General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 29-Mar-21 15:59:53
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media M100 Area Slow

[re: RR_The_IT_Guy] [link to this post]

A pair of either MikroTik CRS305 (4 x SFP+ cages & copper) or CRS309 (8 x SFP+ cages & copper) boxes.

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in

Get a few SFP+ single-mode modules, and buy some long pre-terminated fibre patch cords. GbE SFP modules are around a fiver. 10GbE SFP+ modules around £20 and BiDi's are around £30 each. So not totally wallet busting. The fibre is cheap too.

That will give you some decent headroom.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RR_The_IT_Guy
(regular) Mon 29-Mar-21 16:31:45
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks for that I'll take a look at those in more details and I will add those to my excel spreadsheet to calculate cost.
I will definitely rule out copper uplinks as costings are simillier for the distances with fibre.
I am currently considering a few of different options and am deciding based on cost / future costs e.g. the need to increase switch capacity, the cost of cable replacements although not as applicable with fibre as copper is ruled out and requirements e.g. the number of connections via ethernet.

I do value your opinion and this decision is aimed to be made before the end of the year or towards summer when it can be installed.
The main reason that this is not the highest priority is because the local area network still has capacity. Its only at max usage when everyone is sleeping and overnight when backups and antivirus scans are being run.

Thanks for that

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Mar-21 02:29:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
Overall this is all for personal use and not business.
Really?

Also, everything you yap about in this latest post, where as I read it you suddenly already have two 100Mbps upstream connections, will be much cheaper by the time you have any external links to provide matching internet connectivity.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 30-Mar-21 02:29:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 30-Mar-21 10:24:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Really?

Yes as the business has its own dedicated lines completely separated by using multiple SSID's those for personal and business using a domain controller for authentication with VLANS for segregation I can't speak to how the connections are divided exactly as the ISP provided a load balancing router (rack form) that is not handled by me so cannot be sure too much about that however the IPS did say that they used MAC address filtering to only allow the DHCP server for the VLAN and attached devices but I don't know if this is true as I have not checked. That network is handled by someone else as i am not onsite.
But this is irrelevant to my question.

Also, everything you yap about in this latest post, where as I read it you suddenly already have two 100Mbps upstream connections, will be much cheaper by the time you have any external links to provide matching internet connectivity.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly as I was talking about LAN uplinks between floor one and zero not internet connections, as I did state I have a partial gigabit LAN on Floor one however the links to the bottom floor are two 100 Meg links as the cables are old, degraded and obsolete. I am talking about replacing these to 10 Gig uplinks.
I in no way stated anything in regards to Internet connections in my last post, but as I did say to future proof I was talking partially internal bandwidth requirements shifting data around e.g. 2TB backups on a friday night and the limiting factor not being the gigabit switches but the 100 meg capable cables connecting them.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding. I in no way stated that i have a 100Mbps upload I have a 113Mbps Download.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Mar-21 10:58:16
Print Post

So is what I quoted true or not? You continue to post incompatible statements and "facts". What the business connections have to do with your VM line unless they are also at your house is completely unclear.

You need to stop talking about both in the same posts. Especially if they are on different sites, and possibly in France or elsewhere in the world, and you just remote link into them.

From the way you post here, the person really controlling the other sites must get really fed up with you.

You even appear in this post about 2TB on-site backups. Not much use if hacked into, burgled or the building catches fire.

What electrical protections have you got against power failure or a lightning strike mid-backup? How many backup cycles do you run? Why are you running them, not the person controlling the systems. Which site are these backups at?

Almost nothing you post adds up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
(regular) Tue 30-Mar-21 12:34:52
Print Post

Firstly this post was not about backups if it was I would have told you that I have hourly incremental backups and full backups weekly, then i would also have told you that my backup is also then uploaded to Amazon Web services data storage and account data is all synced using Microsoft Onedrive linked to the NAS and no account data is stored onsite without of backup offsite. All data onsite and in transit to Web storage services is encrypted all decryption keys are stored on an isolated system that is not connected to any network. There is a wide range of UPS's except at houses where it's simply too rare to have a power cut or surge (once a year at most) and a surge is 1 in 10.
I'm not going to get into any particulars of why or how exactly as I will have to pull out an action plan and I will be writing explaining for days a 30 page report on system security and I don't want to write neither I imagine you want to read.

From the way you post here, the person really controlling the other sites must get really fed up with you.

Actually they are extremely appreciative as they don't then need to update devices or have to handle Windows, they just handle parts of networking and physical hardware onsite, anything software or Windows can be set up remotely and deployed which has always worked and never caused any issues.

So is what I quoted true or not? You continue to post incompatible statements and "facts". What the business connections have to do with your VM line unless they are also at your house is completely unclear.

The connection was irrelevant in my last post so I'm not sure why you brought that up, a LAN is nothing to do with internet access in that context.
My house as i stated in my last post has a NAS with account data and website hosting stored locally. This is done in the same way as the business because i could copy the config file to save time. Backups are the same except one NAS three backup services (Amazon, Onedrive, Dropbox, sometimes ASUS cloud services) backup that up.
I was using an example of why my local area network is saturated on backup night and not my internet connection.

Almost nothing you post adds up.

It adds up if i go into microscopic details which is simply not worth it for a question about fibre optics uplinks between two rooms in a house.

I know i have gone completely off topic and did not want to, but you asked so I had to explain.
Let's leave it there I don't want to explain any more about what was not related to my last post. Others like @pheasant understood exactly what i meant by what I said which leads me to think that I was clear with my question.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Mar-21 12:58:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
Let's leave it there I don't want to explain any more about what was not related to my last post. Others like @pheasant understood exactly what i meant by what I said which leads me to think that I was clear with my question.
He gave a helpful technical answer to a technical question.

