General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-13 17:04:41
Print Post

Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic

[link to this post]

I switched to Satellite Broadband provided by Avonline as 20mb speeds were quite appealing after receiving speeds of 1mb and below from Orange.

Initially no real probe, speed tests suggest I wasnt getting close to 20mb very often but it worked.

For past three weeks, the service takes a dive in the evening, I thought this started about 7pm but having tried it earlier, its more like 5pm and today about 4pm. Speedtests provided by Avonline suggest I am getting 20mb and 5mb upload but all other tests suggest between 1 and 2mb download and ?? upload.

Often their own speedtest stalls on the upload all together or eventually returns a result of 0.1mb or similar

As a family, we come home from work and school and want to watch things online at a time to suit us as terrestrial tv is a bit dire. The service is unavailable at this key time and remains down until 1 or 2 am.

After calling several times a day and following all advice, done tests, waited etc .... three weeks later I still have no improvement and I am paying £65 per month for ???

The technical line is usually answered by Adam or Stewart and the requests are usually 'do a speedtest' and we will monitor it overnight .... last weekend the reason given was maintenance on the satellite and it should all be ok now - it wasn't. Today after three calls, and Adam taking 5 mins out to speak to someone else, the reason given is ....... it's high volume users spoiling it for the rest of you good guys.

This doesnt wash. The problem would affect everyone using Satellite Broadband, My area, UK, Europe. It would be all over the internet, their phone lines would be jammed, there would be some urgency and pressure to sort it out, there would be an immediate answer on the phone instead of 'mmm thats unusual'

Its implied that everyone is affected, I dont think thats the case at all.

I have been fed a load of bull.

So can I reach out to the wider world and ask for other peoples experiences please, if there are other forums or avenues to follow please advise
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Jul-13 23:19:09
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic

[re: JamJamJam] [link to this post]

used to be with eclipse on their upto 8 mb service, was up and down like a [censored] yo-yo, initially quite good and slowly got worse with a few fast spots.

One day there was a fire in their data centre and the speeds went to as close as possible max speed. then watched it drop by 1 mb per hour back down to 50kbs and apparently that was ok.

MAC swiftly followed

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2814298960 - been with merula ever since, not the cheapest but the boss pays most of it smile

Tech support are very good as will usually do the obvious stuff 1st like a router reboot first and not have the need to do "tests" at home

worth posting your local exchange as can give more options, am on a legacy product (unlimited), but will recommend them to others

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User PaulSheffUk
(newbie) Thu 04-Jul-13 14:24:03
Print Post

I was interested to read your post as I recently signed up to Avonline primarily for streaming movies from Netflix. Their website promises reliably high speed downloads but to date the download speeds have been anything but reliable. I had a couple of evening last week which were ok but the latter end of the week downloads average between 1-4 MBps, and as you mentioned, this seems to be most of the evening from about 6pm - midnight. Speedtests in the morning before I leave for work usually average 20MBps as they should. I too spoke to Avonline who reported these problems to Tooway and told me that the response was 'a small number of users downloading high volumes of data (terabytes) were slowing the service for others. They stated that Tooway are trying to address this issue by limiting the data stream for high level users. I was told to give it a few days but I'm not hopeful. I'd be grateful in any updates you have. Where are you? I am in Sheffield, UK.

If this does is not rectified then I will be forced to terminate my contact with them after only a couple of months.

Is anyone else having a simlar problem?

Paul, Sheffield

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 04-Jul-13 15:02:26
Print Post

Does this not depend on what you mean by "anybody"?

There is a world of a difference between the bandwidth on the satelilte transponder shared by "many" users and the bandwidth purchased by the ISP to reach the internet.

If the satellite or terrestrial bandwidth purchased is too low (especially the bandwidth and contention) then you will be slowed down by other users who are getting a higher lever of priority.

Satellite is always going to be a limited resource but I think your only answer is to go elsewhere.

Do you still have your ADSL connection? I think you should.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jul-13 15:43:36
Print Post

[re: PaulSheffUk] [link to this post]

Which packages are you guys on?

Only their £64.95 package seems to offer unlimited usage.

There was a tougher set of throttling a while ago but this was removed in January
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5688-tooway-satel...

So it may that too many people are using the unlimited package in an unlimited way now.

The question is really whether the issue is KA transponder capacity - very difficult to fix or the Internet feeds on the ground which are obviously easier to upgrade.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulSheffUk
(newbie) Thu 04-Jul-13 16:19:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am on the XL package, one down from the unlimited package. Data download limited to 30GB per month but unlimited after 11am. Avonline still offer 20MBPS download and 5MBPS uploads on the above data capped tarrif. The support team said that it was a number of users on the unlimited packages that were taking advantage of the unlimited download allowance and were heavy users, thus limited the 'data stream' for other lighter users. I don't know how true this is - I'm going to give it another week and review the situation. I believe the contract is for 12 months, although I didn't sign anything - I would have thought that I could cancel the contract if they cannot deliver on the promised download speeds.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jul-13 16:25:12
Print Post

[re: PaulSheffUk] [link to this post]

There are 82 spotbeams and each one can support 475 Mbps on a KA satellite. I think about three of these cover the full UK.

So 20 unlimited users could cause a lot of issues if using the unlimited to its full extent in say North England, but someone down in the south west might be fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User moro833
(newbie) Sun 07-Jul-13 22:41:50
Print Post

Hello Everybody! This is Moreno from Barcelona - Spain.

I just purchased a Tooway Max 20Mbps/6up Unlimited contract 24m, about a week ago, all the system worked great with download speeds even more then 24/25Mbps!! .. till today, Sunday.
I cannot get a downloading speed better then 1Mbps and 0.08 up!!

79.99 Euros per month, supposed to be at least 20Mbps (18..17..even 15), I can understand heavy traffic or what so ever, but from 20 to 1mbps.....!!!! it sounds really NO COMMENT!! this it is just ridiculous.

Very curious tomorrow morning to talk about this critical issue with the Tooway guys.

I will let you know their "version" just after. For the type of person which I am, when things are not as supposed at all, I always bring them straight back in any sorta of ways..... I really hope this it will not the case.

Ciao!

Moreno
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-13 22:59:38
Print Post

This was bound to happen sooner or later, there is after all a finite capacity.

I however suspect that the satellite capacity is not yet overloaded but it is more likely that the purchased capacity on the satellite has been reached.

A trace route might show which link is overloaded, although with the inherit high latency on Satellite this might be hard to identify.

Any idea if this is a Tooway problem or just Avonline?

Edited by 5km (Sun 07-Jul-13 23:12:38)

Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Sun 07-Jul-13 23:29:58
Print Post

I've noticed this started last month 7th June 2013 with AVOFFLINE.

When you run a speedtest @ http://speedprobe.skylogicnet.com/ it reports full speed.

Note: That the IP Address on the speedtest is using the routers IP.

If you run a speedtest @ http://speedtest.net/ it reports below < 1MBIT.

Note: That the IP Address on the speedtest from @ speedtest.net is not the same as the IP Address @ skylogicnet.com.

So what's going on?

Also I've noticed that every day consistently at 1:30AM exactly the speed magically jumps back to 20MBIT.

I think they "AVOFFLINE" are limiting everyone and are resetting the cap at 1:30AM because it's too consistent to be a fault.

Tel3koN
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 18:45:21
Print Post

[re: Tel3koN] [link to this post]

The IP also changed to a 176.227.*.* Address around the same time this started happening.

Also I'll take some screenshots showing the sudden jump back to 20MBIT at 1:30AM and post them tomorrow 9th July 2013.

1:30AM/8AM is the only time the broadband isn't totally useless.
Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 19:29:27
Print Post

It's no coincidence that speedprobe tests give 20mb results when all others give sweet fa - the truer result if nothing works / streams.

Also no coincidence that when plugged directly into router as requested when calling support and THEY say just do a test now .... I get more than 20mb speed.

Plus the fact that for weeks every day the problem starts about the same time and ends at same time.

If the reason was a certain number of high mb users, would they really start the same time Every day, 7 days a week .... End the same time 7 days a week .... And not think 'oooo I like downloading stuff, I'll queue it up to download 24/7'

Fishy fishy stinky avonline
Standard User moro833
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 20:52:08
Print Post

Hello again to eveybody.

This morning I did several times the speed test thought http://speedprobe.skylogicnet.com/ and "magically" I got at around 9.30am Spanish local time download peaks around 21-26mbps * 5.60/5.82 up - 710-776ms ping and aound 10-20 jitter..

then just after I called the guys of www.europasat.com (where I purchased the Tooway kit) to discuss about the ridiculous drop in speed had for the whole Sunday day yesterday/

this is their reply also written by email:

Dear Mr Samaritani,

During peak hours of the day (5pm - 11pm) the speed would fluctuate more because of bandwidth availability during these periods.

We can see you have performed a few more speed tests on the connection and back to normal out of peak periods.

Unfortunately we cannot do much about the bandwidth on the shared network during peak hours.

Kind Regards
Technical Support

Ticket ID: #737271
Subject: When you were offline (via LivePerson) [MERGED]
Department: Â Technical Help

Tonight and right now, I am back to the same ridiculous speed around 1-1.10mbps and 0.09up!!!!

NO COMMENT

My reply to them Again:

Good Evening,

Unfortunately this kind of service has not been mentioned into your agreement specifically and clearly at all.

Right now 21.20 Spanish local time, I do still have a very ridiculous speed of 1.03mbps (0.09 up). Peak time or not, we are talking of a drastic drop in speed from about 20mbps till about 1mbps, that it is a 95%!!!

in your contract it is not specify at all of a drop in the internet speed of 90/95% for your expensive rent!

If this problem will not be solved in hours I am regret that I will have to proceed to a full return of the kit, exit from your rental and get a refund.

This sounds perfectly as a fraud.

If you cannot do much about it, please advice me on how to return all the kit back to you.

----------------
Standard User Tim_Myers
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 22:29:48
Print Post

You're not alone. I too am with Avonline/Tooway and have had a support ticket open now for over 1 month after the service speeds dropped through a hole in the floor at the end of May rendering it pretty useless.

