General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Tue 18-Jun-13 00:24:36
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet ....

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

....It is only when your BB is 1st connected, or reconnected as in your case, that your phone # is associated, or dissociated, with that particular port of the DSLAM that will be supplying your BB from then on. That's where it all went wrong! It was then discovered that the numbers did not correspond.

Thank you so much for clarifying the issue of a number change and how it affects ADSL service. After your clarification I understand better the sequence of events and consequences. It seems that PN deleted my account prematurely by mistake in breach of the agreed date on the 2nd May, an action totally unrelated to a number change, this deletion involved my old number, and after I phoned them when I lost the service 2nd May they tried to reconnect it and then they came across the number change problem because the reconnection was directed to my old dead number.

Had PN stuck to the go-live date pre-agreed with me and my new ISP, this problem would not have occurred or would have happened only for a few hours which most people would have the patience to grin and bear it. I have read PNs T&Cs and I can see no number change notification required, and there was nothing in their recent email migration acknowledgements warning about this or indicating the need for a MAC Code or even giving the parameters for deletion to include my old number, which they should if this is a critical item.
if I had seen my old number indicated in the deletion parameters, I would have immediately raised the issue and the problem sorted quickly. This is one area where customer service failed.

If you or anyone else can think of any other scenario, I'd be glad to hear it. The problem goes back to their premature deletion for which they have already apologised.
Something else not clarified so far in this forum or by PN themselves. PN reconnected me 2nd May onwards sending me my static IP signal to my old dead phone number, I assume this did not work. How then did I get an erratic dynamic IP address which ended at a new phone number they were not aware of ? Can anyone think of a good reason ?
Thanks for your help.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Tue 18-Jun-13 00:31:28
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrispurvey:
Sharon has stated the circumstances regarding your line and the timeline of events on ticket 69707347 which you can reply to if needed.

Hi Chris
I now have a letter from Sharon Brown, but before going any further, I first need clarification of a number of issues that are not clear in her letter, and to get this done quickly without resorting to "snail-mail" I would like to email Sharon privately. Should I do this at [email protected] for her attention ? Thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Jun-13 00:47:51
Print Post

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ExPLUSNOT:
Thank you so much for clarifying the issue of a number change and how it affects ADSL service. After your clarification I understand better the sequence of events and consequences.
Thanks & good! I'm glad it's much clearer smile.
I have read PNs T&Cs and I can see no number change notification required
I have already pointed out to their rep here this deficiency in their T&Cs, that many other ISPs do include.
How then did I get an erratic dynamic IP address which ended at a new phone number they were not aware of ? Can anyone think of a good reason ?
Yes! I have already shown you that BB signals, including IPs, are not directed to a phone # but to a particular port of the DSLAM which was fixed up from the moment you were reconnected.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Jun-13 00:50:43
Print Post

Somebody who knows more about migration to full LLU than me will probably be able to clarify the process, but I guess it's possible that if PN had stuck correctly to the agreed migration date, with your account still associated with the old dead phone number, then you could have encountered difficulties due to the mismatch in phone numbers at that stage.

The fact that you were reconnected to PN broadband using your new number perhaps allowed the migration to eventually proceed smoothly at that later date?
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Tue 18-Jun-13 01:38:14
Print Post

.....Yes! I have already shown you that BB signals, including IPs, are not directed to a phone # but to a particular port of the DSLAM which was fixed up from the moment you were reconnected.

So from what you say it seems when I got reconnected after 2nd May my particular port at the DSLAM was fixed ... but do you mean with my new phone number? How does the DSLAM port know where to send that signal onwards? Is my DSLAM port configured with my phone number all the time so that the destination of the signal coming from my port is then routed to my phone ? Is the DSLAM responsible for allocating signals to destination phone numbers from specific ports ?
I think what you mean by "being fixed up from the moment I was reconnected" is that my new phone number must have come up and been associated at some point (at the DSLAM?) upon reconnection. Does this make sense ? Thanks in advance, things are becoming a lot clearer with your comments.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Tue 18-Jun-13 01:45:53
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Somebody who knows more about migration to full LLU than me will probably be able to clarify the process, but I guess it's possible that if PN had stuck correctly to the agreed migration date, with your account still associated with the old dead phone number, then you could have encountered difficulties due to the mismatch in phone numbers at that stage.

Thanks. Of course, and on the migration date the difficulties would have been a matter of a few hours at most.

The fact that you were reconnected to PN broadband using your new number perhaps allowed the migration to eventually proceed smoothly at that later date?

Yes indeed, and the reconnection had been done using my new number. Do ISPs have means to test how reliable their active feeds are from their end i.e. to check if a signal is erratic or dropping ?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Jun-13 01:53:52
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet .... -EDITED

This might help you: UK ADSL - How It All Slots Together - Local Exchange

Once it is all wired up only the voice traffic is directed to/from your phone #, whilst all traffic between home and the exchange splitter travels along the fixed copper line to your home, independent of your phone #..

EDIT: When BT changed your phone # years ago, they just changed it in that PTSN box (by software) and as you can see it is quite unconnected with the DSLAM.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 18-Jun-13 02:02:24)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Jun-13 02:14:15
Print Post

Do ISPs have means to test how reliable their active feeds are from their end i.e. to check if a signal is erratic or dropping ?

Yes, I was having my line monitored recently, due to slow throughput during office hours on weekdays, and I had to make my router pingable. This enabled the ISP to constantly check latency and obviously any dropped connections over a period of several days. However generally I believe the internet, aka PPP session, has to be down for several minutes before it's recorded by the ISP.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Jun-13 08:21:20
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet .... -EDITED

Just to clarify for the OP.

You can look at the phone line and the broadband line as 2 separate things. They are actually split at both ends essentially so the physical line just happens to be carrying two distinct and separate services. There is no relation within the network between a phone number and a broadband line.

The confusion comes in the systems used by the ISPs and the wholesaler. This is because the only way you can identify a broadband line to them is by the phone number that the voice is carried over. Whilst it is not directly related this does allow the suppliers to know they are talking about the same thing. This is normally fine but if the phone number changes then whilst it makes no actual difference to the broadband it can confuse the IT systems and communications between the ISP and the wholesale provider.

So, the only time the number makes a difference is when the ISP needs to talk to the wholesaler. If the ISP goes to the wholesaler and checks your old number then they would potentially see it is no longer provisioned for broadband (because it says so in the wholesalers system). On that basis they cancel the broadband (which doesn't necessarily involve changing your line - they can "cancel" it just by removing your login credentials from their servers).

If they had known the new number then when they checked the wholesalers IT system it would have come up as in use.

This is one speculation as to what happened. The other is just that someone at Plusnet got a little gung-ho and hit the button a couple of weeks early.

As far as static and dynamic IPs go this again is not related to the phone number or even your physical line. They are assigned to your login. Because they deleted your login early the static IP would have been released and may even have been reassigned to someone else. Because of this and the fact your broadband only had a short time left they took the expedient route of assigning a dynamic IP to your login account.

Static and dynamic IPs make no difference to the physical performance of the line. What we are missing to this story is what the fault was with the line when they reprovisioned you. If you had not been disconnected in the exchange then your connection should have been the same when they set you back up again. It is possible that for some reason reconnecting you may have caused DLM to kick in and the issues may have been due to DLM setting in - this is pure speculation.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Jun-13 09:26:26
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Yep, that's it.

The whole system is daft, but that's how OFCOM wants it.

plusnet Fibre Unlimited
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to