I maintain that the technical question made no sense in the context of your re-confirmation that your home network and connection are primarily for personal rather than business use.

I continue to believe you are just having fun here. Posting garbage to see what happens. Though I do admit to not picking up on:
I did have one question I was wondering if it is okay to ask it here as it is partly about for the future partly linked to my original post and partly not its to do with my internal infrastructure in my LAN and my lack of bandwidth between the bottom and top floor of the house.
I hope i have explained everything clearly and I hope its okay for this to go under my thread if not let me know?
Due to the previous confusion in the thread/topic, it might have been better as a new thread. But that is only my opinion and others may disagree.

Not many home networks have multiple web servers, three VLANs and 12TB off-site storage with an internet connection that uploads nightly at max 10Mbps, presumably the typical daily 40GB downloaded.

========================
(regular) Tue 30-Mar-21 13:51:36
Print Post

Due to the previous confusion in the thread/topic, it might have been better as a new thread. But that is only my opinion and others may disagree.

I was not sure either that's why i did not want to when i thought it might be linked I just did not want to create a new thread when it simply seemed linked. I'm not sure that was just that I was thinking.

I continue to believe you are just having fun here. Posting garbage to see what happens. Though I do admit to not picking up on:

Firstly I have better things to do with my time than to post "garbage" secondly as i have stated I have not posted in a while except to answer questions and for the network fibre question.

Not many home networks have multiple web servers, three VLANs and 12TB off-site storage with an internet connection that uploads nightly at max 10Mbps, presumably the typical daily 40GB downloaded.

Not at all what i said, I said account data which is the largest chunk and is uploaded as files are changed.
Incremental backups are uploaded onto online services every hour and the large weekly or monthly backups depends on what is being backed up. I also said 2TB as an example. I don't backup all 2TB every month. I only backup system images.
I do these as I don't care if i lose data between those as file history handles incremental backups, but besides that I store all accounts on the NAS so no data should be local except programs.
The NAS backups up all data changed on it as it happens or overnight which is like syncing to onedrive on a local PC but also has the advantages of having the cloud storage File history so works in the same way as traditional backups.

So to summarize what i said Backups are partially stored offsite it varies on the data and backup type. All data changes are uploaded as they happen which has online file history which makes restoration easy.

I do understand that but technically anyone with VOIP does have two vlans or at least it's my understanding that its done that way. The daily 40GB is an average over the year.

I can confirm that my home network is for personal use if it was for business it would have more than 254 Devices. I would also have high amounts of data usage 40 gigs is nothing when your steaming and can only get digital radio as there's no FM DAB where I am so that uses 500 megs an hour for every digital radio. I try and stick to using fixed connections and avoiding wireless even if i have unlimited data.
You have 6GB for samknows, 10 gigs for remote desktop for each computer, zoom, teams calls they use loads. 40 Gigs really is a small amount I know VM said that and when i saw what the guy at the end of the street was downloading 500 gigs on games i'm not surprised there are congestion issues. I mean who needs that amount of games and then he uninstalls and reinstalls them weekly as he only has 1TB storage it annoys me he starts the download at the peek on a Thursday / Friday which the graphs show quite well.

But besides that I hope i explained everything.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
(regular) Thu 01-Apr-21 19:32:01
Print Post

Hi all,

An update on the speed issues situation.

Virgin Media have told me the area fault is sorted and have booked me an appointment tomorrow afternoon, they might show up they might not I guess we will see.

I'm surprised they managed to book it with a days notice it normally takes two weeks at best maybe someone canceled.

Sorry to see you're having some issues with your upstream levels, I can see the area issue has now been resolved but there's an ongoing signal issue present on your account. There is an engineer appointment booked in for you for the 10th, would you like me to re schedule this for earlier?

Thanks,

Sofia

Thanks for coming back to me @RR-IT-GUY.

How does Friday from 12pm - 4pm work for you?

Sorry to hear this, this may have to be raised as a separate appointment.

Please let me know so I can get this booked in for you, then I will look into the coax wall socket issue also.

Thanks,

Sofia

At least the Virgin Media community staff answer in less than 15 Mins and actually go lets fix it instead of waiting for over two hours to get told there's no fault.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
(regular) Fri 02-Apr-21 17:09:01
Print Post

HI, all

I thought you might be interested in the outcome, Well the engineer could not lower the signal a lot however he managed to lower it as much as he could with what he had on him on a bank holiday being one of two techs working my area.

He was instructed by his dispatcher in india to go to jobs and if he run out of time to just leave he told them that that's not happening and he will do the jobs probably he said he's not having it and asked me if i heard that and I was like yes his reaction was they expected me to leave a gentleman without any service this morning he said all of his jobs were given the wrong description except mine and he knew me so asked me in advance what it was so I guess knowing the engineers is always good.

Here are the results.

It's worth remembering that he did change some cable lengths for me so that has had a mild impac but its still very good compared to the 16's in power levels.

Downstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
1 331000000 9.5 38 256 qam 25
2 267000000 8.8 38 256 qam 17
3 275000000 9 38 256 qam 18
4 283000000 9 38 256 qam 19
5 291000000 9 38 256 qam 20
6 299000000 9.3 38 256 qam 21
7 307000000 9.1 38 256 qam 22
8 315000000 9 38 256 qam 23
9 323000000 9.3 38 256 qam 24
10 371000000 8.5 38 256 qam 26