General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-13 13:03:40
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet ....

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

in reply to madman .... a number change can give rise to a cease order given to the ISP. Once they know & note it, they can ignore any cease order.

Common sense tells me that a number change does not equate to giving the ISP a cancellation order whether notified or not notified. In my case the number change was ignored by PN or was irrelevant to them either years ago or at the time of migration. They told me on 2nd May they were disconnecting me as "they could see I had already migrated" when they also had on record the migration date agreed was 11 days later. It could be they had my cancellation and migration date noted against the old number, but I am sure the number change came to light when I first complained and they looked at the migration setup in greater detail, they apologized and agreed my migration date was much later. They then reconnected me with a dynamic IP address to resolve the blunder.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-13 13:10:00
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrispurvey:
Sharon has stated the circumstances regarding your line and the timeline of events on ticket 69707347 which you can reply to if needed.

I can see that it stemmed from a re-number that you had which we were not informed of from what I can see, apart from your contact details were updated. This eventually led to the issues that arose.

We unfortunately did close your account early(2nd May) which you brought to our attention so we re-activated your account straight away. You then encountered issues connecting and lost your static IP which may have been the reason you were unable to connect if your had any router configuration set for this.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can change in what has happened and having to see what was a very loyal customer leave with a bad impression of us isn't something that we desire to see.

If you need any information regarding your account I'll be more than happy to provide this as will Sharon.

Regards,

So far the letter from PN to me supposedly dated 6th June in response to mine to your MD dated 14th May has not arrived here.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 13:25:23
Print Post

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ExPLUSNOT:
in reply to madman .... a number change can give rise to a cease order given to the ISP. Once they know & note it, they can ignore any cease order.

Common sense tells me that a number change does not equate to giving the ISP a cancellation order whether notified or not notified. In my case the number change was ignored by PN or was irrelevant to them either years ago or at the time of migration. They told me on 2nd May they were disconnecting me as "they could see I had already migrated" when they also had on record the migration date agreed was 11 days later. It could be they had my cancellation and migration date noted against the old number, but I am sure the number change came to light when I first complained and they looked at the migration setup in greater detail, they apologized and agreed my migration date was much later. They then reconnected me with a dynamic IP address to resolve the blunder.

Common sense, would be for you to check my profile.

{Hint} Retired BT ADSL/SDSL engineer.

After 10 years of it, you tend to KNOW, that not telling your ISP of a number change is a bad idea.

And yes, it's is possible for it to generate a cease order, that is then passed on to the ISP.

And yes, I know that a change to LLU does not need a MAC, BUT I would always get one, if for no other reason, than to cover myself if it all goes pear shaped.

plusnet Fibre Unlimited
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 13:35:37
Print Post

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ExPLUSNOT:
If there was no redirection and signals would follow the landline cable which was never changed (and the phone number is so critical), can anyone explain to which phone number was the landline attached and signals directed to ? the old number or the new one? For the signals to arrive (and they did arrive) they would have to be sent to the new number whether that number is redirected or registered in the ISPs records or not.
You still don't get it! In the everyday running of BB the signals are not sent to any particular phone #; they are pumped out of a particular port of the exchange kit, the DSLAM, to which your line is already permanently connected to and sent down your particular stretch of landline wire. It is only when your BB is 1st connected, or reconnected as in your case, that your phone # is associated, or dissociated, with that particular port of the DSLAM that will be supplying your BB from then on. That's where it all went wrong! It was then discovered that the numbers did not correspond.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 14:26:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by MadMan:
Common sense, would be for you to check my profile.

{Hint} Retired BT ADSL/SDSL engineer.

After 10 years of it, you tend to KNOW, that not telling your ISP of a number change is a bad idea.

And yes, it's is possible for it to generate a cease order, that is then passed on to the ISP.

And yes, I know that a change to LLU does not need a MAC, BUT I would always get one, if for no other reason, than to cover myself if it all goes pear shaped.