I too have had long conversations with Adam and Stuart and have heard all the stories about excessive users, beam problems with the satellite, fixes going in soon etc. etc. I have had their engineer check out my installation and replace the modem. All to no effect. The service remains unfit for purpose with painfully slow web browsing and crawling download speeds that are akin to a 56K modem. I cannot use iPlayer, watch YouTube or stream my music from iTunes Match as their website says I should.

I will shortly cancel the service and demand compensation, I have already contacted the Ombudsman who agrees that the service does not deliver the expectations set by the Avonline and Tooway websites and is not fit for purpose, and I expect to be compensated for the appalling service.

Overall between 5pm and 1am the service is equivalent to a 0.5meg ADSL connection, I have a month of recorded speedtests that show this pattern is consistent.
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-13 02:01:18
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic *DELETED*

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Standard User moro833
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 09:53:32
Print Post

[re: Tim_Myers] [link to this post]

Hey Tim_Myers,

Hope you are well;

how have you achieved a sorta of positive stage with Ombudsman to try to cancel the satellite contract early with a possible compensation?

This morning the situation is pretty much as yours, it looks like it is getting worse everyday a bit more.. Today I am not getting more then 2.5 - 3 mbps.. coincidence or not, during my trial days, just after I received the sat kit, I had the speed even on weekend almost or more of 20mbps.. then 0.5 max 3mbps at any time during the night.

I spent Monday night till 3am Spanish time to check if it was going to be any better.. the result was No.

Their replies are always very poorly, without any possibility to theirs hands to do anything, sounds pretty bizarre.

REPLY AFTER MY SECOND COMPLAINT:

Dear Sir,

Our engineers have double checked your system and run a full analysis on the account. They have confirmed that the speeds you are seeing are due to congestion on the beam you are receiving from.
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to improve the performance on your system.

Please be aware the 20Mb/s connection is an "up to" connection and the speeds can unfortunately not be guaranteed at any time because the service is a shared network between users.
The speeds are bound to fluctuate depending on network resources availability. Our service provider has checked and rechecked your account and can confirm it is set up correctly and will receive the maximum amount of available bandwidth at any given time.

Kind regards,

Europasat Technical Support

Ticket ID: #737271
Subject: When you were offline (via LivePerson) [MERGED]
Department: Â Technical Help
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 12:14:16
Print Post

[re: moro833] [link to this post]

AVONLINE facebook description of their service.

Description
For home or work, Tooway™ satellite broadband delivered and installed by Avonline Broadband provides fast broadband 24/7. Not shared. No slow down at peek times. No frustrations. Avonline Broadband has the technicians and customer service teams to ensure you get what you want, when you want it.

?

frown
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 12:51:15
Print Post

Well time to post the speedtests from @ speedtest.net

11:10PM - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2824160555.png - 0.44Mb/s

11:15PM - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2824167275.png - 0.52Mb/s

12:05AM - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2824234634.png - 0.66Mb/s

12:10AM - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2824240989.png - 0.40Mb/s

01:30AM - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2824343008.png - 8.03Mb/s

Notice at 01:30AM the speed jumps upto 20MBIT.

The speedtest at 01:30AM displays 8.03Mb/s but I can tell you it's downloading at 20MBIT / 2.17MB/s at this point, see below for better result.

01:30AM - http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5606/3fgt.jpg - 2.17MB/s

All speedtests above are based on (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London timezone and was connected to the PC with the ethernet throughout.

The skylogic speedprobe gave a 20MBIT result all the time but this is never the case, it doesn't even check against my IP Address anyway.
Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:35:30
Print Post

Phoned avonline today. Had enough after last night, waited til gone 1am, worked then nothing at all after 30 mins. Today getting 3mb down and 5mb up.

Ready to go to ombudsman. Thought you had to escalate it with company and get a deadlock letter then escalate it to ombudsman. Have you done this?

Which ombudsman service did you go to? Think there are two and avonline will be with one and not the other.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Jul-13 00:05:47
Print Post

They don't mention any ADR provider on their website. Nor even a dispute procedure. The legal section looks very anti-customer.

A very nasty one is the notice period after the end of your minimum term. One month written notice required, starting at the end of the month in which they acknowledge receipt of that notice. Pardon? That could easily translate into well over two months notice.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User stony
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 09:38:44
Print Post

[re: Tim_Myers] [link to this post]

Hi Tim (Hi All)
After 18 months of all the exact same problems as you and others in this forum I have threatened an OFCOM/Police/Advertising Standards/MEP campaign as their claims are fraudulent and their excuses (see Lies) to customers are false and misleading. The company is scamming the public. I had my complaint escalated and I received an offer to terminate my contract 6 mos early with immediate effect or a 20% reduction in charges for the remaining 6 months of my contract.

After months of insisting I get a site visit their (very nice) engineers finally came out 2 days ago to adjust the dish and check the install (only been doing this for 2 months gov & we're not internet experts just dish installers) yesterday I had an independent WiFi/tech consultant here at my own expense and after looking at the dish installation he called it diabolical (not earthed/cables running in the gutters instead of protected by ducting etc) - and after testing the signals he suggested we dump the satellite and go with another solution.

My message to this forum is that I'd be happy to support any class action law suit or campaign to get all subscriptions paid to date refunded - as an alternative.

The power of many voices is what will get them to act - otherwise its every man for himself.
Cheers
Standard User nickbox
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 10:32:47
Print Post

[re: stony] [link to this post]

Hi All
Although I won't say who we are as rules forbid, we provide an alternative KA band based satellite broadband service - not mentioned here. One problem in all satellite systems is that speed tests generally do not work correctly for satellite broadband.

The reason being is that the speed test will test a small file, or a ping, and based on that will then determine how big a file to use for the real test. So when the ping is done, and it takes over 500ms for a tiny file, it presumes it must be a VERY slow connection and then uses a tiny file for the main test - and the download time for that file obviously includes the 500ms latency of satellite.

In the end we developed a speed test which ignores the ping times and waits for the file to start moving before catching the speed. Satellite broadband, or certainly the Newtec equipment we use on KA, has very sophisticated acceleration software at both ends to remove the delay perception in general browsing. For large files the half second delay is largely irrelevent.

Cheers

Nick
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jul-13 11:42:57
Print Post

[re: stony] [link to this post]

Dish not earthed and cables in ducting. Sounds like overkill.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 11:45:29
Print Post

[re: nickbox] [link to this post]

The thinkbroadband.com speed test is written to avoid this scenario with the HTTPx6 test actually always running for 8 seconds no matter what sort of connection you are on.

We also show the actual graph of throughput so people can assess for themselves whether the connection is just slow at getting up to its maximum speed

Also I don't know of any speed test that uses a PING to determine the size of the main payload to use, the general method is to use a smaller file of 200KB or so in size. A ping is usually of the order of 50 bytes i.e. 0.05 KB

Acceleration software I presume you mean systems that package up the various HTTP get/post and responses to deliver to the browser in a single go. Alas with the growth of Ajax and dynamically changing changes this is working less well than in the days of static HTTP pages.

Standard User nickbox
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 12:16:44
Print Post

My theory - as a non speed test expert....

On a 20Mbps connection a 200k file would download in approx 0.1 seconds.

On a satellite connection of 20Mpbs that would be 0.1 + 0.6 roughly... So the initial file would take 0.7 seconds, giving a rough approximation of being around 2.5Mpbs connection...

Then the resulting file used would be too small to not take into account the latency.

Some other speed tests report 20Mpbs connections as sub 2Mbps, but we can happilly stream 5 or 6 HD streams at once from BBC iPlayer.

And yes the acceleration is just a single hit delivery. It does still work reasonably well, as a lot of the bulk is initial images and css etc., and there is some development work at newtec as far as I know to utilise the SD slot for cached ahead content.

Nick
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 13:07:22
Print Post

Only if the coder does the timing wrong

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:06:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also I don't know of any speed test that uses a PING to determine the size of the main payload to use, the general method is to use a smaller file of 200KB or so in size. A ping is usually of the order of 50 bytes i.e. 0.05 KB.
I wonder if he is thinking of speedtest.net, which does a ping test around its servers in order to choose one to do the speed test?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:14:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Probably

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:16:19
Print Post

I've sent you a PM nickbox - see a flashing envelope at the left of the top menu.

Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 19:27:37
Print Post

No matter what speedtest is used it's always below 1MBIT until 1/1:30AM.

19:18:15 12th - http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3935/xxoi.jpg - 80.0KB/Sec
Standard User pandion7
(newbie) Sun 14-Jul-13 12:08:13
Print Post

I too have seen in the past weeks a severe slowdown in the Avonline service.

BUT the main problem if the service drops out randomly and then comes back occasionally a "modem" reset is required.
Standard User peterjscott100
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 16:04:31
Print Post

The situation is actually worse than you think. It doesn't look as though the users on this forum have heard the latest. Tooway is slugging the speed of the connections once you have reached half of the data allowance you have paid for. Their excuse is that some users are hogging the capacity. As most people have modest data limits (mine is 20) it can only be the unlimited users that are doing this. Guess what? *There is no slugging for unlimited users! *

I am about to write a formal complaint to Ofcom about this. It is much worse than the 'up to' scandals. This is a deliberate slugging in contradiction of the terms of the contract, not a fair sharing of resources.

I have used tooway for two years and the speed problem is very recent. The overnight crashes were not, but at least I was always getting 20 Mbit/s or thereabouts until very recently. Tooway has sold more connections than they have capacity for or they are suffering genuine technical problems. Either way they need to tell us about it and do something about it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jul-13 16:28:57
Print Post

[re: peterjscott100] [link to this post]

There used to be the more complex sliding windows for speeds, which had hoped had gone, but interesting to see how this one plays out.

Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 18:42:05
Print Post

They're liars if they say they're capping the users that reach half the monthly bandwidth allowance/limit because It's been going slow from at the start of a new monthly bandwidth allowance/limit.

Also I do not think it's got anything to do with users downloading high amounts of data.

The reason being why would it jump back to 20MBIT at 1/1:30AM, do all the users that are downloading high amounts of data get together everynight and all decide to stop downloading at 1/1:30AM. I think not.

I think it's got something todo with ground The Network Operations Center (NOC) servers load, maybe they should invest some of the multi millions per month into more servers.

