General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 02-Apr-21 17:47:24
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media M100 Area Slow

[re: RR_The_IT_Guy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
however Subnets are an area I do know about that's why I use the 10.0.0.1-254 currently, so if needed i can expand without losing all my static IP's which i would if i used the 192.168.0.1-254.

I mean, I'm sure I can't hold a candle to a genius intellect such as your own, but you're definitely not limited to "192.168.0.1-254". You much also be the first person who "knows about subnets" that I've met that would express it like that rather than 192.168.0.0/24.

But you can use a /16 in that address space. I use a /23 at home, one /24 being the DHCP pool and one /24 for static IPs.

If 65535 IPs is not enough you should probably just use IPv6.
Standard User jpm
(member) Fri 02-Apr-21 17:54:40
Print Post

Isn't your problem less to do with the downstream signal levels being too high (which can be fixed by dropping an attenuator in), and more that your upstream modulations aren't able to hit 64QAM which indicates noise in your network segment.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 02-Apr-21 17:57:11
Print Post

I did have one question I was wondering if it is okay to ask it here as it is partly about for the future partly linked to my original post and partly not its to do with my internal infrastructure in my LAN and my lack of bandwidth between the bottom and top floor of the house.

I am currently considering different options to connect my office to the floor below in my house, the cables would be run outside (e.g. like VM's clip and hammer approach), I'm tempted to go for MM fibre optics with a breakout box connected to those and another patch cable between those to a switch with 10 gig SPF as uplinks e.g. 2 one for redundancy and extra capacity for the future. I would have large amounts of devices connected and have a NAS and server storage which ideally needs 6Gig of bandwidth internally, gigabit for the NAS and 5 Gig for the Server that caches it each is on a different floor.

Do you think that this would be wise, using fibre for future proofing and if so does anyone know any cheap switches with 10 gig SPF and some SPF modules I had to rule out FS.com due to brexit and tax border force reasons.

My main reason for bringing this up is as I can currently get 200Mbps Max on my two 100 meg uplinks over copper which even with gigabit switches won't go past 100 as the cables are over 15 years old.
(Benchmarked on NetStress)

I currently use two netgear 8 port prosafe switches (GS108E) upstairs each one has a connected PoE TP-Link 802.11.AC access point for wireless networking, my main router is a TP-Link Archer AX90 (AX6600) Tri band router (Router)
All of my access points are allocated Channels manually so I am able to use the same SSID and password which allows seamless roaming similar to a mesh network.

I ultimately want to keep my wireless capabilities the same but just improving the connections between the two switches on the top floor to the samknows whitebox which is currently used to measure network performance on the bottom floor, this is connected to the router using a gigabit connection.

I hope i have explained everything clearly and I hope its okay for this to go under my thread if not let me know?

This must be one of those rare areas you're not an expert. I can tell by the way you keep saying "10 gig SPF" rather than SFP+.

If you're installing cabling outside clipped direct it needs to be outdoor rated or UV light will turn it to dust. You can get UV rated fibre cables.

I'd suggest SMF, OS2, rather than MMF. It's significantly more future proof and the cost of the optics is similar. It also gives you the ability to double the bandwidth without additional cable runs if you need, by using WDM/BiDi optics.

The cheap option for a 10G switch is the Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN, which is 4 ports of SFP+, and a single RJ45 1 gigabit ethernet that can power the switch via PoE.

If you decide you want 10G networking to devices, pick up some old Mellanox cards on ebay. I'd strongly suggest the ConnectX-3 cards, the ConnectX-2s are really old now. Be careful to get an SFP+ or 2xSFP+ ethernet version, not an infiniband or QSFP+ version. Although, with a QSFP+ port you can use a breakout cable to go to 1-4 SFP+ ports or an adaptor to use an SFP+ module.

Linitx are one UK mikrotik reseller. There are others.

FS.com are really good for optics. If you keep the order under £135 post brexit customs are less of an issue.

