General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bounderboy
(learned) Sat 18-Apr-20 21:58:22
Print Post

Origin Broadband - Evening Speed Issues

[link to this post]

I have been with Origin for many years and had a few issues but all tended to be okish.

A few years ago I had problems with speed but after they upgraded network the speed was great. I have an 80:20 connection with them and last few weeks speeds have been fine except between 7-11pm - and it's almost clockwork that the service degrades significantly.

I have spoken to them a couple of times and first time they reached out to Openreach to see if congestion at the exchange which apparently there isn't, I am synced at 80:20. So they don't know what cause is.

They suggested it's because I am a heavy user - I had use nearly 100gig a day but not sure why that matters. All our TV is consumed through internet Netflix etc. family of four. I have also been working from home with tons of Video Conferencing and file transfers etc.. I don't torrent or anything..

They said they needed me to contact them in a slow period so they can run some more tests and I forgot on Friday and they close at 8.30pm so hard to get through.

I have been running a speedtest every 10mins for a lot of the last 2weeks. The machine the test is running on is hardwired.

The results are here: https://testmy.net/myaverage/Bounderboy

As you will see the dip is almost clockwork. I wondered if anyone had any ideas on what it might be, what I can try and how I can approach getting it fixed..

Thanks in advance.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sat 18-Apr-20 22:48:46
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband - Evening Speed Issues

[re: bounderboy] [link to this post]

100 Gig a day. blush

Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't use 100 Gig a month.

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Sat 18-Apr-20 22:49:29)

Standard User bounderboy
(learned) Sat 18-Apr-20 23:51:43
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Sure you aren't out of touch - I think my normal usage is nearer to 60gig a day but with working from home it has increased a lot - work for a video production company and we are using cloud sharing quite a lot...

Anyway my usage wouldn't explain performance drops in the evening... as I am sure i am using more in the day not the evening or at least just as much

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sof006
(newbie) Sun 19-Apr-20 00:01:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by bounderboy:
Sure you aren't out of touch - I think my normal usage is nearer to 60gig a day but with working from home it has increased a lot - work for a video production company and we are using cloud sharing quite a lot...

Anyway my usage wouldn't explain performance drops in the evening... as I am sure i am using more in the day not the evening or at least just as much

Usage doesn't matter you're right. If usage was an issue Origin Broadband shouldn't be advertising unlimited data with no fair usage. So if thats the issue they appear to be suggesting I would use that as a potential excuse to leave as they clearly cannot provide the bandwidth at peak time.

I used to be with Origin and experienced exactly the same issues you're having now, albeit a little worse (random IP address loss, packet loss) but non the less the issue you're having sound very familiar to me. As soon as I left Origin my issues went with them.
Standard User mbames
(committed) Sun 19-Apr-20 10:34:52
Print Post

[re: sof006] [link to this post]

Have you checked the drop in 'performance' isn't caused by all your TVs and things in the house?

Disconnect all the wired devices, apart from your test PC, and turn off wifi. Run the test and see what it is like when you are in the 'slow' window, say like at 1900

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User mking90031
(regular) Sun 19-Apr-20 11:02:00
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Hi,

People forget that broadband speeds are like a dinner table that is heaped with food. One person would have more than enough food but start adding people and soon enough each person is only getting a TINY portion of the servings. If you only have one device that uses the internet then the speed should be more than enough but start adding devices and they end up having to fight for a portion of that speed.

HTH people understand things a little better!

Yours,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 735.08 Mbps Down & 36.29 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 28/03/20)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Apr-20 11:57:12
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

Though given devices don't use a constant amount of Internet this equation is not as simple as made out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sof006
(newbie) Sun 19-Apr-20 12:54:28
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mking90031:
Hi,

People forget that broadband speeds are like a dinner table that is heaped with food. One person would have more than enough food but start adding people and soon enough each person is only getting a TINY portion of the servings. If you only have one device that uses the internet then the speed should be more than enough but start adding devices and they end up having to fight for a portion of that speed.

HTH people understand things a little better!

Yours,

If you have multiple devices connected to a router but only one of the devices is doing anything rather demanding a router would typically give the vast majority of the bandwidth to the device asking for it. A TV streaming netflix would not impact speed nor would it use 100GB of data per day, as it appears OP is doing file transfers and it noticing his speed isn't at what it should be despite what his modem/router is reporting. I imagine OP is doing the speed tests while no other devices are doing anything otherwise that would defeat the purpose of doing a speed test.
Standard User bounderboy
(learned) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:58:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks all.

In reply to the speedtest validity its an interesting one for sure. The results are just run every 10mins using a PC wired to router.