None of what they're telling people makes any sense. It was fine 2 months ago for 7 months straight.
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 18:49:50
Print Post

I didn't mean that it has been the cause over the last month or two. I was alerting people to the fact that this is a new policy announced last week. Desperate measures?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jul-13 20:01:07
Print Post

Don't doubt you, but got a link to the new policy so can mention it in the news

Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 20:07:31
Print Post

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to see a regular pattern of vastly diminished speeds that are consistent in times, duration and speeds achieved.

As a company, do they really think we're that gullible to believe these same users come home, get on the web together and stop using the web at the same time seven days a week?

I spoke to avonline last Wednesday, was assured they would have a response by Friday. I called today (Monday) to be told .... 'We expect a reply in 48 hours' its like Groundhog Day.

I also referenced 'forums' and others experiences. I referred to this capping to be told, ahh yes that's not news that's on our website front page. Hmmm well only recently and you've never mentioned it before.

If anyone has had experience with Unicom in the phone line world .... This may be heading for just an unpleasant experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next time I call support, there's a recorded message .... Welcome to avonline, how do you keep an idiot in suspense....' followed by me hanging on and on and on and on .....
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-13 23:40:31
Print Post

Tooway Satellite Broadband Maintenance 17th July 2013

Posted on July 12, 2013 by Rural Broadband

PLANNED WORKS STATUS Starting

17/07/2013 00:00:00 UTC

TO:
17/07/2013 06:00:00 UTC

EXPECTED IMPACT:
30 minutes

PLANNED WORKS DESCRIPTION:
Network Maintenance on Tooway on KA-SAT service

Thought I would post this information, probably won't change anything though.

Edited by Tel3koN (Mon 15-Jul-13 23:43:52)

(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 17:21:47
Print Post

From the same source (Rural Broadband), which is a reseller for the true source Broadband Everywhere, this is how the new policy is written.

"Service Change

"A new policy has been implemented by Tooway (the platform operators) to help create a balanced network that is usable by all customers.

"Our services are built around the idea that light users pay less for their connection, and heavy users pay more based around how much data they use.

"This procedure ensures quality of service across all of our services, and no one experiences poor performance due to excessive use by a small handful of customers. If we did not implement a Fair Access Policy or FAP then we could experience poor speeds across the network with approx. 80% of all data allowance being consumed by approx. 20% of customers."

This original page had a link to a document setting out the terms. *All but unlimited users* have their speeds slugged when they have used half their data. The slugged speed was not specified. This is utterly illogical. 'Light users' will not use a lot of data due to their data limits. The heavy unlimited users are untouched. Presumably having committed to unlimited contracts the company doesn't want to upset the users.

BTW there have been several bits of Engineering Work lately. Didn't seem to to make any difference.
Standard User spacecoast
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 18:53:39
Print Post

Avonline are a bunch of liars. Justin and Stewart will just lie to your face.

We carried an evaluation of various DSL suppliers for a specific project and after being assured by Avonline that Tooway met our needs we went with them. We told them we were manipulating video streams for a project with a defense contractor in the United States and that the throughput would be high. We asked specific questions about any data caps or restrictions for heavy use and were told that there wouldn't be any problems.

After a month we saw a huge degradation of service and regularly only got speeds of less than 1mb downstream while the upstream bandwidth remained at around 6mb. This of course made it unusable for what we were doing. i spoke to Justin the liar who told me that Skylogic were having problems on their network and were fixing it but it would take a couple of days. Not realizing he was talking to a network engineer he spouted a lot of complete [censored]. I didn't believe a word and called a contact we have at Skylogic who told me we were being restricted because of heavy use.

I had read this forum so I decided not to tell Avonline that I knew what was happening just to see how far they would take the lies. For 10 days they told me lie after lie after lie. They were shocked when I told them I knew that there were 2 tickets open on OSS and told them what Skylogic had replied to them NINE DAYS EARLIER!!!!!!

Because we work with US defense contractors we are required to record every incoming and outgoing telephone conversation. I have a copy of every single conversation we ever had with Avonline, including conversations about caps where thet assured me there were none.

Avonline are conmen and liars. DO NOT use them.

Dear Avonline, if you are reading this, get ready for Trading Standards' visit. They were very very interested in the call recordings. Justin, much better if you go back to South Africa.

Edited by spacecoast (Tue 16-Jul-13 19:10:08)

Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 20:06:36
Print Post

[re: spacecoast] [link to this post]

We have clearly had similar experiences, the service for whatever reason isn't working.

Apart from the cost -vs- service received unhappiness, it's ongoing and we are being fed a few lines

For me, I would like decent speeds, or at least not to be buffering all the time. If avonline can't supply this I have to leave them. I need to make that decision and its based on others experiences and what they're being told.

Frankly I can't believe there aren't more people on the net and voicing anger and frustrations.

I think 'we' need to attack this problem not as odds and sods of people accepting what we're told and waiting but as a collective.

How can we do this? Good idea / bad idea?
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 20:08:40
Print Post

peterjscott100 can you link the post in question.

I must be blind cause I can't find it on the www.ruralbroadband.co.uk/blog
Standard User Snapper3166
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 20:21:07
Print Post

Is this only an Avonline issue?? Do none of the other Tooway suppliers have the issue?
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 20:22:35
Print Post

They shouldn't be capping anyone until they reach their allocated bandwidth allowance/limit.

FUP (Fair Usage Policy) should only apply to people who are not already on a CAP (monthly bandwidth allowance/limit) and not to people who have a set monthly bandwidth allowance/limit.

Limit the limited before they reach their limit to the point where they won't even reach their allowed limit within a 3 month period nevermind the monthly period. Yeah good business idea TOOSLOWAY.
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 21:09:04
Print Post

Afraid not. Its a site for customers accounts protected by password, not the site for all. It links to Broadband Everywhere's customer site to provide usage, speedtest, maintenance, account and other info.
Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Wed 17-Jul-13 15:09:42
Print Post

News today, after waiting for 'should have a reply in 48 hours'.

I am on unlimited and as such, I am in the high user category, apparently managing to use 60gb in last 4 weeks despite not being able to use the service in the evenings. I think usage was 70gb? Thats between a family that watches catch up tv in standard definition in the evenings .... nothing else.

As a 'high user' i am put into a 'pipe' along with all the other high users and ooo the reduced (to unusable) speeds are reasonable because of that.

Advice - use less gb per month.

But I'm on unlimited? Guaranteed 90% of 20mb speeds?

But other users on capped limits are getting the same restriction?

So apparently i'm on severely limited, unlimited, with a guaranteed speed of 2% headline rate for the bargain sum of £65

Must tell my friends
(newbie) Wed 17-Jul-13 20:24:40
Print Post

Well I can tell you I am also on the 'unlimited' package and have EXACTLY the same issue, unusable for the last 4-5 weeks....

How much bandwidth have I used since the 1st July? 3Gb! So I can tell you its not on bandwidth, if I could work out how to attach pictures I could show a graph of my daily usage.......

Spoken to support several times, always same reply "issue with service provider, they have put in a fix and it should get better"

I am really intrigued if this is an Avonline only issue
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Sat 20-Jul-13 20:05:21
Print Post

[re: Snapper3166] [link to this post]

Tooway changes Unlimited Service to XX-Large

http://www.ruralbroadband.co.uk/blog/tooway-changes-...

Basically you will continue to have poor speeds until September 2013.

Information on Speedtests below:

If you're using a speedtest between 1:/1:30AM and 10AM (UTC) the results will be floating around 20MBIT.

If you're using a speedtest between 10AM and 1AM (UTC) the results will be floating below 1MBIT.

If you're using the speedprobe supplied by skylogic @ http://speedprobe.skylogicnet.com/ make sure it's checking against your public IP address and not the modem/router IP address.

The modem/router IP address will give 20MBIT results.

It's advised you run a speedtest using http://thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/ or using http://www.speedtest.net/.

http://www.speedtest.net/ will display your public IP address.

Both the thinkbroadband.com and speedtest.net will display speedtest results based on your public IP address.

Tel3koN
Standard User ChrisWilson
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 11:04:08
Print Post

Would users of this service please post up their experiences of how this situation is handled please? I am wanting satellite, as my rural ADSL is flaky, but NOT wanting more headaches and hassles! Thanks.

Best regards,
CW.
Standard User ToowayUK
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 16:50:04
Print Post

[re: ChrisWilson] [link to this post]

Hi there,
I thought it might be helpful to provide some more information on the Tooway Fair Usage Policy. To maintain a quality service for all Tooway users it is necessary to sometimes regulate heavy bandwidth users at peak times, under a Fair Usage Policy, to ensure all customers continue to receive access to network capacity. As a result, we may reduce significantly the bandwidth available to the highest data users during peak hours (currently 4pm to 12am UTC weekdays and weekends). No traffic management is applied outside of peak hours.

The generic rules are as follows:

For S, M, L and XL Tooway packages; customers using more than 25% of their monthly data allowance during Peak Hours in any single week will be classified as a high data user and bandwidth will be temporarily restricted to regulate the service

For Absolute Tooway customers (unlimited package): an upper limit has been applied for Peak Hours, depending on the congestion levels in the network. Typically, the Fair Usage Policy will affect the top 10% of data users subscribing to this package, based on their monthly and/or weekly usage and currently equates to customers using over 60GB of data per month.

Network usage is monitored and customers who decrease their data usage or schedule intensive data downloads or exchange to off peak hours will have their regular bandwidth speeds reinstated.

We understand these measures are constraining for some users but they allow us to maintain affordable and sustainable broadband access for everyone.
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 17:05:42
Print Post

[re: ToowayUK] [link to this post]

It sounds complicated, and probably if I had time to re-read it properly, arbitrary in its meaning. Wouldn't you be better having a clear and concise data limit ruling? It sounds to me that both current and new users may now be chasing moving goal posts?

I can perfectly understand how a service provider may have consumers who take the proverbial, and you need to address this, but you need to do it in a way that is not open to misunderstanding, and can be seen to be a proper contract. To me it is all as clear as mud I am afraid, and biased towards you doing what the heck you feel like smile Sorry, it would put me off as a potential new subscriber.

