General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nicoprz
(newbie) Wed 16-Oct-19 21:40:05
Print Post

Sky cancelling account then charging me more to get a new on

[link to this post]

My broadband account with Sky was randomly cancelled, which I found out via email saying "sorry to see you leave".

I was 6 months into an 18 month contract. After contacting Sky they told me it was due to a technical fault and my only course of action was to reapply for a new contract as a new customer. This will take 14 days to activate, also they will need 3 more working days to fix issues with my line. Until they cancelled, my internet was working fine.
I told them this was ridiculous and I would like compensation, after 3 days and about 4 hours spent on the phone to them they've told me the best they can offer is £44 compensation (which equates to 2 months payment on my old plan), however they are unable to expedite the process and I will need to wait 14 days to have internet in my home again. The catch is the best offer I can get is £5 more a month than my old deal for a similar service but 'my old service no longer exists and has a new name'.

If I work this out over the 12 months, it will cost me £60 extra, so minus the compensation amount I'm out of pocket £16, and have had no internet for 3 weeks as part of this, while spending a ridiculous amount of time on the phone to their call centre. Also I'm likely to incur extra cost from my mobile contract provider as I'll be tethering those two weeks.

Feels like I'm being scammed and I'm wondering if there's a chance I can take it further with them, or an independent body, or am I just wasting my time trying to do either. I want this resolved quickly as possible however I'm worries that if I accept their offer this is closed and I'm just losing out.

Thanks in advance for any help and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the situation
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Oct-19 09:38:39
Print Post

Re: Sky cancelling account then charging me more to get a ne

[re: Nicoprz] [link to this post]

If the cancellation was purely a Sky mistake then you should NOT be out of pocket at all.

The new service name is probably just a name change and underlying actual physical connection will be the same, i.e. its just a name change.

Sky is trying to push its new single sales speed service, but for a good number of people there is no change in actual speeds, also some people will have been happy with the price and speed of the previous service tier.

You can take it to the adjudicator scheme and next time you talk to Sky make it clear in a polite way that you are not happy and you want the contact details of their adjudicator scheme.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mking90031
(regular) Thu 17-Oct-19 10:44:47
Print Post

Hi,

Maybe it's time for you to shop around and see if there's anyone cheaper?

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 541.32Mb/sec Down & 37.37Mb/sec Up (according to Speedtest.net W7 App)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 17-Oct-19 12:29:44
Print Post

Before you can go to an adjudicator to make a judgement you first need to ask Sky for a 'Deadlock Letter'. My personal opinion is that you have an extremely good case as once the error was detected Sky should have reverted you back.

Edited by dect (Thu 17-Oct-19 12:58:31)

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 18-Oct-19 01:05:07
Print Post

Happened to a friend of mine. Someone fell out with her and decided to play silly beggers. They called Sky and cancelled her account, saying she was going elsewhere. At the time she was out of the country so didn't see any messages or letters on the lines of 'sorry you're leaving'. She got back home and found she had no Internet. Sky told her should would have to sign up again, she refused and lodged a complaint instead. It took three months of arguing, including writing to the CEO, but eventually she got her service back, on the same account and rate she had had previously.
In your case they claim a technical fault, in which case they should put you back as you were and give compensation for their error.
Send an email, detailing the issue, to [email protected]
OK, so this email address is their exec office, not the chief exec himself,m but they should be able to investigate and sort it out for you.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User mrmarktigger
(regular) Fri 18-Oct-19 07:07:13
Print Post

This happened to me too with Plusnet, only one week into the contract.

Both BT Openreach and Plusnet were at fault in my case.

I had a new line installed and the BT Openreach installer said I had a fault on the line and they would re-visit the following day to fix it. The following day another BT Openreach man visited, fixed the fault, checked my line and said "All was fixed and well now."

Sadly he did not change fault status to fixed on their system.
It also turns out, that they had informed Plusnet of the fault on the new line on day one and this meant Plusnet had 7 days to take action, i.e. arrange a BT Openreach visit to fix the fault on the line. Plusnet failed to take any action within 7 days which then meant that BT Openreach terminated their contract on my line, with Plusnet.
Just like you, I received an email saying "Sorry to see you leave. However you are welcome to sign up again with us again."
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Fri 18-Oct-19 12:37:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If Sky cancelled the contract without good cause (aka they made a mistake) then they are in breach of contract and need to reinstate the contract as it was not legally terminated.

I would note that a company failing to take payment due to an error on their behalf (say messed up IT system) does not count as failure of you to pay and they cannot cancel the contract for none payment. Otherwise any firm could get out a contract by deliberately failing to take payment and then cancelling the contract.
  Print Thread

Jump to