General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User s_yates
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 13:22:04
Print Post

Re: Plusnet is not trustworthy: or can no-one ever be?

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
The connection is nothing to do with PlusNet - they have no equipment (except for the supplied router) until you get to their handover equipment in London, but that would not or shouldn't affect a connection.

When I am having lag problems, I do a tracert to identify where the lag is coming from. Before you get to the Level 3 network in London, you go through several plusnet nodes:

lo0-central10.ptn-ag03.plus.net [195.166.128.192]
link-a-central10.ptn-gw01.plus.net [212.159.2.136]
xe-5-3-0.ptw-cr01.plus.net [212.159.0.108]

Are you saying Plusnet do not own these?

And there is no problem with what I have said. If you can suggest something else that BTOR could do to improve the line, I'm open to your suggestions.
Standard User alext05
(member) Tue 07-Jan-14 13:56:10
Print Post

[re: s_yates] [link to this post]

So, if you have done everything, you must have a deadlock letter that would most likely say that "we have done everything possible to resolve your issue but cannot do so due to whatever". Staying with them after that is a bit of a odd option if the reliable and stable connection is a priority for you.

They have signed you up in good faith expecting to provide the service that might have suddenly developed a fault that they cannot work out how to deal with, not because they don't want to fix it, but because of many other reasons like the lack of expertise, lack of resourses - human or financial, ect.

What it important at this point is that they have exausted all options available to them and they let you know that. Yet you still decide to stay.

So, what is the true reason for staying with Plusnet knowing that they cannot sort your issue?
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jan-14 14:01:36
Print Post

Re: Plusnet untrustworthy

[re: blimsta] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blimsta:
Plusnet support reply

Your line is showing up errors as I've shown below:
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2013-12-27T15:03:21.887+00:00 2013-12-27T15:18:21.887+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 247 74
Severely Errored Seconds 189 41
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

If that quote is consistent, that it shows the errors over a 15 minute period, then that is a high error rate: 247 seconds out of 900 have seen errors, and 189 of those 247 seconds have had a high error count.

That's pretty high - my link has been up for 52 days, and it has averaged 7 ES and well under 1 SES per 15 minutes, and I don't consider it a particularly noise-free line.

I'm surprised that interleaving isn't turned on - especially if that is an "average" sample rather than exceptional.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jan-14 14:10:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by s_yates:
Before you get to the Level 3 network in London, you go through several plusnet nodes:

lo0-central10.ptn-ag03.plus.net [195.166.128.192]
link-a-central10.ptn-gw01.plus.net [212.159.2.136]
xe-5-3-0.ptw-cr01.plus.net [212.159.0.108]

Are you saying Plusnet do not own these?

Plusnet own them, but they are in London.

"ptn" = Telehouse North,
"ptw" = Telehouse West

Both are located in Docklands, next door to each other, and alongside Telehouse East.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Jan-14 14:34:06
Print Post

Ofcom do not deal with individual complaints. They only make a note of them and if there is a high volume of similar ones may look into what is going wrong.

The official consumer complaints system laid down by Ofcom is Alternative Dispute Resolution. There are two relevant bodies and all ISPs have to belong to one of them. PlusNet apparently use CICAS. See this page, specifically Section 3. I note there that PlusNet do have a "Complaints Manager". Have you come across such, if there really is one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jan-14 14:39:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It is James Bailey I believe - you may remember him

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 07-Jan-14 14:41:21)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 14:54:08
Print Post

Re: Plusnet IS most certainly not trustworthy

[re: weldick] [link to this post]

If an engineer fails to attend a booked appointment compensation of £45 is due - see http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

If everybody insisted on getting that payment perhaps the bean counters might think more about reducing the frequency.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User AndyHCZ
(learned) Tue 07-Jan-14 15:08:01
Print Post

Ok there is clearly some confusion here.

Do you have problems with your line (i.e. errors on the line/dropping/DLM kicking in/IP profile being lowered) and/or are your traceroutes showing issues?

When you say lag - is this specific to a game, general browsing or something else? Does it occur at specific times of day or all the time?

You can have bad traceroutes/ping times to servers with a perfectly good line and the fault still lies with BTW. I am on FTTP and have had issues before with terrible pings during peak hours to sites like bbc.co.uk The first time was a 21CN/BTW capacity issue at my exchange (BTW first denied any capacity issues but PN worked with other ISPs to show this was not the case). The second time with bad pings was a PN gateway issue which took some time to diagnose, but they eventually fixed it.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Tue 07-Jan-14 15:10:24)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(learned) Tue 07-Jan-14 15:48:09
Print Post

Re: Plusnet untrustworthy

[re: hothands2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hothands2:
I changed to EE and save alot each month and a much better connection /router .

Is only £4 a month (ex VAT) cheaper with EE. But line rental is £4.25 a month cheaper with PN.
Standard User s_yates
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 16:03:16
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

I think you are a tad confused here.

BTOR have given Plusnet a deadlock letter saying they have done everything possible to improve/fix the line. having seen the BTOR Engineers and the tests they performed when working on the line, I do not believe the line is at fault.

I have not had a deadlock letter from Plusnet, hence they have not told me they cannot fix the problem. I also do not believe that they have exhausted all their options either.

So.. I as far as I know, if they put effort into finding what is causing the issue, they could actually fix it. I have invested 16 months of my time to helping Plusnet to resolve this issue and you are advocating giving up?

and please refrain from intimating I am lying... I find that most offensive.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to