General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-20 07:07:16
Print Post

BT to PlusNet Nightmare

[link to this post]

BT to PlusNet Nightmare

In over 50 years, PLUSNET Customer Service is the worse I have ever come across. AVOID at all costs.

I have been with BT since the 1980s.

I used uSwitch and discovered there was a saving of £50 per month for the same service: unlimited calls & 36MB broadband.

So I proceeded with the transfer via uSwitch. PlusNet debited my account then everything went fine then right at the end I got a message saying something went wrong and I would receive a welcome message after 24 hours - if not I should phone 0800 432 0080.

I eventually got through to customer services. He seemed eager and was very helpful. He told me nothing had been set up by uSwitch and details would need to be re-entered. He sent the link twice and assured me that only one transaction would be taken from my account and that I would be able to sign into my account after 24 hours. He gave me his email address so I was re-assured.

DISASTER. Plusnet had set up THREE transactions for £31 in my credit card. After a week I STILL cannot sign on with cookies enabled and I tried several browsers and get the same message invalid userid/password.

I contacted the Customer Service man who had help me.

YESTERDAY he emailed me to say: I am unable to reply to customers through personal email. If you have any problems please get in touch on 0800 432 0200.

I have taken some screenshots to substantiate these events.

Today I am going to contact BT and say I want to stay with them, even if it means paying £50 a month more!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-20 09:16:30
Print Post

Re: BT to PlusNet Nightmare

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

Something have certainly gone wrong, sorry to hear you have had so many problems.
You need to phone plusnet again, I find phoning is better than sending emails back and forward anyway.

I know plusnet is cheaper than Bt, but I do wonder what services you have with BT that it cost you £50 a month more, that is a fair bit more per month.
Are you connected to plusnet services yet? If so then that would have to be changed back to B.T

i have been with plusnet for a fair few years now and the majority of the time i have been happy with the service, but then I joined from scratch with a reconnection of the phone line, I am not sure if I would use a service like switch to change broadband, i did use them to change energy company a few years back, that went ok

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 09:58:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Comparison sites should ideally just provide a link to the package on them, if they are taking your actual details and signing up on your behalf that does add another interface with scope for mistakes.

Looks likely this is what has happened here.

Switching energy is usually just a case of billing. details and who reads/gets meter readings, broadband switches can involve physical changes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 20-Sep-20 10:38:18
Print Post

After a week I STILL cannot sign on with cookies enabled and I tried several browsers and get the same message invalid userid/password.
I'm unsure if you mean you can't sign into your account, or onto the internet service, or both.

If it's the internet via your router, a common mistake that I and others made was to put the username into the router incorrectly. It is [email protected], but it's easy to mistakenly put your own email address.

If it's the account itself, IIRC the username for that is just the part before the @ of your email address.

Are you using the Plusnet-supplied router? If so, have you tried a factory reset on it, then trying the auto setup, where it can take over 15 minutes to complete the TR-069 setup?

If the problem is the password, if things are the same as they used to be, then they used to email a password reminder if you go to www.plus.net/forgot password . (Note the full stop between plus and net there).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-20 11:21:57
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In answer to your questions:

I have not got to the router stage; the userid was to sign into my account.

USwitch did not work, neither did the links PlusNet customer services supplied.

The cost for BT is just for the landline with unlimited calls & 36MB broadband. Nothing else. Works out at £80 per month.

I suspect the main difference is customer service.

To sum up, the PlusNet man I dealt with tried to set up an account for me. Contrary to what he told me - my credit card account was debited with three identical sums, when it should have been just one. When I queried this, and the inability to login he seemed unable to rectify it; he emailed me to say he could not help me and that I should contact Customer Services.

It seems extraordinary that he could not sort it out himself when the mistake was PlusNet's and expected me to start all explaining what had happened all over again with Customer Services.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 13:14:41
Print Post

£80 for Fibre Essential with is the 36 Mbps service and unlimited calls

£15/m for unlimited calls and £34.99/m for Fibre Essential once outside the minimum terms is £51/m.

So if your bill is actually £80/m you need to provide a breakdown of what it actually is, as you may be paying for things you don't need/use or need to see what offers are available in return for another minimum term.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 13:17:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Have taken a look at the uswitch site and they do what is normal i.e. affiliate links so once you've clicked that you would have been fully in the Plusnet realm and thus I don't understand why so much talk of uswitch.

Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Sun 20-Sep-20 13:23:27
Print Post

I agree with Andrew: Plusnet accounts software is well capable of screwing up without any additional interface via a third party! I'm now into my seventh year with PN and every contract renewal has hit some snag. Last week's first bill had a £10 overcharge because they had failed to apply the discount I had negotiated on renewal. Such matters aren't helped by the inability to view bills in later versions of Firefox, I have to log in via Edge or Chrome which I don't like.

I phoned on Saturday morning and to my surprise was answered in a couple of seconds rather than the usual 15-20 minutes. The rep could not have been more helpful or apologetic and within 10 minutes I received an email saying the overpayment would be credited to my account within the next five days.

But the main thing is that PN has proved utterly reliable without a minute's downtime in over six years, and the staff are very helpful -- it's not their fault that their software causes constant billing problems.

By the way, hang onto your BT Home Hub if you can. The Plusnet forum has an excellent guide to using the HH6 on PN once you get your connection established. Good luck!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-20 16:19:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Comparison sites should ideally just provide a link to the package on them, if they are taking your actual details and signing up on your behalf that does add another interface with scope for mistakes.

Looks likely this is what has happened here.

Switching energy is usually just a case of billing. details and who reads/gets meter readings, broadband switches can involve physical changes.

I normally use comparison sites just to look at what is available, I do not normally use them to switch, that was the plan when I was looking for another ISP.

i can not remember why I switch energy provider using them, but it went ok.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-20 16:23:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tantalus:
In answer to your questions:

I have not got to the router stage; the userid was to sign into my account.

USwitch did not work, neither did the links PlusNet customer services supplied.

The cost for BT is just for the landline with unlimited calls & 36MB broadband. Nothing else. Works out at £80 per month.

I suspect the main difference is customer service.

To sum up, the PlusNet man I dealt with tried to set up an account for me. Contrary to what he told me - my credit card account was debited with three identical sums, when it should have been just one. When I queried this, and the inability to login he seemed unable to rectify it; he emailed me to say he could not help me and that I should contact Customer Services.

It seems extraordinary that he could not sort it out himself when the mistake was PlusNet's and expected me to start all explaining what had happened all over again with Customer Services.

that is a lot for broadband and landline, I agree with Andrew, maybe you are paying for something you are not using.

BT customer service is awful, I would not pay extra for that I can tell you.
You need to keep on at them, also if the direct debit was a mistake, you can claim that back, a bit of a pain, yes, but it can be done.

touch wood, i have not really had any big problem with Plusnet, in fact they were flipping good when I had problems with the line.

i hope you get it sorted.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-20 10:25:12
Print Post

I have a basic BT package, I have the free BT sport package but nothing more.There was a price increase not so long ago. I have a screen print of the latest quarter, but this forum will not allow me to post it. Figures are as follows: Sept £84.29, Aug £79.61, Jul £62.70.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-20 10:29:20
Print Post

Two reasons. Firstly, I always provide full details of any problem I encounter. Secondly, PlusNet Customer Service said that uswitch had not worked.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-20 10:33:08
Print Post

What is the cost breakdown? The variability suggests you are paying for calls? If that is the case and the calls are a large part of your payment then getting a bolt on for unlimited calls may save you quite a bit. You can also just call BT and ask what they can do for you - they will look at your current package and usage and recommend an alternative - I suspect it will be at least £30 a month cheaper than you are currently paying and quite possibly even more of a saving than that. You would need to agree to a new minimum term but you would need to do that if you move to PlusNet anyway.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Sep-20 10:34:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

+1

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Sep-20 10:44:20
Print Post

USwitch based on what I looked at just link you to the Plusnet website, there is no input of details on the USwitch site which are then passed to Plusnet, everything is typed in on the Plusnet website.

It may be Uswitch has linked to a product page that is actually dead over at Plusnet, but that is something Plusnet should have and redirect you to a live product page before letting you order. Plusnet page links change weekly or so due to the ever changing price offers.

Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-20 10:49:49
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Good advice. I intended to keep the HH6 & configure accordingly.

Poor quality software is something everyone on this forum should be worried about.

