General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mah
(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-13 11:40:51
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andew, I would hate to resort to Trading Standards but it is nice to know that they are available as a last resort.

I do think Tooway should very quickly sort out their advertising as the Absolute service is being advertised as unlimited but actually has that 60GB cap. I would whether that falls foul of the deceptive advertising rules?

BTW Bentley Walker did send us the announcement of the recent fair use policy changes, although they are insisting that it is not a change to the policy, merely a "clarification".

Edited by mah (Wed 24-Jul-13 11:43:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jul-13 12:08:07
Print Post

[re: mah] [link to this post]

Looking at one resellers page http://www.broadbandwherever.net/about-us/fair-access it details the policy which almost seems like a FUP turned on its head. Those who say I promise to only use a certain amount are penalised while the unlimited customers are not.

Dare I say that satellite broadband is returning to the OK for picking up email and submitting the odd form, but for serious fixed line substitute it is still behind the usage curve

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Thu 25-Jul-13 08:58:48
Print Post

MrSaffron I would say it's not even capable of submitting forms and/or emails at the current state.

It takes about 2mins to load a google search nevermind sending the required username and password form data to get into an MSN outlook account to check emails.

TooWayUK said:
peak hours (currently 4pm to 12am UTC weekdays and weekends). No traffic management is applied outside of peak hours.

Really?

This linked image below was taken at 8:35AM UTC which would be non-peak hours going off the above.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8327/8msr.jpg - 0.10Mb/s

0.10Mb/s and no traffic management is applied outside of peak hours?

Wes Luger: Oh, so we think that's funny, do we, Officer... Davis(?) Well, maybe we'd all like to know what's so funny! Maybe Officer Davis can make us all laugh.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jul-13 09:45:24
Print Post

[re: Tel3koN] [link to this post]

I have seen sat providers claim speed tests don't work, and the HTTPx6 test on ours at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html avoids the problem and actually tests the line for a fixed time period

The throughput graphs should also help identify if it is natural congestion i.e. up and down a lot, or if a throttled system one would expect a nice flat line even if slow.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Thu 25-Jul-13 11:07:18
Print Post

The speedtest.net speedtests are consistant enough with the thinkbroadband speedtests.

This linked image below was taken at 10:57AM UTC using the thinkbroadband speedtest.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5632/g20k.jpg

I didn't run a thinkbroadband speedtest @ 8:35AM mainly because there isn't a 1MB file download option available.

I wanted to show you the results using both of the speedtests so I decided to run the thinkbroadband speedtest after reading your post.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:32:24
Print Post

[re: Tel3koN] [link to this post]

That is just a single file taken from our site, I was referring to our flash based speed tester

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

That gives you a results page and images you can share without need for hosting space e.g.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
and
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13747...

Standard User abailey1984
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 15:06:22
Print Post

heres the latest speed test:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3568 kbps (446 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5665 kbps (708.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 722 ms
Jitter: 70 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
28 July 2013 14:50:40 BST

For the 3rd day running my speeds have been riddiculously slow i dont see how they can have throttled me back because of using 60gb data ive only had the system installed for a week and unless im downloading every movie in the known universe i cant see how i can have used that in a one week period.

These slow speeds are really stupid. my rx and tx levels remain unchanged since the system was installed so its not as if im losing signal along the way.

i want to know how i can end my contract with avonline and get a different satellite provider possibly SES broadband from astra as im sick to death of paying £65 per month for a service with speeds that are no better than BT ADSL because they are making 'guarantee's' about speeds, value and technology which are a load of rubbish. the speeds are [censored], the value is extortionate and the technology cant handle the amount of traffic being put through it.
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 16:37:18
Print Post

[re: abailey1984] [link to this post]

Surely Skylogic/Tooway need to do something to alleviate the pressure on the beams that are being severely throttled due to over population. why should we pay £65 per month for the same service other customers are getting on unaffected beams whos speeds are almost 10x quicker than ours who dont suffer from throttled speeds and heavy congestion. perhaps they need to look at the capacity for the busier beams and re-jig them lumping more capacity on the congested beams and taking it away from the beams that are over the sea and have only a handful of customers obviously without degrading those customers service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jul-13 17:38:15
Print Post

[re: abailey1984] [link to this post]

Are we sure it is the beams, and not a land based network issue?

(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 17:59:21
Print Post

from all the other post about speed related issues on this forum and others, i seems extremely likely that it is the beams of the satellites as beam 34 is the the main one where overcrowding is causing a severe and unusable slow down in network traffic there is also beam 23 which covers the south west of the uk which also suffers a degraded service but if u take a look at the spot beam map u will see that these are the beams that would carry the most users as these areas are the ones that BT forget about with their 'super wonderful super fast fibre broadband plans.
My argument is why have a spot beam say right down in the medditaranean having full capacity with no network slow downs at all which is because there arent any users on it when this capacity could be transferred to the beams where overloading is causing such issues this is a skylogic problem and we all know how useless they are!!! they should be the ones that need to re organise bandwidth and reallocate spot beams to where customers need the capacity the most. TOOWAY UK needs to take note on this forum and others that their customers are extremely angry and we are considering alternatives as they are unwilling to say there are any issues our isp's are getting fobbed off by skylogic who are intern fobbing us off with lame excuses such as the FAP which is a complete lie as how can i of used 60gb of data in just one week of having the service installed???
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to