The rest of my network is Wifi (well it's Unifi Wifi so the APs are connected to the router.). Now I understand that because I am not isolating a single device for the speed tests there is definitely going to be an overhead that prevents me from seeing top speed and also even the best speedtests have overhead themselves.

So my complaint isn't with topline speed as that is around 30-40mbps (not full 80) and when speed is hovering around this then I don't notice any degradation in performance. It's only in the evening that I notice performance problems and the speedtest graph shows consistently that the speed drops proportionately every night between 7&11pm. I am pretty sure my usage is flat throughout the day and "Peak time viewing" isn't the issue as everyone is home watching tv all day etc...

So it feels that although there is some flaws in my test for full speed comparison it still feels valid for showing degradation.

And my original reason for posting was to understand if it feels like this is mine, openreach or origin's problem and if there is anything I can do to solve - without leaving preferably.

Hope that makes sense
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 15:08:31
Print Post

If while you are working you are transferring large video files, and you do most of your work during the day and not the evening, if it was due to your usage I'd expect speeds to be better during the evening.

From what you have posted it's not something at your end and definitely down to Origin.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Sun 19-Apr-20 16:41:14
Print Post

I am pretty sure my usage is flat throughout the day and "Peak time viewing" isn't the issue as everyone is home watching tv all day etc...

You'd be surprised.

The peak trend of 4pm-12am is still there and higher than pre-covid19 times. Some days this extends out earlier but whilst day usage has increased, evening has even more so.

This isn't unique to one ISP either, it is a trend that most, if not all, networks will see where a large number of their base is consumer.

Linx data is a good example of the evening peak where some days are higher and longer than others. https://portal.linx.net/stats/lans

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 17:05:21
Print Post

It seems some people think it could be that your usage is higher in the evening than you believe.

I suggest you turn of the AP's for a short time when it's going slow so that the only thing connected is the PC running the speedtest to confirm that it's nothing to do with what everyone else in the household is doing.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User mbames
(committed) Sun 19-Apr-20 17:31:21
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
It seems some people think it could be that your usage is higher in the evening than you believe.

I suggest you turn of the AP's for a short time when it's going slow so that the only thing connected is the PC running the speedtest to confirm that it's nothing to do with what everyone else in the household is doing.

This was my suggestion too... shouldn't be difficult for the OP to do, and will verify at least it isn't something in the house causing the issues he is experiencing. At that point it might point the finger to local congestion....

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User bounderboy
(learned) Sun 19-Apr-20 20:12:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:

This was my suggestion too... shouldn't be difficult for the OP to do, and will verify at least it isn't something in the house causing the issues he is experiencing. At that point it might point the finger to local congestion....

Technically easy... but harder with two teens glued to it..

When I mentioned Peak times I meant within my usage. Eg. Today I have been watching tv all day - as has rest of house and normalish results.. then 7pm huge dip...bang - so odd..
Standard User bounderboy
(learned) Mon 20-Apr-20 21:15:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:

Again as everynight performance dipped significantly from 7.30pm onwards

So Turned off AP's tonight..

Result before AP's turned off: https://testmy.net/db/e92sz5BGb

Result while no AP's on (just wired computer doing test: https://testmy.net/db/2T1wTzlL5

Result after AP's back on: https://testmy.net/db/J2NqCcHIM

Hmmm so ruled out usage at home causing problem... Here is URL That shows all my tests last few weeks with funky graphs. https://testmy.net/quickstats/Bounderboy?type=user_n...

Really not sure what is happening here if not congestion at exchange
Standard User bounderboy
(learned) Mon 20-Apr-20 21:37:23
Print Post

Couple of other tests:

https://fast.com/en/share/7.1Mbps.html

-

However https://speedtest.btwholesale.com - shows 67mb/s - i never find it that accurate always seems optimistic

-

Speedtest.net - seems a lot happier too but defo not a true reflection.. https://www.speedtest.net/result/9311891300
Standard User sof006
(newbie) Mon 20-Apr-20 22:03:54
Print Post

Couple of other tests:

https://fast.com/en/share/7.1Mbps.html

-

However https://speedtest.btwholesale.com - shows 67mb/s - i never find it that accurate always seems optimistic

-

Speedtest.net - seems a lot happier too but defo not a true reflection.. https://www.speedtest.net/result/9311891300

I'm telling you for a fact this is very typical of Origin. Exactly the same issues when I was with them, nothing has changed by the looks of it. Their network cannot handle the load. If I was you and your contract is up i'd consider moving to someone else.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Apr-20 22:17:51
Print Post

Alas yes this does seem to be a pattern with Origin i.e. not first time

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Apr-20 12:43:22
Print Post

Another couple of tests to do using this time the thinkbroadband speed tester which is far more informative than speedtest.net (again run these wired with the AP's off).

