General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 03-Jan-14 13:16:49
Print Post

Re: Plusnet untrustworthy

[re: blimsta] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blimsta:
Plusnet staff.

So my connection keeps dropping out but my router logs have not stated any WAN disconnections or PPPo sessions ended.

Why can I not just end my contract based on this?

You need to highlight evidence to Plusnet, that a member of staff misinformed you that their service was unthrottled. Because this contradicts all the openly and widely known available information, stating the traffic is throttled on Plusnet and all other major UK ISP's

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 13:57:21
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
You need to highlight evidence to Plusnet, that a member of staff misinformed you that their service was unthrottled. Because this contradicts all the openly and widely known available information, stating the traffic is throttled on Plusnet and all other major UK ISP's

Plusnet Unlimited is not throttled, else they wouldn't be able to advertise it as unlimited, and I'm sure Sky would be interested to know that they throttle.

What Plusnet do on the Unlimited isn't quite the same as throttling.
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:15:51
Print Post

PS. thinkbroadband have a direct link (network) to PN (which renders the ping test pointless) and the staff here are reluctant in helping me. I just wonder how far this corruption goes.

Think Broadband do not have a direct link (network) to Plusnet. They peer via LINX not a private peering interface, nothing dedicated. Any issues on the Plusnet side will affect Think Broadband in the same manner as every other Plusnet peer on the LINX .224 LAN.

Tracing route to www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 17 ms 14 ms 12 ms lo0-central10.ptw-ag01.plus.net [195.166.128.195]
4 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms link-a-central10.ptw-gw01.plus.net [212.159.2.144]
5 12 ms 30 ms 11 ms xe-4-2-0.ptw-cr01.plus.net [212.159.0.240]
6 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
7 14 ms 18 ms 14 ms gi1-24-10-star1.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.9]
8 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]

You have already been told that Plusnet suspect this is a rare bug in the exchange; some bugs get worse under load, and there is zero evidence that Plusnet have severe peering congestion issues, as the other over 650,000 of us don't see it. I am quite sure if there were severe issues Chrysalis would have noted them given he's a sysadmin who works on multiple networks and is very, very sensitive to slower speeds and jitter on other networks.

Appreciate your experience has been bad but accusing people of corruption and lying while simultaneously fixating on what you think is the fault, while having no evidence for it, isn't going to get things fixed.

Follow the official complaints process, get a deadlock letter if needed and go through the arbitration process. Accusations of corruption and implying that Plusnet are being funded by government cash isn't going to help... not to mention that the 2.5 billion figure you quote isn't government cash but what BT themselves have/are spending on their commercial rollout. The BDUK pot is substantially lower.

As I said I know you're irate but things like this are always best pursued from a position of knowledge rather than assumption, and just a quick look at this suggests you're assuming a lot. See how Plusnet go with the investigations. If it is a line issue moving won't achieve anything. If it's an issue in the exchange moving may not achieve anything.

Also, while Plusnet are continuing to work on the line issues there is no deadlock to be had. Let them do their thing.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 03-Jan-14 14:21:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:21:42
Print Post

As Alext05 notes, we all end up having problems with organisations from time to time. Some are easily solved, while some are not. In attempting to sort out problems, it can sometimes happen that a customer feels slighted - treated unfairly or somesuch - which in turn can let the problem become a feud.

In some cases, that "slight" can be the result of a misunderstanding or a simple human mistake, and all attempts to correct the misunderstanding result in the feud going deeper. That ends up with accusations of lying, corruption, and all manner of negativity. At this point, simple mistakes are amplified out of all proportion. Misunderstandings become rife. One person feels deeply aggrieved, but no-one else does.

In this case, I note one misunderstanding that has been repeated twice:
PS. who else benefits from this O_o. 2.5 billion British pounds of tax payers money went into BT's pocket for this FTTC product. My local ISP got nothing.

2.5 billion British pounds of tax payers money for this FTTC.