Best regards,
CW.
Standard User ToowayUK
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 18:27:53
Print Post

[re: ChrisWilson] [link to this post]

Sorry to hear that Chris. The policy is basically designed to ensure that the majority of users get the best possible experience from the resources available. I wish you luck in your search for a provider.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Tue 23-Jul-13 18:31:43
Print Post

Have these changes to contract been introduced recently? Do you agree that the changes are detrimental to existing customers?
Standard User ToowayUK
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 18:42:42
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

The aim of the policy is to ensure all Tooway customers have fair use of the network capacity. Eutelsat's Tooway contracts with all resellers have always included this clause.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Tue 23-Jul-13 18:45:44
Print Post

Have the same limits always been in place or have these been reduced recently?
Standard User mah
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 18:58:39
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

We're not a Avonline customer, our Tooway service is via Bentley Walker but our experience is exactly the same as people who have posted above.

The Fair Use policy posted by ToowayUK has only just been introduced. Prior to this there was just boilerplate language that bolied down to "we can do anything at any time" (not that is different from the FUP language of any other ISP).

Of course what is really a joke here is that the "unlimited" service actually has a 60GB cap - the traffic management policy works just the same way if we go beyond 60GB, as when a capped customer goes beyond their cap.

After the first month we have not been able to make any use of the Tooway service at all - we found that it was literally grinding to a halt, seemingly at random, so I had to swing normal use back to ADSL to avoid getting lynched. Although Skylogic have been improving matters and the catastrophic slowdowns have not been occurring lately, we are still only getting a real throughput of 3-4Mbps during the evening peak.

There is of course an inherent problem with any satellite system, which is latency. Every network packet has to to get to a point above the equator, and then back to earth again, and physics cannot be cheated. So any satellite service is going to less than optimal for anything interactive (e.g. voice, or AJAX web services like Google Docs). There would be no problem with data streaming - except that the performance problems and aggressive throttling policy make that pretty pointless too.

As an IT professional what I have found most frustrating as a customer of Skylogic is their refusal to accept that there are problems and to deal with them. I still hope that ToowayUK and other representatives of Skylogic will yet prove me wrong, but the way we have been treated so far is nowehere near the service we get from our other ISPs BE and PlusNet.

So were we are now is stuck with an expensive, capped, throttled service for the duration of a 24 month contract. I should be fired!

Edited by mah (Tue 23-Jul-13 19:01:38)

(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 22:59:22
Print Post

Can you state your name and position in posting this reply please? I am still somewhat unclear in how your terms and conditions have changed, and where I can see your terms and conditions of usage, both previous and current. I am still VERY sympathetic to your side of things, but this needs putting on an official basis, with contractual agreements made clearer. Thanks.

Best regards,
CW.
Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-13 03:02:55
Print Post

@Tooway

I have not gone over the monthly bandwidth quote/limit "30GB" within the peak hours "7AM/11PM UTC" (4PM/12AM).

Although with every new monthly bandwidth quote/limit "30GB" It's still giving speeds below 1MBIT during those peak hours and even into the non-peak hours up until 1AM UTC where it magically jumps back to 20MBIT.

Yet you have said "No traffic management is applied outside of peak hours".

11PM to 1AM UTC is outside peak hours is it not?, again roll on 1AM UTC and the speed magically jumps back to 20MBIT.

You can look at my previous posts which confirm the above speeds multiple times.

I've used around "12GB" this month within the peak hours and it's the 24th, in 9 days I will get a new monthly bandwidth quote/limit "30GB".

In 22days I've used "12GB" during those peak hours mentioned above. I'm somehow meant to use "18GB" during these peak hours within the 9 days (6 days peak hours) remaining?

Could you also sort out the monthly bandwidth meter @ http://checkportal.skylogicnet.com/ because it looks like someone with little or no web developement knowledge has made that botched bandwidth meter.
Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-13 09:47:09
Print Post

Tooway?

Again, the explanation is tailored to the situation / person asking the question.

Tel3kon has demonstrated that the supposed explanation does not fit his case. I can do the same.

I am aware of the contract formed when I signed up - it was based on Avonline's agents discussions with me, any terms referred to form the contract, any terms not referred to do not form part of the contract, I was not directed to any part of a website to read any further terms, I have not since been notified of any changes, I still have not been told of any alterations to my package as referred to in the forum post above.

Avonline have several phone numbers and email addresses for me, I have never been contacted other than to be sent an invoice.

If it is proposed to alter my service and downgrade it to anything less than what I can reasonably expect to receive for the advertised rates, speeds and data limits then you are open to legal challenge by the customer and if appropriate by a group of customers.

My contract is with Avonline, just as others may be with Bentley Walker, my terms and conditions remain unchanged until I am notified by the company concerned.

My service remains affected and this is not what I could reasonably expect from the original contract.

I suggest that a definitive answer is given to customers affected, that is robust and sets out clearly what a customer can expect to receive and what the company promises to deliver. It is Tooway and their resellers that wish to move the goalposts, so it is clearly necessary to tell the end user what they are getting for their £££ and to be open honest and challengeable if you step outside of these boundaries by not delivering what you promise.

Whilst it is ok to spill the beans on a forum, I along with other customers require formal contact if you seek to alter my terms and conditions. It is also necessary to clearly state and to warn new customers on the resellers sites in plain english what they are signing up to BEFORE they sign up to it.

I can travel 50 miles in several ways - it can take 1 hour at 50mph or 50 hours at 1mph. The first is reasonable, the second is not. In the case of the speeds received, the first is usable, the second renders it useless for all but basic tasks which we would not be paying a premium for anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jul-13 09:53:34
Print Post

There was a PR push earlier in the year about Tooway removing throttling which will have led many to believe it was removed, not simply dialled down for a short period.

If customers think the terms have changed unfavourably and their retailer is not helping, then CAB/Trading Standards are the port of call for advice on where to take the case. Particularly for those who have purchased outright the expensive hardware or still tied into long contracts.

Standard User mah
(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-13 11:40:51
Print Post

Thanks Andew, I would hate to resort to Trading Standards but it is nice to know that they are available as a last resort.

I do think Tooway should very quickly sort out their advertising as the Absolute service is being advertised as unlimited but actually has that 60GB cap. I would whether that falls foul of the deceptive advertising rules?

BTW Bentley Walker did send us the announcement of the recent fair use policy changes, although they are insisting that it is not a change to the policy, merely a "clarification".

Edited by mah (Wed 24-Jul-13 11:43:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jul-13 12:08:07
Print Post

[re: mah] [link to this post]

Looking at one resellers page http://www.broadbandwherever.net/about-us/fair-access it details the policy which almost seems like a FUP turned on its head. Those who say I promise to only use a certain amount are penalised while the unlimited customers are not.

Dare I say that satellite broadband is returning to the OK for picking up email and submitting the odd form, but for serious fixed line substitute it is still behind the usage curve

Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Thu 25-Jul-13 08:58:48
Print Post

MrSaffron I would say it's not even capable of submitting forms and/or emails at the current state.

It takes about 2mins to load a google search nevermind sending the required username and password form data to get into an MSN outlook account to check emails.

TooWayUK said:
peak hours (currently 4pm to 12am UTC weekdays and weekends). No traffic management is applied outside of peak hours.

Really?

This linked image below was taken at 8:35AM UTC which would be non-peak hours going off the above.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8327/8msr.jpg - 0.10Mb/s

0.10Mb/s and no traffic management is applied outside of peak hours?

Wes Luger: Oh, so we think that's funny, do we, Officer... Davis(?) Well, maybe we'd all like to know what's so funny! Maybe Officer Davis can make us all laugh.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jul-13 09:45:24
Print Post

I have seen sat providers claim speed tests don't work, and the HTTPx6 test on ours at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html avoids the problem and actually tests the line for a fixed time period

The throughput graphs should also help identify if it is natural congestion i.e. up and down a lot, or if a throttled system one would expect a nice flat line even if slow.

Standard User Tel3koN
(newbie) Thu 25-Jul-13 11:07:18
Print Post

The speedtest.net speedtests are consistant enough with the thinkbroadband speedtests.

This linked image below was taken at 10:57AM UTC using the thinkbroadband speedtest.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5632/g20k.jpg

I didn't run a thinkbroadband speedtest @ 8:35AM mainly because there isn't a 1MB file download option available.

I wanted to show you the results using both of the speedtests so I decided to run the thinkbroadband speedtest after reading your post.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:32:24
Print Post

That is just a single file taken from our site, I was referring to our flash based speed tester

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

That gives you a results page and images you can share without need for hosting space e.g.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
and
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13747...

Standard User abailey1984
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 15:06:22
Print Post

heres the latest speed test:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3568 kbps (446 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5665 kbps (708.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 722 ms
Jitter: 70 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
28 July 2013 14:50:40 BST

For the 3rd day running my speeds have been riddiculously slow i dont see how they can have throttled me back because of using 60gb data ive only had the system installed for a week and unless im downloading every movie in the known universe i cant see how i can have used that in a one week period.

These slow speeds are really stupid. my rx and tx levels remain unchanged since the system was installed so its not as if im losing signal along the way.

i want to know how i can end my contract with avonline and get a different satellite provider possibly SES broadband from astra as im sick to death of paying £65 per month for a service with speeds that are no better than BT ADSL because they are making 'guarantee's' about speeds, value and technology which are a load of rubbish. the speeds are [censored], the value is extortionate and the technology cant handle the amount of traffic being put through it.
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 16:37:18
Print Post

[re: abailey1984] [link to this post]

Surely Skylogic/Tooway need to do something to alleviate the pressure on the beams that are being severely throttled due to over population. why should we pay £65 per month for the same service other customers are getting on unaffected beams whos speeds are almost 10x quicker than ours who dont suffer from throttled speeds and heavy congestion. perhaps they need to look at the capacity for the busier beams and re-jig them lumping more capacity on the congested beams and taking it away from the beams that are over the sea and have only a handful of customers obviously without degrading those customers service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jul-13 17:38:15
Print Post

[re: abailey1984] [link to this post]

Are we sure it is the beams, and not a land based network issue?

