General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stony
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 09:38:44
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic

[re: Tim_Myers] [link to this post]

Hi Tim (Hi All)
After 18 months of all the exact same problems as you and others in this forum I have threatened an OFCOM/Police/Advertising Standards/MEP campaign as their claims are fraudulent and their excuses (see Lies) to customers are false and misleading. The company is scamming the public. I had my complaint escalated and I received an offer to terminate my contract 6 mos early with immediate effect or a 20% reduction in charges for the remaining 6 months of my contract.

After months of insisting I get a site visit their (very nice) engineers finally came out 2 days ago to adjust the dish and check the install (only been doing this for 2 months gov & we're not internet experts just dish installers) yesterday I had an independent WiFi/tech consultant here at my own expense and after looking at the dish installation he called it diabolical (not earthed/cables running in the gutters instead of protected by ducting etc) - and after testing the signals he suggested we dump the satellite and go with another solution.

My message to this forum is that I'd be happy to support any class action law suit or campaign to get all subscriptions paid to date refunded - as an alternative.

The power of many voices is what will get them to act - otherwise its every man for himself.
Cheers
Standard User nickbox
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 10:32:47
Print Post

[re: stony] [link to this post]

Hi All
Although I won't say who we are as rules forbid, we provide an alternative KA band based satellite broadband service - not mentioned here. One problem in all satellite systems is that speed tests generally do not work correctly for satellite broadband.

The reason being is that the speed test will test a small file, or a ping, and based on that will then determine how big a file to use for the real test. So when the ping is done, and it takes over 500ms for a tiny file, it presumes it must be a VERY slow connection and then uses a tiny file for the main test - and the download time for that file obviously includes the 500ms latency of satellite.

In the end we developed a speed test which ignores the ping times and waits for the file to start moving before catching the speed. Satellite broadband, or certainly the Newtec equipment we use on KA, has very sophisticated acceleration software at both ends to remove the delay perception in general browsing. For large files the half second delay is largely irrelevent.

Cheers

Nick
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jul-13 11:42:57
Print Post

[re: stony] [link to this post]

Dish not earthed and cables in ducting. Sounds like overkill.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 11:45:29
Print Post

[re: nickbox] [link to this post]

The thinkbroadband.com speed test is written to avoid this scenario with the HTTPx6 test actually always running for 8 seconds no matter what sort of connection you are on.

We also show the actual graph of throughput so people can assess for themselves whether the connection is just slow at getting up to its maximum speed

Also I don't know of any speed test that uses a PING to determine the size of the main payload to use, the general method is to use a smaller file of 200KB or so in size. A ping is usually of the order of 50 bytes i.e. 0.05 KB

Acceleration software I presume you mean systems that package up the various HTTP get/post and responses to deliver to the browser in a single go. Alas with the growth of Ajax and dynamically changing changes this is working less well than in the days of static HTTP pages.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nickbox
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 12:16:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My theory - as a non speed test expert....

On a 20Mbps connection a 200k file would download in approx 0.1 seconds.

On a satellite connection of 20Mpbs that would be 0.1 + 0.6 roughly... So the initial file would take 0.7 seconds, giving a rough approximation of being around 2.5Mpbs connection...

Then the resulting file used would be too small to not take into account the latency.

Some other speed tests report 20Mpbs connections as sub 2Mbps, but we can happilly stream 5 or 6 HD streams at once from BBC iPlayer.

And yes the acceleration is just a single hit delivery. It does still work reasonably well, as a lot of the bulk is initial images and css etc., and there is some development work at newtec as far as I know to utilise the SD slot for cached ahead content.

Nick
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 13:07:22
Print Post

Only if the coder does the timing wrong

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:06:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also I don't know of any speed test that uses a PING to determine the size of the main payload to use, the general method is to use a smaller file of 200KB or so in size. A ping is usually of the order of 50 bytes i.e. 0.05 KB.
I wonder if he is thinking of speedtest.net, which does a ping test around its servers in order to choose one to do the speed test?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:14:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Probably

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:16:19
Print Post

I've sent you a PM nickbox - see a flashing envelope at the left of the top menu.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 19:27:37
Print Post

[re: JamJamJam] [link to this post]

No matter what speedtest is used it's always below 1MBIT until 1/1:30AM.

19:18:15 12th - http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3935/xxoi.jpg - 80.0KB/Sec
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to