Run one during the day when it is running normally, and one in the evening when it has slowed down.

I expect you'll find that the speeds of the x1 and x6 tests are very similar during the day but that in the evening the x1 test is significantly slower. If so that is a classic symptom of suppliers network congestion.

(When you go to the results page it gives you the code to share the results directly to these forums)

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-20 15:26:42
Print Post

Another couple of tests to do using this time the thinkbroadband speed tester which is far more informative than speedtest.net (again run these wired with the AP's off).

Run one during the day when it is running normally, and one in the evening when it has slowed down.

I expect you'll find that the speeds of the x1 and x6 tests are very similar during the day but that in the evening the x1 test is significantly slower. If so that is a classic symptom of suppliers network congestion.

(When you go to the results page it gives you the code to share the results directly to these forums)

Thanks for the idea of this.....here is the result now:

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

Will do one again later on smile

Edited by bounderboy (Tue 21-Apr-20 19:39:12)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-20 20:07:05
Print Post

And here we go slowdown begins...

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Speed Test

Netflix not running well either see photo link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3dSmAY7pqvFonr1L9

Edited by bounderboy (Tue 21-Apr-20 22:07:53)

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-20 21:47:53
Print Post

Well the single threaded download hasn't changed in the last two years then but they have improved the multi-thread!

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4583960...
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-20 22:05:22
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Well the single threaded download hasn't changed in the last two years then but they have improved the multi-thread!

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4583960...

Yes does appear you had a similar problem... what did this post mean? https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4584119...
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-20 22:24:04
Print Post

My Broadband Speed Test

On way back up now... TV becoming watchable... not asking for much to have this as a minimum all day!
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-20 23:26:04
Print Post

I'm guessing that somewhere in the background Origin connected us to a different backhaul just before that was posted. IIRC we didn't notice any break in the connection but our streaming was nil in those days (and is pretty much at the same level now!) so we might never have noticed the short disconnection.

Again going from memory, that could have been about the time I was mithering the Origin support on a daily basis regarding the disappointing speeds and they actually blocked our line from connecting to the IP addresses of some of their servers where our downloads were particularly underwhelming (maybe the IP addresses were linked to particular backhaul routes).

I e-mailed their CEO (https://www.ceoemail.com/) on a number of occasions regarding release from the contract due to unsatisfactory performance without ever receiving an acknowledgment or reply and was glad to jump ship as soon as the termination date was reached.
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 00:16:16
Print Post

You say you're using the the Unifi Wifi AP's, but what router are you using? If the the x6 speeds is ok-ish and x1 isn't, then this is a contention problem.

The root cause here is that Origin haven't bought enough bandwidth from either BTWholesale or TalkTalk Business or haven't got enough bandwidth to their upstream transit providers (former is much more likely as latter should mean they're on LINX and that part is very cheap compared to wholesale bandwidth). You can't do anything about that short of switching ISPs and whinging loudly, though.

However, if you have OpenWRT, Asus, Ubiquiti router (anything better than the USG 3P or the EdgeRouter Lite), pfSense or other Linux router, they should have fq_codel since it's in the kernel now (often just exposed as 'smart queues' in config screens). It's not a magic bullet that will solve all issues, but it will help you use every last bit of bandwidth you do get as efficiently as possible in the meantime.
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 08:51:23
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zzing123:
You say you're using the the Unifi Wifi AP's, but what router are you using? If the the x6 speeds is ok-ish and x1 isn't, then this is a contention problem.

The root cause here is that Origin haven't bought enough bandwidth from either BTWholesale or TalkTalk Business or haven't got enough bandwidth to their upstream transit providers (former is much more likely as latter should mean they're on LINX and that part is very cheap compared to wholesale bandwidth). You can't do anything about that short of switching ISPs and whinging loudly, though.

However, if you have OpenWRT, Asus, Ubiquiti router (anything better than the USG 3P or the EdgeRouter Lite), pfSense or other Linux router, they should have fq_codel since it's in the kernel now (often just exposed as 'smart queues' in config screens). It's not a magic bullet that will solve all issues, but it will help you use every last bit of bandwidth you do get as efficiently as possible in the meantime.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I think it is backhaul - kind of wish they would just tell me and say leave if your don't like it. Rather than getting me to do Speedtests all times of the night to keep me busy,,,

Router wise I have a tp-link mr6400 currently - i changed a couple of months ago after I had problems (whole other story smile ) EDIT'd for clarity and this router has a 4G sim slot so I could carry on having internet while they all sorted themselves out. I do have an Archer D5 as well and a Asus DSL-N16 - that was given to me by Origin that I never used.. Any of those do it?