Years ago I was with Tiscali who were subsequently taken over by TalkTalk. Soon afterwards I started receiving spoof telephone calls.

Agree with your comments on Edge & Chrome. Interestingly I tried Firefox and IE to sign in. Neither worked.I don't like the way PlusNet updates your cookie settings. BT works with the latest version of Firefox and there is no hassle with cookies.

PS:Wish there was some way to display screen prints on this forum.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 11:40:54
Print Post

I have a basic BT package, I have the free BT sport package but nothing more.There was a price increase not so long ago. I have a screen print of the latest quarter, but this forum will not allow me to post it. Figures are as follows: Sept £84.29, Aug £79.61, Jul £62.70.

Have you spoken to BT retentions? 0800 800 030 - go through options I am considering leaving BT.

On their website, bt.com new customers are getting £29.99 for Fibre 2 which is a 76Mbps download. I have this price point on my second line, and it includes line rental. Out of contract price which it will rise to once my 24-month contract is up, is quoted on my email as £37.99.

I would ask if they can match their online price of £29.99 for fibre 2.

Are you making landline calls? £84.29 seems high and would suggest to me either some calls made or similar. If you are making calls often, consider a package for calls.

Have you had any emails or letters from BT which say we are sorry to see you leave and the PlusNet switchover date? These should be automatically generated if the PlusNet order went through. It will give you the switchover date, and then say "if you contact us within x days, we can stop the transfer."

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 21-Sep-20 11:42:24)

(experienced) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:38:07
Print Post

I came the same road only I didn't get any spoof calls after the TT takeover -- in fact I got nothing at all because the ****s cut me off for almost eight weeks. Whatever they did blocked my line from other providers except for BT who arranged a new BB/phone connection. I stayed with BT for a few years until their charges became uncompetitive, the last straw being an additional monthly charge for their pathetic BT Yahoo email which was open to scammers.

Something is badly wrong if you are paying £80+ per month. Suggest you give PN another chance, accounts hassle is annoying but they offer excellent value for money.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-20 15:47:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Wonderful. You must have read my thoughts.

I've had an email from BT but it did not contain a telephone number. I was going to ask if anyone knew a BT number to ring! In essence it said if you don't want to move: "Just make sure it's before 2pm on 24-Sep-2020 as that's the latest we can change things before you move."

PRIOR to the price increase, the monthly bill was about £62.

We use the phone and broadband very little - around 12 days a month.

Because of this, when BT announced the price increase, I clicked on "the best deal for you" which meant I paid £4.50 for free weekend and evening calls and left it at that. No changes were made to broadband

For some reason, the BT email which lets you know you have a bill ended up in my Google spam file so I did not see I had these enormous monthly charges for two months and immediately switched back to unlimited calls.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 16:07:22
Print Post

That’s good news once BT can see you attempted a switch they can offer better deals usually. Without that on the system they are very limited... This should help (I hope)
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-20 16:38:02
Print Post

So is it all sorted now? Not sure how your bill varied by so much if it wasn't down to calls being made though?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Sep-20 16:58:04
Print Post

Possibly premium rate calls (not necessarily the rip-off 09 series) or texts to destinations such as 83111 (BBC Radio 3) or 61812 (Classic FM), that are not included in even the "unlimited calls" packages.

I wonder if the OP is not checking the detailed bill, in case someone in the household is making such calls without authority. Or possibly legitimate international calls that are not to listed countries.

Also I don't know the BT calls packages, but some providers' "unlimited" does not include normal calls to mobiles.

There is clearly something going on of which the OP is not aware.

Edit: A leaked/hacked router WiFi password is another possibility.

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 21-Sep-20 16:59:27)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-20 17:34:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If premium calls then changing provider isn't going to help. As you said and has been said before in this thread we need the breakdown of the charges to be able to give any useful advice - without it we are guessing as to what the bill is made up of.

There appears to be a 700 minute plan and an unlimited minutes plan although I do also see references to 500 minutes (my Mum is on the 500 but I am not sure if they have replaced it with the 700 now). All I believe include calls to landlines and mobiles (although obviously not premium calls).

I can't seem to find my way through the website though to work out how much they are.