Common sense would suggest that the OP's Telephone Supplier (BT) knew what they were talking about when it came to the "implications" of a Telephone Number change.

Unfortunately, or so it appears, BT's info was not particularly competent.

However, not withstanding any of that lot, the fact is that the number change occurred THREE years ago & did NOT create (surprisingly) any issues.

It is clear that the recent Migration request caused someone in PN to correlate these details & they found the anomaly.

Instead of realising that a migration was already in place, NOR bothering to check with their own customer, the PN Rep arbitrarily terminated the service (as admitted by PN).

You can berate the OP for not fully understanding the nuances of the Telephone/Broadband interaction, but all he did was to listen to the info given to him by both PN & BT (as well as any info given to him by his new ISP). It should NOT need someone with the experience of an ex-BT ADSL/SDSL engineer to be able to interpret the ISP advice!

Edited to correct a typo! (Thanks XRaySpeX)

Regards,
John

Edited by johnjburness (Mon 17-Jun-13 14:53:45)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 14:50:00
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet .... *DELETED*

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 14:54:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by johnjburness:
It should NOT need someone with the experience of an ex-BT ADSL/SDSL engineer to be able to interpret the ISP advice!
I think you meant to say.

Whoops!

Corrected!

Regards,
John
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 18:07:36
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
Common sense would suggest that the OP's Telephone Supplier (BT) knew what they were talking about when it came to the "implications" of a Telephone Number change.

Unfortunately, or so it appears, BT's info was not particularly competent.

However, not withstanding any of that lot, the fact is that the number change occurred THREE years ago & did NOT create (surprisingly) any issues.

BT Retail (for phone) would only know how a number change would effect ADSL if they supply that also. Nothing would happen, as they would change the records for both as required.

Now, with phone & broadband with different supplies, it's a totally different ballgame.
The broadband supplier needs to know the phone number, if it gets changed.
If not for now, then further down the line. (as in this case).

For normal interaction with customer, the ISP would use the username.
Normally, the phone number is of no concern to the ISP, until migration/cease, etc.

The computer records of the phone provider, broadband provider, BT wholesale & Openreach, need to agree, else there will be problems as some stage.

It is clear that the recent Migration request caused someone in PN to correlate these details & they found the anomaly.

Instead of realising that a migration was already in place, NOR bothering to check with their own customer, the PN Rep arbitrarily terminated the service (as admitted by PN).

You can berate the OP for not fully understanding the nuances of the Telephone/Broadband interaction, but all he did was to listen to the info given to him by both PN & BT (as well as any info given to him by his new ISP). It should NOT need someone with the experience of an ex-BT ADSL/SDSL engineer to be able to interpret the ISP advice!

It's not rocket science, it should be common sense, that something like a number change, should be given to the ISP, if only for reference.

plusnet Fibre Unlimited
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jun-13 18:48:50
Print Post

This is a really interesting topic: I didn't realise that an ISP could continue providing broadband to what was presumably a phone number no longer in use.

In another thread where PN's terms and conditions are being discussed it seems that if line rental is terminated (though not specifically the phone number changed) then the broadband would cease and early termination charges could apply.

If it was discovered during the migration process that broadband was being to supplied to a number no longer in use (perhaps PN's system judged that the original number was inactive and line rental had terminated) then there would be an immediate cease placed on the broadband service?

Even if the OP had notified PN of the number change, several years ago, that would perhaps have been no guarantee that the system would have updated correctly - the fact that BT retail were handling the issue was for the OP sufficient and any further intervention by him at that stage may have caused unnecessary complications?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 19:12:27
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In another thread where PN's terms and conditions are being discussed it seems that if line rental is terminated (though not specifically the phone number changed) then the broadband would cease and early termination charges could apply.

(perhaps PN's system judged that the original number was inactive and line rental had terminated)
You are barking up the wrong tree! Line rental was never with PN and so was never terminated with them nor subject to their T&Cs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to