Edited by nemeth782 (Fri 02-Apr-21 17:59:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RR_The_IT_Guy
(regular) Fri 02-Apr-21 18:17:08
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

I mean the original issue was with Signal levels after a RG11 install although I did not notice what you said as this has all be done today an attenuator was added today.

I mean would the noise be coming say electric lines next to the internal coax or would it more likely be a core touching the outer jacket (can't remember the terminology) of the cable as all the cables have been replaced this year.
From the router to the cab.

Is it possible the noise could be caused by other lines feeing back in the system?

Do you think I should send the engineer a text asking him what he thinks about the modulation and if he can check it on the VM staff app?

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
(regular) Fri 02-Apr-21 18:33:55
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

This must be one of those rare areas you're not an expert. I can tell by the way you keep saying "10 gig SFP" rather than SFP+

I did know that however I did not feel it was required for me to add that as obviously SFP is slower and does not support 10 gig or that's to my knowledge.

Thanks for your advice here I will make a copy and add it to my spreadsheet and cost it up when I get some time.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping

Edited by RR_The_IT_Guy (Fri 02-Apr-21 18:46:35)

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 02-Apr-21 18:40:11
Print Post

This must be one of those rare areas you're not an expert. I can tell by the way you keep saying "10 gig SPF" rather than SFP+

I did know that however I did not feel it was required for me to add that as obviously SPF is slower and does not support 10 gig or that's to my knowledge.

Thanks for your advice here I will make a copy and add it to my spreadsheet and cost it up when I get some time.

Remember it’s not sunscreen (SPF) but an optical networking module (SFP) - small factor pluggable.

You should hopefully have the mikrotik’s on your spreadsheet as I gave them to you on Monday 😎

Good luck young man.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 02-Apr-21 18:42:19
Print Post

This must be one of those rare areas you're not an expert. I can tell by the way you keep saying "10 gig SPF" rather than SFP+

I did know that however I did not feel it was required for me to add that as obviously SPF is slower and does not support 10 gig or that's to my knowledge.

SFP, Small Formfactor Pluggable, is 1.25gbit signalling rate, for 1gbit ethernet, be that over Cat5 or MMF/SMF, whatever.

SFP+, is a 16gbit channel, up to 10 gigabit ethernet, or other protocols such as fibre channel at other data rates.

QSFP+, "Quad SFP+", is 4x16 gigabit channels, for 40 Gigabit ethernet (or can be split into 4 10G ethernet connections). Again, non-ethernet protocols are supported.

SFP28, with 28 gigabit signalling rate, is for 25 gigabit ethernet.

QSFP28, you can probably guess, 100 Gigabit ethernet

There are then other more esoteric DD versions for up to 400Gbit ethernet.

SPF isn't a thing. Except in sunscreen.

SFP modules can, generally, go in SFP, SFP+, and SFP28 ports. SFP+ modules can go in SFP+ and SFP28 ports, again, generally. You can get little carriers to put an SFP+ module into a QSFP+ port (it only connects one of the channels).

But as with all enterprise gear, your mileage may vary somewhat, there are vendor locks to worry about, etc. Cisco kit that only likes specific Cisco SFP modules, etc.

The mikrotik switches are relatively open, although mine don't like the Ubiquti SFP modules I have (1G RJ45). The Mellanox network cards basically accept anything, although even that's not a guarantee. Best to stick as close as you can.

Edited by nemeth782 (Fri 02-Apr-21 18:47:23)

(regular) Fri 02-Apr-21 18:50:39
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

SPF isn't a thing. Except in sunscreen.

I am aware I was more flustered with my new line noise issue that has been created to fix another issue. It's literally never ending you deal with Power levels that are too high then you end up with modulation issues then something else, I literally have a list of all the issues that need fixing we did most the list then new problems were created Wow there are so many issues.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Fri 02-Apr-21 18:56:52
Print Post

That's life, you've got to deal with it.smile
(regular) Fri 02-Apr-21 18:58:59
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

You have a point there it is I just forgot, I have not had time to look through the spreadsheet fully as that's not the most important thing at the current time. Getting fully working internet connections would be the thing I would love however thats a hard task.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to