EDIT : Found something here page 26. 500 minutes is £5 per month, 700 at £7 per month and unlimited at £15 per month. Looks like it is also a 30 day rolling contract so presumably you don't have to do a minimum term for the calling plans.
500 and 700 minutes & Unlimited minutes: UK means calls to Local and National numbers beginning 01, 02, 03 and 05 and calls from Northern Ireland to landlines in the
Republic of Ireland and UK mobile numbers. Excluded calls include non-geographic numbers (e.g. 0871), Premium Rate services, Directory Enquiries, operator-controlled
calls, calls to the internet, information and paging services, other non-voice calls and calls to the Channel Islands
Oddly the unlimited has a fair usage policy of 1000 minutes or 150 calls per month so considering how much more it costs than the 700 minutes it isn't actually that much of an improvement.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 21-Sep-20 17:39:46)

Standard User zaggie
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 01:28:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Oddly the unlimited has a fair usage policy of 1000 minutes or 150 calls per month so considering how much more it costs than the 700 minutes it isn't actually that much of an improvement.

This only applies to calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 13:38:58
Print Post

[re: zaggie] [link to this post]

Thank you for all your helpful comments. I'll let you know how I get on with BT and the two extra PlusNet transactions.

I spent many years in the IT industry -on the technical side when programs were written in IBM assembler and ran within a few KB of memory.

Interfaces between software modules may work 99.9% of the time. A recent example of the 0.1% is the Ebay/PayPal interface. I bought an item on Ebay, paid for it using PayPal but PayPal did not sent the acknowlegement to Ebay. A known problem but I had to threaten the seller with the small claims court before I got a refund.

What I would like to do is to illustrate the BT and PlusNet problems with screen prints as I think this will be invaluable to other TB users.

I could knock up a quick website and provide a link to that web site - unless someone has a better idea...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-20 13:52:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by zaggie:

This only applies to calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.
Do you have a link to that as from the BT document I quoted it states:
Fair Usage Policy applies: Maximum 1000 minutes or 150 calls a month. If either of these limits on inclusive calls is exceeded, BT will charge for these calls until further
notice.
No mention of 0845 or 0870.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Sep-20 14:56:50
Print Post

Most people copy screen prints to one or other of the many free sites available for such, then post a link to the specific image..

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 22-Sep-20 14:57:21)

Standard User zaggie
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-20 22:22:36
Print Post

https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residen...

Page 26 of 234 Calling Plans and Popular Call Prices.

Calls to 0845 & 0870 Numbers**

** Fair Usage Policy applies: Maximum 1000 minutes or 150 calls a month. If either of these limits on inclusive calls is exceeded, BT will charge for these calls until further notice.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Sep-20 22:55:20
Print Post

U switch are the worse ever, nightmare on my switch over energy and they mess it up. Not the fault of both energy companies.

AVOID U SWITCH - THEY ARE A PIECE OF [censored]!

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 06:27:30
Print Post

I could not find any free sites. Please could you suggest one ? Many thanks
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 06:39:04
Print Post

Do you mean web hosting sites?

PS: I'm already affiliated to 1&1 (now called IONOS)
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-20 08:00:41
Print Post

Image hosting sites, probably the easiest is https://postimages.org/ as you don't even require an account.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 08:53:32
Print Post

My apologies, looks like I was going "star blind" and miscounted the number of stars against the unlimited package.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 09:29:49
Print Post

I spent 1 hour and 20 minutes on the phone last night.

The first 20 minutes to get through to BT where I spent the next 10 minutes negotiating a new price - exactly the same package as I have at the moment, but less than half the price (~£35). So far so good. The line was clear and there were informative messages every 5 minutes or so.

Then the BT man put me through to PlusNet.

Absolute agony. 30 minutes of listening to distorted, broken up piped music. Eventually I got through. The same distortion and I had had incredible difficulty hearing what he said and vice-versa.

He made a note of the problems I had had, cancelled the three debits to my credit account and the direct debit.

I await to see what actually happens.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 14:39:26
Print Post

https://postimages.org/

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to postimages.org. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 15:07:14
Print Post

Site seems fine https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=posti...

