General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 14:16:43
Print Post

Vivaciti unfairly suspended my internet (story inside)

[link to this post]

TL;DR:
Bill shock, dispute, cancelled direct debit, got suspended, feel bullied.

Here is the story:

Recently I moved house, bringing my Vivaciti ADSL line with me.

A month before I moved I asked them if there was any cost involved and they didn't reply.

I went ahead to tell them I am moving house, and they said there is an active line in the new flat and they will take it over.

A week ago I received a large bill from Vivaciti with some unknown charges:

Broadband Activation Fee £40.00
WLR Basic SL - Trans-Conv from MPF £40.00
WLR Renumber Charge £14.95
ADSL Cease charge £31.12

I immediately asked them to delete them of course, because I was never told about these fees.

So while I am still waiting for a resolution, the day before the direct debit is due to take money out of my bank account, they put in the amount of the full bill with all these extra charges included, I cannot afford to have this much money out of my bank at once so I stopped my direct debit just before the day, after they have entered the amount.

And the next day my internet is stopped and I received an email (luckily my phone still works) saying "We have been advised that you have cancelled your direct debit, I can see you have disputed some of the charges but by just cancelling your direct debit this gives us no alternative than to temporarily suspend your service until this issue is resolved."

We exchanged some emails and they keep saying vague questions I don't even know how to answer like
"who told you there would be no cost"
"can I assume you just thought there were no cease charges or activation charges at all?"
"At no point where you told there would be no costs to cease your existing service and install a new service."

I said I only moved my house and I never wanted all these random things.

I feel like I have been bullied to pay money I do not owe, and now I am without internet. (I am using my phone right now.)

They are taking ages to sort out my bill (and still unresolved), but the moment I cancel my direct debit because of the ongoing dispute, my internet is suspended. I feel this is totally unfair.

Questions:

Are the fees normal for moving house?
If so, what are my options for complaint about poor (non-existence) of information and mis-selling?
If not, what are my options for complaint about poor communication and my internet being unfairly suspended?

Am I at fault? Am I at fault for cancelling my direct debit? Although I am happy to pay the regular monthly fees, I am not prepared for the extra fees listed above to be taken out suddenly.

My worry is what if Vivaciti drags on and not willing to cancel the fees and amend the bill, I won't be able to pay the correct amount, thus they will never re-enable my internet.

What should I do? Ask them to split the bill so I can pay the regular monthly fee first?

I appreciate any advice at all, thanks.
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 14:19:59
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti unfairly suspended my internet (story inside)

[re: Bastien] [link to this post]

I tried to signed up to another ISP (with landline and broadband) but Vivaciti just sent me this email.

"I have been informed that you have placed an order to move your phone line, this has been blocked as until the account is settled no moves or transfers can be done."

Are they even allowed to do this?
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 14:37:18
Print Post

Only way to know if the fees are correct is to look in the T&C you accepted when signing up

If they arent then dispute them. If theyre you don't have a leg to stand on really.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 15:14:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bastien:
I tried to signed up to another ISP (with landline and broadband) but Vivaciti just sent me this email.

"I have been informed that you have placed an order to move your phone line, this has been blocked as until the account is settled no moves or transfers can be done."

Are they even allowed to do this?
They are not supposed to do this no, But you can hardly blame them can you? because if you migrated to an new provider the chances of them getting any form of payment are drastically reduced , well that is how they will no doubt see it

I would of asked them if the fee's could be split into 2 or 3 equal amounts or other amount that you could manage to pay on top of whatever monthly costs you normally pay ,Had you been with one of the bigger isp's they may of offered a free house move service ,but at the cost of a new min term contract ,But vivaciti as far as I'm aware doesn't sell long contracts , and as a small isp can't do free house moves ,they in most cases are passing on BTOR fees that they have to pay , for things like the cease fee and taking the line over in the new property

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 15-Jan-16 15:16:58)

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 15:32:07
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

It was almost three years ago and I can't find the T&C anymore.

This was from an old email: http://www.vivaciti.net/terms-and-conditions
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-16 15:34:47
Print Post

No surprise there is a charge. When you contacted them about the move they ought to have informed you that there were charges. But - did you do any research into the house move and whether there would be any charges?

It is commonly known by people on this forum that moving between houses would incur charges but most of us have been doing these things for a long time so have been around the block a time or two. I guess when comparing it to other "utilities" you may not assume that there would be a charge as gas/electric/water etc don't levy charges like this.

You could try to take them to court over them not informing you of the charges when you requested the house move but I would suggest you need to make sure that it wasn't mentioned anywhere in your Ts&Cs. As it stands you have effectively ceased the contract at the old address and started a new contract at the new address and so the fees are not for a house move service but for termination of one and start of another. I suspect the charges are indeed listed somewhere and a court may take the stance you should have checked first - but I am not a lawyer and it could well be the opposite with the court saying the supplier should have been clearer.

EDIT : Just looking at this page. There is an FAQ about "Can I move my broadband to another premises". That states that it is a termination (and elsewhere on that page it states termination charges) and then a new order (and costs for a new order are also published on the site).

A court may believe that this provides enough details to justify their position.

Edited by ian72 (Fri 15-Jan-16 15:37:51)

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 16:11:42
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

They did not inform me of the charges.

I saw the FAQ, I just thought they were just technical terms i.e. steps they have to take to move the line, I totally did not expect they are actually charges.

I did not see the other paragraph about termination charges etc. I thought they are entirely unrelated. The two paragraphs are too far apart to be related in any way, and there was no mention of any charges in the "moving" paragraph. It is impossible for the connection between the two to be made. Moving and termination in my dictionary are two different things.

And I have just discovered they have signed me up to a NEW 12 MONTH CONTRACT, which is totally unexpected. I assumed my plan is unchanged aka monthly contract from before the move. Nobody told me about the new contract period.

I feel totally cheated.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 17:32:13
Print Post

No, this is not a valid reason to block an outward migration and is against the Ofcom code for transfers.

If there is a contractual dispute, you have to sort it out by other means. That means you going to their ADR if they do not resolve your complaint to your satisfaction within 8 weeks of the original matter being raised to them or them to a small claims if you refuse to pay.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 17:43:09
Print Post

They did not inform me of the charges.

I saw the FAQ, I just thought they were just technical terms i.e. steps they have to take to move the line, I totally did not expect they are actually charges.

I did not see the other paragraph about termination charges etc. I thought they are entirely unrelated. The two paragraphs are too far apart to be related in any way, and there was no mention of any charges in the "moving" paragraph. It is impossible for the connection between the two to be made. Moving and termination in my dictionary are two different things.

And I have just discovered they have signed me up to a NEW 12 MONTH CONTRACT, which is totally unexpected. I assumed my plan is unchanged aka monthly contract from before the move. Nobody told me about the new contract period.

I feel totally cheated.
Was there any explanation as to why there would be a 12mth min term at the new address before the move? Are you on the same product now as you were in your old property ? i can see from their web site that they offer 2 ADSL type products one is Broadband Unlimited which has a 12mth min term the other is a usage capped product which is a 1mth min term , the FTTC has a 12mth min term also

If the same product IMO they should of waived this 12mth min term at your new address as they have charged you to cease at your old address and hit you with their IMO over priced activation fee, which in some cases isn't representative to their charges at a wholesale level, £30 inc VAT is sufficient to cover the ISP admin costs IMO and it would also be a incentive for remaining a loyal customer

As you could have easily just had your service ceased at the old address and moved into you new one, and ordered from a different ISP & CP

You depending on how long it has been may still be within the cooling off period so you may be able to sort something with this 12mth min term ie get it changed to a monthly min term, if not cancel it penalty free ,

As a bit of advice all further communication between you and vivaciti ideally should be via E-mail or snail mail so that both parties have a record of events , As Matt has pointed out you maybe should register your complaint with their ADR provider , you could also let ofcom know that they have wrongly blocked your outward migration (though ofcom are quite toothless in reality) Vivaciti 's ADR is with

Onbudsman services

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 15-Jan-16 18:03:58)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 17:52:29
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The service at the OPs last address was 12 months (although he was out of his 12 month contract when he moved home) and the new service was also 12 months.
Broadband Activation costs us £40.00 + VAT and that's what we charge it out at we do not make any profit on this.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User bernado
(member) Fri 15-Jan-16 18:19:35
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
No, this is not a valid reason to block an outward migration and is against the Ofcom code for transfers.
Matt

Just out of interest is Ofcom's transfers code a kind of gentlemen's agreement of expected levels of service or is it something more binding?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 18:20:26
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
The service at the OPs last address was 12 months (although he was out of his 12 month contract when he moved home) and the new service was also 12 months.
Broadband Activation costs us £40.00 + VAT and that's what we charge it out at we do not make any profit on this.

Well if it isn't you making a profit on this who ever charges you £48 (inc Vat)
is making a profit on it, because they won't be getting charged that much by BT
Especially when there is a 12mth min term involved the charge should be less or none existent
Also it would appear that you have contravened ofcom's rules by preventing the OP's outward migration , although i can understand your reasons for doing it, it doesn't really give a great impression does it
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 18:23:31
Print Post

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bernado:
Matt

Just out of interest is Ofcom's transfers code a kind of gentlemen's agreement of expected levels of service or is it something more binding?
under the MAC system there was certainly a ruling that the existing provider could not prevent or hinder the migration because the customer owed them money, So i can't really see that this will of changed since the introduction of the GPL migration system in place now
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 18:27:15
Print Post

This is just plain wrong. I signed up for a monthly contract back in 2013. It was a monthly contract. It has always been a monthly contract. Nobody told me about this change. Nobody told me about the 12 month thing until TODAY.

This is from the first email you sent me, in 2013:
"As contracts are monthly it is advisable to check you have read and understood our terms and conditions regularly."

I was not told ANYTHING at all, at any point during the three years I was with you, about a 12 month contract, literally until today. This is completely new to me.
Standard User ehteam
(experienced) Fri 15-Jan-16 20:16:08
Print Post

"by just cancelling your direct debit this gives us no alternative than to temporarily suspend your service until this issue is resolved."

If not, what are my options for complaint about poor communication and my internet being unfairly suspended?

No alternative? Assuming 12.3 is the relevant clause Vivaciti does have an alternative to suspension. I would ask what this alternative is - reconnection while the dispute is settled for instance? If I have a problem with a supplier I dispute charges rather than tell them to delete charges as that would suggest I have no intention of ever being persuaded to pay.

You have cancelled all payments? Offer to pay the usual rental/call/broadband charges accrued and for the disputed charges to be put on hold while whatever settlement process progresses.

http://www.vivaciti.net/termsandconditions

12.3 If any of the events detailed in 12.2 occur as a result of Customer default, Vivaciti Broadband may suspend the Service without prejudice to its right to terminate this Contract.

Paul
Standard User Tazz_uk
(experienced) Fri 15-Jan-16 20:23:35
Print Post

Wow the idea of another 12 months contract by mainstream suppliers is normally to cover the costs of migration. You cannot change for the move and another 12 months that is just greedy...

BT Infinity 2 Broadband
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 20:23:35
Print Post

[re: ehteam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ehteam:
You have cancelled all payments? Offer to pay the usual rental/call/broadband charges accrued and for the disputed charges to be put on hold while whatever settlement process progresses.

I have already asked for a bill with just the monthly fees (which I have always expected to pay so no problem with that) so I can pay those first. I am no thief.

I cancelled my direct debit yesterday because they have entered the full amount to be taken out, which I was/am still trying to dispute.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Jan-16 09:45:20
Print Post

Ignorance is no form of defence.

As T&Cs seem to be made more beneficial for the customer nowadays the companies have to make some money when customers change their contract.

Unless I'm wrong, a supplier is supplying a service at a particular address and they are under no obligation to supply at a different address with the same contract. Granted if you have been on a monthly contract then that should be offered at the new address.

If you look throughout these forums then you will see that major changes seem to form a new contract. Eg new router, upgrade to faster speed (VM), etc.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 13:25:39
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I offered to pay the monthly fees. No reply from them.
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Sat 16-Jan-16 16:06:16
Print Post

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

Matt

See http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/g...

A1.2 covers the circumstances losing providers can cancel migrations
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 19:11:49
Print Post

Sent a follow up email this morning, offering to pay the monthly fees.

No reply at all today.

