General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 15-Mar-20 14:14:20
Print Post

Contracts with BT

[link to this post]

Currently there is a TV advert extolling me to switch to BT for "their best ever deal". It clearly states that it is subjected to a two year contract. However it makes no mention of what actually happens at the end of the 24 hour contract. Would someone please enlighten me?
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 15-Mar-20 14:40:31
Print Post

Re: Contracts with BT

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Currently there is a TV advert extolling me to switch to BT for "their best ever deal". It clearly states that it is subjected to a two year contract. However it makes no mention of what actually happens at the end of the 24 hour contract. Would someone please enlighten me?

There is a typo in my message; the word 'hour' should be 'months'. So sorry about that.
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Mar-20 14:56:17
Print Post

The price - if you do nothing - goes back to their standard price for that service. Of course a bit before the 2 years you talk to them to negotiate a new deal. It works for me.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Mar-20 16:48:35
Print Post

You can edit posts for up to six hours after posting. The "strike" markup also works, to show what you've altered, if you wish to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Mar-20 15:55:42
Print Post

What happens at the end of any contract?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 16-Mar-20 16:15:58
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
What happens at the end of any contract?

Your message appears to be incomplete.
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Mar-20 12:38:42
Print Post

?

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-20 13:10:57
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
?

I asked a question here but have only received one sensible response. Why are you adding to daft responses?
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-20 14:05:48
Print Post

See cheshireman above. I think ISPs must now inform customers when their contract is ending. Before it does, get a few prices from other ISPs, call the retentions team and tell them that you're off unless they can match it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Mar-20 15:04:15
Print Post

Re: Contracts with BT *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-20 15:56:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Mar-20 16:00:39
Print Post

"When cancelling such lines in favour of alternatives I have found in each case you were rolled over into another 24 month contract with no notification that had happened and therefore lumbered with early termination fees."

This does not make sense to me. If you are cancelling a line, then ANY retailer cannot roll you over into another contract be it 1 day, or 24 months. You have asked for cancellation of a service surely?

Being an exchange only line is irrelevant. being a lift alarm line means they may be other issues around other contracts on the line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Mar-20 16:54:19
Print Post

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 17-Mar-20 16:54:55)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Tue 17-Mar-20 18:34:05
Print Post

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Tue 17-Mar-20 18:37:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Mar-20 19:58:20
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Mar-20 20:18:20
Print Post

There is never a good time for people want to play games online with others

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-20 20:52:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
"When cancelling such lines in favour of alternatives I have found in each case you were rolled over into another 24 month contract with no notification that had happened and therefore lumbered with early termination fees."

This does not make sense to me. If you are cancelling a line, then ANY retailer cannot roll you over into another contract be it 1 day, or 24 months. You have asked for cancellation of a service surely?

Being an exchange only line is irrelevant. being a lift alarm line means they may be other issues around other contracts on the line.

Poor explanation on my part.

Over a 10 year period, unbeknown to us at the end of each two year period, without any intervention by us, we subsequently discovered we were rolled over each time into a new 24 month contract. How was that possible? When we decided to switch to a mobile network provider, thinking we were well out of contract terms, we were landed with early termination charges on cancelling the BT service. Strangely enough it was just for critical care which had never been asked for. It has been impossible to talk to be BT about this matter because of DPA, as were deemed not to be the 'owner' of the line, the later bankrupt builder ordered and installed the service for the lifts and door entry systems.

My OP was purely to get a feeling how, at the end of a contract, what actually happens. My belief was that not being a migration, some sort of termination fee might apply, or a notice period required. Google found nothing on that subject.

We are specifically talking about apartments that were formerly managed by agents which are now self managed and therefore we now have sight of every bill received for "Landlord" services.

Yes indeed a lift entrapment call facility is a mandatory requirement, but issues you allude to do not apply here.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Mar-20 21:23:23
Print Post

What normally happens for broadband and/or phone service is that at end of a minimum term you enter a 30 day rolling contract.

Auto renewing was banned in 2011 https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/me...

So it is normally not that the contract ends but that the minimum term ends.

So you were paying for something that BT says you were not the owner of? Then easy way out stop paying.

So while things are a bit clearer its not fully clear as to how BT Business has been auto renewing for 24 months, a landline contract when this was banned in 2011.

(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Mar-20 12:56:28
Print Post

The ? was to signify "what" to your response. You eventually expanded on your op and we now understand.

Surely your contract explains what happens during and after the contract ends.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Mar-20 16:59:55
Print Post

Was the telephone service part of the lift alarm service? If so was it the lift alarm service that is auto renewing and as part of that they renew the telephone service on your behalf?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to