(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 17:59:21
Print Post

from all the other post about speed related issues on this forum and others, i seems extremely likely that it is the beams of the satellites as beam 34 is the the main one where overcrowding is causing a severe and unusable slow down in network traffic there is also beam 23 which covers the south west of the uk which also suffers a degraded service but if u take a look at the spot beam map u will see that these are the beams that would carry the most users as these areas are the ones that BT forget about with their 'super wonderful super fast fibre broadband plans.
My argument is why have a spot beam say right down in the medditaranean having full capacity with no network slow downs at all which is because there arent any users on it when this capacity could be transferred to the beams where overloading is causing such issues this is a skylogic problem and we all know how useless they are!!! they should be the ones that need to re organise bandwidth and reallocate spot beams to where customers need the capacity the most. TOOWAY UK needs to take note on this forum and others that their customers are extremely angry and we are considering alternatives as they are unwilling to say there are any issues our isp's are getting fobbed off by skylogic who are intern fobbing us off with lame excuses such as the FAP which is a complete lie as how can i of used 60gb of data in just one week of having the service installed???
Standard User mah
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 10:41:37
Print Post

We are an unlimited customer (ha-ha) and are in fact treated the same as Tooway M, L, XL customers except that the monthly cap is 60GB not the unlimited service that we signed up for.

But yes, the FUP is more a denial-of-any-service-promise policy.

In my ongoing issues logged with Bentley Walker, I asked the following question:

can you tell me what we can expect as the normal speed available during the evening peak - does 4Mbps represent what the purchaser of a £65/month "unlimited 20Mbps" service should expect?

To be met with the not exactly encouraging reply:
The service you are on provides no minimum speed figure. If you would like to move to the IP Connect plan, which has a set upload and download speed, please let me know which speeds you would like.

So in other words there isn't even the promise of the 50:1 contention ratio of bargain-basement consumer broadband.

Clearly they aim sign up as many people as possible, and just aren't concerned about whether the customers end up with a usable Internet service.

Not to mention that the contract terms are a fixed 2 years, with no early get-out option - even if the contract terminates before the two years are up, the customer is still liable to pay the full two years' subscriptions.

This is a rip-off of monumental proportions.

Edit: they came back saying "The dedicated bandwidth is £1,350 per Meg. ". Excuse me while I go off to vomit.

Edited by mah (Mon 29-Jul-13 19:57:41)

Standard User mah
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 20:53:06
Print Post

Some recent test results - I have scripted testing by downloading from thinkbroadband (URL:http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/50MB.zip):

2013-07-29 08:56:43 : 1:41.41
2013-07-29 09:56:52 : 1:51.35
2013-07-29 10:58:01 : 2:59.89
2013-07-29 11:56:56 : 1:55.14
2013-07-29 12:57:36 : 2:35.93
2013-07-29 13:57:53 : 2:52.37
2013-07-29 14:58:02 : 3:01.35
2013-07-29 15:58:20 : 3:18.73
2013-07-29 16:59:25 : 4:23.51
2013-07-29 17:56:42 : 1:41.14
2013-07-29 18:57:02 : 2:00.75
2013-07-29 19:56:52 : 1:51.45

For a 50MB file these times vary between poor (100s = 5Mbps) down to pathetic (263s = 1.9Mbps). What is bizzarre is that the speeds this evening are merely poor, and it was much worse during the day.
Standard User PeterScott
(newbie) Thu 01-Aug-13 12:31:19
Print Post

This is what I have suggested to tooway:

I did the calculations. I believe that the downstream capacity of the spotbeam is a bit under 500 Mbit/s. Allowing for 20 M download and a contention ratio of 25 to 1 that only allows 625 users before the system is usually in a state of overload. Higher download speeds made the system more unstable.

My suggestion is that tooway reduces the monthly price by £5 as a goodwill gesture and drops the max download to 10 or even back to 8. That should mean that the system will be in a normal state more often and should avoid frequent slow downs. 8 is more than enough for streaming and I would rather have reliable 8 than flaky 20.

Another idea that if upload capacity can be transferred to become download capacity then the upload could go down to 2 or 3. Assuming that tooway do not envisage people setting up servers on their own premises then 6 is far more than needed.
Standard User fludge
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 08:43:21
Print Post

[re: PeterScott] [link to this post]

PeterScott.

Sounds like a potential plan BUT it wont work. These kinds of services sell to the end user because of the headline speed of 20mb. If they reduced it to 10mb it would not look as attractive to potential customers.

I'm in spot beam 34 and speeds are well down throughout the day at the moment. I spoke to my ISP and thy said it was down to the school holidays...

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not dissing your proposal at all. We don't really need 20mb at all. I also have a lower speed satellite service from another provider and that's only 5 down, 1 up. This service has much less contention and is happily covering my kids thirst for Youtube and so on...
Standard User PeterScott
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 10:44:08
Print Post

[re: fludge] [link to this post]

Hi Fludge

I understand your point but in fact many of us signed up when it was 6 / 1 Mbit/s. For people suffering very poor speeds in the country, or elsewhere, that was a great leap forward especially as it was *always* 6. Then the speeds were progressively upped till we reached 20 / 6. I remember thinking at the time that this was dangerous with such a limited pipe. And so it has proved. My point is that tooway is in trouble as are its users and can't just muck about with unfair and arbitrary limits and justifications.Sometimes we have to compromise to get collective benefit. This is one of those times I think.

I don't want to stop using tooway though I am trying out the landline again as an experiment. But if I am only to get 2 or 3 M I don't want to pay £40 a month. I can get slightly less for £6.

All the best

Peter
Standard User fludge
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 10:50:25
Print Post

i should point out that I have both services...

My Tooway 20/6 unlimited which is suffering at the moment. I only signed up at the beginning of June and its gone down hill since then.

Ive had the dish realighed and the modem swapped. Skylogic also popped a different firmware version on the modem to try and speed things up. They are trying but I dont think they are trying hard enough.

My other sat installation is the 5/1 from another provider and whilst its slower, its more stable. Ideally I would like to see a bit more speed from it, say 10/2 but its OK...

I have ADSL available at my property but it was a poor 2.1/384k service and often disconnected so i ditched it for satellite.

when I signed up I saw the headline speeds of 20/6 and thought WOW... Have some of that.... At first it was excellent. Managed to chew through 70gb in under 4 weeks without trying hard but now its all over the place.
Standard User PeterScott
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 10:57:31
Print Post

I don't think that the problem lies with the hardware or the software. You can see details of your signals by connecting to the modem through your network. I think the problem is with the pipe and contention. Instead of an M62 we now have an M25.
Standard User fludge
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:21:10
Print Post

Absolutely agree that its contention.

Spot beams 23 and 34 in the south of England are at capacity now. I have mentioned this to my ISP and have recommended they advise Tooway accordingly. I suspect they wont have said anything about that though and will continue signing up new customers on these beams...
Standard User rally
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:23:41
Print Post

Hi JamJam

I have exactly the same issues with my Avonline Satellite Tooway service the reasons are listed below :-

I have the unlimited product @ £65 per month!

It has become limited to the point that it is unusable very quickly.

The Fair Access Policy was implemented by Tooway and Avonline in July. The Unlimited FAP limit is 60GB download over a four week rolling period, (not reset at the start of the month).

When you hit that you are moved into a overfilled heavy users pool which reduces the performance to a crawl, all your web sites time out, download speeds of 100k only,yes 100k only are not uncommon, the service becomes unusable the only way to get out of the cycle is not to use the service for several days to get your four week rolling period back below 60gb.

Effectively the Unlimited service should be now sold as 60GB it is NOT UNLIMITED!

60GB is the equivalent of half a HD movie a day.

Its clear Tooway have oversold the bandwidth and are now in deep trouble meeting demand. This results in an appalling service all round.

If they are to move users that exceed the secret FAP policy (which has not been published in detail)into a heavy users pool it should still meet a minimum performance level which it does not. Effectively if you hit the heavy user pool your are DOOMED!
Standard User PeterScott
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:37:02
Print Post

[re: rally] [link to this post]

I am trying my landline again using the very low cost offer from Talktalk. If its no good, or TT is no good, I won't have lost much. If BT has to get the line up to spec for the new TT connection it might be fine.

Tooway are a classic case of bad management. They clearly haven't done the simple sums that I did above, nor thought with clarity about the service they want to offer and their likely customers. A good manager responds to problems and complaints with good communication and clear, logical action. Don't see any of that in tooway.
Standard User PeterScott
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:40:28
Print Post

If the landline is no good, I will just have to wait until 4G or BT permanent wifi drops to an acceptable price level. Tooway are nuts. There will be many other methods of connection soon, and they will just be left with those living in extreme rural areas.
Standard User mah
(newbie) Sun 04-Aug-13 21:09:17
Print Post

Good idea, Peter.

We would certainly be happy with a 10/1Mbps service that is usually 10/1.

With the landline ISPs - BT and BE - both have been upfront about the speeds we will get, even though we are a good way from the exchange and the speeds don't look pretty. But what we get, even during the evening peak, is within 10-20% of the speeds their sales reps told us to expect when we were going through the sign-up process.

Mark
(newbie) Mon 05-Aug-13 21:04:12
Print Post

I would just like to echo the comments on here, I'm not interested if the issue lies with Avonline / Tooway or the Dalai Lama..... I signed up for 20Mb up / 6Mb down, I would not really be bothered if that meant i got 10/3... but I get 0.3 as an average during my use!!!

As for 'Fair Usage Policy', fair on who exactly? The terms are at best baffling (rolling 4 week averages?!?! WHAT?) and if you do hit it the penalty is errrrrrrrrrrr 98% service loss. Last time I contacted Avonline I was told by stuart that it also a combined total of upload/download usage?!?!?

Further to that I have not had 1 single communication from anyone about my service being changed, I only even know about it because of this thread.

Off topic - Im not even sure there figures on usage are correct, the last tim I rang up I was told I had used 25 Gb of traffic, yet my router has traffic monitoring and stated less than 5Gb!

