General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-19 06:47:33
Print Post

Re: Plusnet ADSL Performance drop

[re: ec5779] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ec5779:
This was my initial suspicion too. Especially as the first few engineers who turned up were all saying how much better Fibre was.

However since then plusnet have sent 8 openreach engineers, and have even done a 'lift and shift', so its unlikely they would have put that much effort into trying to improve the service if this was a deliberate ploy to get people to shift to Fibre. I'm guessing it would be cheaper just to pay the difference between the ADSL service and the Fibre service for 12 months rather than waste all that effort on engineers.

i suppose it depends if you are playing ball or not, if plusnet thinks they will lose a customer they may decide to help you with ADSL.

i presume eventually ADSL will vanish, just like dial-up has more or less, but it will be a while and providers will try to keep custiomers even on an ADSL service.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-19 06:51:20
Print Post

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by scopio:
There "could" be some truth ISP's drop performance to get people to upgrade to fibre my exchange is not that far away from my house and I used to get nearly or even just above 17Mbps down and 0.7Mbps up for ages and now I get 16+Mbps down, which still is reasonably acceptable but the up speed keeps going down to as little as 0.4Mbps up which is disappointing!

your problem if you can call it a problem may be due to anything, congestion, cables a bit iffy, i don't that would be your provider slowing it down. If they were doing that i expect it to be reduced even more, unless they are doing it slowly.

But, I would not be surprised if some providers did not slow it down. I wish I could get 17Mb/s on ADSL or 16, I would think about going back if it was cheaper.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-19 08:39:51
Print Post

[re: ec5779] [link to this post]

If the problem is between the cabinet and you, switching to FTTC may be affected in just the same way and result in more engineers investigating speeds below expectation.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Tue 09-Jul-19 13:43:26
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

The risk is real and I have personally seen a Linksys ADSL router with WiFi get compromised over the internet with no available firmware updates. I would say the Billion most likely suffers from this flaw

https://blog.netlab.360.com/bcmpupnp_hunter-a-100k-b...

Billion devices are on the list and the flaw dates back to 2013 so who knows. There will almost certainly be a bunch of other flaws especially in it's WiFi implementation.

I have also seen a TalkTalk supplied router get compromised most likely again over the internet. Finally I have also seen a Billion WiFi access point get hacked. That said most people would likely not have been aware of either compromise as they where quite subtle in their effects. In all three cases the hardware was perfectly functional, just no updates where available. I have no more data because the hacked TalkTalk router was the last straw and everything was replaced across the family by that time with stuff that is still supported even four years later. Applied an update last weekend, and I am expecting an update for the Edgerouter any day now for a potential denial of service attack.

A Vigor 120 v2 ADSL modem, an Edgerouter X-SFP and a UniFi AC-lite is less than a years internet subscription and all under maintenance and likely under maintenance for many years to come. If you upgrade your internet connection you can just swap out the Vigor 120 for something that supports your new internet connection say a Vigor 130 for VDSL etc. You would need a rather expensive internet connection (better than a 330/50 FTTP to cause problems for the Edgerouter).

Cheaper would be a Vigor 120 v2 ADSL of eBay for £15 and a Mikrotik RouterBoard hAP AC Lite, probably £75 all in and again likely to be supported for many years to come. Heck if you are happy with the WiFi from a BIllion 8800NL then a MikroTik RouterBoard hAP Lite with a Vigor 120 would do the trick for under £40.

The point is devices with long term support are cheap, so why take the risk? That said most ISP will send you a new device out every couple of years for the postage which is better than something that is ancient though not exactly environmentally friendly. I also feel that simply applying updates is a lot less hassle than configuring replacement kit.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:19:58
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Thanks for that comprehensive explanation. As the final link in constructing a risk profile how big is the dataset of routers from which you draw your three examples?
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-19 12:35:23
Print Post

Don't worry about it. If people had issues with modem/routers then this forum would be overrun.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Wed 10-Jul-19 23:16:40
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Until we have some idea of the scale of the problem, "Don't worry about it" offers as much confidence as the original statements implying we are all doomed. I can't help but be worried until we find out whether the sample of 3 compromised modem/routers is from a dataset of 10 (in which case I would be very worried) or a dataset of several miilion (in which case I might be prepared to accept the stated risks).

After all, the doomsday scenario in this topic is also caveated with information that the router/modem may appear to be working correctly and normally so there is doubt about whether such scenarios would be recognised by users and then reported.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Jul-19 09:30:00
Print Post

I don't think you'll find much in the way of solid stats available. There are some scare stories that appear in the press for time to time but little in the way of solid data around router hacks. I have seen more hacks of home CCTV cameras, TVs and printers than I have of routers directly - that doesn't mean they haven't happened but that whatever the hack may have been people haven't noticed.

If you are really worried then you will probably have to carry out your own research (ie via Google) and deciding based on that what level of risk you are willing to take.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 11-Jul-19 11:02:15
Print Post

From my personal experience it represents a very high percentage of models that where being used in my family. We now use a mixture of Draytek, Ubiquiti and custom Linux boxes. I am not saying they are perfect, but at least they still get updates when there are security issues, so I have the option of securing them unlike your standard consumer grade stuff where a few years after release the vendor stops providing updates and you are SOL. I think the only one that was not hacked was the Technicolor TG582n from PlusNet. It was in for about ~4 years at my sisters though the WiFi was never very good and it was replaced with a Draytek setup. As far as I can tell they never upgraded the firmware.

It sort of depends how long you keep the router, with the longer it is kept the more likely it is to have security problems. The Linksys router was ~8 years old I think when it was hacked. I am not sure how old the TalkTalk one was, probably the same age.

If you don't mind replacing them every few years then it is likely not a problem. I one don't like doing that, and generally all in one devices no longer cut it for WiFi coverage for my family so we have upgraded to far more robust solutions. Further as it is generally me sorting out the family's IT problems if they want to go against my advice they are free to do so but I won't support them. Having problems with your WiFi coverage using ISP provided router, I am not interested... On the other hand if it's my recommend solution then expect comprehensive support getting it fixed. Oh and I will also make sure the firmware is up to date for you.
Standard User gary333
(regular) Thu 11-Jul-19 16:07:27
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

What do you mean by hacked, what exactly did they do / effects seen?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to