Still without internet. Day 2.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Jan-16 19:39:20
Print Post

I think you could also offer to pay off the disputed charges over a few months. Then hope to negotiate a reduction or refund during that period. At least you would have a service.

Have you paid anything to them since the house move? If not, when you tried to migrate away it could be said you didn't really have a service to migrate. Yes there was a service, but the contract could be deemed null and void as you had paid nothing - not even the first month's normal charge.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jan-16 20:57:57
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gt94sss2:
Matt

See http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/g...

A1.2 covers the circumstances losing providers can cancel migrations
“The Losing Communications Provider shall only be permitted to use Cancel Other in the following circumstances:
i) where Slamming has occurred;
ii) at the Customer‟s request, where the Gaining Communications Provider has failed to cancel the request after being directed by the Customer to do so (“Failure to Cancel”);
iii) where the telephone line is, or will be, ceased during the Transfer Period (“Line Cease”);
iv) for other specified reasons not related to a Customer‟s request to cancel a transfer, and agreed by the relevant industry forum and approved by Ofcom; and
v) in such circumstances as defined by Ofcom.”
1.7 GC24.15 requires that:
“Before using Cancel Other in cases of Slamming and/or Failure to Cancel, the Losing Communications Provider shall take reasonable steps to establish that Slamming and/or Failure to Cancel has actually taken place.”
1.8 GC24.18 requires that:
“Where the Losing Communications Provider communicates with the Customer in order to comply with this General Condition, it must not make any marketing statements or representations in the communication which may induce the Customer to terminate their contract with the Gaining Communications Provider and/or remain in a contract with the Losing Communications Provider.”
1.9 Sections 94 to 96 of the Act provide for the enforcement of conditions and give Ofcom powers to take action, including the imposition of penalties, against persons who contravene, or have contravened, a condition set under section 45 of the Act.
and further reading could well mean it is as Matt said , Vivaciti has broken the ofcom rules there is nothing in that that suggests that owing the loosing provider money or failing to honour the min term is regarded as justification by ofcom for Cancel other

I would think the reasonable thing to do in this case ,Would be to reach some agreement that suits both parties, that might be a payment plan, or the waiving of some of the associated fees (due to the fact there is a new 12mth min term involved) the latter is assuming the OP still wishes to take service from Vivaciti,
But should they still wish to migrate to another provider,the OP should be able to do this without their attempts being blocked, that imo gives more reason not to pay the loosing provider,
Of course the op if they so wished could always get a new line installed and take service with another provider some will do this line install free or at a reasonable fee , and then just abandon the existing line all together nothing stopping them doing that
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Jan-16 21:44:31
Print Post

A lot of very bad advice there, tommy.

The debt remains. The best the OP can do is negotiate it to a lower figure. To zero is unlikely.

Just abandoning the existing line leaves the debt outstanding plus ongoing charges plus ultimately another cease fee. The OP would be unable to claim ignorance in a court after what has already happened.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jan-16 22:33:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes i know the debt remains, i never said that it did not, And what is bad about me advising the OP and Vivaciti to come to some arrangement that suits both of them, that would be my first coarse of action, then arbitration , but if i did no longer want service from vivaciti and they wrongly cancelled further attempts to migrate services to another provider, then i wouldn't hesitate in getting another line , and would totally abandon the existing one,
I would still pay monies owed following arbitration if reaching a compromise with vivaciti wasn't possible No one should have to wait to migrate because of a debt that is owing in the first place
But there again i wouldn't get myself into such a situation the op is in, Had i been in the op's shoes i probably would of just ceased the bb at the old address and moved the voice to the new address , then sorted things from that point ,because i wouldn't be paying £50 activation fees on a 12mth min term £25-30 inc Vat at a push maybe this is ADSL after all

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 16-Jan-16 22:38:51)

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 22:52:05
Print Post

It seems there is some misunderstanding, or maybe some information is missed in the long thread.

I will summarize the whole thing in chronological order, so you can see what I am arguing.

But before that let's establish some facts: the only place that mentions about "moving" is the FAQ on their website which has a paragraph explaining the technical process with no mention of any fees. "Moving" is not mentioned in their current T&C.

So now I begin the story.

So I signed up for a monthly contract, since 2013, and this has never changed, I was never told about any change, I never authorised any change, as far as I am concerned I am still in a one month contract. No question there.

So I moved house, I looked at their FAQ which is the only information on moving, they have a paragraph explaining the technical process, but makes no mention of any fee whatsoever. I asked them about fees, I was given a line of "I think 8 pounds", and then nothing afterwards. The exact quote as follows:

"The phone line is physical and attached the building so the current phone line and broadband would need to be terminated, for this you would need to let us know the date you wish the services to be ceased.
If the new premises has an active phone line then we can do a line takeover which costs I think £8 and has a lead time of 10 days, once the line is under our control we can place a broadband order which will take a further 7 days to complete.
If you can give us the new address then we can look up to see if we can do a line takeover and advise you better."

Then I provided the address,

"Hi.
There is a working phone line at that premises so we would be able to perform a working line takeover."

As far as I am concerned, I have been told these lines: "then we can do a line takeover which costs I think £8" and "...then we can look up to see if we can do a line takeover and advise you better" for the cost of the move. There was no further confirmation. So I assumed it to be none, because otherwise they would have told me. They did not mention any fee in any later emails. As far as I have been led to believe, the move does not cost anyone any money.

I am willing to negotiate on the case of the vague mentioning of 8 pounds, but not the 126.07 pounds they are now asking for.

Later I ordered the line to be moved to the new place. I was told it has been done, they even kept the same number and username and password without asking. Great, I thought. At this point as far as I am concerned, the move was free, and I am still with the same plan.

So I moved in, plugged in my modem router, everything works just like before, same speed and everything. As far as I am concerned, the move was successful, life continues, I am still going paying the same amount every month, so all is good.

Until I was hit with the bill with all those charges I did not expect and did not know about.

So now at this point, As far as I am concerned I was not told anywhere at any point about these fees before the bill. I did not know about them.

And also, as far as I am concerned, I am still on a monthly contract. And I am perfectly happy to pay the monthly fees.

But I am not okay with the extra charges I was not told about, it was not mentioned on any website, and in any emails.

So in conclusion, I owe them nothing other than the regular monthly fees, and I am on a monthly contract that I can get out without penalty (although now I know "cease" is a billing item and not a technical procedure).

I made every effort to find out if there was any fee, I looked at their website, even asked about it, and I got nothing. I should not be expected to be able to know about the fees given my efforts and the result I was given. I have fulfilled my work as a customer to find out about the fee, and I have been led by the combined effect of the non-mentioning of fees under the paragraph about "moving" on the website, and in the non-mentioning of fees in the emails, to come to a conclusion that there is no fee. It is not a case of I did not know about something I should have found out, on the contrary, from my effort I have found out that there was none, because I was made to believe there was none.

And to give a latest update, I have already sent an offer to pay the monthly fees yesterday, it was even an unconditional offer. I have yet to get any reply. And my internet is still suspended.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Jan-16 22:57:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
But should they still wish to migrate to another provider,the OP should be able to do this without their attempts being blocked, that imo gives more reason not to pay the loosing provider,
Of course the op if they so wished could always get a new line installed and take service with another provider some will do this line install free or at a reasonable fee , and then just abandon the existing line all together nothing stopping them doing that
Loosing by the way is what you do when you slacken off or release some sort of tie.

A provider you leave is a losing provider. If your pocket is picked, you lose your wallet. You don't loose it.

Losing and loosing aren't even pronounced the same.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Jan-16 23:05:32
Print Post

I accept you have a good case. I was just trying to suggest the best way of getting a working connection while it gets sorted. However earlier you did say you had seen the FAQs but the two clauses didn't seem to be related. Thin ice there.

So maybe the monthly fee plus that £8 for a starter. But I think for the quickest result it would need to be by bank transfer. Next quickest, a cheque which would need to clear. Slowest, wait for the d/d to be reinstated. That's assuming you cancelled the authority and didn't just block the specific request.

All assuming they accept the suggestion, which I wouldn't rate as highly probable.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jan-16 23:09:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Loosing by the way is what you do when you slacken off or release some sort of tie.

A provider you leave is a losing provider. If your pocket is picked, you lose your wallet. You don't loose it.

Losing and loosing aren't even pronounced the same.
Oops the spelling police are out tonight, and it's loosen or loosening BTW

Yes that is my opinion, if a provider is being obstructive (preventing outward migration) that would just create further animosity and not be a constructive step in getting a resolution with some people,
And of course the other bit was highlighting another option available to the OP should this become a long drawn out process ie a deadlock situation it's what action i would take if i was unable to use the existing line
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Jan-16 23:19:45
Print Post

... and it's loosen or loosening BTW
Link tongue wink.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jan-16 23:24:45
Print Post

Is what i was replying to you loosen your tie or you were loosening your tie,

And yes as you have pointed out i should of put losing and not loosing

losen definition

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 16-Jan-16 23:28:06)

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 23:32:02
Print Post

However earlier you did say you had seen the FAQs but the two clauses didn't seem to be related. Thin ice there.

The paragraph on moving explains a technical process with no mention of fees.

The other one mentions fees for some unrelated items when you quit, none of them is about moving.

It is not a puzzle piece. I am not here to solve a puzzle. If it didn't mention fees about moving, it didn't mention fees about moving.

And on top of that, my conclusion came from the combination of this, plus the not-mentioning-fee in emails, to have led to believe no fees exists, just like you have no reason to believe the existence of a pink unicorn that I did not mention at any point.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Jan-16 00:18:18
Print Post

I'm sorry you've chosen to be quite so aggressive and rude, when all I've been trying to do is help by making suggestions for resolution in the quickest way, that could also have re-established goodwill between you and them and perhaps allowed a compromise.

If your communications have been just as combative towards them then no wonder you are stuck.

I'll leave you in peace to find your own way. But just not paying anything until they cancel what you claim are unfair charges could mess up your credit rating for years. With you possibly still having to pay most of what they say.

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-16 00:45:55
Print Post

I find it strange that a pink unicorn can be considered aggressive and rude. I was just explaining my stance. I was typing in a calm tone. Sorry you are reading it in a rude voice. Thanks for your suggestions. I have already asked to pay for the monthly fees, but I have not got any reply from them, and I don't think I can just force money into their pocket unless they say it is okay to do so. Also I don't have their bank details.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Jan-16 01:10:17
Print Post

I also suggested offering to start paying instalments on the other charges while negotiating. If I had a customer refusing to pay the one-off charges but agreeing to pay the ongoing ones, I would be worried about ever getting any of what I claimed.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jan-16 10:11:48
Print Post

As a fee of £8 was mentioned you would be quite justified in thinking that was the total fee - I'd suggest you should be offering to pay that as well.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Sun 17-Jan-16 15:44:03
Print Post

Overall, I'd say that Vivaciti are a bit screwed here.

They have breached OFCOM rules by blocking the migration. They can argue that you owe them £126 or whatever, but that's irrelevant now.

At this point you just press for a deadlock letter and take them to ADR, and no matter what happens this costs them ~£350, which is more than double the tiny amount they are quibbling over.

If it goes in your favor, the ADR provider are likely to take a dim view of the migration blocking and force them to credit the £126 and pay any costs of yours.

I personally would be ordering a new line right now so as not to be without broadband, refusing to pay Vivaciti, and then pushing it to ADR after the £126 refunded, and any costs from getting a new line installed rather than a migration reimbursed.

Small cowboy ISPs not playing by the rules is annoying. They had the moral high ground until they blocked your migration.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Sun 17-Jan-16 15:47:05
Print Post

Are you actually serious? You are an ISP representative, this is a public forum, and you are posting personal details of their service, that they have not themselves posted. This is a clear breach of data protection rules, you've just told us how long his contract is, that he was outside it when he moved, etc, this is not what you should be doing.

OP, take them to ADR and hammer them. While you are at it report them to the information commissioner for posting details of your service without consent. Vivaciti appears to be a sole trader so he's personally liable, for potentially a massive fine for what is a willful breach of data protection legislation.

Edited by nemeth782 (Sun 17-Jan-16 15:49:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Jan-16 17:56:52
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

How is it posting personal information when we have no idea who the OP is?

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jan-16 21:59:33
Print Post

Should HAVE put not should OF put.

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jan-16 22:05:32
Print Post

What in this case is more important to you? Access to the internet or paying more than you should have to and then trying to recoup the monies?

