General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-20 07:07:16
Print Post

BT to PlusNet Nightmare

[link to this post]

BT to PlusNet Nightmare

In over 50 years, PLUSNET Customer Service is the worse I have ever come across. AVOID at all costs.

I have been with BT since the 1980s.

I used uSwitch and discovered there was a saving of £50 per month for the same service: unlimited calls & 36MB broadband.

So I proceeded with the transfer via uSwitch. PlusNet debited my account then everything went fine then right at the end I got a message saying something went wrong and I would receive a welcome message after 24 hours - if not I should phone 0800 432 0080.

I eventually got through to customer services. He seemed eager and was very helpful. He told me nothing had been set up by uSwitch and details would need to be re-entered. He sent the link twice and assured me that only one transaction would be taken from my account and that I would be able to sign into my account after 24 hours. He gave me his email address so I was re-assured.

DISASTER. Plusnet had set up THREE transactions for £31 in my credit card. After a week I STILL cannot sign on with cookies enabled and I tried several browsers and get the same message invalid userid/password.

I contacted the Customer Service man who had help me.

YESTERDAY he emailed me to say: I am unable to reply to customers through personal email. If you have any problems please get in touch on 0800 432 0200.

I have taken some screenshots to substantiate these events.

Today I am going to contact BT and say I want to stay with them, even if it means paying £50 a month more!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-20 09:16:30
Print Post

Re: BT to PlusNet Nightmare

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

Something have certainly gone wrong, sorry to hear you have had so many problems.
You need to phone plusnet again, I find phoning is better than sending emails back and forward anyway.

I know plusnet is cheaper than Bt, but I do wonder what services you have with BT that it cost you £50 a month more, that is a fair bit more per month.
Are you connected to plusnet services yet? If so then that would have to be changed back to B.T

i have been with plusnet for a fair few years now and the majority of the time i have been happy with the service, but then I joined from scratch with a reconnection of the phone line, I am not sure if I would use a service like switch to change broadband, i did use them to change energy company a few years back, that went ok

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 09:58:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Comparison sites should ideally just provide a link to the package on them, if they are taking your actual details and signing up on your behalf that does add another interface with scope for mistakes.

Looks likely this is what has happened here.

Switching energy is usually just a case of billing. details and who reads/gets meter readings, broadband switches can involve physical changes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 20-Sep-20 10:38:18
Print Post

After a week I STILL cannot sign on with cookies enabled and I tried several browsers and get the same message invalid userid/password.
I'm unsure if you mean you can't sign into your account, or onto the internet service, or both.

If it's the internet via your router, a common mistake that I and others made was to put the username into the router incorrectly. It is [email protected], but it's easy to mistakenly put your own email address.

If it's the account itself, IIRC the username for that is just the part before the @ of your email address.

Are you using the Plusnet-supplied router? If so, have you tried a factory reset on it, then trying the auto setup, where it can take over 15 minutes to complete the TR-069 setup?

If the problem is the password, if things are the same as they used to be, then they used to email a password reminder if you go to www.plus.net/forgot password . (Note the full stop between plus and net there).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-20 11:21:57
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In answer to your questions:

I have not got to the router stage; the userid was to sign into my account.

USwitch did not work, neither did the links PlusNet customer services supplied.

The cost for BT is just for the landline with unlimited calls & 36MB broadband. Nothing else. Works out at £80 per month.

I suspect the main difference is customer service.

To sum up, the PlusNet man I dealt with tried to set up an account for me. Contrary to what he told me - my credit card account was debited with three identical sums, when it should have been just one. When I queried this, and the inability to login he seemed unable to rectify it; he emailed me to say he could not help me and that I should contact Customer Services.

It seems extraordinary that he could not sort it out himself when the mistake was PlusNet's and expected me to start all explaining what had happened all over again with Customer Services.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 13:14:41
Print Post

£80 for Fibre Essential with is the 36 Mbps service and unlimited calls

£15/m for unlimited calls and £34.99/m for Fibre Essential once outside the minimum terms is £51/m.

So if your bill is actually £80/m you need to provide a breakdown of what it actually is, as you may be paying for things you don't need/use or need to see what offers are available in return for another minimum term.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 13:17:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Have taken a look at the uswitch site and they do what is normal i.e. affiliate links so once you've clicked that you would have been fully in the Plusnet realm and thus I don't understand why so much talk of uswitch.

Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Sun 20-Sep-20 13:23:27
Print Post

I agree with Andrew: Plusnet accounts software is well capable of screwing up without any additional interface via a third party! I'm now into my seventh year with PN and every contract renewal has hit some snag. Last week's first bill had a £10 overcharge because they had failed to apply the discount I had negotiated on renewal. Such matters aren't helped by the inability to view bills in later versions of Firefox, I have to log in via Edge or Chrome which I don't like.

I phoned on Saturday morning and to my surprise was answered in a couple of seconds rather than the usual 15-20 minutes. The rep could not have been more helpful or apologetic and within 10 minutes I received an email saying the overpayment would be credited to my account within the next five days.

But the main thing is that PN has proved utterly reliable without a minute's downtime in over six years, and the staff are very helpful -- it's not their fault that their software causes constant billing problems.

By the way, hang onto your BT Home Hub if you can. The Plusnet forum has an excellent guide to using the HH6 on PN once you get your connection established. Good luck!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-20 16:19:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Comparison sites should ideally just provide a link to the package on them, if they are taking your actual details and signing up on your behalf that does add another interface with scope for mistakes.

Looks likely this is what has happened here.

Switching energy is usually just a case of billing. details and who reads/gets meter readings, broadband switches can involve physical changes.

I normally use comparison sites just to look at what is available, I do not normally use them to switch, that was the plan when I was looking for another ISP.

i can not remember why I switch energy provider using them, but it went ok.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-20 16:23:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tantalus:
In answer to your questions:

I have not got to the router stage; the userid was to sign into my account.

USwitch did not work, neither did the links PlusNet customer services supplied.

The cost for BT is just for the landline with unlimited calls & 36MB broadband. Nothing else. Works out at £80 per month.

I suspect the main difference is customer service.

To sum up, the PlusNet man I dealt with tried to set up an account for me. Contrary to what he told me - my credit card account was debited with three identical sums, when it should have been just one. When I queried this, and the inability to login he seemed unable to rectify it; he emailed me to say he could not help me and that I should contact Customer Services.

It seems extraordinary that he could not sort it out himself when the mistake was PlusNet's and expected me to start all explaining what had happened all over again with Customer Services.

that is a lot for broadband and landline, I agree with Andrew, maybe you are paying for something you are not using.

BT customer service is awful, I would not pay extra for that I can tell you.
You need to keep on at them, also if the direct debit was a mistake, you can claim that back, a bit of a pain, yes, but it can be done.

touch wood, i have not really had any big problem with Plusnet, in fact they were flipping good when I had problems with the line.

i hope you get it sorted.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to