General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-20 16:38:02
Print Post

Re: BT to PlusNet Nightmare

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

So is it all sorted now? Not sure how your bill varied by so much if it wasn't down to calls being made though?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Sep-20 16:58:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Possibly premium rate calls (not necessarily the rip-off 09 series) or texts to destinations such as 83111 (BBC Radio 3) or 61812 (Classic FM), that are not included in even the "unlimited calls" packages.

I wonder if the OP is not checking the detailed bill, in case someone in the household is making such calls without authority. Or possibly legitimate international calls that are not to listed countries.

Also I don't know the BT calls packages, but some providers' "unlimited" does not include normal calls to mobiles.

There is clearly something going on of which the OP is not aware.

Edit: A leaked/hacked router WiFi password is another possibility.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 21-Sep-20 16:59:27)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-20 17:34:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If premium calls then changing provider isn't going to help. As you said and has been said before in this thread we need the breakdown of the charges to be able to give any useful advice - without it we are guessing as to what the bill is made up of.

There appears to be a 700 minute plan and an unlimited minutes plan although I do also see references to 500 minutes (my Mum is on the 500 but I am not sure if they have replaced it with the 700 now). All I believe include calls to landlines and mobiles (although obviously not premium calls).

I can't seem to find my way through the website though to work out how much they are.

EDIT : Found something here page 26. 500 minutes is £5 per month, 700 at £7 per month and unlimited at £15 per month. Looks like it is also a 30 day rolling contract so presumably you don't have to do a minimum term for the calling plans.
500 and 700 minutes & Unlimited minutes: UK means calls to Local and National numbers beginning 01, 02, 03 and 05 and calls from Northern Ireland to landlines in the
Republic of Ireland and UK mobile numbers. Excluded calls include non-geographic numbers (e.g. 0871), Premium Rate services, Directory Enquiries, operator-controlled
calls, calls to the internet, information and paging services, other non-voice calls and calls to the Channel Islands
Oddly the unlimited has a fair usage policy of 1000 minutes or 150 calls per month so considering how much more it costs than the 700 minutes it isn't actually that much of an improvement.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 21-Sep-20 17:39:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zaggie
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 01:28:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Oddly the unlimited has a fair usage policy of 1000 minutes or 150 calls per month so considering how much more it costs than the 700 minutes it isn't actually that much of an improvement.

This only applies to calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 13:38:58
Print Post

[re: zaggie] [link to this post]

Thank you for all your helpful comments. I'll let you know how I get on with BT and the two extra PlusNet transactions.

I spent many years in the IT industry -on the technical side when programs were written in IBM assembler and ran within a few KB of memory.

Interfaces between software modules may work 99.9% of the time. A recent example of the 0.1% is the Ebay/PayPal interface. I bought an item on Ebay, paid for it using PayPal but PayPal did not sent the acknowlegement to Ebay. A known problem but I had to threaten the seller with the small claims court before I got a refund.

What I would like to do is to illustrate the BT and PlusNet problems with screen prints as I think this will be invaluable to other TB users.

I could knock up a quick website and provide a link to that web site - unless someone has a better idea...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-20 13:52:21
Print Post

[re: zaggie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zaggie:
In reply to a post by ian72:

This only applies to calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.
Do you have a link to that as from the BT document I quoted it states:
Fair Usage Policy applies: Maximum 1000 minutes or 150 calls a month. If either of these limits on inclusive calls is exceeded, BT will charge for these calls until further
notice.
No mention of 0845 or 0870.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Sep-20 14:56:50
Print Post

Most people copy screen prints to one or other of the many free sites available for such, then post a link to the specific image..

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 22-Sep-20 14:57:21)

Standard User zaggie
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 22:22:36
Print Post

https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residen...

Page 26 of 234 Calling Plans and Popular Call Prices.

Calls to 0845 & 0870 Numbers**

** Fair Usage Policy applies: Maximum 1000 minutes or 150 calls a month. If either of these limits on inclusive calls is exceeded, BT will charge for these calls until further notice.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Sep-20 22:55:20
Print Post

U switch are the worse ever, nightmare on my switch over energy and they mess it up. Not the fault of both energy companies.

AVOID U SWITCH - THEY ARE A PIECE OF [censored]!

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 06:27:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I could not find any free sites. Please could you suggest one ? Many thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to