Stopping a DD is never the best way to act. This I assume constitutes a termination of the contract by yourself.

I agree the ISP hasn't acted in a good way by not replying to your emails but I'm sure some law type person could advise us on what should have been done .

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-16 23:51:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
At this point you just press for a deadlock letter and take them to ADR

I have already asked to file a complaint about everything 2 days ago, on the same day I was given this email:

"Your complaint has already been accepted by Us, at this moment in time we have been investigating what you have been told and what you have asked for. If you are not happy with the response after 10 days then you can ask for the complaint to be escalated to management, then then have a further 10 days to try to resolve the issue. If there has still been no resolutions after this time then you can ask for the complaint to be raised with the managing director, only after 8 weeks have passed and there has still been no resolution then you can ask that the matter be passed to our ADR service."

So in short, 10 days then raise to management, another 10 days then raise to management director, another 8 weeks for ADR, that is going to be 76 days in total without internet (currently at day 3). 76 days, trapped, without internet. I will be daunted out of my mind if this goes on.

I am currently:
Day 3 without internet.
Day 3 without reply for my offer of paying monthly fees.
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-16 23:53:37
Print Post

How is it posting personal information when we have no idea who the OP is?

From https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-p...
It is important to note that, where the ability to identify an individual depends partly on the data held and partly on other information (not necessarily data), the data held will still be “personal data”.
Example
An organisation holds data on microfiche. The microfiche records do not identify individuals by name, but bear unique reference numbers which can be matched to a card index system to identify the individuals concerned. The information held on the microfiche records is personal data.

And to comment on this, well, the fact that they spotted me on a public forum was a little shocking. They even sent me a little email about it. I did not expect to see them reply here.

Their data on me (12 month contract they are now claiming it to be) is even wrong because as far as I am concerned I am still on a monthly contract, unchanged since 2013.
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-16 23:55:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Stopping a DD is never the best way to act. This I assume constitutes a termination of the contract by yourself.

The day I got the advanced payment notice I immediately told them I was to dispute the amount, and after 5 days passed without any reply they finally said it will be investigated, but the next day which is the day before the direct debit is due to go through they entered the full amount into the system, I of course had to ring the bank in the late afternoon to cancel the direct debit to prevent the payment from going through the next day. And lo and behold, the next day MORNING my internet is suspended, and they sent me an email saying you stopped the direct debit, etc. Strangely suddenly efficient if you ask me. I don't think it has anything to do with terminating the contract, I just stopped the disputed amount from getting out of my bank (because they spent 5 days doing nothing to address this problem) thus throwing my bank balance off. I hardly had any choice. In fact I had no choice at all. I thought it is perfectly within my right as a consumer to cancel a direct debit if I think the amount is not correct.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Jan-16 00:40:11
Print Post

Nothing in that reply to me is relevant. No personal information has been disclosed by them. We are not able to identify you.

It is also normal on internet forums, not just this one, for ISP reps to post a defence when bad things are being said about them.

As a point of interest, which product were you on at the old address, and is it supposed to be the same one at the new? If we know the product we know the truth. Currently you say monthly, they say 12-month minimum term. The product specification tells us.

The 12-month contract ones, with all ISPs, are in fact monthly with a 12-month minimum term.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 18-Jan-16 00:41:15)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 01:19:06
Print Post

He wasn't told that relocating the service to his new home would start a new 12 month contract. Even if the new product is different it should have been made clear to him that it would start a new contract with a 12 month minimum term.

jelv

Edited by jelv (Mon 18-Jan-16 01:27:24)

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 01:26:29
Print Post

The one I signed up was called Broadband Unlimited Premium which was a 1 month min term contract.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Jan-16 01:45:16
Print Post

Ummm. Not a current product, so can't see what it says. What can be seen is the current unlimited is a 12-month term. I also saw some oddities on their website on my main computer, but can't find them on my iPad. I'll have a look during the day.

With luck you will hear from them later today as well. They say tech support 24/7, but this isn't a tech problem.

Did you just stop the one d/d, or did you cancel it completely? If the former that helps. If the latter, ugh!

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 02:44:44
Print Post

The one I signed up was called Broadband Unlimited Premium which was a 1 month min term contract.

Have you tried wayback machine?

Do any of those match the cost that you signed up for and are you on the same product now, as the latter may be more important. Also, how did you signup as if over the phone, they should give you the terms of the product or offer to send them to you at least.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 03:31:58
Print Post

Have you tried wayback machine?

Do any of those match the cost that you signed up for and are you on the same product now, as the latter may be more important. Also, how did you signup as if over the phone, they should give you the terms of the product or offer to send them to you at least.

Matt

Yes that is the one, the first one on the menu, Broadband Unlimited PREMIUM, £21.00 a month, monthly contract, that's it.

Yes I ordered over the phone and they sent me an order confirmation email. But there was no terms included but it links to their website:

"You will receive an email from us shortly once your account has been setup. Please quote your order reference number if you wish to contact us about this order.

Please also be aware that our terms and conditions can be found at http://www.vivaciti.net/terms-and-conditions

As contracts are monthly it is advisable to check you have read and understood our terms and conditions regularly."
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 03:33:38
Print Post

From my latest bill it says "Broadband Unlimited 01/01/2016 to 31/01/2016" which means they have somehow changed it without letting me know.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 03:34:31
Print Post

As clear as dishwater then, and the terms if that copy/paste was as exactly in the email you received go no where.

404 Page Not Found

The page you requested was not found.

You should be able to argue that the terms were not forthcoming and the link provided actually has no terms but also, it states that contracts are monthly, not yearly.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 03:37:23
Print Post

Also from my first email:
"Product/Service: Broadband Unlimited Home - Broadband Unlimited Premium"

So yeah that confirms that was the one I ordered.
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 09:31:44
Print Post

Was looking at the same thing, the only thing besides line rental having a rolling 1 month contract is their "Home Allowance" package.

One of the first things I ask if I move or migrate my service is how much will it cost to do x, y or z. When they tell me I ask them to put it in an email.

plusNet did something similar to me around earlier termination charges. When I pulled them on it they agreed it was their mistake as I had everything in an email and so they fulfilled the original charges.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 10:29:09
Print Post

There are some misunderstandings in this thread that I think need to be cleared up.

Firstly, a number (possibly including me) have mentioned about migrations and the rules that migrations cannot be blocked. However, you aren't doing a migration - a migration is from one ISP to another not moving house and therefore the rules around migrations aren't relevant.

The second thing is Vivaciti don't actually do a home move service/product. What they are actually doing is cancelling your contract at the old address and starting a brand new contract at the new address. Any terms of the old contract become irrelevant and they have put you on their current product at the new address. The current product includes 12 month contract term.

So, with all of that clear and the new information since I last posted I think you have a strong case for them misleading you. They didn't tell you about charges (except for a very wobbly £8 figure). They didn't explain you were cancelling the old contract. They didn't explain you were entering into a new 12 month term contract with all new Ts&Cs.

Unless there are other communications we haven't seen Vivaciti have very poorly communicated with you and have given you incorrect expectations (especially around the charges). It is possible they were answering the question that was asked but when starting a new contract with someone they should be very clear on the terms of that contract - in this case it seems they haven't been.

EDIT : Just to add, based on this thread you look to have a strong case to take them to ADR/court. Unless Vivaciti can show where they gave you the above info then I don't believe they have a leg to stand on - very poor communication.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 18-Jan-16 10:30:34)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:10:42
Print Post

I would like to point out for the record that at no point have we blocked the OPs request to move their broadband.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:21:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Firstly, a number (possibly including me) have mentioned about migrations and the rules that migrations cannot be blocked. However, you aren't doing a migration - a migration is from one ISP to another not moving house and therefore the rules around migrations aren't relevant.

I think the OP is trying to move provider after moving house - as the moving house part and the subsequent contract is the point of contention.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:22:36
Print Post

Also, if Vivaciti insist it is a new contract the OP surely has cancellation rights?

jelv

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:53:18
Print Post

As far as I understood the OP was with Vivaciti and was staying with them. The bone of contention is the bill of over £100 for the house move (cancel of one line plus connection of a new line). As far as I can see the original issue has nothing to do with moving to a different provider. Vivaciti have cut off the new connection because the DD has been cancelled - the DD was cancelled because the OP disputed the bill.

EDIT : Actually, just thinking about the DD. I get the impression that the OP cancelled the DD because the payment was due to come out the following day? I thought DDs had to have a notice period for changes in payment and I thought it was 2 weeks - so the OP should have had 2 weeks to question the payment before it could be taken?

EDIT2 : The Direct Debit website confirms:

You should be notified in advance – normally 10 working days – of any changes to amounts to be paid or the payment dates

Edited by ian72 (Mon 18-Jan-16 12:56:57)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:55:32
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Yes I would assume so. But that would still leave them with the cancellation fee to pay. I am also not sure if they would have to pay the connection fee as well as that may be considered a service already rendered.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:56:21
Print Post

The link the OP has sent you is from an old email, not the order conformation that we sent.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:58:49
Print Post

You are posting either incorrect details or you are referring to an old email you would have received, maybe from your original order? The link to our FAQs and Terms and conditions in the email you received correctly show the correct links:
---CUT---
A list of FAQs can be found at http://www.vivaciti.net/support
Please be aware that with this order you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and these can be found at http://www.vivaciti.net/termsandconditions
---CUT---

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jan-16 13:04:09
Print Post

Do you keep recordings, for training purposes? This might help to clear up any confusion.

Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 13:24:45
Print Post

Direct Debit Guarantee

Incorrect Payments

Direct Debit Timings

So you may actually find that the direct debit was already submitted with that amount.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 13:41:29
Print Post

The order was not placed over the phone as the OP had stated it was all via email. These do refer to it being a cease of the existing service and a completely new service. And as a last fall back the order conformation email directs them to check FAQs and terms

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 14:06:52
Print Post

There is a very clear paragraph about termination and cease charges where it states £34.50+VAT.

So that makes:

£48 - Activation
£41.40 - Cease
£37.99 - WLR Basic SL (whatever this is)
£15 - Telephone number migration

Total = £142.39

I am assuming the OP took their phone number, hence the WLR Renumber charge.

What I am confused about is the WLR Basic SL charge, I am guessing it is "Supply of new Basic line - Per line when Simultaneously Provided with SMPF" which according to BT is £37.99 inc VAT.

Also the OP when asking if there were any charges did not receive a reply, that is different to being *told* there were no charges and making an assumption that there weren't due to there being no reply.

Now I can argue that Vivaciti are partly at fault for not answering the OPs questions around charges and that the OP should have pursued the cost question until they had an answer outlining the exact costs.

Migration does not mean "house move", there is a losing and winning provider i.e. a provider migration at the same property and free migration means it is free if Vivaciti are the winner provider.,

Vivaciti should have given the OP 10 days notice as per the Direct Debit Guarantee (link posted on another reply) but as it states the guarantee does not cover contract disagreements or disputes...

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 14:08:46
Print Post

The order was not placed over the phone as the OP had stated it was all via email. These do refer to it being a cease of the existing service and a completely new service. And as a last fall back the order conformation email directs them to check FAQs and terms

The link to our FAQs and Terms and conditions in the email you received correctly show the correct links:
---CUT---
A list of FAQs can be found at http://www.vivaciti.net/support
Please be aware that with this order you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and these can be found at http://www.vivaciti.net/termsandconditions
---CUT---

Your supposed "order confirmation email" does not exist in my email account, never received such an email. The only order confirmation I received was the one from 2013, and I never ordered any new product. What date was it supposedly sent? What is it titled?

I have searched my email account and I have never received this "order confirmation" email you are talking about. Not even in my spam folder. You must have mistaken me with someone else.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 14:29:30
Print Post

Nothing in that reply to me is relevant. No personal information has been disclosed by them. We are not able to identify you.

It is also normal on internet forums, not just this one, for ISP reps to post a defence when bad things are being said about them.

As a point of interest, which product were you on at the old address, and is it supposed to be the same one at the new? If we know the product we know the truth. Currently you say monthly, they say 12-month minimum term. The product specification tells us.

The 12-month contract ones, with all ISPs, are in fact monthly with a 12-month minimum term.

You can't identify him from the info posted, no.

But the site administrators here will have at least his email address. This might be in the format [email protected] This might let them find him on facebook. Bang, personal info leaked.