This morning test My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by bounderboy (Wed 22-Apr-20 17:22:49)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Apr-20 09:57:03
Print Post

I see you are still saying Plusnet "slammed you". Pretty sure we worked out that PlusNet didn't slam you at all but another customer accidentally ordered a line at your address and that Origin didn't follow the procedures and send you notification so that you could ensure it was cancelled. Saying PlusNet slammed you suggest PlusNet did something wrong but I am pretty sure we worked out PlusNet didn't do anything wrong and the parties that made the mistake were Origin and the person who mistakenly raised an order against your address.

Saying PlusNet slammed you makes it always look like PlusNet did something illegal - they didn't.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Apr-20 13:40:35
Print Post

I was slammed by plusnet
You weren't. Why do you keep saying this?
Edit: Remember also that when Plusnet took over your line this happened because of Origin's failure to contact you about the change to Plusnet. If Origin had done what they were supposed to do your line would never have been moved.

Edited by MCM (Wed 22-Apr-20 13:44:43)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 17:26:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Saying PlusNet slammed you makes it always look like PlusNet did something illegal - they didn't.

In reply to a post by MCM:
I was slammed by plusnet
You weren't.

Have edited post as don't want to get off topic and take on board what you say. However I believe there wasn't another customer, and although unable to prove it I do think that was the case. But as you say Slamming is perhaps calling someone overcharging you at a supermarket fraud/theft. Anyway no-one came up smelling of roses..

Edited by bounderboy (Wed 22-Apr-20 17:27:28)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 17:29:16
Print Post

Origin have asked me to run WinMTR. and send them results - I did this morning.. I assume they will want me to this evening too...

Not sure if they will show anything but it's another test other than speedtests smile
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Apr-20 18:06:10
Print Post

Until the price at the supermarket comes up at the till then you aren't being overcharged. Up to the buyer to agree to the price being charged and accept.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 18:17:25
Print Post

Running a traceroute during the slowdown will find which hop between you and the Internet the delay / contention is. You should run it now while it's working OK and compare & contrast.

You should also have a look at the 'Analysis' button on the thinkbroadband speedtest to check the general ping latency. It's precisely that which would get fixed by the QoS I mentioned.
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 18:34:03
Print Post

I've not had any experience with any of these routers, so don't quote me on this, but according to the manuals:

TP-Link TL-MR6400 (pp17) V2 and later: Only basic QoS. Won't help much with latency issues caused by contention unless you want to reserve bandwidth for VoIP etc.

TP-Link Archer D5: no QoS at all.

Asus DSL-N16 (pp27): Yes, click 'Smart Queues'.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Wed 22-Apr-20 19:27:53
Print Post

Apologies for being off-topic but I don't quite follow your logic there, if there wasn't another customer mistakenly trying to take over your line it is difficult to figure out who placed an order with PlusNet to do just that? What do you think happened, as others have said it was Origin who failed to inform you of the pending line takeover.
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 19:44:13
Print Post

Running a traceroute during the slowdown will find which hop between you and the Internet the delay / contention is. You should run it now while it's working OK and compare & contrast.

You should also have a look at the 'Analysis' button on the thinkbroadband speedtest to check the general ping latency. It's precisely that which would get fixed by the QoS I mentioned.

Thanks for the info... here it is when running ok... bbc.co.uk

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|--------------------------------------------- ---|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 1 | 8081 | 8080 | 0 | 1 | 64 | 0 |
| 10.0.254.95 - 0 | 8078 | 8078 | 13 | 16 | 55 | 23 |
| 10.0.244.241 - 1 | 8071 | 8069 | 14 | 21 | 145 | 19 |
| 10ge2-3.core1.lon2.he.net - 1 | 8063 | 8059 | 13 | 19 | 79 | 18 |
| e0-35.core3.lon1.he.net - 0 | 8078 | 8078 | 14 | 22 | 903 | 38 |
| ip81-60.fastly-gw2.lonap.net - 1 | 8075 | 8074 | 14 | 16 | 69 | 15 |
| 151.101.128.81 - 1 | 8075 | 8074 | 13 | 16 | 83 | 15 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Edited by bounderboy (Wed 22-Apr-20 19:52:37)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 22:37:05
Print Post

This is what happened when the speed dropped after 8pm 9.30pm - still not that bad ... really

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 305 | 305 | 0 | 2 | 21 | 1 |
| 10.0.254.95 - 2 | 289 | 285 | 14 | 17 | 39 | 15 |
| 10.0.244.241 - 2 | 293 | 290 | 15 | 19 | 85 | 16 |
| 10ge2-3.core1.lon2.he.net - 2 | 293 | 290 | 14 | 19 | 50 | 16 |
| e0-35.core3.lon1.he.net - 2 | 285 | 280 | 14 | 17 | 37 | 16 |
| ip81-59.fastly-gw1.lonap.net - 3 | 281 | 275 | 15 | 17 | 32 | 28 |
| 151.101.192.81 - 2 | 289 | 284 | 14 | 18 | 37 | 27 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Wed 22-Apr-20 22:41:00
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
... as others have said it was Origin who failed to inform you of the pending line takeover.

