User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jun-11 09:44:02
Print Post

Re: Yet Another Price Increase!

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
I looked at porting my phone number, but most companies aren't interested. If you include the price of a new BT line in the figures then it's not worth switching. VOIP providers seem better value, but then you have to buy a new handset or software.
It certainly isn't worth swapping to BT as the BB price does increase by ~ £10 depending on package. By using a cashback site you can largely recover the upfront cost of moving to Vonage. Their UK package costs £6. You just plug your phone into their ATA which plugs into your router and that's it. You can typically save £3 by dropping the VM phone line and £2 on callerid (which I had) That means free anytime geographic calls cost £1 or so a month and that would be £8 or maybe £9 now on VM. 0845 etc. are cheaper on Vonage than VM too. If you actually use your landline Vonage work out cheaper. If ou don't there is a direct £3(ish) saving by ditching the phone.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-11 11:36:10
Print Post

Six months down the line and the line rental is going up 91p. frown

How many of you are getting over 20% wage increases every six months to cover this?

Given that Virgin Media aren't 100% of my costs it's not an issue.

Sadly there's no divine right to have earnings increases outpace prices, sometimes it rolls that way and sometimes it doesn't.

ISP board or not there are far bigger increases in cost of living elsewhere. If unhappy with the price rises take your business elsewhere as is your right.
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Sun 26-Jun-11 13:31:37
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
If unhappy with the price rises take your business elsewhere as is your right.

The trouble is most ISPs seem to have a setup/installation fee that negates the savings you make when switching. You can't just switch from a VM phone line anyway, you'd have to have a new line installed as other providers do not recognise VM as a phone service provider!

---
Keef- Dartford Kent UK - VirginMedia 10M
My Broadband Speed Test
Previously - Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise,
Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, NTL, Pipex, E7
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(experienced) Sun 26-Jun-11 13:34:19
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.

In my case I think any phone line savings would be eaten up by VM increasing the BB charge as I am currently (or should be) on a package deal.

---
My Broadband Speed Test
===========
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Sun 26-Jun-11 13:39:11
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by drogon:
Surprised you think most companies are not intersted

Lack of replies to new sales enquiries are what I would class as "not interested". Glad you have found companies that are. Perhaps you could share your good experiences?

the ATA's are usually about £50 if bought separately)

Someone above suggested they may not be required; so it might be worth looking at again.

---
My Broadband Speed Test
===========
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Jun-11 16:33:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
If unhappy with the price rises take your business elsewhere as is your right.

The trouble is most ISPs seem to have a setup/installation fee that negates the savings you make when switching. You can't just switch from a VM phone line anyway, you'd have to have a new line installed as other providers do not recognise VM as a phone service provider!

Yes - it costs them money to set you up so either you pay for it up-front as a fee or you pay for it with a higher monthly subscription.

A VM phone line indeed cannot be used for ADSL, to take another operator a new line would be required.
Standard User drogon
(regular) Sun 26-Jun-11 19:27:58
Print Post

Surprised you think most companies are not intersted

Lack of replies to new sales enquiries are what I would class as "not interested". Glad you have found companies that are. Perhaps you could share your good experiences?

Well - I run a VoIP company, however I really only cater to business clients, so it's unlikely my site would come up in searches, however Gradwell, Sipgate and Telappliant are all companies that I know can port Virgin numbers in. I've ported in quite a few so-far.

However, it is possible that your number is still one of the few that aren't portable though, most are, but not all yet. If you want to email or PM me your number, I can check.

the ATA's are usually about £50 if bought separately)

Someone above suggested they may not be required; so it might be worth looking at again.

You need *something* and that could be a PC with the right software - however that sort of ties you to a PC... However one device I have used with good results is the Gigaset range of IP DECT phones. Basically the base station connects to both a standard phone line and Ethernet (ie. your LAN going to your router) and the handsets can talk to either line - they now support up to 6 SIP accounts too if you like to chop and change. I suggest these for people who work from home - you can have the home phone on all handsets and your "office" number on just one handset - and it's possible to select which account to make outgoing calls on too.

Even if not looking to go VoIP right now, they're good all-round DECT phones - well worth considering if you need new cordless phones round the house. They are a bit more than a standard DECT system though - entry level is (again) about 50 quid for base plus first handset (From e.g. ww.voipon.co.uk)

G
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jun-11 19:47:26
Print Post

In my case I think any phone line savings would be eaten up by VM increasing the BB charge as I am currently (or should be) on a package deal.
Rather than making assumptions about pricing why not check with VM. The only way you'll pay more for BB alone than BB+Phone is if you are on some special discount. All standard pricing gives a saving by dropping the phone line.

I'm getting the distinct impression that your main aim is to keep your thread moaning about VM going rather than actually do something to save any money.
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Mon 27-Jun-11 17:22:56
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
Rather than making assumptions about pricing why not check with VM.

I'm having problems getting replies to billing enquiries as it is. But you are right there *should* be someone to give you an answer and stick to it!

---
My Broadband Speed Test
===========
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Mon 27-Jun-11 17:24:37
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

it is possible that your number is still one of the few that aren't portable though, most are, but not all yet. If you want to email or PM me your number, I can check.

I'll do that; thanks.

& cheers for the extra info.

---
My Broadband Speed Test
===========
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to