You might find if you google his username here, he's used it on other sites. This might lead you to his email, and then to his facebook. Bang, suddenly you've linked the info the ISP released to a real person.

You say this is fairly common for the ISPs to post like this. I disagree, usually they try to take it to PMs, or perhaps post "no comment" or perhaps post that they do not agree with the timeline of events, but cannot post things such as if the customer is in contract, etc.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 15:16:29
Print Post

I cannot get too involved with any dispute with you on here. All system generated emails that are sent to you have a copy in your client area along with your tickets etc.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 15:20:25
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

WLR Basic SL is where there is a line that is MPF and you do a line take over and convert it back to WLR (cheaper option than a brand new provide of phone line)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 15:26:22
Print Post

WLR Basic SL is where there is a line that is MPF and you do a line take over and convert it back to WLR (cheaper option than a brand new provide of phone line)

Thanks, I did figure it was something to do with an existing line, just couldn't figure exactly what smile

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 15:27:39
Print Post

The fact info on this site, if a person has access to it, is personal info is correct.

However, posting that they were in a 12 month contract that had now completed and that they are in a new 12 month contract is not personal. That information in no way allows us to connect personal info. At the very most the ICO might say they shouldn't release details on a public forum but as the OP bought it to a public forum the info released by Vivaciti in that posting is far less than the info the OP themselves released.

I suspect Vivaciti will post nothing further in this thread as the only useful information they can give is similar to what you are saying is personal - this goes back to being an issue between the OP and Vivaciti and the OP has probably had all the useful info they are going to get - especially as this looks like it is going to go to ADR or the courts unless one party of the other is willing to back down.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 15:47:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Skilty:
There is a very clear paragraph about termination and cease charges where it states £34.50+VAT.

So that makes:

£48 - Activation
£41.40 - Cease
£37.99 - WLR Basic SL (whatever this is)
£15 - Telephone number migration

Total = £142.39

I am assuming the OP took their phone number, hence the WLR Renumber charge.

Vivaciti should have given the OP 10 days notice as per the Direct Debit Guarantee (link posted on another reply) but as it states the guarantee does not cover contract disagreements or disputes...
Probably£142.39 in fees + monthly line rental and bb subs as i think it's pay in advance with vivaciti
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 15:49:52
Print Post

Yeah I was just looking at what the OP feels are the unreasonable charges. I am assuming they have no issue with Vivaciti for charging him LR and broadband.

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 16:27:17
Print Post

I cannot get too involved with any dispute with you on here. All system generated emails that are sent to you have a copy in your client area along with your tickets etc.

Just hold on a minute, I never saw this email, I insist you explain your supposed "order confirmation email", please explain, because you cannot just throw out something I don't know about and walk away pretending nothing has happened. I demand an explanation of this. Did you send it to my email address or not? Or did you just post it in your internal website that I have to log in to see? When did you send it? What is it titled? Can you explain why it isn't in my email account? Did your system fail to send the email? What do you mean by copy? Copy of what? Do you mean a copy of an email I did not receive, or do you mean a copy of something that only you can see?

Please explain to me because as I say, I never received this mysterious email, and I am really really confused right now. This mysterious email you said you sent me is totally new to me and I have no idea what this is about. If you do not wish to post it here, please send me an email instead. But please do give me an explanation on this.

I am genuinely confused at this point.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 16:35:49
Print Post

If you log into your client area (you last logged into this a couple of days ago) and look at email history, you can see all communication that has gone out to you there is an email there titled: Your ADSL order details for line number: [your telephone number]

The email is similar to the original one you received when you first signed up to us, the contest of that email you have already posted in this thread.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 16:39:11
Print Post

The way I read it is that if you log into the portal you will see what email was sent, when it was sent, the title and the content

How did you track your order for a house move when you submitted it to Vivaciti?

Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 16:51:58
Print Post

If you log into your client area (you last logged into this a couple of days ago) and look at email history, you can see all communication that has gone out to you there is an email there titled: Your ADSL order details for line number: [your telephone number]

The email is similar to the original one you received when you first signed up to us, the contest of that email you have already posted in this thread.

Can you explain why your internal logs has something that I never received?
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 16:55:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Skilty:
The way I read it is that if you log into the portal you will see what email was sent, when it was sent, the title and the content

How did you track your order for a house move when you submitted it to Vivaciti?

Via tickets on their website.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:01:48
Print Post

Is there an email area as well as the tickets?

Are there relevant tickets for this move?

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:04:57
Print Post

Hi,
As your email is not managed by us I cannot say one way or the other I am afraid.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:08:39
Print Post

Is there an email area as well as the tickets?

Are there relevant tickets for this move?

I can't find the email area, there is just the tickets area, which doesn't have the mysterious email.
Standard User Bastien
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:12:54
Print Post

Hi,
As your email is not managed by us I cannot say one way or the other I am afraid.

Wow.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:19:05
Print Post

When you are logged into your account you click on your name and this shows a drop down list of everything you can do in the client area just select the option for Email History.
If you also look under services you can see your order this also shows the details for your new broadband order at your new address.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:32:22
Print Post

Hi,

Wow.

You might want to read this regarding email and the number of ways it can fail to reach the recipient...

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:32:51
Print Post

When you are logged into your account you click on your name and this shows a drop down list of everything you can do in the client area just select the option for Email History.
If you also look under services you can see your order this also shows the details for your new broadband order at your new address.

Ok I see what you mean. No I never saw this email as it was not sent to me. I wonder why.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:40:31
Print Post

Hi,
Just for the record it was sent to you, what you are saying is you never received it.
As I said I don't know why I am afraid that only shows the emails that were sent from our system and include automated email (system generated, as in this case of a new order) and tickets you send to us and we reply to.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:43:24
Print Post

Also it doesn't say where it is sent to.

Also there is only 10 emails in your email history, the earliest one is from 27/10/2015, I can't find any older ones.

"Showing 1 to 10 of 10 entries"
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:49:17
Print Post

I feel I have wasted enough time trying to wrestle with your system.

It is just a small case of non-communication, as I never received the email.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 17:49:30
Print Post

Hoping to see vivaciti do the right thing and waiver the charges, given all of the inconvenience they have caused you by suspending your service and not making the charges clear.

I had expected the smaller ISPs to be better at this kind of thing but I guess they need to keep the pursestrings tight.

BT, Sky, Virginmedia et al would almost certainly have wavered the charges on this bill. If you had contacted them 4 days before the billing date, they would have almost certainly not cut off the connection... My experience with VM, BT and Sky is that whenever I have disputed a charge, they remove it from the following bill pending investigation, and you just pay the standard charges until the dispute is resolved. They also continue to report positively to credit reference agencies.

Also, if you tried to migrate away, they would never block it, but would then request a payment in full of the remaining contract.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 18-Jan-16 17:55:40)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jan-16 18:49:42
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Hoping to see vivaciti do the right thing and waiver the charges, given all of the inconvenience they have caused you by suspending your service and not making the charges clear.
Lol they will most probably charge for the bb to be re activated too assuming that the op chooses to stay with Vivaciti , all depends on how long they are prepared to be without internet for i suppose,

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 18-Jan-16 18:55:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Jan-16 18:50:11
Print Post

With luck you will hear from them later today as well. They say tech support 24/7, but this isn't a tech problem.

Did you just stop the one d/d, or did you cancel it completely? If the former that helps. If the latter, ugh!
Apart from what the vivaciti poster here has said, have you received anything today about the offer you made a couple of times over the weekend? And what did you do re the direct debit, as I asked?

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Mon 18-Jan-16 19:22:31
Print Post

Apart from what the vivaciti poster here has said, have you received anything today about the offer you made a couple of times over the weekend? And what did you do re the direct debit, as I asked?

I cancelled the direct debit, the whole thing, because apparently you cannot cancel one payment, when I tried to do it I was ringing the bank to stop the payment, but they just cancelled it anyway. I did not even know you can cancel single payments.

So back to today, after several exchanged emails today suddenly they sent me this:

OK, we will terminate your service and telephone line, as you have not paid for this at all and you do not believe you have to pay.

You will need to make arrangements with another supplier for the installation of a new phone line and broadband (you will not be able to re-start the line we are terminating)

Then I replied:
That is not correct, I believed I had to pay only the monthly fees, I even offered to pay the monthly fees, that was not even part of the dispute.

But will you charge me for this termination? Is there any cost involved? And what amount? Please make this clear. Are there anything, whatever item it is, that I have to pay from this point onward?

Are you waiving all the fees? Are you terminating the contract? Or are you adding more items on top of the amount?

Can you send me a confirmation of exactly what you are doing to my account and the amount I owe?

I am not sure what they mean exactly, and what my rights are in this scenario, and are they going to just send me a bill afterwards including everything plus new charges. I am hoping they can clarify.

I am guessing this is development, but I don't know if this is the good or bad kind.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jan-16 19:30:34
Print Post

This is boring and getting nowhere. just ignore them and their bills.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Jan-16 19:45:27
Print Post

So did they make offers you refused? To end up with that complete disconnection surely they must have done. Otherwise there would not have been several exchanged emails.

Emails are working now?

You said earlier that they had said they thought the line reactivation would be £8. Weren't you even willing to pay that?

Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 20:09:45
Print Post

Well if you can't use the line you are terminating then BT normally charge £130, unless you take their calls and broadband package.

Not sure about other suppliers costs. Also there is no mention of the costs already incurred for your house move. So you could end up paying for the Vivaciti install and another install by another provider.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 18-Jan-16 21:12:33
Print Post

The last thing Vivaciti will want you to do is go to his ADR as this will cost him more than what you owe even if he wins.

Sign up with another supplier, preferably one with free reconnection and assess your options as to whether any costs can be reclaimed from Vivaciti.

One thing is for sure, you ain't gonna be getting any service from Vivaciti anymore and he would be extremely foolish to be going to ADR obstructing any reconnection of your line via another supplier.

Edited by partial (Mon 18-Jan-16 21:14:49)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jan-16 09:16:34
Print Post

If anyone posts anything on the WWW then there is the possibility that information can be gleaned and details obtained.

The OP posted first so they themselves have divulged details.

You can't have it both ways.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jan-16 09:27:45
Print Post

Unfortunately this is getting silly.

Can't you call the ISP and sort it out over the phone or is the only way via a ticketing system.

Standard User tracktorman2
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-16 13:43:05
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I guess that's the best way to get around paying your bills by going to ADR.
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-16 14:51:33
Print Post

Is that still the same if there have been no payments at all for a new service? I mean if they have something new installed and then don't pay for anything can they still have access to the broadband to move it away. I thought the sale of goods (or whatever its called now) says that title does not pass to you until you pay for it
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-16 14:54:52
Print Post

[re: Tazz_uk] [link to this post]

Really? even BT put me on a new contract when I moved even though I had already finished the last contract.
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-16 15:07:22
Print Post

Why should a company waiver their charges, is this not how they make money (or as it seems here cover their costs) because someone did not read the terms or product descriptions or emails. Why is it nowadays that people seem to think they should get everything for nothing and never have to pay for things and if they make enough fuss they don't have to pay.
When you sign up to something and you are told your order is being placed as per our terms and a link to the terms and you don't read the terms and then complain they should just get waived. No wonder so many business go to the wall nowadays when people try all they can to get away with paying their bills.
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-16 15:08:33
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Sure buy things and don't pay for them, I am not sure that's great advice.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 19-Jan-16 15:10:34
Print Post

[re: tracktorman2] [link to this post]

What is your relationship to Vivaciti?
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-16 15:11:44
Print Post

Why not offer to pay some of the fees that can't be in question like their cease charge that would have been in your original terms and the £8.00 that you say they already quoted you. Maybe that would get things rolling and show good faith on both sides, just saying im not paying anything because I did not read the terms and conditions is not going to go well in your favour if this does go to court or to get your service re-activated.
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-16 15:18:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sorry, so because I don't agree with you this means I must have a link to them, WOW are only people that are in favour of the original poster allowed to post a comment?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jan-16 16:10:53
Print Post

Have you read the thread. I think that the OP has offered to pay some of the fees. Unfortunately we don't have the full story here and don't know what either side has offered to settle things (if anything). Public forums are not generally the best place to dispute things with a company and so it is very difficult to see here the wood for the trees.
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Tue 19-Jan-16 16:44:19
Print Post

If you owe them money probably yes. Always avoid signing up over the phones as you have no real record of what was said. If you do make sure they send you a copy of the agreement including T&C by email or post and also say the contract is not agreed until you have read and agreed them.