I am sorry but to ANYONE reading this considering Sat broadband as a solution, stay as far away from it as you can, then go a little bit further. It has been the worse decision I have made, 3Mb ADSL was massively better than the experience I have had. They have failed on numerous 'Guarantee's' they advertise yet if you contact them for a refund or to get out of contract they just laugh at the suggestion.
Standard User knighton
(regular) Tue 06-Aug-13 18:28:16
Print Post

I have to chime in here after giving Avonline a big 'up' when first installed in May this year.
Currently downloading at 17KB/s on their Ultimate package.
Recent speeds appalling - I am back to Youtube as a slideshow and unable to stream Netflix following my immediate subscription after install. Very unhappy as no other option available - noBB by copper (7km from exchange on EO line) and no 3/4g.
Standard User richardcwgate
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-13 18:11:13
Print Post

[re: knighton] [link to this post]

I came across this thread after I'd been doing some testing after having some problems with AVonline over the past week or so. I signed up for the Ultimate package which has "UNLIMITED" data usage as we have a house full of iPads, iPhones, Macs PCs, Android phones, Roku, Apple TV, Smart TVs etc etc etc. Love my gadgets. It was fine until recently getting 20Mbps most of the time. but now I'm sub 2Mbps a 90% reduction. When I called them I was told my connection was being throttled as I had exceeded 60GB/month BUT BUT BUT I'm not getting held back a peak times its all the time. Netflix now only runs in low def and stalls. My understanding of the word UNLIMITED sees to be very different from their's.

Edited by richardcwgate (Mon 12-Aug-13 18:15:45)

Standard User niallquinn1971
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 17:32:03
Print Post

[re: richardcwgate] [link to this post]

First post, be gentle with me. I'm on a 2 year contract with Demon, comes to it's end this Friday. On a very long line, lucky if it syncs at 300kbps. So, was going to go for Tooway, until I read this thread.

After the current month or so, can anyone give me hope and tell me, "yeah iit's a bit slow in the day time, but is fine after 11pm"?.

That I can live with!

Thanks!

Edited by niallquinn1971 (Tue 13-Aug-13 17:36:47)

Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 21:26:01
Print Post

[re: niallquinn1971] [link to this post]

My advice is do not bother. I have jumped through every hoop that's been presented, I am within all allowances - monthly, weekly 20% of peak use etc and my speed is the worst for weeks.

I would guess that all hoops are presented as being ever more difficult to satisfy, but once you do so, they are just excuses for the real reason - beats me what it is but there must be one.

I would not recommend signing up, as even if you are allowed to opt out early, you have still paid for installation .... wish I'd never had the idea
Standard User mah
(newbie) Wed 14-Aug-13 07:23:37
Print Post

The only time it is fine is between midnight and 8 a.m.

Based on our experience and that of someone else who posted here, I wonder if they give new customers 20Mbps for the first month - but after that the performance is miserable (and even worse, unpredictably miserable).

The bigger problem is that one is completely locked into this, ahem, "service" for 24 months. There is no way to get out - our contract states that even if the contract is ended early, the mark (a.k.a. "customer") must pay subs for the full period of the contract.

DON'T DO IT!

Edited by mah (Wed 14-Aug-13 07:24:40)

(newbie) Wed 14-Aug-13 10:00:59
Print Post

Here's a get out for anyone that can get another service in your area.
This is part of their "Triple Guarantee" from their web site....

Our Technology Guarantee

Don’t worry about what may come along in the future.

Install Avonline satellite broadband now.

Start enjoying real, fast 20Mbps broadband immediately.

If a faster service does arrive at your home in the future, no matter where you are in the contract, just give us 30 days notice and we’ll cancel the contract - all we ask is that you return the hardware to us safely.
Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Wed 14-Aug-13 13:36:44
Print Post

I'm on the unlimited (£65/month) deal with Tooway for my business broadband use, as I cant get fibre or cable.
Like many others here, I got 6 up / 20 down after installing the dish back in February when it was a real lifesaver for my work - but now it fluctuates wildly. Sometimes I get great speeds, other times not so. A test done a few minutes ago show 1 up / 3 down - not as bad as some have reported but not great either. My ADSL is quicker. Thankfully only in a 12 month contract...
(newbie) Thu 15-Aug-13 08:22:18
Print Post

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

Well back to full speed today, lets see how long that lasts.
Still no communication from AVonlive though.

Edited by richardcwgate (Thu 15-Aug-13 08:22:47)

Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Thu 15-Aug-13 08:24:21
Print Post

Yep, I'm back to full speed this morning too. Perhaps Avonline read these posts..
Standard User knighton
(regular) Thu 15-Aug-13 10:59:32
Print Post

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

Well I am not back to full speed. Tested just now.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2377 kbps (297.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5555 kbps (694.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 714 ms
Jitter: 22 ms
8/15/2013 10:57:55 AM
Standard User knighton
(regular) Thu 15-Aug-13 17:33:33
Print Post

So now its 5.30 and this is whats available

Last Result:
Download Speed: 10591 kbps (1323.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5625 kbps (703.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 719 ms
Jitter: 45 ms
8/15/2013 5:32:16 PM
Standard User mah
(newbie) Thu 15-Aug-13 21:46:01
Print Post

Recent results from our site (fetching URL http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/50MB.zip). Download speeds in Mbps:

14:00 - 2.7 Mbps
15:00 - 2.7 Mbps
16:00 - 3.6 Mbps
17:00 - 4.9 Mbps
18:00 - 16.1 Mbps
19:00 - 11.7 Mbps
20:00 - 12.2 Mbps
21:00 - 6.0 Mbps

So still inexplicably and painfully slow at times. And Bentley Walker don't consider 2.7 Mbps to be slow and are not interested in addressing the issue.
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 13:45:31
Print Post

I notice the UNLIMITED service has now been removed from their products and replaced with one with 50Gb Limit!! So they are listening but only enough to cover their tracks!
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 13:46:36
Print Post

I signed up for the UNLIMITED service and even their MD it telling me it isnt unlimited!
What next?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Aug-13 14:04:03
Print Post

The 50GB is no surprise, it was mentioned before
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5939-is-the-unlim...

The parent Tooway site also listed Unlimited as a 20,000 customer deal, resellers may not always have made that part clear.

Irrespective your unlimited contracts should still stand, as a change from unlimited to 50GB per month would clearly count as a significant change and let anyone walk from the contract.

(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 14:07:23
Print Post

Thanks. I am now in touch via e-mail with their MD Mark Wynn. However, he continues to tell me that limiting an UNLIMITED service is not mis-representation !?!

Edited by richardcwgate (Fri 16-Aug-13 14:12:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Aug-13 14:21:01
Print Post

Alas some degree of throttling is tolerated by regulators, unless you call the service totally unlimited or some other flowery phrase.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5134-new-advertis...

Lots of room for wiggling, but if they try and cap you so that at 5)GB service ceases to work, that is not allowed.

If they slow you down at a figure such such as 50GB, then its down to what is considered a reasonable degree of slow down. We did a poll on this earlier in the year when Virgin Media got into trouble

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5775-the-public-d...

(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 15:06:32
Print Post

Mr Wynn continues to be very hard nosed and a little rude and has not offered any resolution. So I'm talking to Trading Stanards regarding mis-selling a limited service as unlimited.
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 15:48:06
Print Post

I really am so much more wound up and angry than I should be about this.
I guess its the brick wall that I keep banging my head against that does it.
So it looks like Avonline/Tooway sold too much bandwidth and surprise suprise we used it.
Doing all the stuff Avonline tell us is good to use on their site like HD TV.
BUT if you watch HD TV at about say 3Mbps thats 1.3GB per hour consumed.
So if you watch over 1.5hrs a day then over a month you have eaten the 60GB
that makes you a abusive consumer? Really? Looks like they didnt do the math
on how much data would get consumed. So they have to limit usage EVEN on
UNLIMITED accounts and when you question it they hide behind usage policies.
When really, they sold us something they cannot deliver and we have to pay for it!

Edited by richardcwgate (Fri 16-Aug-13 15:48:38)

(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 16:52:17
Print Post

I do think its a bit rich for Avonline to tell me that I'm ignoring what they are saying!
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 20:47:13
Print Post

Had enough now and I've been in touch with Trading Standards. The protocol these days is to contact the Citizens Advise Bureau who seem to pre-screen complaints before they are passed on to Trading Standard.

Please raise a compaint here;

https://ssl.datamotion.com/form.aspx?co=3438&frm=cit...

The more that get raised, the more likely Transing Standards will be to act.
So please do raise a complaint!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Aug-13 22:50:47
Print Post

Is there anyone that has TooWay and has connected a SamKnows White Box to it?

If not then it might be a good idea to get in touch with Sam and get White Boxes on TooWay services so that they can monitor and do a news article on just how bad satellite broadband is...

Tweet @samknows requesting a White Box and you should get a quick response, I did.

Standard User D_n_B
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 01:16:13
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I am having the same problems as everyone else. Download speeds of between 2.5 and 5.5Mbps most of the time in recent weeks. Complaints to Avonline have not provided any real explanation. Excuses include heavy usage during school holidays. They denied they had oversold capacity, but it seems pretty clear that is the problem.

I am not subject to the FUP as i have used only a small proportion of my 30Gb data allowance.

I asked for a refund in proportion to the degree to which they are falling short of guaranteed service levels. They said a senior executive would call me to discuss but no-one has called so far. no one on this Forum seems to have mentioned the so-called "triple guarantee". Part two says: "We guarantee that our delivered speeds (all users over all time periods) will significantly exceed that achieved in the UK on rural ADSL services as measured and published by Ofcom". The latest relevant OFCOM figure for rural broadband is 9.9 Mbps (http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/08/07/average-uk-broadband-speed-continues-to-rise/)."Significantly exceed" should mean at least 12mbps i would say. I would be relatively happy with this but it is not what is being delivered.

Of course, like many in rural areas, satellite is my only option for reasonable broadband - I was getting 0.3mbps at peak times on adsl. Does anyone have recommendations for alternative satellite systems more reliable than tooway?
Standard User fludge
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 07:42:57
Print Post

[re: D_n_B] [link to this post]

Think I would be happy with the rural broadband average... I often see .5 mb download speeds.

Re the wording in the triple guarantee... Note it says all users. Do you think they use an average across all their users to fudge the figures? Many will see these speeds but for those on spot beams 23 and 34, you won't...

If you were to use the triple guarantee to get out of the contract, you won't get your installation costs back so you are still well out of pocket.

I had a conversation with Craig Roberts the other day. He's the broadband director guy at Avonline. He is recommending I purchase a 2nd modem and service to split the load so that I don't get caught in the fap limit of 60gb.

