General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Airlane
(newbie) Thu 11-Mar-21 10:37:31
Print Post

TalkTalk price increase mid-contract - is this legal?

[link to this post]

I'm five months into a 24-month Faster Fibre contract with TalkTalk. Today they emailed me to tell me the monthly price is rising by 10%. When I signed up, I was not told that the price was variable. It isn't really a contract at all if a company can change the price when they feel like it, surely? Perhaps someone can advise me as TT seem to have no means to contact them on their site.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Mar-21 11:17:35
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk price increase mid-contract - is this legal?

[re: Airlane] [link to this post]

The current TalkTalk Ts&Cs state:
Each year a price increase will be applied to your charges except when we’ve agreed otherwise
with you. We’ll tell you when the price increase applies for each service. The increase will be
rounded to the nearest penny and will be calculated by multiplying your existing charges by the
combined percentage figure of both:
(a) the Consumer Price Index rate figure published by the Office for National Statistics in
January of the relevant year (but not including any negative rates); and
(b) 3.7%.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 11-Mar-21 12:19:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

BT and O2 do likewise - I have just had notification of mine.

The 10% referred to by the OP is rather high considering CPI was 0.8% in January.

I notice that they do not say CPI + 3.7% which would be 4.5%, whereas the "combined" would be 4.5296% - maybe just a small difference but when taken across the who customer bas would give them a tidy sum.

The OP needs to ask TT to justify their increase against te contract.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dean83
(learned) Thu 11-Mar-21 12:57:04
Print Post

[re: Airlane] [link to this post]

Do you have any add ons with them? E.g call plan add ons, call features etc.

If so it could be these increasing by 10%, These can increase during the fixed price contract
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Thu 11-Mar-21 13:16:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

+ Plusnet. But PN did advise me of this increase when I renewed in November.
Standard User burble
(committed) Thu 11-Mar-21 13:23:40
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

A 10% increase, is this 10% added to the price, or do you mean there are increases to parts of the contract which add up to 10%?
I can't get on to TT's offers at moment, but things such as phone deal discounts only last for a few months then they go up to full price, also they are subject to annual price increases.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Mar-21 14:57:41
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
+ Plusnet. But PN did advise me of this increase when I renewed in November.

The Plusnet situation is complex. In the case of my FTTC, I believe the following applies:

" if you signed up to a fixed priced contract prior to the 7th October 2020, your broadband price will be the price you signed up to at the point you took the fixed price contract until the end of your minimum term, at which point these prices will apply."

Given that ISP contracts are generally just up to two years I see no reason why Ofcom does not insure that all fixed price contracts are just that for the length of the contract.

Michael Chare
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Thu 11-Mar-21 15:08:27
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yes, that's my contract too. I quite agree that a fixed length contract should also be at fixed price like most other contracts. If I break it ie by leaving during the term then I have to pay termination charges; if they increase charges they too are breaking contract etc. But we agreed to the mid-term increase when we re-signed for another 18 or 24 months.
  Print Thread

Jump to