If your contract came into force after the Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into effect they have to spell out to you any charges etc . Hiding it in the fine print does no met the requiremt of the act. They must also spell out any cancelation charges
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Tue 19-Jan-16 16:46:59
Print Post

That would not meet the requirements of The Consumer Rights Act 2015 > So if the contract was taken out after the act came into force it is unlikely they could enforce these charges as they would be in breach of the act
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Tue 19-Jan-16 16:51:43
Print Post

If the Contract was taken out after the Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into force you are almost certainly in breach of it. All charges and cancellation fees etc have to be spelt out at the time the contract is made. They can no longer be made in FAQ's and T&C fine print

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 replaces the Sale of Goods and Services Act
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 19-Jan-16 17:04:47
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
If the Contract was taken out after the Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into force
Came into force in October 2015

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-thi...
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Tue 19-Jan-16 17:19:27
Print Post

I agree the public forum is not a best place to settle disputes. I am merely asking for any advice or insight into my situation in the hope that I can make better and more informed decisions.

So thank you everyone so far for all the information and advice, they are all very useful and I really appreciate them. And I would like to ask to continue a civil discussion in this thread, as we have done well so far, as I hope this thread will remain readable and perhaps useful for someone in the future who encounters a similar situation.

---
Day 5 without internet

Following yesterday's development, of them saying they are terminating the services and me asking them what do they mean precisely, today I just got two emails (both does not answer any of my questions) and I am hoping someone can provide any insight into this before I make any reply if at all:

The first one says
"I have been asked by my manager, are you a business and if so have you incurred any losses?"

This I will not disclose here as this is getting too close to disclosing sensitive information but feel free to comment.

Another one says
"In your earlier reply you said “No, let's make it clear, I read everything, all your emails, all your websites, everything.” This leads us to believe that you were aware of the terms and conditions and also all costs.

As you are unwilling to enter into any negotiation I will pass this back to my manager and while this is being looked at I am afraid I will need to pass this to our debt collection agency for formal recovery."

This email I am not sure what to think. Am I still technically disputing with them? Does this count as a deadlock letter?

Any advice at all is appreciated. I am at the end of my wits and I don't know what to think any more. What should I do next? Please advice.
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Tue 19-Jan-16 17:22:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Came into force in October 2015

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-thi...

I can say everything happened well after 1 October 2015 so the Consumer Rights Act 2015 will definitely apply, no question here.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Jan-16 17:27:30
Print Post

The same as advised by several of us earlier. Make an offer to pay something over and above the line rental and broadband charges, possibly over instalments.

At least the £8, but I don't expect that to be enough. However I would expect them to settle for less than the full original charge in view of the confusion. ISPs nearly always do.

Don't forget we are basically only hearing your side of the story plus the occasional out of context snippet of their emails and the posts they have made themselves here where they are constrained by your privacy and their own commercial confidentiality.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Jan-16 17:34:44
Print Post

That doesn't affect the previous contract, which is what incurred the cease charge. Clearly shown in the FAQs, whatever you say about the two clauses being separated. That happens in all quasi-legal documents, otherwise everything would need repeating umpteen times to cover every combination of events.
Can I move my broadband to another premises?

Broadband is attached to a physical line so you would need to request a cease for your broadband and then place an order for a new broadband service at the new premises.
To request a cease you would contact us via email or support ticket. Please remember to include the phone number the broadband is on, the address and post code and the date you wish the cease to commence.
If you wish to place a new order with us for the new premises please include the address and post code and the phone number for the new premises as well as the date we should place the order.
Termination and cease charges.

Services will generate a cease/termination charge when they are ceased or terminated. This can also apply when a service is incorrectly migrated away without the use of a migration code by the winning provider and when not following the correct migration procedure. The cease/termination charge differs from service to service. Please contact us for details of termination and cease charges on particular packages.

Broadband services have a cease charge of £34.50 + VAT.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jan-16 18:51:50
Print Post

he probably is vivaciti
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 19-Jan-16 20:06:43
Print Post

What, an ISP pretending to be just another poster? That's not very professional.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Tue 19-Jan-16 21:47:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by tracktorman2:
I guess that's the best way to get around paying your bills by going to ADR.

That's not for you or I to decide.

The ADR will decide on whether bills are being avoided by the customer or bills are being raised by the provider in an unfair way that the customer was not informed about.

The only sure thing is that the customer and the provider are already in a dispute that is highly unlikely to be resolved without ADR.

The customer needs to realise that they will now need to sign up with another provider. The provider now need to realise that sitting on the line and obstructing any other provider provisioning will be damaging to them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Jan-16 22:48:21
Print Post

It's hard to see how a provider can sit on a line when it has already said it is ceasing it.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jan-16 01:27:45
Print Post

Just had a look at way-back page, 2013 , those packages where I'm sure BE wholesale LLU SMPF Be no longer exist, So the supplier will have changed since then, but who to , TT wholesale or BT ???? Did you never get any e-mails saying that your service was changing ?

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 20-Jan-16 01:31:02)

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jan-16 07:32:09
Print Post

Have a look at Vivaciti on the Companies House website.
Company have been dissolved and the T/A company, as mentioned in the current Vivaciti T&C "ADSL for you" is not listed.....

Steve
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 20-Jan-16 07:53:50
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

VIVACITI LIMITED
07528120 - Dissolved on 22 July 2014

VIVACITI (UK) LTD
08262598 - Dissolved on 6 May 2014
ADSL For You is a trading name of Vivaciti. "Vivaciti Broadband" means Vivaciti, K Prust T/A whose address is...

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 20-Jan-16 07:56:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-Jan-16 10:10:33
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

"ADSL for you" is not a Limited Company, so wouldn't be listed.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jan-16 10:40:51
Print Post

I'm going through a similar issue currently with another provider, they wanted me to pay up 9 months service, then pay to have a new line installed at my new address and then agree to a new contract...

As the charges would end up being around the £250 mark before even starting I decided to just cease the existing service and opt for another ISP...

I currently have an outstanding bill with my old provider and so far have only paid them up to the point where the line was disconnected...

I will be offering the ISP to pay the charges which they incurred such as wholesale fee's but currently they want me to pay full price as if they where providing the service and to me that is unfair.

This all started as at the time I was planning to order there service I asked them about home moves and even what the prices would be in certain circumstances such as needing a new line or migrating lines, they told me all the costs but didn't make clear that I would have to also pay early termination charges on top of this.

I think I will be contacting the CEO with regards to this as when I've spoke to there billing/sales team about it I've just got a very rude type parrot constantly saying "you agreed to the terms" over and over again...

May I point out this is one of the smaller ISP's that is supposed to be great for customer service... this wasn't the case... hence my return to the chicken coupe "big ISP's" where I know I'll get [censored] customer service.

So my suggestion would be too email the CEO directly and explain the mis-communications and ask for the charges to be reduced or if you can pay them off in instalments and also get your service reinstated by paying them for your broadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jan-16 11:29:27
Print Post

Debt collection agency is disgusting.

I would reply along the lines of (if it was me)

"1. I was not made aware of any charges as the ISP did not detail them at any stage. Therefore it created billshock when the ISP attempted to take this amount of money. This caused me substantial distress, and despite best efforts to contact the ISP multiple times, they refused to take the charges off my next bill. This resulted in me having no option but to terminate the direct debit payment, as I simply could not afford to make this payment. Further, this payment was never agreed by me. If these charges had been made clear to me, I would have been unwilling and financially unable to accept them and would have moved ISP.

2. I signed up to a 1 month rolling contract, at no point did I receive information that this was a 12 month contract, nor did the ISP verbally or formally agree this with me, yet the ISP now claims I am locked into a 12 month contract. Customer services refuse to amend this, despite again this being their mistake.

3. If my details are passed onto a debt collection agency, which also reports negatively to a credit reference agency, this may impact my ability to get future finance such as a loan, credit card, mobile phone contract. I would seek damages related to any negative information provided to my credit report, including financial, emotional and business related damages. If I was planning an extension of my house, or buying a new car, I would make the ISP aware of this and make them aware of the negative impact they may have on my life, as a result of their negligence.

4. I would write into the ISP, using royal mail special delivery, requesting that the ISP allows me to move to an alternative provider free of charge and waivers the fees. I would make it clear that I have no option but to request this, as the ISP has emailed me, refusing to do business with me, has terminated my services entirely and has unfairly and without my agreement began a cease of my line. As such, there is no opportunity to resolve this amicably despite me trying multiple times. At this stage, the only resolution

5. Termination of the line only a few days after a disputed charge is highlighted is poor practice and frankly disgusting behaviour.

I would provide 7 days to respond, at which stage I would send a letter again recorded requesting a deadlock, detailing in basic terms what has happened.

I would continue with this, until the ISP allowed termination free of charge and until I could see a clean credit record. I would go down ADR if this did not get resolved to my satisfaction.

Meanwhile I would sign up to another ISP. Every single one will be better than this (all the major ones), so instead of being ripped off by this shambles of an organisation - get down to BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc, where they follow the rules. I would explain to the ISP I had no choice but to sign up elsewhere, as being without any internet, along with the information from the ISP that they were ceasing my line, left me no option but to go elsewhere. I would have been happy to have paid what I owed. Hence, no disconnection fees should be billed.

That would be my course of action.

Good luck. You did nothing wrong in my view.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jan-16 12:34:52
Print Post

I agree with tractorman to a certain extent.

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-16 20:35:13
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I'm going through a similar issue currently [...]
Thanks for sharing. Might I ask which company is it? Just so that I can avoid it.
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-16 20:47:34
Print Post

[...] Did you never get any e-mails saying that your service was changing ?
There were emails which notify me of changes in their technical infrastructure, but they are no mention whatsoever of changes to my plan or contract. I understand them as merely changes in my router settings.

So just for your information, there was an email from Feb 2014 which says:
Dear redacted

With reference to your current service with us, please be aware that we are making a change to our network.

There is no change to the package you are currently on and this will continue to be an unlimited package with no restrictions.

The new product name will be called LLU Unlimited

On the day of change over at some point throughout the day you will lose internet service, this down time is normaly for no more than around 20 minutes (on average it is about 5 minutes)

You will need to log into your router and change the username and password to that set below, the expected date this will happen to your service will be on 2014-02-20

Your ADSL Username is: redacted

Your ADSL Password is: redacted

The only other changes will be to your IP address as all services will have a new IP address alocated, and unfortunatly IPv6 will not work on the new network for the time being.

If you have any further questions, or if you currently have multiple routed IPs then please let us know.

And another one which says:
Dear Dear redacted,,

We are contacting you with regards to some changes we are making to our network and provision of service, this has been brought on mainly due to stability issues with our current upstream provider, with service outages becoming more frequent plus some strain on their network leading to other service issues.

As a small company it is important to us to provide the best possible service we can, we know there are larger players out there all trying to gain more business and for a smaller company it is imperative that when we see any issues that could have a detrimental effect on our customers and the service we provide. It is important we take steps to improve the situation and to maintain the high level of service that our customers expect from us, with this in mind it is our plan to make some fundamental changes to the service we provide.

With effect from the date below we will be making network changes that will cause a small drop in service (expected outage should be no more than 10 minutes) when this outage occurs you will need to log into your router and change your user name and password (also provided below) this change is only for your router login details and not for any portal or control panel.

We are aware that a change similar to this was made when the O2 Wholesale network closed down and some assurances were made that there would be no further changes, but due to the service issues we are seeing it is now with regret unavoidable.

Also as part of this change you will receive a new IP address, a single static will be delivered by default, if you require a routed range please let us know by return so that it can be arranged and you will be notified of the range in advance.

Username: redacted

Password: redacted

Date network change is due to complete is 30th June 2014

Of course if you have any questions or concerns please let us know.

That's it.
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-16 20:50:54
Print Post

[...]
Good luck. You did nothing wrong in my view.
Thanks for your detailed response. These has helped me a lot in sorting out my thinking during a stressful moment. Many thanks.
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-16 20:56:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:
[...] The customer needs to realise that they will now need to sign up with another provider. [...]