They also said they had failed to do so.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Wed 22-Apr-20 23:23:32
Print Post

This is what happened when the speed dropped after 8pm 9.30pm - still not that bad ... really

No. Those stats are actually improved on the normal lol.

However, you can tell a few things, but it looks more like an enterprise network than a broadband one. Here's what you can decipher:

Hop 1: 192.168.1.1 is your router
Hops 2 & 3: 10.0.254.95 & 10.0.244.241 are most likely the overlay network run by Origin. Whether it's MPLS or IP VPN you can't tell. But it's strange there are only 2 hops as there's usually a few more in a normal broadband connection.
Hops 4 & 5: Traffic is then going over Hurricane Electric transit. This means your traffic is routed to a datacentre first and then going over a central pipe to LONAP, which is one of 2 main internet exchanges in London (the other is LINX).

We don't know what the deal is between Origin and Hurricane Electric. But Origin don't seem to have their own router in LONAP or LINX, which is strange as it's unlike just about every other ISP in the UK.

If there's any issue, it seems to appear between Origin's network and the HE transit to LONAP, as evidenced by the 'Worst' blips at both ends of the HE network (between hop 3 & 4 showing 147ms and hop 5 & 6 with 903ms): you're looking for inconsistent latencies like that. Also when testing line quality, you should always take pings when your line is heavily loaded like when watching Netflix or a big download. That's the worst case scenario for latencies.

Anyway, send both plots to Origin and keep whinging.
Standard User olorinh
(newbie) Wed 22-Apr-20 23:26:38
Print Post

This is really intriguing. From what I can tell, Origin's network is segmented in half; a CGNAT side used for most customer connections, and a static IP side.

My main Origin line has a IP, and almost always hit the same LNS (10.0.254.93), which gets the same HE transit. I have another two CGNAT lines that hit random LNS' and almost always get Cogent transit.

Origin used to have LINX and LONAP public peering, but they culled them sometime last year. It was a wise move IMO. Less traffic to bulk around docklands, so it works out cheaper for them, because transit is cheaper to upgrade than adding more cross/interconnects.

I always observe niggling issues on the CGNAT lines, with stuck TCP connections (probably TCP-SYN issues), particularly to busier local sites like BBC. Before COVID-19, some evening peak congestion was evident. Nowadays, the 40/10 line halves throughput during the evening, and 80/20 about halves throughput too. But it's not a problem for me as they're lightly used and work flawlessly for their intended purpose.

However my main Origin line with static IP hits full 80/20 all day and all night. Never, ever, get any congestion. It's practically uncontended. I don't know whether I'm hitting lucky with the LNS (10.0.254.93) or what. I notice your HE route and you're on a neighbouring LNS (10.0.254.95), so I'd say either your LNS is hot, or its backhaul is congested. It's definitely not a transit issue.

So what I'd suggest is to disconnect your modem entirely for 60 minutes to let your session completely expire throughout Openreach, TalkTalk and Origin's networks, and then reconnect. Maybe you'll connect to a different LNS (take note of the IP, it's the second hop in your trace) and the speed issue will be resolved. If you do get a different LNS but still face evening peak congestion, it'll be TalkTalk's network at fault.

TalkTalk don't often publish info about congestion, but if it's the case here, you might find some planned works on their status page: https://managed.mytalktalkbusiness.co.uk/network-sta...

Edited by olorinh (Wed 22-Apr-20 23:46:03)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Thu 23-Apr-20 13:05:13
Print Post

[re: olorinh] [link to this post]

Wow Olo and Zzing, thanks for taking time to go through that thoroughly fascinating and also a lot more information gleaned than my speedtests were doing..

Not sure if it helps but I do have a static ip address, paid for, so are you saying that this actually seems to "normally" give a better routing. Funny enough until three weeks ago i had same as you - un-contended beautifully consistent connection. Hence not moving.

I wonder if turning off modem could work - happy to do that - will have to do that over night i guess. For fear of reprisal from rest of household. smile

Strangely enough I only sent the good WinMtr result to Origin who didn't want anything and the response was "Yes we have raised this!" - and when I asked who to she said "the supplier smile" .

So that seems to fit in with your ideas that by seeing the routing they have identified "the hop" that is causing the problem. And I am unlucky to be routing through it.

Thanks again for all that info - so very interesting...
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Thu 23-Apr-20 14:18:38
Print Post

Just did a quick reboot of my openreach modem... and it indeed has changed path now..

