General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richardcwgate
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 15:06:32
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Wynn continues to be very hard nosed and a little rude and has not offered any resolution. So I'm talking to Trading Stanards regarding mis-selling a limited service as unlimited.
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 15:48:06
Print Post

[re: richardcwgate] [link to this post]

I really am so much more wound up and angry than I should be about this.
I guess its the brick wall that I keep banging my head against that does it.
So it looks like Avonline/Tooway sold too much bandwidth and surprise suprise we used it.
Doing all the stuff Avonline tell us is good to use on their site like HD TV.
BUT if you watch HD TV at about say 3Mbps thats 1.3GB per hour consumed.
So if you watch over 1.5hrs a day then over a month you have eaten the 60GB
that makes you a abusive consumer? Really? Looks like they didnt do the math
on how much data would get consumed. So they have to limit usage EVEN on
UNLIMITED accounts and when you question it they hide behind usage policies.
When really, they sold us something they cannot deliver and we have to pay for it!

Edited by richardcwgate (Fri 16-Aug-13 15:48:38)

(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 16:52:17
Print Post

I do think its a bit rich for Avonline to tell me that I'm ignoring what they are saying!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 20:47:13
Print Post

Had enough now and I've been in touch with Trading Standards. The protocol these days is to contact the Citizens Advise Bureau who seem to pre-screen complaints before they are passed on to Trading Standard.

Please raise a compaint here;

https://ssl.datamotion.com/form.aspx?co=3438&frm=cit...

The more that get raised, the more likely Transing Standards will be to act.
So please do raise a complaint!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Aug-13 22:50:47
Print Post

Is there anyone that has TooWay and has connected a SamKnows White Box to it?

If not then it might be a good idea to get in touch with Sam and get White Boxes on TooWay services so that they can monitor and do a news article on just how bad satellite broadband is...

Tweet @samknows requesting a White Box and you should get a quick response, I did.

Standard User D_n_B
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 01:16:13
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I am having the same problems as everyone else. Download speeds of between 2.5 and 5.5Mbps most of the time in recent weeks. Complaints to Avonline have not provided any real explanation. Excuses include heavy usage during school holidays. They denied they had oversold capacity, but it seems pretty clear that is the problem.

I am not subject to the FUP as i have used only a small proportion of my 30Gb data allowance.

I asked for a refund in proportion to the degree to which they are falling short of guaranteed service levels. They said a senior executive would call me to discuss but no-one has called so far. no one on this Forum seems to have mentioned the so-called "triple guarantee". Part two says: "We guarantee that our delivered speeds (all users over all time periods) will significantly exceed that achieved in the UK on rural ADSL services as measured and published by Ofcom". The latest relevant OFCOM figure for rural broadband is 9.9 Mbps (http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/08/07/average-uk-broadband-speed-continues-to-rise/)."Significantly exceed" should mean at least 12mbps i would say. I would be relatively happy with this but it is not what is being delivered.

Of course, like many in rural areas, satellite is my only option for reasonable broadband - I was getting 0.3mbps at peak times on adsl. Does anyone have recommendations for alternative satellite systems more reliable than tooway?
Standard User fludge
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 07:42:57
Print Post

[re: D_n_B] [link to this post]

Think I would be happy with the rural broadband average... I often see .5 mb download speeds.

Re the wording in the triple guarantee... Note it says all users. Do you think they use an average across all their users to fudge the figures? Many will see these speeds but for those on spot beams 23 and 34, you won't...

If you were to use the triple guarantee to get out of the contract, you won't get your installation costs back so you are still well out of pocket.

I had a conversation with Craig Roberts the other day. He's the broadband director guy at Avonline. He is recommending I purchase a 2nd modem and service to split the load so that I don't get caught in the fap limit of 60gb.

Edited by fludge (Sat 17-Aug-13 07:44:10)

Standard User knighton
(regular) Sat 17-Aug-13 10:59:05
Print Post

[re: fludge] [link to this post]

So another 'triple guarantee' fail. Half the average rural broadband speed as published by Ofcom.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 4381 kbps (547.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5510 kbps (688.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 716 ms
Jitter: 28 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
8/17/2013 10:56:30 AM
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 12:35:23
Print Post

[re: knighton] [link to this post]

Does anyone know how us poor customers (I remember when that word had a meaning!) are supposed to see how much data we have consumed?
Using the sites Avonline quoted does not work.

checkportal.skylogicnet.com does not show the amount used
www.mytooway.net does not even exist.

Edited by richardcwgate (Sat 17-Aug-13 12:36:09)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-Aug-13 15:49:04
Print Post

[re: fludge] [link to this post]

Nice! Pay us double and we'll let you have 2 x 60GB instead of the 1 x 60GB we are letting you have on your unlimited service. I expect his partner cleans his face for him, using Brasso.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to