Yes unfortunately it has come to this, I guess I now have no other option.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jan-16 21:19:28
Print Post

From those E-mails it would be reasonable for any customer to assume that there would be no change in price or contract terms as far as minimum period goes , Had this been the case they should of notified you of such changes they have a duty to customers to do this,
to give you notice usually of at least 1 month in advance of any contractual or price changes, so that you don't accept these new terms you can migrate, but if you do nothing then they can deem that you accept the changes in price and or contractual terms ie contract length
From those e-mails it would appear that they failed to give you notice, and if this is the case the ADR ect will find in your favour that this 12mth min term doesn't stand

IMO Vivaciti have been somwhat unreasonable with this based on what we know, if they where wanting a 12mths commitment they should of waived or swallowed part of the activation fee, as they did also have the line rental &calls
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-16 21:27:19
Print Post

Hi all, I just got this email yesterday. I have not replied to them yet as I have sat on this for a long time, but I would really like any advice on this.

We have seem you have been copying details of these email communications in a public forum, you are asked to remove these as this is in breach of the terms of our communications as is attached to the bottom of each and every email. Failure will cause us to take immediate action through a court.

Kind regards

Vivaciti Accounts

J and V Data Services Ltd

[Address here edited away just in case]

We can provide phone lines and voice related services inc VoIP

Residential phone lines £11.40 per month inc VAT

Business phone lines from £12.50 per month + VAT

logo

Before printing, please think about the Environment.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this email in error then please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Any views or other information in this message that do not relate to our business are not authorised by us, nor does this message form part of any contract unless so stated. Employees are forbidden to make defamatory statements or infringe any legal rights through email communications. The company will not accept any liability in respect of such communication and the employee responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability arising. The company has taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or its attachments. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachment.

They only added this long disclaimer 2 days ago. It didn't exist 2 days ago and all the emails before just ended where the disclaimer now begins.

The bullying never ends. My fear is they will just keep on coming up with new and unexpected ways of bullying me every single day, and I fear for my life if this goes on.

On top of this, I also just found out I was searched on a popular social website using my name by one of their employees. Although it is just data on public site, this is unwanted attention and I feel some personal boundaries are being violated.

I would ask for any advice to how I proceed, or should I seek any professional legal advice if that is necessary. If I need to delete any previous comment posted here please let me know.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 20-Jan-16 21:58:57
Print Post

No need to delete the existing not emails you've added as the disclaimer wasn't present and the one they've added cannot be applied retrospectively.

Heaven forbid you print an email for your own records anymore!

Vivaciti are doing very little for their public image here.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jan-16 22:07:47
Print Post

Well Vivaciti are certainly in my avoid books... how can they think this is acceptable.... AFAIC your Inbox... So you can do what the hell you like with it.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jan-16 22:08:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I'm going through a similar issue currently [...]
Thanks for sharing. Might I ask which company is it? Just so that I can avoid it.

The provider mentioned is Zen Internet
Standard User partial
(experienced) Wed 20-Jan-16 22:10:54
Print Post

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

nor does this message form part of any contract unless so stated

Doesn't look like you have a contract with them as to regards receiving emails from them. Although this latest tactic is something that will probably be of interest when you go to their ADR, You need to source a new provider, then go to ADR. The Ombudsman Services may be best placed to give you advice.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-Jan-16 22:16:37
Print Post

Strange.

I received several emails from vivaciti in 2013 and 2104 all having exactly that disclaimer.

Their "reply" layout appears to be Reply first, message from me/you that it is a reply to second, disclaimer at the end. Perhaps you haven't read that far and are only seeing it now because it was a "first email", not a reply.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 20-Jan-16 22:17:28)

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-16 23:14:13
Print Post

Strange.

I received several emails from vivaciti in 2013 and 2104 all having exactly that disclaimer.

Their "reply" layout appears to be Reply first, message from me/you that it is a reply to second, disclaimer at the end. Perhaps you haven't read that far and are only seeing it now because it was a "first email", not a reply.
They only included it since two days ago into their emails to me. They even changed the font at some point.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 20-Jan-16 23:38:55
Print Post

Wow what a mess. I am mostly going to side with you here.

The issues I see are.

Misleading on charges whilst you was moving, this I suspect would have been done with fear of losing you when quoting such charges and then hoping afterwards you would accept it after the charges were raised and the house moved carried out.

Was you right to cancel the DD? If I was in your situation facing a bank charge for bounced direct debit and had contacted the isp to tell them that then yes I probably also would have cancelled the DD, I would have informed them as well tho and told them why, I would have offered to manually settle monthly bill due whilst leaving the rest in dispute, I believe you didnt do this following cancelling the DD and waited for them to inform you they noticed it was cancelled?

In regards to them blocking the migration out they are wrong here plain and simple, blocking migration is not the right way to chase payment.

If i was vivaciti given the bad PR already here and faced with that £350 fee for ADR, I would cut my losses short, they should assume this point you are a lost customer and just let you go, their priorty at this stage should be to come to terms with you on an agreement of the outstanding money owed and let the migration go through.

I think but am not sure in the case of such a blatant breach of ofcom rules you could contact ofcom directly and bypass this clear delaying tactic from telling you to wait 8+ weeks for resolution.

Failing that you had some good advice earlier in the thread, order a new line, a new BB service on that line and tell vivaciti you will chase them for the cost of that order as you were forced to do it following them blocking the migration.

As is pointed out as well by someone earlier the amount they chasing is a pittance, the stance I find baffling. If they absolutely will not budge, then order the new service and let it go to the ADR, court etc. if they really wont let that fee go. I think you can argue the moment they blocked the migration there was a breach of contract on their part, although they could argue a blocking of the DD was a breach on your part, I think the wrong way to go about this is trying to get them to turn your service back on, wont happen unless you back down on the payment.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 20-Jan-16 23:39:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-Jan-16 23:41:45
Print Post

What about in this one:-
"As contracts are monthly it is advisable to check you have read and understood our terms and conditions regularly."

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-16 23:58:38
Print Post

What about in this one:-

Nope, not in it.
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 00:18:17
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
[...] I would have offered to manually settle monthly bill due whilst leaving the rest in dispute, I believe you didnt do this following cancelling the DD and waited for them to inform you they noticed it was cancelled? [...]

Yes I cancelled my direct debit and waited until they respond. However I have already offered to pay the monthly fees several times afterwards but they were all ignored.

And to reply the rest of you comment, yes I am searching for a new service from another provider to provide my land line and broadband since Vivaciti has already said they will terminate my services.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 00:19:32
Print Post

I can genuinely say I've never known a company to behave so disgustingly. This isn't acceptable behaviour and it amounts to fearmongering,

The ISP had every opportunity to resolve this and they could have easily posted directly onto this forum with a good resolution.

Let me tell you, my Virginmedia has had high utilisation for months and has been very slow. I rang and said I wanted to raise a dispute on the payment as my services were significantly worse than I was paying for. They said fine, a day later they waived all fees for 3 months, gave me £30 credit extra and said I am free to move to another ISP whenever despite being locked in a contract.

A real test of a provider is when it goes wrong, and the ISP did everything poorly in this case. The fees should have been wavered 4 days before the direct debit was due, during that initial call. I firmly believe other providers would have resolved it within a few days, if not instantly.

All of this bullying and harassment is disgusting. For sure contact ofcom linking them to this forum as well. I would not even hesitate for the 8 weeks - get the ball rolling they're in a clear breach.
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 00:42:47
Print Post

[...]
Let me tell you, my Virginmedia has had high utilisation for months and has been very slow. I rang and said I wanted to raise a dispute on the payment as my services were significantly worse than I was paying for. They said fine, a day later they waived all fees for 3 months, gave me £30 credit extra and said I am free to move to another ISP whenever despite being locked in a contract. [...]

Thanks for your words, I am almost at the verge of going insane from all this but it is encouraging to know I am being understood at least by some people. And it seems you have had a good experience dealing with Virginmedia (although it was a dispute) so thanks for reminding me there is a brighter world out there.

I am considering the path of going to ADR and Ofcom and such but I am worried of any unpredicted repercussion I might have, so at the moment I am just trying to understand everything and so am trying to do a bit more research and building up my courage. I must stress that this has not been a very healthy experience to me and I am currently under quite a lot of stress from all this so I only want to make sure I have the energy to deal with any unforeseen consequences if I make any move, if it makes any sense.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 04:01:31
Print Post

post deleted

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Thu 21-Jan-16 04:03:53)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 04:36:44
Print Post

I would like to point out for the record that at no point have we blocked the OPs request to move their broadband.
Well, you've already told us the cutomer's contract was for 12 months and that was wrong;
Why should we believe you?

Did you change the customer's contract unilaterally? You can't do that. There's no provision for that under the terms and conditions applicable when the customer entered into the contract; http://web.archive.org/web/20120611100231/http://www...

Just because you've discontinued a particular product, it doesn't mean the terms and conditions under which the customer entered the contract change.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 05:06:41
Print Post

They only added this long disclaimer 2 days ago. It didn't exist 2 days ago and all the emails before just ended where the disclaimer now begins.
The disclaimer is likely to be legally unenforceable as it a unilateral imposition of a contract which you are only told about after you have read the contents of the letter.

It should also be noted that the Vivaciti has already breached confidentiality by posting details about your contract with them, which were wrong.

It's a bit pants, really.

I'd be very wary of any company which provides neither full contact details on its website nor the information legally required under the The Companies (Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2008. The J and V Data Services Ltd website does not comply with this law, neither does the Vivaciti website.

The Vivaciti website terms and conditions are out of date as they state;
ADSL For You is a trading name of Vivaciti. "Vivaciti Broadband" means Vivaciti, K Prust T/A whose address is 319 Sutton Road, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS2 5PF.
but clearly that's wrong as the email from Vivaciti Accounts states "J and V Data Services Ltd" as does the footer on Vivaciti's website here, dated 2016.

Go have a look at their accounts filed at Companies House. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08555127/...

Interesting.

Sarah

--

Edited by caffn8me (Thu 21-Jan-16 05:35:53)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 08:13:17
Print Post

Totally invalid! Changes to terms and conditions must be formally notified.

jelv

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 08:28:58
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti unfairly suspended my internet (story inside) *DELETED*

Post deleted by Bastien
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 08:37:01
Print Post

Good god, sorry you had to go through this, Bastien.

Vivaciti sound like the worst ISP I have ever heard of. I really do hope you're able to punish them through the courts and get some kind of compensation from them. You deserve it.

I'll be sure to link this thread to my contacts and friends so that they don't make the mistake of choosing this terrible ISP.

Good luck getting this resolved.

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png

Edited by dave2150 (Thu 21-Jan-16 08:37:27)

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 08:38:51
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti unfairly suspended my internet (story inside) *

Just to explain for the deleted post, a moment ago my log in to their website was disabled. I can now log in again.
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 08:40:23
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

Dave, thanks for your kind words.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 08:40:53
Print Post

Ofcom won't get involved but you should be going ADR.

You have put up with this for long enough - what Vivaciti should be doing is giving you a deadlock letter to say that you and they can't come to agreement so you can take them to the ADR.

According to the ISP listings on this site their ADR provider is Ombudsman Services.
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 08:57:33
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

The standard of English on the Vivaciti site is interesting.

Their site sets cookies on your system , the required compliance notice is missing.

Anyone can set up a flashy website, running a business is another matter.

I remember one ISP that was run spare time from a garden shed.

UNO FTTC : Synch : 80/20 : Grade A : Download 75.31.Mb/s : Upload 18.71 Mb/s : ping 9 ms
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:18:13
Print Post

Disclaimer: I will now discuss Vivaciti's address, I have double made sure they are of public knowledge so I am not releasing any private information. I am merely discussing what is available to public at the moment this reply is submitted, and information which should indeed be available because by law they should be a registered company and thus have to disclose their address. If you have found that I have accidentally released any private information, you need to let me know by posting in this thread or send me a forum message. I have no intention of spreading false information, as I am but a seeker of truth in a process of finding the truth, so any comment made below is merely for informational discussion only and can not be understood as anything other than a harmless and educative discussion. I will accept any dispute of any information presented in this reply and if you take it to my attention and I will do my best to amend any untruth that might have included in any of my comment, anywhere, at any time before now and in the future.

---

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
[...]
Interesting.

Thanks for pointing me to their registered address.

So I was looking for a physical address to send my physical letters to.

