General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 11:59:18
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband - Evening Speed Issues

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think I pay £30 to origin and Vodafone is just over £20 inc vat.. They have special offer on
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 13:30:49
Print Post

[re: bounderboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bounderboy:
Well update - yesterday evening everything stayed flat - no dip to unuseable at all - first time in two weeks. So the reboot or the path change or something coincidental worked ...... for now...

Result?

With regards to openreach modem I have an ECI model which I don't think you can get stats from - I think it is only the Huawei ones you can?

You can... but it's not worth it. ECI modems use Lantiq chipsets which don't provide stats that are particularly useful. Huawei use Broadcom chips which do. You have no obligation to continue using that modem though. fleabay has Huawei modems going for £10-20, or you can use something like the Billion 8800NL or various others that also have Broadcom chips and provide the stats if you want something shiny.

I have opportunity to move to Vodafone Business Broadband (not sure if different to domestic) or just different name. But can get Static IP address 80:20 for tenner less a month. To be fair I don't pay it so saving doesn't matter.. but wondering if I am leaping from frying pan to fire and if changing during current climate would be risky.. as need my broadband

tbh, you can do a lot better than both Origin and Yodafone, imo. It's worth spending a bit more money on decent broadband than not, particularly since you're on here whinging about it. And if you're not paying for it, why not smile
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 19:49:17
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zzing123:
Result?

You can... but it's not worth it. ECI modems use Lantiq chipsets which don't provide stats that are particularly useful. Huawei use Broadcom chips which do. You have no obligation to continue using that modem though. fleabay has Huawei modems going for £10-20, or you can use something like the Billion 8800NL or various others that also have Broadcom chips and provide the stats if you want something shiny.

tbh, you can do a lot better than both Origin and Yodafone, imo. It's worth spending a bit more money on decent broadband than not, particularly since you're on here whinging about it. And if you're not paying for it, why not smile

Yeah great result. Just feel stupid for not trying earlier but thanks for the advice.

I do have a Huawei somewhere at work - i remember putting it up to use one day - will defo look into something as I do find interesting. - thanks for the tips...

Yeah understand there are better options- was on AAISP for a while and it was brilliant - only problem was blowing through my cap - dread to think what would happen now! I also have to choose a company that allows me to pay from Work Direct Debit or credit card and get a VAT receipt in company address. Origin do this hence why I have stuck with them.. I haven't checked anyone else for a while - well about 4 years... But would change quite happily for approx same price and those payment terms..

thanks for the help and listening to my whinging laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zzing123
(regular) Sat 25-Apr-20 00:12:01
Print Post

I also have to choose a company that allows me to pay from Work Direct Debit or credit card and get a VAT receipt in company address. Origin do this hence why I have stuck with them.. I haven't checked anyone else for a while - well about 4 years... But would change quite happily for approx same price and those payment terms..

Same position as me. I'm on IDnet, they give me a full VAT receipt (2 in fact, one for line rental, and another for broadband). But while I know AAISP and BT won't give you VAT receipts for their consumer broadband, most ISPs do.

Now, forgive me for the not-so-subtle hint, but one such ISP who are known to be good, give you VAT receipts and have been outspoken and gone above and beyond on both your threads is Matt from Uno. That's gotta be worth at least a call? wink

thanks for the help and listening to my whinging laugh

Your welcome.
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Sat 25-Apr-20 20:09:39
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zzing123:
Same position as me. I'm on IDnet, they give me a full VAT receipt (2 in fact, one for line rental, and another for broadband). But while I know AAISP and BT won't give you VAT receipts for their consumer broadband, most ISPs do.

Now, forgive me for the not-so-subtle hint, but one such ISP who are known to be good, give you VAT receipts and have been outspoken and gone above and beyond on both your threads is Matt from Uno. That's gotta be worth at least a call? wink

It's the VAT receipt in an address that isn't the installation address which was the problem. Actually AAISP was one that did do it for me but perhaps that changed as it was a while ago..

You are absolutely right Matt has been brilliant and his expertise has been so much appreciated. I did look before but pricing was a little over what I Was paying but I will look again.. thanks for the push... He might not want me...:-|

thanks

PS No dips since reboot!

Edited by bounderboy (Sat 25-Apr-20 20:14:08)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Sun 03-May-20 11:42:43
Print Post

Realise I haven't updated for a while. Probably most people saying thank god laugh

Anyway evenings have been a little less worse not dipping below 10 and staying around 20 - which on the whole you don't tend to notice as much.

On Thursday I noticed an Openreach engineer on my drive fiddling with outdoor wall socket. He hadn't knocked, I assume because of social distancing, but I did speak to him through window and he just said he had been sent to check connection, which he said all with a constant sync of 80:20 or near as dammit. Anyway I suppose it is good they checked but feel it was a little bit of waste of time for him..

Also today I have big projects on that I need solid internet (recording skype video calls) so I have split my network - house is running on 3 mobile broadband and I have my laptop solely on the Origin line - nothing else connected at all -

My Broadband Speed Test

So I can now also do long term true tests with out in-house contention - without peeing off rest of household..

The plot thickens...

PS

Uno - I had almost plumped to go for it but the problem is I can't justify fibre only cost and the Phone/broadband duo package is almost too cheap... smile It says it has a min of 20mb/s guaranteed (which is i assume during peak times) but I wonder what I would get majority of time.... if it was 20mb/s all the time it wouldn't be great but if that is just a really low base line figure so they can please rather disappoint then I am sure it would be ok..
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Sun 03-May-20 21:12:12
Print Post

Just as comparison 9pm Sunday night with rest of house in normal use, performed on wifi - here is speedtest on Superdrug Mobile Sim Card with unlimited data.. only £20 month to month contract

My Broadband Speed Test

Here is Origin at sametime of night connected through Ethernet - 1 computer attached only...

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by bounderboy (Sun 03-May-20 21:16:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-May-20 22:05:56
Print Post

The Origin one, when clicked to show the graphs, is clear evidence of single thread congestion or speed limiting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Mon 04-May-20 18:37:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The Origin one, when clicked to show the graphs, is clear evidence of single thread congestion or speed limiting.

Thanks, what in the graphs do you think shows that?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-May-20 18:47:50
Print Post

One reason (amongst other things) for having both the single-thread graph and the multi-thread graph is to show up exactly what yours does.

Your line is handling about 60Mbps on multi-stream. (It says 6-stream but I believe it is more than that now). But only about 25Mbps on single stream.

Multi-streaming is down to the provider, in this case thinkbroadband. ISPs do not split a feed from a source into multiple streams.

So if your ISP is supplying you at full speed on 6 streams but not on a single stream, the ISP is for whatever reason (throttling or congestion) only providing a degraded speed per stream.

You should be getting the full speed your line can handle even on single stream. You shouldn't need to be receiving six streams to achieve it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 04-May-20 18:49:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to