Be interesting to see if that makes any difference - hope it doesn't make it worse lol smile

Text
 |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
 |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
 |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
 |                             192.168.1.1 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |    0 |    1 |   15 |    1 |
 |                             10.0.254.88 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   16 |   84 |   14 |
 |                            10.0.244.245 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   15 |   19 |  102 |   15 |
 |               10ge2-3.core1.lon2.he.net -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   18 |   51 |   34 |
 |                 e0-35.core3.lon1.he.net -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   18 |   66 |   14 |
 |            ip81-60.fastly-gw2.lonap.net -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   16 |   38 |   15 |
 |                            151.101.0.81 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   13 |   16 |   39 |   15 |

Thanks for tip..Jelv - looks so much better smile

Edited by bounderboy (Thu 23-Apr-20 14:31:16)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Apr-20 14:23:21
Print Post

Tip: Wrapping it in code tags makes it more presentable!

Text
 |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
 |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
 |                             192.168.1.1 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |    0 |    1 |   15 |    1 |
 |                             10.0.254.88 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   16 |   84 |   14 |
 |                            10.0.244.245 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   15 |   19 |  102 |   15 |
 |               10ge2-3.core1.lon2.he.net -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   18 |   51 |   34 |
 |                 e0-35.core3.lon1.he.net -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   18 |   66 |   14 |
 |            ip81-60.fastly-gw2.lonap.net -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   14 |   16 |   38 |   15 |
 |                            151.101.0.81 -    0 | 1022 | 1022 |   13 |   16 |   39 |   15 |

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Thu 23-Apr-20 14:24:58)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Thu 23-Apr-20 18:51:16
Print Post

Might have made it worse by rebooting blush

Text
 |                             192.168.1.1 -    0 | 13574 | 13574 |    0 |    1 |   32 |    1 |
 |                             10.0.254.88 -    1 | 13569 | 13568 |   13 |   16 |   61 |   14 |
 |                            10.0.244.245 -    1 | 13569 | 13568 |   14 |   20 |  165 |   26 |
 |               10ge2-3.core1.lon2.he.net -    0 | 13574 | 13574 |   13 |   19 |   68 |   21 |
 |                 e0-35.core3.lon1.he.net -    0 | 13573 | 13573 |   14 |   20 |  966 |   16 |
 |            ip81-59.fastly-gw1.lonap.net -    1 | 13569 | 13568 |   14 |   17 |   56 |   15 |
 |                          151.101.192.81 -    0 | 13573 | 13573 |   13 |   17 |   60 |   24 |
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Thu 23-Apr-20 20:22:01
Print Post

I might be speaking to soon.. but my internet hasn;t dipped yet tonight.

I am feeling so dumb.. if rebooting router for 10secs has fixed it I will feel very stupid... Apologies if this was an obvious thing I should have done :-|
Standard User sof006
(newbie) Thu 23-Apr-20 23:19:35
Print Post

Origin have asked me to run WinMTR. and send them results - I did this morning.. I assume they will want me to this evening too...

Not sure if they will show anything but it's another test other than speedtests smile

Again this is exactly what Origin told me to do, then they said they'd get back to me. Then getting back to me via email claiming to have fixed the issue. Only for a week later it goes back to doing exactly what it was doing before.

Not to sound like i'm trying to shower my opinions of Origin on yourself, but so far they're doing everything to you as they did to me. I doubt they'll fix it (and if they do, for very long).
Standard User sof006
(newbie) Thu 23-Apr-20 23:23:38
Print Post

I am feeling so dumb.. if rebooting router for 10secs has fixed it I will feel very stupid... Apologies if this was an obvious thing I should have done :-|

I wouldn't hold your breath...
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 00:48:35
Print Post

Have you checked the modem isn't having a spurt of Errored Seconds (ES) counts in the DSL modem? During peak times there may be a lot of crosstalk and that can lead to a fault that Openreach will fix. You say you have an Openreach modem, so unlock it, get the stats and collect them for a day...
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 08:19:13
Print Post

Have you checked the modem isn't having a spurt of Errored Seconds (ES) counts in the DSL modem? During peak times there may be a lot of crosstalk and that can lead to a fault that Openreach will fix. You say you have an Openreach modem, so unlock it, get the stats and collect them for a day...

Well update - yesterday evening everything stayed flat - no dip to unuseable at all - first time in two weeks. So the reboot or the path change or something coincidental worked ...... for now...

With regards to openreach modem I have an ECI model which I don't think you can get stats from - I think it is only the Huawei ones you can?