And now I have sufficient evidence to believe that this address is not even properly communicated to me anywhere, as it has been diluted with multiple different addresses leading to a confusing and contradicting result. They all are different from their registered Companies House records, which is: 376 London Road Hadleigh, Benfleet, Essex, SS7 2DA

This is from their latest emails: (note that it is different from the registered address, it points to a completely different post code)
[...] Kind regards
Vivaciti Accounts
J and V Data Services Ltd
2nd Floor
358 London Rd
Hadleigh
Essex, SS7 2DD

This one from an email in early 2015: (again this is different frpm the one above)
[...]
Vivaciti
358 London Road
Hadleigh
Essex, SS7 2DD
Vivaciti is a trading name of J and V Data Services Ltd

So those were from emails (the rest of their emails didn't have any information on their address).

And when I checked their website, there is this at the bottom of the front page:
2nd Floor, 358 London Rd, Hadleigh, Essex, SS7 2DD.

And then there is this in their terms and conditions page: (totally different address from the rest)
FULL TERMS & CONDITIONS

1. Definitions

ADSL For You is a trading name of Vivaciti. "Vivaciti Broadband" means Vivaciti, K Prust T/A whose address is 319 Sutton Road, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS2 5PF.

And then there is this near the bottom of their terms and conditions page: (Same as the one above)
18. Law

The Agreement shall be governed by the laws of England and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England. Our postal address for communications is: Vivaciti, 319 Sutton Road, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS2 5PF.

And there is no address information in behind the log-in part of their website.

So now I am getting a mixed message, which is the real address?

Note that their address in the Companies House record is not communicated anywhere to me.

They now all look equally unbelievable considering there are multiple of them.

So the question is, if I want to send Vivaciti (actually, what name should even I address to?) a physical letter that can be considered valid in legal terms, which one should I send to?
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:18:37
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

As is normal with most Public forum posts, the OP is only publishing some information and parts of emails, there is of course no mention by the OP of the different offers that have already been sent to him to try to resolve this issue (all of which have received no replies to) so although we did concede to the OP that there were some issues around his order and the way that a price was quoted to him but when after over a month later the order was placed he was told the plant at the new address was now showing different, he was not told that this meant what was originally quoted was now different.

We had already said after the initial investigation we would honour the line install of £8.00 that he was quoted in the first place and scrub the other phone line activation charges including the charge for him to take his number, but he did not even agree to this. We have also made other offers all of these had been either turned down flat or ignored.

Even in this day an age you cannot have something but not pay for it!

As with most things you only get to see one side and only then the part that they want to publish not everything else.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:23:40
Print Post

Do you have read receipts for the emails that you claim to have sent him or any other evidence that the emails were actually received?

jelv

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:33:02
Print Post

We can show evidence that the emails were received by your email server, read receipts are irrelevant as not all system (or mail clients for that matter) send them, you can even set your own mail client up not to send read receipts.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Edited by vivaciti (Thu 21-Jan-16 09:56:01)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:41:52
Print Post

Read receipts are not irrelevant. Getting one is proof that an email has been received and read. It's the absence of one that proves nothing.

jelv

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:42:06
Print Post

We can show evidence that the emails were received by gmail, read receipts are irrelevant as not all system (or mail clients for that matter) send them, you can even set your own mail client up not to send read receipts.
Disclose no more of my personal information in a public forum.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:43:36
Print Post

I have to ask. Do you dispute that Vivaciti have previously offered to honour the £8 charge they originally quoted to you? If they did what reason have you ignored/rejected it? Or did you not receive the email?

Edited by ian72 (Thu 21-Jan-16 09:45:07)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:43:48
Print Post

There is no personal information contained in this post.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:48:27
Print Post

And a question to yourselves - have you offered a deadlock letter to allow this to go to ADR? Is that not the correct route for disputes between customers and ISPs?
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:53:39
Print Post

Not until either no solution can be found or 8 weeks

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:54:32
Print Post

There is no personal information contained in this post.
You have clearly stated your customer has a Gmail address.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:56:34
Print Post

So have hundreds of thousands of other people but yes see your point.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:57:18
Print Post

I have to ask. Do you dispute that Vivaciti have previously offered to honour the £8 charge they originally quoted to? If they did what reason have you ignored/rejected it? Or did you not receive the email?

I have disputed the amount based on the fact that that was the sole amount I was told, and that it was a vague mention that cannot be materialise without a confirmation, and they never offered to settle with just the 8 pounds, I was offered "if you pay the cease fee for the old house (£31.12 + VAT) the disputed activation fee that we spoke about below(£8.00 + VAT) and the monthly service charge as per your bill, we can re-instate the service while we try to resolve the issue." which I rejected, based on the fact that the 31 quid was a key item under dispute. Also I find this partial waiver to be absurd, as I find that bargaining like you would do in a market dilutes the logical basis in this dispute.

However I will suggest that these offers are irrelevant now at this point since they have terminated everything.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 10:27:22
Print Post

Not until either no solution can be found

But assuming that you have now terminated the account and passed it to debt collectors would suggest it is already at this point - or is the OP mistaken about that being the current position?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 10:29:23
Print Post

Businesses are allowed to change their address, and there is no requirement that any business should be a Limited Company.

If a business is not a Limited Company it will not be registered at Companies House. That registers Limited Companies, not sole traders or partnerships. Note that "sole trader" and "partnership" are legal terms, and either can have thousands of employees. The title does not imply a single person or just two people.

The current legal status and address of vivaciti in this respect I admit is confusing. However both the domains vivaciti.net and vivaciti.com listed under Contact Us on the website are registered to the 358 address. This however may be an accountant's or similar address, not the address from which the business is run. You would still expect correspondence to there to reach the business owner.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 21-Jan-16 10:32:56)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 10:34:50
Print Post

I don't think it unusual for companies to have more than one address or to have their official accounts address be different from a normal correspondence address. And many Internet business don't really publish addresses as they use other means to communicate with their customers.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 10:47:31
Print Post

Surely that's implicit in what I posted? It's certainly the reason I mentioned accountants' and domain registration addresses.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 10:53:27
Print Post

I was agreeing not arguing - just in a somewhat shorter version wink
Standard User kamelion
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:03:31
Print Post

The £39.12 + VAT seems a fair resolution to me. Since you have been with them for 2+ years and wanted to keep them when you moved it's a fair assumption that they suited your needs. Pay this reasonable fee, save yourself the hassle of waiting for reprovision with another company and shake hands.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:11:05
Print Post

We had already said after the initial investigation we would honour the line install of £8.00 that he was quoted in the first place and scrub the other phone line activation charges including the charge for him to take his number, but he did not even agree to this.
Can you confirm that this offer was for only for a total of £8 on top of his monthly subscription and there were no other one off fees relating to either his old or new line.

jelv

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:32:43
Print Post

We had already said after the initial investigation we would honour the line install of £8.00 that he was quoted in the first place and scrub the other phone line activation charges including the charge for him to take his number

So your saying you would only charge £8 for the move and no more, meaning the bill now due is normal services charges (broadband & line rental) and this extra £8?

The OP said that the following was due:#
Broadband Activation Fee £40.00
WLR Basic SL - Trans-Conv from MPF £40.00
WLR Renumber Charge £14.95
ADSL Cease charge £31.12

However if your willing to squash all those charges into a one off £8 fee, I personally would have your hand off for it...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:34:39
Print Post

I don't think they did say that. They only commented on the costs for the new line but did not comment on the cost of terminating the old line. The OP has said that they were also asked to pay the termination of the old line in addition to what Vivaciti have listed.

However, neither side have confirmed this interpretation at this point.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:40:35
Print Post

Oh... well that's a bit naughty.... how come the customer has to pay to cease the old line if there migrating it!

Ideally Vivaciti shouldn't even be adding charges from the previous line to the new lines bill as the accounts ate theoretically separate... ceasing one account and starting another would mean a new account number....

Though that's just my opinion I suppose.

If the case is as I've typed above, I would be straight onto Ombudsman Services right away, it don't seem like Vivaciti are following the correct process
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:43:14
Print Post

Can you confirm that this offer was for only for a total of £8 on top of his monthly subscription and there were no other one off fees relating to either his old or new line.

If the ISP are sensible they'll not respond to this as you are not their customer. wink

I've been watching this topic grow, and it's upsetting to see a lot of bad information and advice being given. I spent a lot of time answering similar queries on the Consumer Action Group website, before illness took over and I'm now just a reader.

From what I've seen here there is a lot of missing information. Some that may have been edited out, some messages that the OP claims they've not had and seem this has continued as other messages from the ISP have not been seen. As both sides have verified, the OP is using a third party email service that the ISP has no access to. If this were me I would be checking spam folders and testing the address. It is a service I use myself and find it is usually reliable, hence the ISP assuming that email is being delivered, even without receipts being sent. The ISP has also pointed out that copies are kept in the OP's account pages of their website, which he still has access to.

I've seen posts that say the OP has confirmed that they have read through the entire website, which would include terms and conditions and the copy messages. If they have not read these then they have not read the entire website, but have said they have to the ISP. The ISP therefore can assume that the OP has read the messages fully, as well as the T's & C's.

I've always found that posts are edited to suit the way one party or the other wants them to read. The ISP has made a few posts, without going into detail in a public forum, that should have been of help to the OP but it seems their input has been in vain.

Those who are advising that the OP just ignore and walk away are missing a few points. The OP wanted to transfer their service to a new address, they were already a customer and a reasonably happy one at that. They did not look into the costs of transferring, which I have seen for myself on the ISP site. To assume that they could just up and go and carry on at a new address was obviously incorrect. The OP has entered into correspondence with the ISP and admitted to many things that would only serve to support their case if/when the matter is passed to a debt recovery agency.

Can I just refer everyone to a post by the ISP that should have seen an end to all this:
We had already said after the initial investigation we would honour the line install of £8.00 that he was quoted in the first place and scrub the other phone line activation charges including the charge for him to take his number, but he did not even agree to this. We have also made other offers all of these had been either turned down flat or ignored.

If the OP wants to carry on the dispute, bearing this offer in mind, they are set to lose a whole lot more than £8 (+VAT ?). They've already lost their Internet service and will now have to find another ISP and pay their installation and activation costs as well.

Regardless of the company address or trading name, a service was supplied and the OP cancelled their payment without giving fair warning. There have been issues with the actions of both sides but at least the ISP were prepared to forego the costs the OP said they were not aware of in order to resolve the matter.

My suggestion is for the OP to contact the ISP, accept that offer and move on.

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:47:35
Print Post

It isn't a migration - migrations don't exist for home moves as migration is from one ISP to another. A home move is a cease at one address and new connection at another - that is how it is for all ISPs but some ISPs cover the charges if the customer signs up to a new contract.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:53:56
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

There are some things you missed.

Firstly, the OP did ask Vivaciti the costs to move and were told it would be £8. They assumed this was the full costs and therefore didn't feel the need to look further. Vivaciti do seem to have agreed that was a mistake on their part.

There is a different between what the OP and Vivaciti have said was the offer.

The quote you give from Vivaciti suggests that the £8 + the monthly fee was all that was required. But, I think that is all that was required for the *new* line.

The OP has said they were also asked for the costs to terminate the old line (over £30 plus VAT) and that this is what they still dispute.

Vivaciti have not yet confirmed if that statement from the OP is correct or whether the offer you quoted was the complete total for old and new line costs combined.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:56:14
Print Post

It isn't a migration - migrations don't exist for home moves as migration is from one ISP to another. A home move is a cease at one address and new connection at another - that is how it is for all ISPs but some ISPs cover the charges if the customer signs up to a new contract.

Ahh fair enough, I was under the impression that if a line was active at the new address, A migration type process could be done which would cancel out cease charges...

I think its fair to say that there is too many key details missing from the thread, and this confusion may be honest with the ISP maybe not beig as clear as possible during the process of the move, however it looks to me like the ISP is working to resolve the issues and have also agreed to waive some of the charges due to the lack of transparency.

EDIT: I think Vivaciti really need to separate the charges for the new address and the old address, and get the connection at the new address reinstated ASAP, the customer needs to pay Vivaciti the £8 + there monthly charges an then they need to continue the investigation into the charges for ceasing the service at the last address separately.

Edited by mlmclaren (Thu 21-Jan-16 12:59:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 13:09:26
Print Post

The cease of broadband at the premises being left is a fact, and Openreach charge for it. The fact that any ISP then provides a service at the new address, using the same account but a new contract, (there has to be a new contract as they are for provision of service at a particular address), is nothing to do with it.

