General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blimsta
(learned) Thu 16-Jan-14 18:56:48
Print Post

Re: Plusnet untrustworthy

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron.

Interesting conversation.

Its a shame this has to be so complicated, at least I'm not a console gaming, as with PC gaming you get the choice (some games) to use server-side games.

What I was trying to say was, a ISP COULD provide a rout and divert selective traffic rather than individuals having to pay out for a leased line.

In other works ISP's will have to adapt to the changes of its users at the least if it wont to advertise for gamers. Times change, I remember when I could play online with no problems and that was back in the days of dial-up and then cable (fttc) but this change, the internet is loaded with rubbish (in my eyes) and the old get pushed out.

p2p gaming is the new thing, can your ISP provide you with the connection you need?

I understand to the point that I have no more to say, as I've already stated I'm well over my head with this. We get told how it is and pay the bill, end of.

Thanks.

Last thing. I was never told this was the problem, I had to work this out my self. Hence the title.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Jan-14 19:26:43
Print Post

[re: blimsta] [link to this post]

An ISP can only really control its own network, once you go to the first peering link you are then dependent on an ever increasing list of people.

You seem to want something that no ISP on the planet offers to the consumer market.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Jan-14 19:32:18
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

The only way to really control things is a LAN party, beyond that unless you are willing to pay for absolute dedicated capacity between your home and a site that may be different every few days, then you are not going to get perfection.

If playing with server code where one other player hosts the server then you should do the following:

1. Ensure all players are in the same country at least
2. Better to ensure they are all on the same provider
3. Ensure everyone is using the same router and their latency to the core network is within 1-2ms of each other
4. Pester the coders who write the net code to give you appropriate filtering operations

Buying a high volume low margin internet connection no matter how good the ISP tries to be will always have moments of annoyance and drop outs. That is why critical applications do not use ACK'less protocols or implement a suitable control mechanism to take into account the odd lost/delayed packet.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Jan-14 13:59:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

only just seen this thread and read up to the post ignition mentions me.

My experience so far is I think I remember seeing congestion one of the early nights I was migrated I think new years day or day after. It wasnt heavy congestion. I did see some jitter but not large amounts on ssh sessions which went away when I upgraded to pro. I didnt upgrade to pro because of the jitter tho as it wasnt significant but because I had some packetloss, I plan to cancel pro to see if the issue remains as it could have been caused by something else, I dont feel its conclusive yet.

In terms of speeds, even before I got pro I didnt have any significant issues, netflix worked fine, speedtests were generally fine, and external ftp (which is silver traffic) was almost at line rate.

In terms of peering I have seen what I consider worser performance than I had on BT but defenitly not the worst I have seen, I still get respectable speeds from america, and the peering issue I seen from germany may not be plusnet's fault. That issue goes away on ipv6 as that uses different routing. But on ipv4 its been fine for the past week or so as well everytime I checked.

Ignition is right I am sensitive to issues and I havent found anything to moan about performance wise that I could confidently say is congestion at this time. Certianly mainstream services work fine, iplayer, netflix, youtube, 4od etc. Plus ping jitter is lower than BT due to how BT were round robin traffic across different routes in my area, although BT's jitter was nothing of note, about 1ms.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Jan-14 14:59:32
Print Post

"The Fountain Of Knowledge" is automatic after a number of posts.

Don't think PN put your line in. It may have been the GPO many years ago and was only for making telephone calls.

So did you have a bad drop cable or not?

No ISP guarantees that individual lines are suitable for any type of internet traffic.

Surely it's only a game!!!!!

Edited: Just read the rest of the posts and you don't attack others for stating what I said. You may not like some of the answers to your predicament but that's life!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Edited by broadband66 (Fri 17-Jan-14 15:05:08)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Jan-14 00:08:35
Print Post

Re: Plusnet trustworthy

There is an old saying about peanuts and monkeys, well I think in all honesty I pay peanuts for an unlimited usage BB connection in 2014, I don't do gaming so can't say boo to PN regarding that but for my type of internet usage Plusnet are more than OK.

Download speed isn't fast as the direct connection to the exchange is nearly six kilometres away ....... with no cabinets in sight [sigh]

Alastair
plusnet
Standard User blimsta
(learned) Sun 19-Jan-14 18:53:34
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

For the sake of human intelligence could you please look up the definition of a ISP and try to apply that to our understanding of a connection worthy of gaming on.

Collective thinking is a powerful tool. Collective confusion isn't smile
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jan-14 20:01:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by blimsta:
For the sake of human intelligence could you please look up the definition of a ISP

ISP

Stands for "Internet Service Provider." In order to connect to the Internet, you need an ISP. It is the company that you (or your parents) pay a monthly fee to in order to use the Internet. If you use a dial-up modem to connect to your ISP, a point-to-point protocol (PPP) connection is established with another modem on the ISP's end. That modem connects to one of the ISP's routers, which routes you to the Internet "backbone." From there, you can access information from anywhere around the world. DSL and cable modems work the same way, except after you connect the first time, you are always connected.

After a google of "definition of a ISP"
No 3 hit...
is my favourite. smile

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User blimsta
(learned) Mon 20-Jan-14 14:49:55
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

An update for you chrisparr.

I was playing Planetside 2 last night with a friend while using chat program to talk with.

It turns out there is a second delay with things that are happening on his screen to mine. But I did say before I was getting less problems playing on a 3G connection over my Plusnet Fibre connection.

He is playing on BT adsl2+.

I didn't think it was this bad for other people because why would everyone be playing the game? plus no one else is reporting problems like mine.

In game-
This is what happened, I was healing the sunderer my friend was in and basically he started shouting at me to move it back in the shielded area because it was taking damage. Not on my screen but a second after he sed that it just instantly blow up.

PS. so nothing has changed, line wasn't to blame and now it been replaced you can't point the finger at BT.

Edited by blimsta (Mon 20-Jan-14 14:50:40)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jan-14 15:30:26
Print Post

ISP gives access to the internet...... no more, no less.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to