I have opportunity to move to Vodafone Business Broadband (not sure if different to domestic) or just different name. But can get Static IP address 80:20 for tenner less a month. To be fair I don't pay it so saving doesn't matter.. but wondering if I am leaping from frying pan to fire and if changing during current climate would be risky.. as need my broadband

Edited by bounderboy (Fri 24-Apr-20 09:19:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Apr-20 10:16:12
Print Post

Is that business one including or excluding Vat?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 11:59:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think I pay £30 to origin and Vodafone is just over £20 inc vat.. They have special offer on
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 13:30:49
Print Post

Well update - yesterday evening everything stayed flat - no dip to unuseable at all - first time in two weeks. So the reboot or the path change or something coincidental worked ...... for now...

Result?

With regards to openreach modem I have an ECI model which I don't think you can get stats from - I think it is only the Huawei ones you can?

You can... but it's not worth it. ECI modems use Lantiq chipsets which don't provide stats that are particularly useful. Huawei use Broadcom chips which do. You have no obligation to continue using that modem though. fleabay has Huawei modems going for £10-20, or you can use something like the Billion 8800NL or various others that also have Broadcom chips and provide the stats if you want something shiny.

I have opportunity to move to Vodafone Business Broadband (not sure if different to domestic) or just different name. But can get Static IP address 80:20 for tenner less a month. To be fair I don't pay it so saving doesn't matter.. but wondering if I am leaping from frying pan to fire and if changing during current climate would be risky.. as need my broadband

tbh, you can do a lot better than both Origin and Yodafone, imo. It's worth spending a bit more money on decent broadband than not, particularly since you're on here whinging about it. And if you're not paying for it, why not smile
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Fri 24-Apr-20 19:49:17
Print Post

Result?

You can... but it's not worth it. ECI modems use Lantiq chipsets which don't provide stats that are particularly useful. Huawei use Broadcom chips which do. You have no obligation to continue using that modem though. fleabay has Huawei modems going for £10-20, or you can use something like the Billion 8800NL or various others that also have Broadcom chips and provide the stats if you want something shiny.

tbh, you can do a lot better than both Origin and Yodafone, imo. It's worth spending a bit more money on decent broadband than not, particularly since you're on here whinging about it. And if you're not paying for it, why not smile

Yeah great result. Just feel stupid for not trying earlier but thanks for the advice.

I do have a Huawei somewhere at work - i remember putting it up to use one day - will defo look into something as I do find interesting. - thanks for the tips...

Yeah understand there are better options- was on AAISP for a while and it was brilliant - only problem was blowing through my cap - dread to think what would happen now! I also have to choose a company that allows me to pay from Work Direct Debit or credit card and get a VAT receipt in company address. Origin do this hence why I have stuck with them.. I haven't checked anyone else for a while - well about 4 years... But would change quite happily for approx same price and those payment terms..

thanks for the help and listening to my whinging laugh
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Sat 25-Apr-20 00:12:01
Print Post

I also have to choose a company that allows me to pay from Work Direct Debit or credit card and get a VAT receipt in company address. Origin do this hence why I have stuck with them.. I haven't checked anyone else for a while - well about 4 years... But would change quite happily for approx same price and those payment terms..

Same position as me. I'm on IDnet, they give me a full VAT receipt (2 in fact, one for line rental, and another for broadband). But while I know AAISP and BT won't give you VAT receipts for their consumer broadband, most ISPs do.

Now, forgive me for the not-so-subtle hint, but one such ISP who are known to be good, give you VAT receipts and have been outspoken and gone above and beyond on both your threads is Matt from Uno. That's gotta be worth at least a call? wink

thanks for the help and listening to my whinging laugh

Your welcome.
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Sat 25-Apr-20 20:09:39
Print Post

Same position as me. I'm on IDnet, they give me a full VAT receipt (2 in fact, one for line rental, and another for broadband). But while I know AAISP and BT won't give you VAT receipts for their consumer broadband, most ISPs do.

Now, forgive me for the not-so-subtle hint, but one such ISP who are known to be good, give you VAT receipts and have been outspoken and gone above and beyond on both your threads is Matt from Uno. That's gotta be worth at least a call? wink

It's the VAT receipt in an address that isn't the installation address which was the problem. Actually AAISP was one that did do it for me but perhaps that changed as it was a while ago..

You are absolutely right Matt has been brilliant and his expertise has been so much appreciated. I did look before but pricing was a little over what I Was paying but I will look again.. thanks for the push... He might not want me...:-|

thanks

PS No dips since reboot!

Edited by bounderboy (Sat 25-Apr-20 20:14:08)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Sun 03-May-20 11:42:43
Print Post

Realise I haven't updated for a while. Probably most people saying thank god laugh

Anyway evenings have been a little less worse not dipping below 10 and staying around 20 - which on the whole you don't tend to notice as much.

