General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Martin_G8EAD
(newbie) Sat 02-Jan-21 17:18:26
Print Post

Re: Newbie Alert... NowTV Openreach NowBroadband

[re: Martin_G8EAD] [link to this post]

[img]https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...[/img]

Static image, strangely fewer dropped packets between 2am and 6am ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Jan-21 17:19:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The BQM posted is bad and does not look like congestion since this is usually time based i.e. invariably improves in the hours of 2am of 6am

Another reason don't think its congestion is that the average latency does not change, when a providers network is busy, the yellow and blue get worse, but you also see the minimum latency increase too.

This could be a line based problem, but it could also be a modem problem, or wiring in the home causing problems.

So back to basics, what service do you have with NOW TV? ADSL2+ or FTTC? What are the connection speeds and attenuation and noise margin figures reported from the NOW TV modem and is the SNR margin varying.

First step if line stats look poor is bypass all internal wiring by running things at the test socket (done properly this will disconnect all the phone extensions in the home).

You also need to check especially if you have ADSL2+ that the problems are not from a device you own doing a constant cloud backup e.g. iCloud on an iPhone uploading lots of big images/videos which on ADSL2+ will take ages due to slow upload. That activity can cause problems for a connection.

Edited by MrSaffron (Sat 02-Jan-21 17:21:02)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Jan-21 18:29:37
Print Post

That is a simply dreadful graph.

The blue area should never occupy the whole space between the green and top/red/yellows like that. For instance, see the various links dotted around in this thread. Particularly this post and how MrSaffron describes it.

Also any other ones you see in that forum or throughout this site.

I think you have a serious fault condition on your circuit, possibly external, possibly internal.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 02-Jan-21 18:30:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alwall
(committed) Sun 03-Jan-21 11:29:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Martin_G8EAD:
Great thinking @derby13 I like the idea of using BT's WCAG compatible website to troubleshoot a NowTV NowBroadband issue! I did know about the test socket, i forgot about it.

I do recall the installation tech needing to extend our old style master socket from the wall of the fri0ont porch, to the far corner of our front room.
I briefly worked as a Trainee Technician Apprentice (TTA) with GPO Telephones. We compared notes on our experiences. Apparently he was not allowed to tuck the cable under the edges of the carpet, as I was trained. Something about Elves and Safe tea ? He did like my wife's Tea.

I have Gmailed that article to my missus / carer, she once changed the alternator in our Ford Focus, (search YouTube, pig of a job) this will be small potatoes in Comparison. She is one in a million.

TL;DR ? Resume here...

I'm not aware of it raining in our front room... Maybe it's indoor temperature related? Turn the CH stat knob to set BB quality? Lol!

Martin

This is a wind up Martin? " Elves and Safe tea ?" 🤣

BTBroadband
(newbie) Mon 04-Jan-21 14:28:26
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

Maybe that Health and Safety part was just a little "tongue in cheek" 😉 But everything else is totally true. This situation is so absurd that if I didn't laugh at it I'd cry 😭
In response to the person who made a comment about my training, I should have put "trained" in quotes. The only formal training I recall, was a two DAY course in London to show us how to wire a standard 3 pole mains plug. Something I had learned from my (ex RAF) father many years prior. I left PO telephones due to total boredom, and after a silly argument with a jumped up supervisor over SIX PENCE that he said I still owed him from advanced subsistence expenses for "training".

Current status: broadband is working well (touch wood) since J relocated the modem to inside the front porch using a refitted master socket, that had been disconnected.
The porch has a CH radiator, that was effing hot at 2am. I should ask J to buy and fit a TRV.

A cable had been added instead, by BT/Openreach* with wires crimped to the incoming armoured cable. That 25 metre extension cable terminated at a new style BT type 4 master socket after running alongside some mains wiring for my lessability stair lift.

I think the summary is now: multiple points of degradation. We now get 27 down and over 2 up 😊

* I believe the young lad said something about sixth call that day, and still two more to go? It seems that ridiculous management are still alive and kicking at GPO Telephones' successors.

Edited by Martin_G8EAD (Tue 05-Jan-21 02:26:00)

(newbie) Tue 05-Jan-21 02:41:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Mr Saffron and I am truly honoured by your presence in my little (so far) thread. I have just now answered part of your suggestion. The test socket at entry to our home had been disconnected and bypassed by BT/Openreach. So my wife J who IS able, not lessabled like myself, reconnected it under my verbal guidance, and our speed results are now much improved!

Now, bearing in mind that much of the TBB mainsite is not WCAG compliant, what exactly would you like me to try next?

The "new" stripped-down p.o.s. that Sky/NowTV supplied instead of a modem does have some diagnostic stats. I can screenshot those, but how can I post the screenshots here?

Or, can you let me have an email address via forum PM ? I promise I won't abuse it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jan-21 14:29:25
Print Post

1. Is the BQM a lot better now?
2. No need for pictures, just sync speed, attenuation and noise margin figures needed ideally from original setup and the new setup

Brevity is often a lot better than crowding posts with lots of other points.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to