I'm currently having issues with EE they refuse to get my line looked at.
I have lived in this property for 5 years and our line speed used to sync at between 3.5mbs and 5mbs over the recent 8 months we have been stuck between 1.2mbs and 1.7mbs
EE refuse to get the line checked as BT suggest between 1mb and 4mb being the supported line speed in this area.
Could anyone suggest a way to get open reach to get it back to what it was. I have checked local interference from devices in the house I have isolated the router to be the only thing powered on after they reset the line it just suffers from constant disconects till it gets to 1.2mb.
It is on the master socket I've tried multiple routers 4 in total, I've tried multiple filters open reach came round to fit a socket with built in filter the open reach engineer even said God there's a lot of noise on this line.
its been like this since bad weather during the winter.
Just so you know its llanfaglan Caernarfon don't ever go with EE I only have 4 more months left in this contract but scared other providers will say the same
The fact it was fine for 4 years doesn't mean anything to them.