Are you using an ancient browser?
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:28:35
Print Post

https://postimages.org/

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to postimages.org. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

I've been using www.postimages.org for a couple of years and have never had a problem, the site is working properly as i type this. (see below)

https://i.postimg.cc/NFPdw0rz/bbb.jpg

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Wed 23-Sep-20 16:30:03)

Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:30:38
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Quite the contrary. FireFox Version 81.0 (64bit)
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:30:41
Print Post

" which meant I paid £4.50 for free weekend and evening calls "

I thought the free weekend and evening calls were free?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:32:37
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

£4.50 is the BT monthly charge for free evening and weekend call
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:50:15
Print Post

Odd, works for me with Firefox 81.0 (32-bit)
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:55:38
Print Post

Quite the contrary. FireFox Version 81.0 (64bit)

How to Fix SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP on Firefox

What causes the error code ‘SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP’?
Like mentioned before, this error code occurs when in most cases, the server fails to provide proper security mechanism or protocols to the request of the browser, hence, the web page fails to load. However, there are some other reasons as well such as:

Firefox is not updated to the latest version which causes issues when surfing the internet.
SSL3 is disabled on the web browser. Furthermore, TLS can also be disabled which cause the error message.
RC4 support has been completely removed from Firefox and if the website is passing it as a parameter, this error will be prompted.
Before moving to the solutions, make sure that you have administrator privileges and you have a stable internet connection.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-ssl_error_no_cypher_o...
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 18:10:52
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Interesting. We have the same version of FF. (I downloaded the latest V81 this morning). Must be down to different parameter settings. These are my ssl3 & tls settings:

********************************************************************************************************
security.ssl3.dhe_rsa_aes_128_sha false
security.ssl3.dhe_rsa_aes_256_sha false
security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_128_gcm_sha256 true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_128_sha true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_256_gcm_sha384 true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_256_sha true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_chacha20_poly1305_sha256 true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_aes_128_gcm_sha256 true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_aes_128_sha true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_aes_256_gcm_sha384 true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_aes_256_sha true
security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_chacha20_poly1305_sha256 true
security.ssl3.rsa_aes_128_gcm_sha256 true
security.ssl3.rsa_aes_128_sha true
security.ssl3.rsa_aes_256_gcm_sha384 true
security.ssl3.rsa_aes_256_sha true
security.ssl3.rsa_des_ede3_sha true

*******************************************************************************************************

gl.use-tls-is-current 0
media.peerconnection.dtls.version.max 771
media.peerconnection.dtls.version.min 770
network.http.spdy.enforce-tls-profile true
network.http.tls-handshake-timeout 30
network.proxy.proxy_over_tls true
security.tls.enable_0rtt_data true
security.tls.enable_delegated_credentials false
security.tls.enable_post_handshake_auth false
security.tls.hello_downgrade_check true
security.tls.insecure_fallback_hosts www.crosswordclub.co.uk
security.tls.version.enable-deprecated false
security.tls.version.fallback-limit 4
security.tls.version.max 4
security.tls.version.min 3
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Thu 24-Sep-20 05:00:29
Print Post

The BT email was once again sent to the Gmail spam file so I've set up two filters one for [email protected] and the other for [email protected]

In summary these are the details of the "new" package:
Contract is for: 24 months
Estimated download speed: 29 - 36Mbps
Estimated upload speed: 6 - 9 Mbps
Stay Fast download speed is: 23Mbps
700 minutes a month for calls from your landline to UK landlines and UK mobiles.
Calls to service numbers starting with 084, 087, 09 and 118 come with an access charge plus a service charge set by the company you call.

Ongoing charges
700 minutes of calls to any UK landline number or UK mobile, anytime. £7.00
Broadband and Landline £35.99
Special offer discount lasts for 24 months -£8.00
Total ongoing charges £34.99

The same package as I had before but at half the price. A financial bonus for threatening to be disloyal.
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Thu 24-Sep-20 09:13:59
Print Post

The same package as I had before but at half the price. A financial bonus for threatening to be disloyal.

That's how everything works now, utilities, phone, insurance, vehicle recovery, etc.. Loyalty counts for nothing.

In fact, loyal customers who keep paying are fleeced.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
(experienced) Thu 24-Sep-20 10:32:28
Print Post

Well done for squeezing this package from BT. Mine with PN does not include mobile calls but is otherwise identical and costs £31.50pm on 12-month contract.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Sep-20 13:05:51
Print Post

You stated that you've been with BT since the eighties. We switched from BT to Utility Warehouse in 2013 and prior to that the evening and weekend calls were free if you registered with something in BT. No cost involved.

