General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PeterScott
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:40:28
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic

[re: PeterScott] [link to this post]

If the landline is no good, I will just have to wait until 4G or BT permanent wifi drops to an acceptable price level. Tooway are nuts. There will be many other methods of connection soon, and they will just be left with those living in extreme rural areas.
Standard User mah
(newbie) Sun 04-Aug-13 21:09:17
Print Post

[re: PeterScott] [link to this post]

Good idea, Peter.

We would certainly be happy with a 10/1Mbps service that is usually 10/1.

With the landline ISPs - BT and BE - both have been upfront about the speeds we will get, even though we are a good way from the exchange and the speeds don't look pretty. But what we get, even during the evening peak, is within 10-20% of the speeds their sales reps told us to expect when we were going through the sign-up process.

Mark
Standard User Snapper3166
(newbie) Mon 05-Aug-13 21:04:12
Print Post

[re: mah] [link to this post]

I would just like to echo the comments on here, I'm not interested if the issue lies with Avonline / Tooway or the Dalai Lama..... I signed up for 20Mb up / 6Mb down, I would not really be bothered if that meant i got 10/3... but I get 0.3 as an average during my use!!!

As for 'Fair Usage Policy', fair on who exactly? The terms are at best baffling (rolling 4 week averages?!?! WHAT?) and if you do hit it the penalty is errrrrrrrrrrr 98% service loss. Last time I contacted Avonline I was told by stuart that it also a combined total of upload/download usage?!?!?

Further to that I have not had 1 single communication from anyone about my service being changed, I only even know about it because of this thread.

Off topic - Im not even sure there figures on usage are correct, the last tim I rang up I was told I had used 25 Gb of traffic, yet my router has traffic monitoring and stated less than 5Gb!

I am sorry but to ANYONE reading this considering Sat broadband as a solution, stay as far away from it as you can, then go a little bit further. It has been the worse decision I have made, 3Mb ADSL was massively better than the experience I have had. They have failed on numerous 'Guarantee's' they advertise yet if you contact them for a refund or to get out of contract they just laugh at the suggestion.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User knighton
(regular) Tue 06-Aug-13 18:28:16
Print Post

[re: Snapper3166] [link to this post]

I have to chime in here after giving Avonline a big 'up' when first installed in May this year.
Currently downloading at 17KB/s on their Ultimate package.
Recent speeds appalling - I am back to Youtube as a slideshow and unable to stream Netflix following my immediate subscription after install. Very unhappy as no other option available - noBB by copper (7km from exchange on EO line) and no 3/4g.
Standard User richardcwgate
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-13 18:11:13
Print Post

[re: knighton] [link to this post]

I came across this thread after I'd been doing some testing after having some problems with AVonline over the past week or so. I signed up for the Ultimate package which has "UNLIMITED" data usage as we have a house full of iPads, iPhones, Macs PCs, Android phones, Roku, Apple TV, Smart TVs etc etc etc. Love my gadgets. It was fine until recently getting 20Mbps most of the time. but now I'm sub 2Mbps a 90% reduction. When I called them I was told my connection was being throttled as I had exceeded 60GB/month BUT BUT BUT I'm not getting held back a peak times its all the time. Netflix now only runs in low def and stalls. My understanding of the word UNLIMITED sees to be very different from their's.

Edited by richardcwgate (Mon 12-Aug-13 18:15:45)

Standard User niallquinn1971
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 17:32:03
Print Post

[re: richardcwgate] [link to this post]

First post, be gentle with me. I'm on a 2 year contract with Demon, comes to it's end this Friday. On a very long line, lucky if it syncs at 300kbps. So, was going to go for Tooway, until I read this thread.

After the current month or so, can anyone give me hope and tell me, "yeah iit's a bit slow in the day time, but is fine after 11pm"?.

That I can live with!

Thanks!

Edited by niallquinn1971 (Tue 13-Aug-13 17:36:47)

Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 21:26:01
Print Post

[re: niallquinn1971] [link to this post]

My advice is do not bother. I have jumped through every hoop that's been presented, I am within all allowances - monthly, weekly 20% of peak use etc and my speed is the worst for weeks.

I would guess that all hoops are presented as being ever more difficult to satisfy, but once you do so, they are just excuses for the real reason - beats me what it is but there must be one.

I would not recommend signing up, as even if you are allowed to opt out early, you have still paid for installation .... wish I'd never had the idea
Standard User mah
(newbie) Wed 14-Aug-13 07:23:37
Print Post

The only time it is fine is between midnight and 8 a.m.

Based on our experience and that of someone else who posted here, I wonder if they give new customers 20Mbps for the first month - but after that the performance is miserable (and even worse, unpredictably miserable).

The bigger problem is that one is completely locked into this, ahem, "service" for 24 months. There is no way to get out - our contract states that even if the contract is ended early, the mark (a.k.a. "customer") must pay subs for the full period of the contract.

DON'T DO IT!

Edited by mah (Wed 14-Aug-13 07:24:40)

Standard User richardcwgate
(newbie) Wed 14-Aug-13 10:00:59
Print Post

[re: mah] [link to this post]

Here's a get out for anyone that can get another service in your area.
This is part of their "Triple Guarantee" from their web site....

Our Technology Guarantee

Don’t worry about what may come along in the future.

Install Avonline satellite broadband now.

Start enjoying real, fast 20Mbps broadband immediately.

If a faster service does arrive at your home in the future, no matter where you are in the contract, just give us 30 days notice and we’ll cancel the contract - all we ask is that you return the hardware to us safely.
Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Wed 14-Aug-13 13:36:44
Print Post

I'm on the unlimited (£65/month) deal with Tooway for my business broadband use, as I cant get fibre or cable.
Like many others here, I got 6 up / 20 down after installing the dish back in February when it was a real lifesaver for my work - but now it fluctuates wildly. Sometimes I get great speeds, other times not so. A test done a few minutes ago show 1 up / 3 down - not as bad as some have reported but not great either. My ADSL is quicker. Thankfully only in a 12 month contract...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to