Edited by fludge (Sat 17-Aug-13 07:44:10)

Standard User knighton
(regular) Sat 17-Aug-13 10:59:05
Print Post

So another 'triple guarantee' fail. Half the average rural broadband speed as published by Ofcom.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 4381 kbps (547.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5510 kbps (688.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 716 ms
Jitter: 28 ms
8/17/2013 10:56:30 AM
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 12:35:23
Print Post

Does anyone know how us poor customers (I remember when that word had a meaning!) are supposed to see how much data we have consumed?
Using the sites Avonline quoted does not work.

checkportal.skylogicnet.com does not show the amount used
www.mytooway.net does not even exist.

Edited by richardcwgate (Sat 17-Aug-13 12:36:09)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-Aug-13 15:49:04
Print Post

Nice! Pay us double and we'll let you have 2 x 60GB instead of the 1 x 60GB we are letting you have on your unlimited service. I expect his partner cleans his face for him, using Brasso.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 12:18:00
Print Post

This is just getting silly and stupid. I really should make better use of my time!
So, can't find where I can see how much data Avonline say I'm consuming.
Going to mesure it myself!
I now have my home network all routed via a pfSense server that is acting as a gateway
between my home network and the Internet. Everything now goes through this box.
I also have a Zabbix monitoring server out in the cloud that will gether usage stats from
the pfSense server every 30 seconds so I can track total usage and bandwidth.
(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 16:50:20
Print Post

Well cancelled DEMON, 300kbps, 25k download ADSL today.

Taking the plunge, probably with Avonline, the 50gig ones should be fine for me. Do all downloads overnight.

Unless anyone has any better ideas? SES?

Thanks.
Standard User Sudsheps
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-13 05:37:18
Print Post

[re: spacecoast] [link to this post]

I am so pleased to hear you are getting tough with Avonline.
I am a photographer having to upload photos off peak and don't touch things during peak times. I pay top whack and everything went smoothly for a while , then they without warning restricted me.
I paid a specialist to move the satellite as we thought it must have issues with nearby trees. A few hundred quid later and a lot of time and effort, Avonline tell me that although I signed up to unlimited anytime and at top speed they can limit me to such a speed that I may just get this email sent.

I am livid and would like to join anyone in taking this to trading standards or further.

They are selling a lie and making me pay the full amount still but with no allowance.
I live in a rural location and have my office here. I now literally have to consider moving because of this sudden undisclosed restriction.

Avonline do not respond to emails and refuse to call back in this issue.

I really would like to go to town on them if anyone wants to team up let me know please.

Pretty angry by being conned into buying it. It had all the answers I needed now I am really in trouble.

If Avonline bother to read things like this from upset customers this is Ed Shepherd. Please email or call back!
Standard User Sudsheps
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-13 05:40:38
Print Post

[re: rally] [link to this post]

Same issues.

Nightmare situation that has majorly effected my work.

Can anyone suggest any other solution or a decent satellite company for a rural photographer who needs to upload large files?

Cheers.
Standard User colinho
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-13 08:25:48
Print Post

[re: Sudsheps] [link to this post]

It may well be that expectation of the Avonline "unlimited" service exceed delivery, but I have to say that my experience has been of some very genuine, honest , people trying hard to resolve problems in as fair a way as possible.
Like many posters, I saw my service collapse, as I became a "heavy user". After throwing the toys out, and looking at the alternatives (1 MB ADSL), 4 MB bonded ADSL, £4,000 p.a. 2MB leased lines, ..... and other satellite operators whose FUP was less open, and more restrictive than Avonline, it occurred to me that the Unlimited service, which is effectively a 60GB per month service, still looks like very good value for money. The current shakeout of the mega-heavy downloaders will, in the end, make a limited supply of bandwidth more available to the genuine users, so perhaps Avonline should be getting less kicking, and more support, as they try to manage the supply : demand situation?
My service currently is back to running at sensible levels - I use my 1MB ADSL connection for web browsing, and the satellite for large file downloads. I think, in the end, how we, the users, manage our bandwidth, is the solution?
Standard User knighton
(regular) Mon 19-Aug-13 10:59:51
Print Post

[re: colinho] [link to this post]

I am not sure 'managing' our own bandwith is the solution. The reason why most of us are on Tooway is because the alternatives just don't exist (in my case) or are not fit for purpose.

What galls me most is that there has been no official contact from Tooway to me about either excessive downloads or the reduced speeds.

Having started with them in May, I accept that having these speeds available, I took advantage of updating a variety of programmes (OSX/Logic/Reason) and being able to use Google Music to transfer my MP3 collection to the cloud.

Beyond that, I have watched a couple of movies and generally used the web for what everyone else does.

I don't use torrents or P2P and am against the idea of piracy completely.

I would be very surprised if I have used more than 100gig in total since May.

My download speed has varied from kilobytes to 11Mbps but has never acheived 20Mbps since the first week after installation.

If I am an 'abuser' of the service, how come I haven't been told and why can we not see how much data we have downloaded without resorting to 3rd party software?

It seems to be very similar to Virgin 'fibre' in some areas. Significant overselling of the available bandwidth with poor speeds for all amidst on ongoing attempt to drum up more business for the oversubscribed service.
Standard User Nunkyjim
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-13 19:23:28
Print Post

Hi guys, I wont harp on about things you already know - I'm going through the same [censored] though. After many phone call and emails between me and avonline my speed is still 0.6kbps in the evenings.

Basically, I shouldn't even be in the "heavy user category" (which may I add is extremely sneaky of them to suddenly implement this without informing us) Even though I shouldn't be in this category I still have diabolical speeds that I am paying 65 quid a month for - avonline don't seem interested at all. Emails take weeks to even get a response and when I speak to them on the phone they tell me to run a speedtest. They offered me a free cancellation which my reply was I don't want it cancelled, I want them to provide me with the service I signed up for. I'm sure they'd love people to cancel seeing as they've quite obviously ballsed up their business by overselling their product.

Have just been on http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest-mla... and looks like they are throttling my downloads even though they deny it. Have recently asked for a deadlock letter so I can take this up with an adr scheme as avonline seem uninterested in speaking to me. Will keep you guys posted.
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:18:30
Print Post

Well to anyone that's interested, this is what I did.

I signed up for UNLIMITED 20Mbps in April and it was fine back then.
This went silly at the end of July / beginging of August, down to 2Mbps.
I called them and was told I was a high volume user and hense throttled.
I complained, they didnt listen.
When my next invoice arrived I refused to pay until I got what I paid for.
This eventually escalated to their MD who justed quoted the Fair Use Policy at me.
I refused to accept that explaination on that bassis that I bought an UNLIMTED service.
I continued to point out an UNLIMITED service is what I bought.
They could not expect me to pay for a changed service.

"The minimum term of any contract only gives the trader the right to hold a consumer liable for the full costs of the contract; if they have a change of mind, and decide they no longer want the service from that particular trader; or their actions restricts the trader's ability to perform to the contract."

I had not changed my mind, they altered the sevice.

"UK law suggests that if you can demonstrate that the trader has failed to comply with any agreement you both reached during pre-contractual negotiations (discussions held between yourself and trader before you completed the purchase); you may hold the trader in ‘breach of contract’ and pursue them for a suitable form of redress."

In my case the promised "UNLIMITED" service was plainly not delivered. So I told them that I wanted to terminate the service back dated to the start of the bandwidth problems, 1st of August. Also that I would not pay any further charges and they could collect the equipment at their cost.

I just had to keep saying this until they agreed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:11:57
Print Post

Well done! smile

That takes a lot of persistance against this sort of company.

Standard User TheDogTog
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-13 20:22:27
Print Post

I am also a photographer living in a rural area, but I have built my entire operation around satellite broadband from Tooway (now Europasat - wonder why they had to change the name? wink )

I offer a service where I can upload photos overnight for people at multi-day events to see the next day (or even same day, when I have assistance uploading while I shoot)... Well, at least that's what I USED to do...

Now it is impossible - it takes so long to upload images at weekends that my whole business USP has gone... I am losing customers hand over fist, as it is taking DAYS to get images online, instead of minutes / hours and by then, the euphoria of the event is gone, bills are in the post when people get home and sales opportunities are gone...

Then miraculously at about 2;00 am (when I have to sleep, to have half a chance of taking more photos, next day) speeds are back up to 20Mbps - really really fed up now and they just quote these overnight speeds to justify their 'FAST internet claim...
Standard User Sudsheps
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-13 21:10:20
Print Post

[re: TheDogTog] [link to this post]

Sorry to hear you have the same issues.

I have had to sign up for another 'unlimited' router so double the cost to keep things going.
It's pretty cray but I would have to move office otherwise.

If they'd been upfront, when I was one of the first to go unlimited, I would have rethought.

I had Adam at Avonline on the phone for 45 mins to prove their speed claims are wrong. Every test he did with mine and their own speed tests also using their FTP proved the claim of upload speed which matters to me is only 2mb.

He had no excuse.

I hate being stock in this position whilst no having to pay more.

Ed
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-13 10:04:25
Print Post

Are all the Tooway providers the same though? Ie will Bentley-Walker be the same?

Thanks.
Standard User Lepus
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-13 14:00:49
Print Post

Re: Avonline / Tooway / Skylogic - Usage Restrictions

I entered into a contract with Tooway expressly on the condition there was no restrictions/fair usage policy. Clearly,at the behest of their masters Skylogic they have reneged on this and are in breach of contract.

However, I was advised by them that no usage instructions would be imposed before 5 PM. However, I've been receiving appalling speeds this morning which I have questioned with them and it would now seen they are applying the Heavy Users Restrictions throughout the day. I'm getting circe 650 kbs on a 20MB Unlimited package

Does anyone know of any alternative Satellite broadband options?
Standard User grahammm
(member) Sat 31-Aug-13 11:11:38
Print Post

[re: TheDogTog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheDogTog:
Now it is impossible - it takes so long to upload images at weekends that my whole business USP has gone... I am losing customers hand over fist, as it is taking DAYS to get images online, instead of minutes / hours and by then, the euphoria of the event is gone, bills are in the post when people get home and sales opportunities are gone..

As they previously supplied the level of service which they claimed and you relied upon, could you not use estopel to force them to provide the level of service which you relied upon.
Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Sun 01-Sep-13 04:48:02
Print Post

I'm amazed that / if a online relented in practice and gave you unlimited or unrestricted use (as signed up to) as its all meant to be implemented by Tooway and a online are the monkeys oily rag

I put reasoned arguments forward to Mark Wyn .... He's on twitter if you want him.

