General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Jul-19 18:04:57
Print Post

Re: Plusnet ADSL Performance drop

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Keep all devices updated, firewalled and antivirused and what is there no worry about?

It's being hooked by dodgy calls from 'their bank', police etc and emails from HRMC, TV licencing, etc that people need to be worried about!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Jul-19 18:54:31
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Keep all devices updated, firewalled and antivirused and what is there no worry about?

It's being hooked by dodgy calls from 'their bank', police etc and emails from HRMC, TV licencing, etc that people need to be worried about!

+1

The biggest virus out there isn't hardware or software based. Its called human stupidity negligence, such as running an unsecured wifi network or clicking on dodgy email links promising £££s in exchange for your bank login details. Education is the key smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 11-Jul-19 23:25:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Keep all devices updated, . . .

That's the whole point of the current off-topic discussion. If you are using hardware which no longer gets firmware updates from the manufacturer to connect to the outside world we all know you are at risk. What is the actual level of risk and what are the potential downsides? Then we will have an indication of how seriously we should be worrying.

So far the off-topic discussion has generated lots of waffle including advice from "It'll be alright on the night" to "We're all doomed". It is very difficult for the average user to make sense of this as the advice has been often purveyed by people whose other postings indicate that they are more knowledgeable than most on matters technological. In which of these experts should I and many others place our trust?

Edited by GonePostal (Thu 11-Jul-19 23:31:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Jul-19 00:30:11
Print Post

As has been said, if ISP-issued routers were a security problem that would have spawned many threads over the years even before FTTC was introduced.

It isn't even a storm in a teacup. More like a single drip of water from a tap once every twenty-three days two hours 14 minutes 18 seconds into a washing-up bowl of water, and panicking over it over-flowing into the sink and out through the open drain hole before being emptied anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Jul-19 12:04:14
Print Post

Ok!. I had a modem/router for 6 years that had never been updated. I had NO ISSUES with hackers.

Is that plain enough?

(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 13:24:03
Print Post

"Until we have some idea of the scale of the problem,"

These forums would be crammed with users if their networks were being hacked.

No need to PM me. Just be open!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Jul-19 13:49:50
Print Post

He PM'ed me too on Friday, with quite unacceptable content. I replied reprimanding him for it and got a nonsensical reply.

My threat in my reply to that after waiting a couple of days, that I would be reporting misuse of the PM system if he didn't pack it in, I hope has worked.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Tue 16-Jul-19 15:45:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Here is the full and unedited text of the nonsensical reply. I'll let others make their judgement.

"In regard to the Forum postings, I think you are confusing hot under the collar with mickey-taking.

Apologies if you took the PM the wrong way. Calm down was meant entirely humorously and not as an insult. "

Edited by GonePostal (Tue 16-Jul-19 15:46:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Jul-19 17:36:30
Print Post

I'm afraid that playing dirty by posting an out of context part of a PM conversation just makes you look worse in my eyes.

You may not be aware that although the site owners and staff do not routinely examine PMs, they do have the ability so to do if a complaint is received about PMs received from someone.

In the light of this continuing unacceptable behaviour I'm tempted to make an official complaint which could cause that happen. However I'm not tempted to post here any contents of the exchange of PMs.

Having said that, I am certain that your opening one would give rise to universal disapproval. You have two posters here complaining about your PMs to them. Doesn't that suggest to you that you are doing something wrong?

As for the horse you are flogging in this forum, it is so dead it makes John Cleese's parrot look like a noisy chick.

Your best course of action would be for you to delete the post I'm replying to. Then I could delete this one. You have until 03:45:50 to do that wink, but that would be hours too late for me to remove this one.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 16-Jul-19 17:37:20)

Standard User GonePostal
(member) Tue 16-Jul-19 23:12:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Go away and try and bully someone who is frightened of you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to