General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 26-Mar-21 19:14:28
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media M100 Area Slow

[re: RR_The_IT_Guy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
I would need to check the service agreement as it was years ago however it was their standard Gigabit up and down they call it something UP package as the upload is higher.

If i recall correctly as well i might have done that test while i was streaming on youtube from multiple devices in 4K however can't be sure I think i might have done that to show how it could cope while already under large load.
But as i said the web test never gets above 100 but the desktop gets to around 500 as i am using a usb hub to ethernet adapter as i was on a surface pro.

So is your current French connection Orange FTTP 1000/1000 or 400/400? Has it changed since you tweeted that in mid 2018? Surely not that long ago that you can't recall. How many FTTP connections have you had in Framce the past 3 years?

By the way - why was the tweet on 26 May 2018 yet the speed test taken on 12 February 2017?

The Speedtest result definitely wasn't a symmetric 1000/1000 connection.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RR_The_IT_Guy
(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 21:23:28
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

That's a very good question, chances are that someone asked me to tweet it for whatever reason.
I have had multiple ISP's Nord Net, SFR, SFR at another location using Coax, Orange, Orange at another location, and another provider who i have forgotten.
One of my current connections is Orange FTTP 1000/1000 however orange have said they are going to change that in a few months to 2000/1000 for free.
The provider Nord Net is owned by orange and is the same as above but just cheaper.
The other location is currently SFR Coax 500/50 It was meant to be FTTP however they decided not to bother when they saw the coax was already fitted however this has been done intentionally by my part as the original contract with orange was €100 a month for multiple mobile phone unlimited plans as well as fibre and a number of TV's and a VOIP and Copper (PSTN) line as it cost less back then to have two for international calls.

But to talk about the tweet i am not sure why the only reason i could think that that's the case is because of someone or because I was asked to publicise orange as part of a recontract to lower the costs even more. although i would have to check on that as i only manage digital accounts and am not the account holders for all the separate addresses I get given a budget and work to as its cheaper to have more than one account holder or at least when orange, nordnet and SFR gave a quote it was not worth it compared.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 26-Mar-21 21:39:11
Print Post

So what are your current French broadband connections like? Curious. Got any recent speed tests? Sound like you have multiple properties. Have you connected your props via VPN as you’ve alluded.

What’s your line of business? Do you work for yourself or someone else? Is this you?

https://ramenatteryan.wixsite.com/it-assistance

https://ramenatteryan.wixsite.com/teacherinfo

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:05:36
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Those sites were actually created by someone I know on my behalf more for them to practice before i let them loose on a big site that has major traffic. However I don't own a business or officially work for one it's more comision per job or thing i do, so getting send hardware to repair and upgrade and send back that kind of thing. Remote access to systems via various software Microsoft remote desktop to servers and teamviewer to others.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Mar-21 00:40:58
Print Post

So are your huge number of posts basically intended to advertise your services? If not, why the amount of completely irrelevant stuff you post when your only "problem" is supposedly a congested VM service at home?

I doubt if there is a single person on these forums impressed so far.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Mar-21 13:03:32
Print Post

You regularly state something, intimating this is something you know for sure, but then it is something you have been told or have read and just regurgitated on this forum.

You ought to stop posting as you seem to be making a very bad impression.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
(regular) Mon 29-Mar-21 13:43:34
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I understand that that's why I have not responded to any messages in a few days to avoid that situation again.
I do want to bring to your attention however that i did state the steps I would take if i did ever post. I don't want a bad reputation hence the reason why I am ceasing to post.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Mar-21 13:48:50
Print Post

Unfortunately you are too late.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Mar-21 14:29:19
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Unfortunately you are too late.
No, Its true its not been a good start but people can change their ways especially when they are as young as him. Lets not put nails in his forum coffin quiet yet.

Edited by dect (Mon 29-Mar-21 14:44:01)

(regular) Mon 29-Mar-21 15:25:44
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I did have one question I was wondering if it is okay to ask it here as it is partly about for the future partly linked to my original post and partly not its to do with my internal infrastructure in my LAN and my lack of bandwidth between the bottom and top floor of the house.

I am currently considering different options to connect my office to the floor below in my house, the cables would be run outside (e.g. like VM's clip and hammer approach), I'm tempted to go for MM fibre optics with a breakout box connected to those and another patch cable between those to a switch with 10 gig SPF as uplinks e.g. 2 one for redundancy and extra capacity for the future. I would have large amounts of devices connected and have a NAS and server storage which ideally needs 6Gig of bandwidth internally, gigabit for the NAS and 5 Gig for the Server that caches it each is on a different floor.

Do you think that this would be wise, using fibre for future proofing and if so does anyone know any cheap switches with 10 gig SPF and some SPF modules I had to rule out FS.com due to brexit and tax border force reasons.

My main reason for bringing this up is as I can currently get 200Mbps Max on my two 100 meg uplinks over copper which even with gigabit switches won't go past 100 as the cables are over 15 years old.
(Benchmarked on NetStress)

I currently use two netgear 8 port prosafe switches (GS108E) upstairs each one has a connected PoE TP-Link 802.11.AC access point for wireless networking, my main router is a TP-Link Archer AX90 (AX6600) Tri band router (Router)
All of my access points are allocated Channels manually so I am able to use the same SSID and password which allows seamless roaming similar to a mesh network.

I ultimately want to keep my wireless capabilities the same but just improving the connections between the two switches on the top floor to the samknows whitebox which is currently used to measure network performance on the bottom floor, this is connected to the router using a gigabit connection.

I hope i have explained everything clearly and I hope its okay for this to go under my thread if not let me know?

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to