General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bounderboy
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-20 17:28:19
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Slammed me!

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
I used the word slammed as that was the terminology used by Origin. Apologies if it was bit hyperbolic.
If anyone should be apologising it should be Origin as your problem is totally down to their failings. PlusNet and yourself are the innocent parties here. Unfortunately Data Protection laws are what are preventing PlusNet telling you who initiated the change, someone who could well be an immediate neighbour.

Quick update Plusnet haven't called back yet... however Origin Complaints have called back to tell me next steps..

They have put in an 'emergency order' which should hopefully mean, if Plusnet agree that the line can be reinstated much quicker - how much quicker i don't know.. They promised to ring me again tomorrow ASAP when they have another update which I hope they do as I like attentiveness.

I will lose my number though - which I am not bothered about really as don't use it..

Thanks all for listening.
Standard User mikel543
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-20 18:29:21
Print Post

[re: bounderboy] [link to this post]

Sounds like Origin ordered a new service, rather than a working line takeover which gets round the 10 working day wait. Once your service is live, origin should be able to raise a line renumber order to get your original number back. I know you're not that bothered about your old number, but thought I would mention it in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.
Standard User bounderboy
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-20 22:49:43
Print Post

[re: mikel543] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikel543:
Sounds like Origin ordered a new service, rather than a working line takeover which gets round the 10 working day wait. Once your service is live, origin should be able to raise a line renumber order to get your original number back. I know you're not that bothered about your old number, but thought I would mention it in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

Yes you are right they did say we can reinstate number once things are sorted.

Plusnet rang back as they promised and said that they are still trying to contact customer to check their details (I assume to check its not me playing silly [censored]) they can see that Origin have initiated the take back and assuming that everything checks out they will be able to ok it..

Just a little bit of extra information I do have working telephone and new number which is I assume through plusnet - luck I am not nefarious otherwise I could be making some calls to my sister in Australia foc smile

Plusnet seemed confident assuming no hiccups I might be up and running quite soon - however phone would be first before broadband - so fingers crossed! Thanks all

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bounderboy
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-20 15:53:15
Print Post

Re: Plusnet/Origin Slammed me!

Well update:

Plusnet - looking into this still but need the new customer to confirm I am not telling porkies - but they can't get hold of them at all and keep trying.. They have an escalated team on it. To be fair they have been quite responsive if not productive as yet.

Origin: Rang me with update but couldn't take call. I have rang back but they don't know who rang me or what the update was.

Ofcom: I contacted them as when I saw the word "slammed" and heard how long the reinstatement was going to take I wanted to call the cavalry earlier..

I will post the email below it's quite long - what i find interesting is they seem to be concerned how I knew it was Plusnet as much as anything else...

Thank you for contacting Ofcom regarding your complaint.

I understand from your correspondence that your internet stopped working, so you contacted your provider who advised you that PlusNet had ceased your line. You mentioned that you have not arranged for PlusNet or any other provider to take over the line. I appreciate your concern and I hope the information provided is helpful.

If an order is placed for a line without the customers permission, or a transfer to another provider goes ahead, this is what is known in the industry as slamming. Slamming is a serious form of mis-selling. We are firmly committed to preventing the mis-selling of phone and broadband services, particularly slamming and have rules in place to give greater protection for consumers by enabling us to take swift and effective action against offending companies. If we identify evidence to suggest that a service provider is in breach of these regulations, we may investigate and take action that we deem to be appropriate.

As a safeguarding measure to prevent slamming from occurring, service providers must send notification to consumers to inform them that an order has placed an order for the service, and this is known as a sorry to see you go letter. A letter should also be sent addressed to the occupant of the property from the new provider informing them that the line has been requested.

Although you mentioned that PlusNet disconnected the service, it is unclear how Origin Broadband obtained this information. To find out for certain exactly what has occurred with your line and if any order has been placed, I have requested further information from Openreach. Openreach is the independent organisation which maintains the BT network. They have an accurate record of which company is providing service on a particular phone line at any time, and if an order was placed for your line, they should have a record of it. I should explain that Openreach can only if the phone line has been taken over, we cannot obtain information on the broadband only; however, we usually find that providers tend to take over both services simultaneously.

The information we receive from Openreach assists us in formally recording the complaint against the correct provider. If you wish to find out the findings of this report, please call us after four working days for the results quoting the reference number at the top of this email and we will be able to advise you of the next steps. We can be contacted on 020 7981 3040 or 0300 123 3333 Monday Friday excluding bank holidays from 9am 5pm. Once we have the information from Openreach, we will be able to advise you of the next steps.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Ofcom. While our remit does not allow us to become involved in individual cases, the information we collate from consumers is monitored and if we identify evidence that a service provider is in breach of our regulations, we may investigate and take any action that we deem appropriate.

I hope the information provided has been useful.

All very weird and interesting - more interesting if it wasn't me caught in the middle..
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Feb-20 16:57:10
Print Post

AIUI Ofcom are right to wonder how you know it is Plusnet that have taken over the line, as Origin shouldn't have any way of knowing.

I can think how I would check, but how did you?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User bounderboy
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-20 17:07:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
AIUI Ofcom are right to wonder how you know it is Plusnet that have taken over the line, as Origin shouldn't have any way of knowing.

I can think how I would check, but how did you?

Origin told me straightaway it was Plusnet and I confirmed it with Plusnet directly as they could see an order on the line - but couldn't tell me anymore of course. 'Perhaps someone on the street that has moved in recently was only hint given..' So intriguing how Origin new... I am kind of glad as I have managed to corale from both sides by knowing it is Plusnet..

How could one find out?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Feb-20 17:11:48
Print Post

Did PlusNet send you a router through the post? Have you checked with PlusNet whether they have the right address for service? Neither of these should necessarily point to anything but it would be interesting if the person was legitimate and ordered a router then where did it go?

Also interesting is that Ofcom think that both PlusNet and Origin should have sent you letters. I didn't know that was the case I thought it was just the losing provider. If it is the case then where did the letter PlusNet sent go (or did they miss that part of the process as well in which case both providers failed to follow Ofcom's rules)?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Feb-20 17:19:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

The losing provider will see the gaining RID of the company that has placed the order as well as the cease order type. Each RID is unique to any comms supplier placing the order which is how they would have known.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 17:38:19
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
I used the word slammed as that was the terminology used by Origin. Apologies if it was bit hyperbolic.
If anyone should be apologising it should be Origin as your problem is totally down to their failings. PlusNet and yourself are the innocent parties here. Unfortunately Data Protection laws are what are preventing PlusNet telling you who initiated the change, someone who could well be an immediate neighbour.

I don't believe that is the case. I would firstly note that it is your line not the person trying to take it over, and you are entitled under data protection to all information any party holds about you. Under GDPR your phone number would be considered personal identifying information. So PlusNet need to hand it over, and the party that gave them the wrong information only has themselves to blame if they don't like it.

I would further note that failure to correct wrong information is an offence, and it would appear that PlusNet are refusing to correct the wrong information until they have got approval from a random third party. If they are going down the data protection route they don't get to pick and choose which bits they are choosing to apply.

Then while it was presumably a mistake, it is also potentially an offence under the Fraud Act 2006. That is they made a false representation that was untrue, that they knew or should have know to be untrue that exposed another to a risk of loss. You could be running a business on the line for all PlusNet know. I would threaten if they won't tell you who has committed fraud by dishonestly trying to take over your line that you will report it the police smile
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 17:43:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
PlusNet did their job.

Nope, they lied about data protection issues. That is they refused point blank as required to disclose all the information they had about someone (it's their line) and then refused to correct the wrong information that they had once informed it was wrong.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to