General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Feb-20 12:14:52
Print Post

Re: Plusnet/Origin Slammed me!

[re: mrmarktigger] [link to this post]

"It's basically the same as what my neighbour went through"

But it isn't the same, that's the whole point. It's a completely different issue.

No need to comment further just take it on board.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Feb-20 12:24:05
Print Post

Re: Plusnet/Origin Slammed me!

[re: bounderboy] [link to this post]

When PlusNet said slammed they probably meant that another customer slammed you by placing an order - and as has been said that wouldn't have succeeded if your ISP had sent you the notification.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Feb-20 12:25:07
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Slammed me!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know the OP didn't receive the letter or other notification but the fact that the supposed person that ordered the line could not be contacted then there, in my opinion, should be an additional process to sort similar issues out in a more timely manner.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bounderboy
(learned) Mon 17-Feb-20 14:50:38
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I know the OP didn't receive the letter or other notification but the fact that the supposed person that ordered the line could not be contacted then there, in my opinion, should be an additional process to sort similar issues out in a more timely manner.

Completely agree. I think there is process already that means Plusnet shouldn't even place the order unless they are sure that the order is real. They do have to prove that they acted properly with the order and have proof that the order was made correctly.

I just smell something fishy that this order wasn't real at all but have no proof - I don't think it was malicious to me personally... but something feels odd.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Feb-20 15:54:29
Print Post

but something feels odd
What is odd and most likely the cause of the problem is a nearby new company that doesn't know its correct address given that the company has registered its address as that of the OP.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Feb-20 17:16:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by bounderboy:
Completely agree. I think there is process already that means Plusnet shouldn't even place the order unless they are sure that the order is real. They do have to prove that they acted properly with the order and have proof that the order was made correctly.

I just smell something fishy that this order wasn't real at all but have no proof - I don't think it was malicious to me personally... but something feels odd.

And just how are they supposed to know the order is not real?
Someone places a order with the wrong details.
A, how are a isp to know
B, they are acting in good faith on the details they have been given. I would think that if address & phone no did not match the Openreach system would flag a error. As they would hold the correct details.
C. A system is in place to stop this issue. Sadly the OP's isp messed up. that is the whole problem and the cause of the whole mess.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User alexatkin
(member) Mon 17-Feb-20 17:41:14
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
In reply to a post by bounderboy:

And just how are they supposed to know the order is not real?
Someone places a order with the wrong details.
A, how are a isp to know
B, they are acting in good faith on the details they have been given. I would think that if address & phone no did not match the Openreach system would flag a error. As they would hold the correct details.
C. A system is in place to stop this issue. Sadly the OP's isp messed up. that is the whole problem and the cause of the whole mess.

What puzzles me about all this is, why is an ISP able to takeover a phone line by address alone?

Surely if an existing contract exists for the phone line at an address, you should need to provide the telephone number as confirmation that you want to transfer the line? Without it, the order should be a new-line order or require a response from the customer to proceed, rather than it being "if we hear nothing we assume its correct".

I think Ofcom have made it WAY too easy to migrate. Sadly this is the way with a lot of things these days where a physical signature is no longer required to enter into/change a contract.
Standard User 69bertie
(member) Mon 17-Feb-20 20:25:59
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
What puzzles me about all this is, why is an ISP able to takeover a phone line by address alone?

Surely if an existing contract exists for the phone line at an address, you should need to provide the telephone number as confirmation that you want to transfer the line? Without it, the order should be a new-line order or require a response from the customer to proceed, rather than it being "if we hear nothing we assume its correct".

I think Ofcom have made it WAY too easy to migrate. Sadly this is the way with a lot of things these days where a physical signature is no longer required to enter into/change a contract.

I'd agree but I would have expected not only the telephone line number but the contracted person to be named.

As to making it way too easy to migrate, I have to disagree. I have recently moved from Plusnet to another ISP. I got letters in the post from both of them. One telling me 'welcome'. The other from PN 'sorry to hear you are leaving'. So the system does work IF the ISP's systems are set up right.

And yes, it was very easy to migrate and I am glad Ofcom finally did something about making it so - same with mobile phones as well. No messing around with waiting on phone lines and then listening to a load of waffle. I just filled in the form with my new ISP and I might add, as part of the sign up I had to supply the telephone number as well as the address. The safeguards are already there. But alas not totally fool proof.

Edited by 69bertie (Mon 17-Feb-20 20:36:37)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-20 00:25:34
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:

It has to be done this way for certain orders. For fully unbundled suppliers like Sky, Talk Talk and partners, Openreach don't know the number assigned to a line; or for where someone has moved/passed away and the old line left active. It may also be impractical to get another one installed, especially if another copper run is required or there is no capacity at the cabinet.

As Openreach don't manage numbering for some networks, there is no reason they should share it (or would) as the only thing important is the circuit reference. I don't see those customers ringing their supplier to get this to then give to the new provider to request it.

This will change when numbers are a thing of the past (attached to the line) so it is likely all circuits will be migrated without a number, because, the line won't have one.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Feb-20 09:43:29
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Surely each physical line has an idenitification number? How do you tell which one is which otherwise?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to