The £2.5bn of money being spent on the commercial rollout of FTTC (of which you appear to be a beneficiary with 74/20 speeds) is being spent by BT out of their own funds. No-one else is contributing to that fund, though BT have to borrow it from someone (and repay it). This is meant to cover 67% of the UK., though 40% overlaps with Virgin coverage so those users have a choice.

It appears that around 10% of the UK can get SFBB from Virgin but not BT.

Between these two, the commercial rollouts mean that around 77% of the UK can (or will be able to) benefit from SFBB without the need for taxpayers money.

The tax-payers money being used to get SFBB speeds to 90% of the UK amounts to around £1.2bn at the moment. Where contracts have been announced, BT has won, and have added their own money to the pot - about 40% of the total, or another 0.8bn or so IIRC.

Extra funds are being discussed for 2017 targets, but haven't been allocated yet.

The problem I have is this...
When I see someone seething at a company, and showing elementary misunderstandings, it makes me wonder what other misunderstandings have contributed to the feud. There may be none at all, but it makes me wonder.
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:22:32
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Plusnet Unlimited is not throttled, else they wouldn't be able to advertise it as unlimited, and I'm sure Sky would be interested to know that they throttle.

What Plusnet do on the Unlimited isn't quite the same as throttling.

Unlimited relates to the total amount of data, meaning you can download as much as you want to download.
The throttling/traffic management is the speed at which you download at. You are still unlimited, but the amount of time it takes will be longer.

(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:36:04
Print Post

Unlimited relates to the total amount of data, meaning you can download as much as you want to download.
The throttling/traffic management is the speed at which you download at. You are still unlimited, but the amount of time it takes will be longer.

Nope.

If you disagree you can report Plusnet's advertising to the ASA as their Key Facts Indicator claims no throttling.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:36:42
Print Post

Just to be clear there are *no* rate limits on our Unlimited product. There is traffic prioritisation to ensure more time sensitive traffic is ahead of non-time critical stuff, but nothing that will slow it down to a set speed.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User blimsta
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:54:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

@WWWombat

Right more manipulating posts. I do not agree with any of that. I took that statement from a court case against BT over the FTTC roll out and how BT lied about investing there own money.

But anyway, you are missing the point or diverting the attention, and as I stated already as staff you are reluctant in being any help. What is your mentality anyway!

As a gamers we don't want to spend 3 years learning how the internet works just so some corporation doesn't try to pull a fast one.

That's the reality of the situation at hand.

Edited by blimsta (Fri 03-Jan-14 14:55:04)

(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:00:23
Print Post

Right more manipulating posts. I do not agree with any of that. I took that statement from a court case against BT over the FTTC roll out and how BT lied about investing there own money.

I'd quite like to see the information on that court case given that BT still claim it's that that 2.5bln is their money. If they are lying about that in contravention of a court case that'd be pretty serious.

Not to mention lying to shareholders and the stock market. Forget fines, there would be criminal prosecutions.
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:27:32
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Nope.

If you disagree you can report Plusnet's advertising to the ASA as their Key Facts Indicator claims no throttling.

Plusnet using the term Priority. is only an alternative legal/marketing wording to differentiate Plusnet's version of throttling. The difference is, the previouse throttling reduced the speed/rate of all the internet traffic. Plusnet throttle individual streams of data/traffic types.

In this topic or instance, the OP has been reporting his P2P traffic/communications performance keeps dropping, when Plusnet enters it's busy periods. This is because of Plusnet's traffic management system throttles/sacrificing P2P traffic users first, as P2P traffic is classified as low Priority Bronze traffic. The OP has already stated his P2P traffic is fine in the early hours of the morning.

If Plusnet Staff are willing as a gesture of good will, to offer to trial the PRO package raising the OP's P2P traffic from Bronze to Silver. If it works, it will be upto the OP to either pay for the upgrade to the Pro package after the trial period.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to