On Thursday I noticed an Openreach engineer on my drive fiddling with outdoor wall socket. He hadn't knocked, I assume because of social distancing, but I did speak to him through window and he just said he had been sent to check connection, which he said all with a constant sync of 80:20 or near as dammit. Anyway I suppose it is good they checked but feel it was a little bit of waste of time for him..

Also today I have big projects on that I need solid internet (recording skype video calls) so I have split my network - house is running on 3 mobile broadband and I have my laptop solely on the Origin line - nothing else connected at all -

My Broadband Speed Test

So I can now also do long term true tests with out in-house contention - without peeing off rest of household..

The plot thickens...

PS

Uno - I had almost plumped to go for it but the problem is I can't justify fibre only cost and the Phone/broadband duo package is almost too cheap... smile It says it has a min of 20mb/s guaranteed (which is i assume during peak times) but I wonder what I would get majority of time.... if it was 20mb/s all the time it wouldn't be great but if that is just a really low base line figure so they can please rather disappoint then I am sure it would be ok..
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Sun 03-May-20 21:12:12
Print Post

Just as comparison 9pm Sunday night with rest of house in normal use, performed on wifi - here is speedtest on Superdrug Mobile Sim Card with unlimited data.. only £20 month to month contract

My Broadband Speed Test

Here is Origin at sametime of night connected through Ethernet - 1 computer attached only...

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by bounderboy (Sun 03-May-20 21:16:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-May-20 22:05:56
Print Post

The Origin one, when clicked to show the graphs, is clear evidence of single thread congestion or speed limiting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Mon 04-May-20 18:37:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The Origin one, when clicked to show the graphs, is clear evidence of single thread congestion or speed limiting.

Thanks, what in the graphs do you think shows that?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-May-20 18:47:50
Print Post

One reason (amongst other things) for having both the single-thread graph and the multi-thread graph is to show up exactly what yours does.

Your line is handling about 60Mbps on multi-stream. (It says 6-stream but I believe it is more than that now). But only about 25Mbps on single stream.

Multi-streaming is down to the provider, in this case thinkbroadband. ISPs do not split a feed from a source into multiple streams.

So if your ISP is supplying you at full speed on 6 streams but not on a single stream, the ISP is for whatever reason (throttling or congestion) only providing a degraded speed per stream.

You should be getting the full speed your line can handle even on single stream. You shouldn't need to be receiving six streams to achieve it.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 04-May-20 18:49:07)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-May-20 10:24:21
Print Post

I gave the signs to look for earlier in this topic!

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Tue 05-May-20 10:28:23)

Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Wed 06-May-20 19:47:21
Print Post

I gave the signs to look for earlier in this topic!

Thanks Jelv.. just learning and thought maybe there was something else I was missing - your advice was listened to, too

Spoke to Origin again tonight - there wasn;t even a fault logged on their system.. After weeks of talking to them and an engineer visit... Talked to a great guy tonight but going to have to start again sigh..
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-May-20 22:58:56
Print Post

Personally after all these months I would have thought you had discovered that Origin are incompetent at the best of times such as failing to follow OFCOM rules when another ISP initiates a line move. I think the best thing you can do is ditch them and move to an ISP whose reputation isn't less than zero and instead select an ISP that will provide a sustainable service and offer decent value and support. Such ISPs exist however Origin isn't in that number.
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Fri 08-May-20 09:40:49
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Personally after all these months I would have thought you had discovered that Origin are incompetent at the best of times such as failing to follow OFCOM rules when another ISP initiates a line move. I think the best thing you can do is ditch them and move to an ISP whose reputation isn't less than zero and instead select an ISP that will provide a sustainable service and offer decent value and support. Such ISPs exist however Origin isn't in that number.

What he said, I listened to their lies and rubbish for months, always somebody elses fault, including mine yet when I left all the issues vanished. The guy that i thought was genuine and trying to help turned out to be the biggest liar - Origin were the worst ISP I have ever been with by a country mile.
lots of good ones on here for similar money, definitly I would do as above poster says.
K
Standard User sof006
(newbie) Fri 08-May-20 22:27:51
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

This. Literally this.

I was with them for about a year and experienced this constantly every day for a year. Their constant claims of "Oh we fixed it, we promise" only to be met with exactly the same issue time and time again.

Lets face it here, they can't fix it. Looking at reviews there are tons of people all complainig about exactly the same issues. This will never be fixed, Origin are clearly not interested in fixing the issue.
Standard User bounderboy
(regular) Fri 19-Jun-20 22:01:34
Print Post

Well just a minor update but I have instigated a move - I had my 2mths credit and am moving to Vodafone Business Broadband. you get 6mths free - hoping that they will have better infrastructure but we will find out next week I think..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to