General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-20 20:07:05
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband - Evening Speed Issues

[re: bounderboy] [link to this post]

And here we go slowdown begins...

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

Netflix not running well either see photo link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3dSmAY7pqvFonr1L9

Edited by bounderboy (Tue 21-Apr-20 22:07:53)

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-20 21:47:53
Print Post

Well the single threaded download hasn't changed in the last two years then but they have improved the multi-thread!

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4583960...
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-20 22:05:22
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Well the single threaded download hasn't changed in the last two years then but they have improved the multi-thread!

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4583960...

Yes does appear you had a similar problem... what did this post mean? https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4584119...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-20 22:24:04
Print Post

My Broadband Speed Test

On way back up now... TV becoming watchable... not asking for much to have this as a minimum all day!
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-20 23:26:04
Print Post

I'm guessing that somewhere in the background Origin connected us to a different backhaul just before that was posted. IIRC we didn't notice any break in the connection but our streaming was nil in those days (and is pretty much at the same level now!) so we might never have noticed the short disconnection.

Again going from memory, that could have been about the time I was mithering the Origin support on a daily basis regarding the disappointing speeds and they actually blocked our line from connecting to the IP addresses of some of their servers where our downloads were particularly underwhelming (maybe the IP addresses were linked to particular backhaul routes).

I e-mailed their CEO (https://www.ceoemail.com/) on a number of occasions regarding release from the contract due to unsatisfactory performance without ever receiving an acknowledgment or reply and was glad to jump ship as soon as the termination date was reached.
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 00:16:16
Print Post

You say you're using the the Unifi Wifi AP's, but what router are you using? If the the x6 speeds is ok-ish and x1 isn't, then this is a contention problem.

The root cause here is that Origin haven't bought enough bandwidth from either BTWholesale or TalkTalk Business or haven't got enough bandwidth to their upstream transit providers (former is much more likely as latter should mean they're on LINX and that part is very cheap compared to wholesale bandwidth). You can't do anything about that short of switching ISPs and whinging loudly, though.

However, if you have OpenWRT, Asus, Ubiquiti router (anything better than the USG 3P or the EdgeRouter Lite), pfSense or other Linux router, they should have fq_codel since it's in the kernel now (often just exposed as 'smart queues' in config screens). It's not a magic bullet that will solve all issues, but it will help you use every last bit of bandwidth you do get as efficiently as possible in the meantime.
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 08:51:23
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zzing123:
You say you're using the the Unifi Wifi AP's, but what router are you using? If the the x6 speeds is ok-ish and x1 isn't, then this is a contention problem.

The root cause here is that Origin haven't bought enough bandwidth from either BTWholesale or TalkTalk Business or haven't got enough bandwidth to their upstream transit providers (former is much more likely as latter should mean they're on LINX and that part is very cheap compared to wholesale bandwidth). You can't do anything about that short of switching ISPs and whinging loudly, though.

However, if you have OpenWRT, Asus, Ubiquiti router (anything better than the USG 3P or the EdgeRouter Lite), pfSense or other Linux router, they should have fq_codel since it's in the kernel now (often just exposed as 'smart queues' in config screens). It's not a magic bullet that will solve all issues, but it will help you use every last bit of bandwidth you do get as efficiently as possible in the meantime.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I think it is backhaul - kind of wish they would just tell me and say leave if your don't like it. Rather than getting me to do Speedtests all times of the night to keep me busy,,,

Router wise I have a tp-link mr6400 currently - i changed a couple of months ago after I had problems (whole other story smile ) EDIT'd for clarity and this router has a 4G sim slot so I could carry on having internet while they all sorted themselves out. I do have an Archer D5 as well and a Asus DSL-N16 - that was given to me by Origin that I never used.. Any of those do it?

This morning test My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by bounderboy (Wed 22-Apr-20 17:22:49)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Apr-20 09:57:03
Print Post

I see you are still saying Plusnet "slammed you". Pretty sure we worked out that PlusNet didn't slam you at all but another customer accidentally ordered a line at your address and that Origin didn't follow the procedures and send you notification so that you could ensure it was cancelled. Saying PlusNet slammed you suggest PlusNet did something wrong but I am pretty sure we worked out PlusNet didn't do anything wrong and the parties that made the mistake were Origin and the person who mistakenly raised an order against your address.

Saying PlusNet slammed you makes it always look like PlusNet did something illegal - they didn't.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Apr-20 13:40:35
Print Post

I was slammed by plusnet
You weren't. Why do you keep saying this?
Edit: Remember also that when Plusnet took over your line this happened because of Origin's failure to contact you about the change to Plusnet. If Origin had done what they were supposed to do your line would never have been moved.

Edited by MCM (Wed 22-Apr-20 13:44:43)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 17:26:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Saying PlusNet slammed you makes it always look like PlusNet did something illegal - they didn't.

In reply to a post by MCM:
I was slammed by plusnet
You weren't.

Have edited post as don't want to get off topic and take on board what you say. However I believe there wasn't another customer, and although unable to prove it I do think that was the case. But as you say Slamming is perhaps calling someone overcharging you at a supermarket fraud/theft. Anyway no-one came up smelling of roses..

Edited by bounderboy (Wed 22-Apr-20 17:27:28)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to