Can't remember what we had to register with. Obviously things change with time but paying way over the odds for anything is not good.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 13:14:50
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

Looks like the FCA are trying to ban the practice for insurance.

I believe Ofcom are pushing it with ISPs as well so that they don't just keep customers forever on overpriced packages.

But, it is at present incumbent on the bill payer to shop around or to ring their current suppliers periodically to get better deals.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:29:41
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

As I could not get image hosting to work, thought I'd try google drive, with a Gmail account I rarely use. Will someone let me know if this works? If it does I'll add the complete set of links. Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MxV4CMTKcrEYGvANTj9...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:32:23
Print Post

I can see it so looks like it is working.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:35:21
Print Post

I can also view it.

Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:38:33
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks. Can you tell me if any personal information is get-at-able?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:41:18
Print Post

About all I can see is that the "owner" is "virgin gym" - I can't see anything else obvious.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Sep-20 18:34:45
Print Post

Looks like the FCA are trying to ban the practice for insurance.

I believe Ofcom are pushing it with ISPs as well so that they don't just keep customers forever on overpriced packages.

But, it is at present incumbent on the bill payer to shop around or to ring their current suppliers periodically to get better deals.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018...

Edit: Maybe if people were already "out of contract" when this came in, the trigger to notify wasn't triggered by default, and of course couldn't be triggered by reaching the end.

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Sep-20 18:36:48)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Sep-20 23:39:10
Print Post

Write a complaint, from their website:

“If you prefer, you can make a complaint by writing to the address below.
To help us deal with your complaint as quickly as possible, we recommend including some information to help us find your account. Things like your username, postcode and telephone number of the service you're complaining about are really helpful.

Once we receive your letter we will respond within 10 working days. If you need a quicker response, please use one of the other methods mentioned above.

Our address is:
Plusnet plc
The Balance
2 Pinfold Street
Sheffield
S1 2GU”

Failing that you can ring NatWest and dispute the transactions, let them know the services were cancelled and the charges are false.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Sep-20 02:00:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

If I read this post correctly, the actual money side is sorted, so no need to involve the bank.

However the level of certainty is not yet known smile.

========================
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Fri 25-Sep-20 06:31:04
Print Post

This will be my last post. Below, I include some of the screen prints of the problems I encountered. I do hope you can pass some of what I have experienced in your forum so it does not get hidden in a thread and forgotten. Two transactions have been cancelled and there is one to go. Many thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.

BT/PlusNet Images

Anyone dealing with any companies should consider two way telephone recording. Always take screen prints as you go. Here are some of my screen prints.

Huge BT Bill for Unlimited Calls and 36MB Broadband
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-wXunaROmYSUA25Fy8s...

uSwitch Failed
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uc-P5H8DFREOv-zgn0j...

Unable to sign on to PlusNet Account with Firefox or IE
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yWPzGVUnGZRtGjEaWFn...

Three PlusNet advance payments for £31
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MxV4CMTKcrEYGvANTj9...

Phoned/emailed PlusNet with above two problems attached. Don't care message follows
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tgM7_vULF4murcag8Sv...

Edited by Tantalus (Fri 25-Sep-20 06:33:30)

Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sun 27-Sep-20 07:57:36
Print Post

PlusNet did not cancel my DD, so I did. Currently owed £31by them. I can live with that.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Sep-20 15:20:00
Print Post

Most ISPs giving refunds are set up to do so by a credit on the direct debit authority. This used to be a major problem for customers who had cancelled the authority on their migration away completion.

Getting manual refunds is messy.

========================
(experienced) Sun 27-Sep-20 17:50:22
Print Post

As Bob says you shouldn't cancel a DD if you have any open transactions. A friend cancelled his BT DD although he was owed about £20. BT would have paid it back as a DD repayment but could not do this because the DD had been cancelled, and both parties had considerable trouble sorting it out.

I'm happy with Plusnet service but given their accounts system for any renewal transaction in my experience, I wish you the best of luck frown
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sun 27-Sep-20 19:08:21
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I have sub-zero confidence in PlusNet software and it's support staff. This way I am limiting my self to a loss of £31 at most.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to