Was met with what I though was understanding, turned out that when I satisfied all conditions not to be restricted ..... I still was. So it's all lies. Mark Wyn is indeed hard faced and has a strictly enforced FU policy.

I appear to have given up as now have alternative 'free' broadband and too way to be removed - no refund tho and Wynn is still acting like a ****.
Standard User honmanm
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 11:50:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by niallquinn1971:
Are all the Tooway providers the same though? Ie will Bentley-Walker be the same?

Our experience of Bentley Walker is just the same as the problems reported with Tooway services from Avonline. They just don't want to know about the problems (of course they're happy to take our money).

To be honest after this experience I don't trust anyone in the satellite broadband business.
Standard User fludge
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:43:37
Print Post

[re: honmanm] [link to this post]

I've managed to ditch my Tooway service, cancelling the contract early without penalty and move to wimax 20 down/20 up and 20ms latency. Well chuffed...
Standard User andyl123
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-13 15:08:43
Print Post

I also recently switched (1 week ago) to Avonline Satellite Broadband due to living in a rural area and having shockingly bad broadband with BT (but that's a whole new story!!)
I am having exactly the same problem- great morning speeds of 20mb that go down as low a 1mb in the evening. Just spoke to the technical helpline who tell me it "could be an issue with the router!!!"
I informed him that I had done a full trend analysis of my download speeds and the times of the drop are consistent and do not indicate faulty equipment but a definite "busy period" as experienced with land-line broadband. One of the reasons for my purchasing the system was the slick sales patter of the website with phrases such as "wherever you live" "fast reliable broadband" etc etc [censored] [censored]!!
Its only since I have looked at the forums that I realise there is a problem with shared access!! Unbelievable!!!
I have to ring them back tonight to carry out a speed check so will keep you updated but they really need to up their game for me to stay with them.
Mister Angry
Standard User JamJamJam
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 13:39:23
Print Post

[re: andyl123] [link to this post]

They're not going to up their game - speaking from experience.

The service dropped off and despite all excuses stayed off, the requests to do speed tests and to give it 48 hours etc are delaying tactics at best.

They don't really blame Tooway but Avonline are middlemen, selling the package to make money obviously.

However, they won't stop selling even though the reasons given for the slowdown are that too many people are using the service. There may be more capacity to switch on, satellite updates to do etc ... but thats some way off and will just delay the situation that we are in ... or rather youre in as I left!

Not bitter but there is little point in signing up if you expect 20mb / unlimited. There will be disruption, it won't be perfect, but it will be more usable at off peak times - however its quite expensive when not receiving what you pay for.

Similar posts on a forum at website - SatSig in the Tooway tab. Might give a bit more perspective?
Standard User thelandlord9196
(newbie) Sat 07-Sep-13 19:34:01
Print Post

hi ours is the same when we joined over 4 months ago it was 100% perfect as we cant get nornal broadband living in a "rural area" i like to call it a "non profit area" by silly BT its like having dial up all over again !! trouble is Avonline is just another tyipcal badly run British Comapny who hide behind what they feel is the excuse today, and some of them are really really silly and sad....when we called and emails many time we had one suggestion if its the greedies who are hogging the bandwidth simply cut them off? I asked whos silly stupid idea was to give people the unlimited option as ever in the Uk it would be open to instant abuse?

simple stop selling the service until it is fixed ?

what i suggest is the issue is that the bean counters are Tooway Avonline has found that if they restrict us all they make more money simple? but, short term as ever as all the sutomer swill run away

wait until we can all get 4g etc with good allowances BT and the lieks of Aveonline will die

in the emantime whos for class action ? lets help them go out of Business sounds like a plan? we are on XL and i dont mind paying whatever the cost just so long as it works !!

does anyone know of any other sat broadband service that may work ?

another option if we all downgrade to the lowest plan and keep with in the limits? that will hurt them in the pocket instant and i think its only a one off payment to downgrade of £25?

do what we are now doing and bombard them with emails about the service

Edited by thelandlord9196 (Sat 07-Sep-13 20:02:00)

(newbie) Sat 14-Sep-13 13:05:06
Print Post

[re: thelandlord9196] [link to this post]

Any updates?

According to Ruralbroadband, Tooway have done a few things lately, has this altered the situation?

ADSL goes off on Wednesday, no 3g, about 1 mile away from wimax, so sat really is my only option. Getting to the point of desperation!
Standard User mah
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-13 22:39:27
Print Post

Still pathetic.

9 p.m. this evening all it could do was 1.6Mbps.

The whole afternoon it has been running at 3Mbps or worse. What a waste of money.
Standard User NoBBIreland
(newbie) Fri 20-Sep-13 11:26:02
Print Post

This issues appears not to be limited to anyone re-seller, I don't classify them as ISPs they have gateways to the satellite but Tooway/Skylogic are actually the ISP.

This issue is also present here in Ireland where broadband is a joke unless your in a major urban center and our esteemed government think that 3G handled badly by 3 Mobile is actually a national broadband strategy for a "digital economy".

I only took this option as like everyone else I need some form of BB and can't get ADSL (reliable) or Fibre, in my case I used this for work and its basically the same here, starting in the morning 20 down 3-5 up according to Skylogic's own speed test and degrades from there to completely unusable from around 5PM onward.

I'm on an unlimited package with the new re-seller, my previous re-seller completely ignored the issue or either said the exact same [censored] as mentioned here, so I'm actually beginning to wonder if they have been given a script by Tooway/Skylogic so I left them without having to pay any exit charges as I said that I would take them to court for a number of issues after receiving advise from a family member who is a state solicitor in how they were breaking their contract with me.

My current re-seller is looking into the issue, but I don't expect they will be able to get any joy but I expect no bulls*it from them in relation to the issue and that yes its the fact that the service is overloaded and Tooway/Skylogic cannot provide the service after 5PM when most people are home and want to go online.
I did hear from the engineer working for my last reseller that a new satellite is planned for the next six months or so but nothing on the Skylogic site about this.

Basically if everyone leaves these companies they won't fold straight away but will eventually if you share your experience with other forums and deter other users from joining them, but of course this means that those who decide to stay "should" receive better service due to the drop in users. Of course this means that another company will just take up the slack stating that the issue has been resolved so please join us and we guarantee blah blah bull . So to have this resolved really what needs to be done is start bugging your local government re the provision of real broadband, but to be honest as it was decided in the 80s that privatization of basic public services was the way to go to ensure that the public gets what they want (thanks or that Maggie, Ronnie et all) we're screwed in this case also.

Edited by NoBBIreland (Fri 20-Sep-13 11:34:46)

Standard User davidt1203
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-13 23:41:57
Print Post

[re: NoBBIreland] [link to this post]

I went away in August unhappy with my download speeds. I came back last week expecting (hoping?) for an improvement. No chance. Speeds less than 3 Mb/s - typically 2. Pathetic and I am paying £40 per month for this with no alternative.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Sep-13 23:57:23
Print Post

[re: davidt1203] [link to this post]

You can't get 2Mbps ADSLx?

Or mobile broadband?

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 23-Sep-13 23:57:48)

Standard User Gasper
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 20:28:59
Print Post

[re: davidt1203] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by davidt1203:
I went away in August unhappy with my download speeds. I came back last week expecting (hoping?) for an improvement. No chance. Speeds less than 3 Mb/s - typically 2. Pathetic and I am paying £40 per month for this with no alternative.

Thank you for sharing this, I certainly won't entertain Avonline, or any satellite at all...
Standard User MrRoll
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-13 18:02:32
Print Post

[re: Gasper] [link to this post]

Sounds like the same thing affecting people over here

http://toowaysupport.net/viewforum.php?f=5

I wonder what the true scale of the problems are!

Edited by MrRoll (Wed 30-Oct-13 18:41:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Oct-13 19:31:42
Print Post

[re: MrRoll] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrRoll:
Astronomical?

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 21:53:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by MrRoll:
Astronomical?
A stellar response grin

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User cherylb
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 14:21:10
Print Post

I have been with Avonline for 15 months now. Up to about six weeks ago the service was as stated. I have the unlimited package. about six weeks ago the speed and access dropped off. when I phoned them they said I had 'exceeded' the fair usage policy and uploaded 180 gig of something to someone! I dont have 180 gig of anything on my computer. They said they had throttled the service until the 25th of the month when it would pick up. It never did. I can rarely get netflix or youtube to work. If one device is working the others wont. I notice that my contract is 24 months... does anyone know how difficult it is to get out of the contract. We have spoken to them on half a dozen occasions and just get a different set of lies everytime.
Standard User cherylb
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 14:25:09
Print Post

I am an unlimited user and am having exactly the same problems. £76 per month and cant even get Netflix!!!! and that is during the day.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Sep-14 15:57:29
Print Post

[re: cherylb] [link to this post]

I've seen several posts from people who have had GB's per day of uploads following an Apple itunes on windows update. There's many posts about this around the net - https://discussions.apple.com/message/23710128 might be helpful.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer

Edited by jelv (Fri 26-Sep-14 15:58:00)

Standard User cherylb
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 16:28:27
Print Post

I was told last month, when I noticed my service was really slow. that I had uploaded 180 gig in one day.... a) I dont have that much stuff on my computer, and b) and the speed we get it would have taken a flipping week!!! that was their excuse for slowing me down. Six weeks later and I am still on a go slow!!!
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Sep-14 17:25:49
Print Post

[re: cherylb] [link to this post]

Do you have iTunes installed as per my previous post? From what I've seen it's quite possible you've used that much without knowing it. If you install NetWorX you can monitor usgae by application.

jelv

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Sep-14 17:41:38
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Can't any P2P software cause this? There was a big stink when BBC iPlayer first came out on P2P and people who "don't use P2P" didn't know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Sep-14 18:08:23
Print Post

AIUI this isn't P2P, it's syncing with cloud storage that runs amok.

jelv

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Sep-14 20:40:41
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

smile
At the time I made that post I hadn't followed the Apple link.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User RichardG
(newbie) Tue 09-Dec-14 08:52:05
Print Post

[re: scragglymonk] [link to this post]

Did you ever get a resolution? I've just subscribed to Netflix, only to find exactly what you have described, during the only times you are likely to watch a film, the service is useless.

Fiber has just become available in our area so I think a move is the answer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to