at your comments and only replying to you directly in my last paragraph for your exclusive benefit. There was no need for a Mac for me anymore than a swimmer needs a cardigan. Your contribution to this thread has lamentably been uninformed, biased (for whatever reasons) and off-track so far.

That a phone number change could have produced a disconnection now three years after the number change is pure fantasy, the parameters PlusNet needed to delete my internet signal feed did not require the intervention of my phone number, an instruction to stop the signal (as it was done) for that username was sufficient regardless of the new phone number the signal had been redirected to hitherto i.e. I had a signal going through my line while the old phone number was registered at PlusNet and channelled by the carrier to my new number (which is what happened here in my setup) and so long as the signal was authorised and validated by PlusNet and the carrier, the signal always came through to me regardless of any old or new number. It's important to remember that I had a broadband-only deal with PLusNet and not a phone/broadband package.

I checked with BT at the time of the number change in case the change could affect my ADSL connection and they assured me of transparency here, perhaps because they knew my ADSL signal would automatically channel to my new number which they had just changed. I don't know if any other internet setups with other ISPs perhaps phone and broadband inclusive deals may need an immediate new phone number update to authorise the signal stream but in my case it clearly did not, witness 3 years of trouble-free service until the disconnection shambles. My internet feed, username and password were deleted by PlusNet without recourse to or involving a phone number change.

I am not making a complaint to Ofcom, it is my personal opinion that there is undue influence by ISPs (with BT at the top of the list) I suspect Ofcom to be a somewhat toothless tiger for users, like the Health Ombudsman influenced by the medical and pharma industries. Some adjudications always take place in favour of users, which of course gives a much needed air of impartiality, but the real acid test is when you ask for some compromising information they are obliged by law to give you but are unwilling to provide explaining for example that they do not keep that information in their files in a format that would enable them to extract it ..... Ouch ! Standard procedure for ackward questions.

Finally, and for the exclusive benefit of you Wanapoo, the first priority in your last post is to correct my typos/errors (OP, Orig. Post, what next ? CP Current Post, etc.?), we are not in a grammar or spelling or acronym discussion here, but your comment reminded me of a couple of major inconsistencies in your posts that need clarifying. I may as well throw my penny's worth here to help you write your future posts, and hopefully be more prudent when you think you can correct the words/typos/comments of other posters.
In your first post, in your own words you say ... "you would never OF received any cancellation emails ....." In a subsequent post you repeat the gaffe, this time with "... then I would OF totally agreed with you that it was Plusnet's fault...." From the top of my head I can assure you the correct use of the verb form is not OF, OFF, OAF, OVE or OOF, it is HAVE. Nobody´s perfect but I believe Confucius once said something like "...the superior person is affable but not adulatory and self-important; the ordinary person is adulatory and self-important but not affable." There are some ways to get satisfaction in preference to shooting in the dark. Horses for courses.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jun-13 23:31:05
Print Post

You have little understanding how ADSL BB is provided, moved and cancelled. It is always linked to a particular landline phone # by the organisations that actually carry out these actions, namely BT Wholesale and possibly Openreach.
In reply to a post by ExPLUSNOT:
I checked with BT at the time of the number change in case the change could affect my ADSL connection and they assured me of transparency here
BT Retail, who whom you have your landline, cannot make any definitive statement as to how it will affect your BB as they are not providing it and are not involved in its deployment.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Sun 16-Jun-13 01:01:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You have little understanding how ADSL BB is provided, moved and cancelled. It is always linked to a particular landline phone # by the organisations that actually carry out these actions, namely BT Wholesale and possibly Openreach.
I checked with BT at the time of the number change in case the change could affect my ADSL connection and they assured me of transparency here
BT Retail, who whom you have your landline, cannot make any definitive statement as to how it will affect your BB as they are not providing it and are not involved in its deployment.

Thanks for your comment, but I am not an internet tekki, however I do understand that to receive ADSL BB there has to be a link to a phone number. To the modern day from the days we used to connect with tortuous dial up modems, of course the signal never came through the window in any building. PlusNet have put forward the possibility that an unreported number change may have caused them to pull the plug, but they know this is not valid here. Neither is the argument heard in this thread that ignorance by the customer of the technical work in the background switching and connecting, and ignorance of the admin and relevant legislation, regulations etc. can cause such problems. The customer is always at a technical disadvantage because it is the ISP who pulls the technical strings and it is up to the ISP to advise the customer, double check the parameters and ensure all the technical pegs fit all the holes.