I don't see the service being restored until the OP agrees to at least what you suggest in your edit. The impression he is giving is he isn't even willing to pay the £8.

I'm also sure he had to be aware of the cease fee. His claims about the separate clauses wouldn't stand up anywhere.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-16 13:44:16
Print Post

There is a different between what the OP and Vivaciti have said was the offer.

The quote you give from Vivaciti suggests that the £8 + the monthly fee was all that was required. But, I think that is all that was required for the *new* line.

If you go back to that post, they've made the OP an offer to pay just £8 following the dispute, but he's not accepted it.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 13:52:38
Print Post

I disagree. What they posted was:

We had already said after the initial investigation we would honour the line install of £8.00 that he was quoted in the first place and scrub the other phone line activation charges including the charge for him to take his number, but he did not even agree to this.

That says they had scrubbed the other activation charges. It does not state anything about the cancelling of the old line. You are assuming those charges were dropped but a post by the OP is either talking about a different offer or it is talking about this one but also includes the fact the cancellation charge was still being levied.

We don't have confirmation either way if the offer quoted above cancels the termination charge for the old line as it only talks about fees for the new line.

EDIT : This is where the OP details what they believe was in that offer.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 21-Jan-16 13:57:39)

Standard User Bastien
(learned) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:10:33
Print Post

Let's just get this out of the way, at no point have I received an offer of "just 8 pounds" or "just 8 pounds plus the monthly fees".
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:11:59
Print Post

I guess it's how you read the various posts. As far as I could see they had honoured the original £8 quoted, and that was just this morning. If they are indeed keeping to the disconnection charge on top of that then that highlights the fact I mentioned of only giving part of the story in the posts being made by both sides.
Only the OP and the ISP can resolve this. We can speculate and quote things all day but we only have the information they choose to give us and it seems like we will never get the full picture.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:14:14
Print Post

Yours and Bastien's posts probably crossed but Bastien strongly states that the offer also required payment of the cancellation charges. Vivaciti appear to have only been talking about one area of the charges.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:23:06
Print Post

The emails were over a year old and do not refer to the current issue.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:33:31
Print Post

But we don't know if the OP has seen today's message or not, or if the ISP have chosen not to mention the cancellation charges. As I said, up to them to agree upon after all the advice, good and bad, given in this topic.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:36:16
Print Post

The OP is still coming back for further advice which is why the thread was still going. As it stands we do have different information from each party and without the parties giving us the same story it is just "he said she said" and we can only give opinions based on the conflicting info we have. Both parties consider themselves to be right and without full access to all comms on both sides we cannot judge who has the stronger position.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:36:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:
But we don't know if the OP has seen today's message or not,
Seeing as the OP posted 10 minutes ago, it's safe to assume they have.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:39:03
Print Post

What constitutes personal information?

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:40:49
Print Post

8 weeks seems a bit long. Is that an Ofcom rule?

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:45:35
Print Post

Seeing as the OP posted 10 minutes ago, it's safe to assume they have.

Part of their ongoing dispute is that the OP says they've not been getting messages from the ISP so it is quite possible they have not seen it. I wouldn't assume they've either had or read it.

Standard User Skilty
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:07:03
Print Post

It clearly states on the website under Support:

Can I move my broadband to another premises?
Broadband is attached to a physical line so you would need to request a cease for your broadband and then place an order for a new broadband service at the new premises.

To request a cease you would contact us via email or support ticket. Please remember to include the phone number the broadband is on, the address and post code and the date you wish the cease to commence.

If you wish to place a new order with us for the new premises please include the address and post code and the phone number for the new premises as well as the date we should place the order.

For the confusion around the new property Vivaciti have made the OP an offer due to the confusion around price by the looks of it.

The process to move is clearly stated in their support pages. So I do not see why Vivaciti should waive the cease fee for the old property.

Based on that it leaves the OP having to £9.60 (new property) + ADSL Cease charge £31.12 (old property) = £40.72, not sure if the cease fee includes VAT or not.

At this point the OP should actually take the offer as there is blame on both sides, the OP should actually read T&Cs and the support pages going forward, Vivaciti need to improve their comms and outline the move process and the associated costs.

Vivaciti have made a fair offer if that is the offer that has been made. It would cost more than that to have another line activated!

There does seem to be selective posting of what has been said. The OP is under less obligation to keep certain information private as he is not covered by the data protection act...

Standard User Skilty
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:11:49
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti unfairly suspended my internet (story inside) *DELETED*

Post deleted by Skilty
Standard User Skilty
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:20:32
Print Post

Ok so at no point did you read the Support pages about moving to other premises (which I take to mean residential or business). It clearly states "request a cease" and the next paragraph states "if you wish to place a new order".

Further down the support pages:

Termination and cease charges.
Services will generate a cease/termination charge when they are ceased or terminated. This can also apply when a service is incorrectly migrated away without the use of a migration code by the winning provider and when not following the correct migration procedure. The cease/termination charge differs from service to service. Please contact us for details of termination and cease charges on particular packages.

Broadband services have a cease charge of £34.50 + VAT.

At £39.12+VAT I think you have had a reasonable offer from Vivaciti. I have not mentioned the monthly fee for your broadband as my assumption is that you did a cease and re-provide so were therefore happy with their services and willing to pay it.

Standard User Skilty
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:23:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
Read receipts are not irrelevant. Getting one is proof that an email has been received and read. It's the absence of one that proves nothing.

Which is impossible if the user decides in their email client to not send read receipts. The sender will never know if an email was received will they, which was the point being made i.e. I could say I didn't receive an email all day long with it sat in my inbox and prevented the read receipt being sent.

Let's not forget that I am assuming all of these emails are ending up in the OPS client area on the Vivaciti portal...

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:25:55
Print Post

Even more interesting if you look up Vivaciti which would appear to be dissolved back in 2014, yet it's still trading in name at least
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:38:53
Print Post

I can't understand what point you are making which is different to what I said: "It's the absence of one that proves nothing.". If the email client is set not to send receipts then the sender has no way of knowing if the message got through.

jelv

Standard User Skilty
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:42:20
Print Post

I think I may have read your post differently, apologies for that.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:45:28
Print Post

I didn't see an "own domain" mentioned, and the fact that gmail was, and edited out after that was complained about but had already been quoted so all mentioning it need to edit, including me and this post.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:45:38
Print Post

But that represents only the PSTN service, they still will want both a £48.00 activation fee and a commit to a 12mth contract when the OP was on a rolling month min term, So IMO there needs to be an either or but not both offer there too,
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:51:55
Print Post

The OP has stated more than once he had read the FAQ before ordering the move, but believes it impossible to link the two clauses. Hmmpff.

To pay the cease fee plus £8 looks like a no-brainer to me. Plus request release from the new 12-month contract if he wishes to leave immediately.

If he did pay that, but stayed for a couple of months, then I would say the 12-month term should stand as continuing rather than leaving within a couple of weeks to me would constitute acceptance of the contract once the financial side was settled.

However, as far as I can see the OP has at no point accepted any advice on his best option. Only on fighting to the death not to pay anything above the rental and broadband. To the extent I believe he only came here to gather support for that.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 16:17:56
Print Post

I think his point is that he doesn't want to pay more than he was told it would cost - I can understand that point of view.

jelv

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 16:42:24
Print Post

We haven't seen the full content of the email that originally quoted the £8 - there could have been a nuance in the question/answer where Vivaciti may have been answering a question of "how much will the new line cost" and not answering the question "how much will cancelling the old line" cost. There seem to be a large number of communications now that have passed between the 2 parties and we have tiny snippets or summaries of some of them. Without seeing all correspondence I wouldn't want to call which way the ADR / courts would go with this one.

PS - I do think Vivaciti have some work to do to clear up their website and their emails to be absolutely clear on what a house move would cost. At present you do have to do a little digging to find it and it isn't clearly spelt out. I also get the feeling that Vivaciti don't do a standard new line charge and instead pass on the charges they get from BT - this is great as it appears they only charge what they get charged rather than a cover-everything flat rate but it does mean that you may not know what the actual costs will be until after the order has been done.

EDITED to add the "PS"

Edited by ian72 (Thu 21-Jan-16 16:44:38)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 18:35:10
Print Post

I don't think it unusual for companies to have more than one address or to have their official accounts address be different from a normal correspondence address. And many Internet business don't really publish addresses as they use other means to communicate with their customers.
Every limited company registered in the UK is required by law (The Companies (Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2008) to display on their website;
  1. the part of the United Kingdom in which the company is registered;
  2. the company’s registered number;
  3. the address of the company’s registered office
The Vivaciti and J and V Data Services Ltd websites fail to comply. The penalty can be up to £1000 per director and an additional £100 per day of continued non-compliance.

The same information must also be on every letterhead and email. That appears to have been ignored as well.

Sarah

--

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:10:30
Print Post

Like this one?

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:27:07
Print Post

It should be on all their sites. It's on a few, including;

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/ContactBT/

Sarah

--

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 21:21:27
Print Post

Vivaciti has had numerous trading styles over the years. This has been discussed many times on the forum. Vivaciti, sole trader, J and V data services, JV data services, International IT Services etc.

This will have no effect on any complaint to their ADR.

The key points are charges levied and whether the the customer was informed and now legal threats made because of posts on this forum.

The ADR should be able to offer advice. Now threats have been made, the ADR should possibly be able to short the 8 week tail.

Edited by partial (Thu 21-Jan-16 21:34:25)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 21:29:02
Print Post

I don't trust this guy! He is too clever to be lying. I used to be with Vivaciti at my old address and he cut me off ADSL and sent the debt collector round but I win the small claim court case that I did pay activation fee but he just cancel direct debit at my end without telling me and blocked me.

Stay away from EVIL TWIST Vivaciti
Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 21:33:30
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I don't trust this guy!

Guy? The latest vehicle could possibly belong to the previous guy's girlfriend?

Nothing wrong with that, of course.

There could be many reasonable explanations why Vivaciti's trading style has changed so many times over the years and the latest vehicle appears to have a new director.

None of which is any concern to the ADR that the OP should be going to.

Edited by partial (Thu 21-Jan-16 21:42:51)

Standard User JonDav
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 23:35:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:
There could be many reasonable explanations why Vivaciti's trading style has changed so many times over the years and the latest vehicle appears to have a new director.
Possibly a reason?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 22-Jan-16 08:03:21
Print Post

[re: JonDav] [link to this post]

History repeats itself http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/t/3036928...
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jan-16 08:57:08
Print Post

[re: JonDav] [link to this post]

You get an interesting result if you do this Google search:

site:www.thegazette.co.uk karl prust

Someone doesn't want some pages on there to be seen!

It was probably this: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-57642-2046 (found by a search on that website itself)

jelv

Edited by jelv (Fri 22-Jan-16 09:06:44)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jan-16 09:53:27
Print Post

I do feel bad for the guy, presumably there are no funds to do the right thing ie waiver fees etc.
Even the major providers e.g. Sky made no profits for years & years after they setup in 2006.
Standard User bernado
(member) Fri 22-Jan-16 10:26:30
Print Post

I do feel bad for the guy, presumably there are no funds to do the right thing ie waiver fees etc.
Even the major providers e.g. Sky made no profits for years & years after they setup in 2006.

Though in hindsight with 9,500 views of this thread and counting, that may have been the cheapest thing to do in the long term, irrespective of any perceived rights or wrongs.
Whilst I doubt forum discussions such as this would have much of an affect on the majors, small ISP niche resellers who attract nerdy forum dwellers such as myself would do well to avoid exposure like this.

Customer service is the reason many avoid the big hitters and if that is found to be not up to expectation then it's pretty much game over, for me at least

Edited by bernado (Fri 22-Jan-16 10:34:54)

Administrator seb
(founder) Fri 22-Jan-16 17:06:26
Print Post

THREAD CLOSED

We can show evidence that the emails were received by gmail, read receipts are irrelevant as not all system (or mail clients for that matter) send them, you can even set your own mail client up not to send read receipts.
Disclose no more of my personal information in a public forum.

I'm going to close this thread as it's not fair on Vivaciti not to be able to respond to allegations.

Sebastien,

Sebastien Lahtinen
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
[email protected]

personal blog - blog.seb.me.uk
twitter - @sebtweet
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to