General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User niallquinn1971
(newbie) Sat 14-Sep-13 13:05:06
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic

[re: thelandlord9196] [link to this post]

Any updates?

According to Ruralbroadband, Tooway have done a few things lately, has this altered the situation?

ADSL goes off on Wednesday, no 3g, about 1 mile away from wimax, so sat really is my only option. Getting to the point of desperation!
Standard User mah
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-13 22:39:27
Print Post

[re: niallquinn1971] [link to this post]

Still pathetic.

9 p.m. this evening all it could do was 1.6Mbps.

The whole afternoon it has been running at 3Mbps or worse. What a waste of money.
Standard User NoBBIreland
(newbie) Fri 20-Sep-13 11:26:02
Print Post

[re: mah] [link to this post]

This issues appears not to be limited to anyone re-seller, I don't classify them as ISPs they have gateways to the satellite but Tooway/Skylogic are actually the ISP.

This issue is also present here in Ireland where broadband is a joke unless your in a major urban center and our esteemed government think that 3G handled badly by 3 Mobile is actually a national broadband strategy for a "digital economy".

I only took this option as like everyone else I need some form of BB and can't get ADSL (reliable) or Fibre, in my case I used this for work and its basically the same here, starting in the morning 20 down 3-5 up according to Skylogic's own speed test and degrades from there to completely unusable from around 5PM onward.

I'm on an unlimited package with the new re-seller, my previous re-seller completely ignored the issue or either said the exact same [censored] as mentioned here, so I'm actually beginning to wonder if they have been given a script by Tooway/Skylogic so I left them without having to pay any exit charges as I said that I would take them to court for a number of issues after receiving advise from a family member who is a state solicitor in how they were breaking their contract with me.

My current re-seller is looking into the issue, but I don't expect they will be able to get any joy but I expect no bulls*it from them in relation to the issue and that yes its the fact that the service is overloaded and Tooway/Skylogic cannot provide the service after 5PM when most people are home and want to go online.
I did hear from the engineer working for my last reseller that a new satellite is planned for the next six months or so but nothing on the Skylogic site about this.

Basically if everyone leaves these companies they won't fold straight away but will eventually if you share your experience with other forums and deter other users from joining them, but of course this means that those who decide to stay "should" receive better service due to the drop in users. Of course this means that another company will just take up the slack stating that the issue has been resolved so please join us and we guarantee blah blah bull . So to have this resolved really what needs to be done is start bugging your local government re the provision of real broadband, but to be honest as it was decided in the 80s that privatization of basic public services was the way to go to ensure that the public gets what they want (thanks or that Maggie, Ronnie et all) we're screwed in this case also.

Edited by NoBBIreland (Fri 20-Sep-13 11:34:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User davidt1203
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-13 23:41:57
Print Post

[re: NoBBIreland] [link to this post]

I went away in August unhappy with my download speeds. I came back last week expecting (hoping?) for an improvement. No chance. Speeds less than 3 Mb/s - typically 2. Pathetic and I am paying £40 per month for this with no alternative.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Sep-13 23:57:23
Print Post

[re: davidt1203] [link to this post]

You can't get 2Mbps ADSLx?

Or mobile broadband?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 23-Sep-13 23:57:48)

Standard User Gasper
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 20:28:59
Print Post

[re: davidt1203] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by davidt1203:
I went away in August unhappy with my download speeds. I came back last week expecting (hoping?) for an improvement. No chance. Speeds less than 3 Mb/s - typically 2. Pathetic and I am paying £40 per month for this with no alternative.

Thank you for sharing this, I certainly won't entertain Avonline, or any satellite at all...
Standard User MrRoll
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-13 18:02:32
Print Post

[re: Gasper] [link to this post]

Sounds like the same thing affecting people over here

http://toowaysupport.net/viewforum.php?f=5

I wonder what the true scale of the problems are!

Edited by MrRoll (Wed 30-Oct-13 18:41:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Oct-13 19:31:42
Print Post

[re: MrRoll] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrRoll:
Astronomical?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 21:53:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by MrRoll:
Astronomical?
A stellar response grin

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User cherylb
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 14:21:10
Print Post

[re: JamJamJam] [link to this post]

I have been with Avonline for 15 months now. Up to about six weeks ago the service was as stated. I have the unlimited package. about six weeks ago the speed and access dropped off. when I phoned them they said I had 'exceeded' the fair usage policy and uploaded 180 gig of something to someone! I dont have 180 gig of anything on my computer. They said they had throttled the service until the 25th of the month when it would pick up. It never did. I can rarely get netflix or youtube to work. If one device is working the others wont. I notice that my contract is 24 months... does anyone know how difficult it is to get out of the contract. We have spoken to them on half a dozen occasions and just get a different set of lies everytime.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to