The number was changed about three years ago and BB run without any glitches before and after the change and would still be running on the same unreported changed number if I had stayed with PlusNet. I had no reason to believe that BT were misleading me when they reassured me a number change would have no effect (in fact they were very helpful with all the details of changing my number) presumably they meant my existing BB service would be linked automatically and transparently to the new number, and judging by the experience that is what happened. That was my understanding and I was happy with that.

The BT division, Retail, Business, Wholesale, OpenReach, etc. in charge of this or the other is irrelevant to me, when all I want is a service that works. Nobody would care whether a white/brown or white/black cow produces the butter they use in their toast, surely, so long as it is of the expected quality, even then some may argue the type of cow to be useful information for their nutrition, good for them.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Sun 16-Jun-13 01:27:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by wanapoo:
If you had followed the standard migration code of practice, and all the same problems happened. then I would of totally agreed with you that it was Plusnet's fault.
As you have already been made aware that a MAC code is not always required for a migration, your suggestion that this was a non-standard migration is incorrect.

Therefore I totally agree that this was Plusnet's fault and I am alarmed by their suggestion that the OP was somehow to blame.

I am glad someone else has noticed the persistent off-track suggestions from wanapoo.

In this thread PlusNet reps have tried to put the blame on me for something they were entirely to blame throwing at me the red herring of an unreported number change, knowing my new number has been working well with their ADSL feed for some three years. A case of doing the shoddy deed, compounding it by throwing a stone and hiding the hand, unworthy of a large company of their standing.

They have now apologized and accepted blame. I am curious to know what they propose to do next in response to my letter to their MD, and I certainly will publish the outcome of this shambles in this lively forum.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Sun 16-Jun-13 01:44:57
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Who changed your number? The PlusNet system may have taken this as an early termination regardless of any agreed migration date. Sounds like they didn't give good CS after the issue but they can't be totally held as the bad guys.

People that work from home and rely on internet access should have separate email from their ISP and some sort of backup access. That's good business practice.

The question of a number change is already clarified fully in other recent posts.

I did have some sort of disaster plan in place, alternative email, alternative internet access, but not surprisingly it turned out to be a very poor substitute, and the disruption was phenomenal.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Jun-13 03:35:57
Print Post

The number was changed about three years ago and BB run without any glitches before and after the change and would still be running on the same unreported changed number if I had stayed with PlusNet.
True, until they tried to migrate the BB hosted on that number and discovered it did not correspond. Then all hell broke loose frown

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Jun-13 06:15:07
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrispurvey:
I can see that it stemmed from a re-number that you had which we were not informed of from what I can see
Actually your T&Cs are deficient in this respect. The cust has no duty to notify you of a no. change. If you peruse other ISPs terms you will see many have this contingency covered.

Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Sun 16-Jun-13 11:32:22
Print Post

Thanks for your comment, but I am not an internet tekki, however I do understand that to receive ADSL BB there has to be a link to a phone number. To the modern day from the days we used to connect with tortuous dial up modems, of course the signal never came through the window in any building. PlusNet have put forward the possibility that an unreported number change may have caused them to pull the plug, but they know this is not valid here. Neither is the argument heard in this thread that ignorance by the customer of the technical work in the background switching and connecting, and ignorance of the admin and relevant legislation, regulations etc. can cause such problems. The customer is always at a technical disadvantage because it is the ISP who pulls the technical strings and it is up to the ISP to advise the customer, double check the parameters and ensure all the technical pegs fit all the holes.

Sorry for the delayed response to this delightful banter, as I dont come to this website everyday.

Even though you clearly admit you are not a internet tekki, and customers are technically disadvantaged. Making the concious decission to managing or make the arangements between the two isp's yourself, is the major contributing factor to the problems you have experienced. The Ofcom migration process was setup in 2007, to alliviate these problems from happening. Thousands of people use this standard migration process every year, without the sour experience of using your method.

Plusnet not having your current telephone number, is more critical then you think. If you had a fault, how would they of carried out fault diagnostics for example. It should of been evident when you were looking to switch isp, that you either had to input/give your telephone number to the new isp. If having the correct telephone number is irrelevent as you say, why do all ISP's providing DSL broadband ask you for it?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to