User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 27-May-15 11:37:32
Print Post

Re: Super Hub - leave on 24/7 or turn off?

[re: JBR] [link to this post]

Sounds almost like a REIN issue in the premises could be sending out a spike of electrical interference, which knocks out the wifi signal.

Something like a DVR box spooling up, Sky box getting a update, heck even the Samsung Tivo boxes causes a lot of static when they fire up to record something. Might be worth seeing what is clicking on in your house when the drop outs occur.
Standard User JBR
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 13:57:08
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bryer:
Sounds almost like a REIN issue in the premises could be sending out a spike of electrical interference, which knocks out the wifi signal.

Something like a DVR box spooling up, Sky box getting a update, heck even the Samsung Tivo boxes causes a lot of static when they fire up to record something. Might be worth seeing what is clicking on in your house when the drop outs occur.

Now that's an interesting idea.

We have a couple of DVD recorders, but no Sky or Tivo. I'll keep an eye out for that sort of thing in future. Then there's the fridge-freezer, of course. Could that also be responsible?

I Googled REIN (and SHINE) and found these phenomena interesting. No-one else has mentioned them before. Incidentally, we have no telephone line: we use VOIP.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 27-May-15 17:45:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by JBR:
In reply to a post by Bryer:

Now that's an interesting idea.

We have a couple of DVD recorders, but no Sky or Tivo. I'll keep an eye out for that sort of thing in future. Then there's the fridge-freezer, of course. Could that also be responsible?

I Googled REIN (and SHINE) and found these phenomena interesting. No-one else has mentioned them before. Incidentally, we have no telephone line: we use VOIP.

Any electrical appliance could cause REIN.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-May-15 18:08:08
Print Post

Is it a Superhub 1 or 2?

EDIT: If SuperHub 1, I am willing to automatically rule out your PC, REIN etc and immediately point my finger at the Superhub. I personally had 100s of issues with every superhub I had (I had numerous). It is a terrible router.

It is ironic that it is named the Superhub as it caused me more issues than any device I ever used.

In my time I have used NETGEAR DG834G, 834GT, Sky's Netgear 934G, Skys Sagem Router, Both Sky Hubs, Apple Airport Express & Extreme, Netgear WNDR3700, Homehub 2,3,4 and 5, Belkin N900, Aruba Networks (multiple), DSR-250N, Speedtouch 585, WNR2000 and probably 10+ more devices. All of these devices were flawless, plug in - forget about them.

Interestingly Virgin originally gave me a modem and a WNR2000 device, this worked flawlessly and I would have uptimes of 200+ days with this setup.

They then replaced my perfect setup with the Superhub.
I had the following issues (and many more small niggles):
Everything would work fine then,
1) Devices would not connect at all over Wireless. The Network was visible but a connection was not possible.
2) Devices would show "limited or no connectivity" on wireless whilst wired worked fine
3) The Superhub would reset to factory settings on its own accord
4) The Superhub would become unresponsive entirely - both wired and wireless
5) The superhub would stop allocating IP addresses over DHCP, I would get 169 IP addresses. Setting a static IP would make it work
6) The router GUI would crash, it would be impossible to access the routers administration pages without a reboot
7) Wireless performance often dropped to sub 2Mbps speeds with multiple devices connected
8) The blue light would flash so brightly that it would blind me.

There were more issues but those are the largest ones.

All of the above issues required a reboot at least once a day. The replacements did not fix it. I left virginmedia as I lost a lot of respect for them after providing such a poor device.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 27-May-15 18:21:12)

Standard User JBR
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 18:21:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I believe it's a SH1.

(Although some people have suggested it's [SH1*!!)

Edited by JBR (Wed 27-May-15 18:23:33)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-May-15 18:22:15
Print Post

Refer to my edited post above. Does it relate to you?
Standard User JBR
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 18:28:08
Print Post

Wow, you have had problems!

Thankfully, mine doesn't exhibit all of those; just the one of occasional 'no internet connection'.

I'll call them back in a few days and insist on a replacement or an engineer's visit (already suggested by the last person I spoke to).

If the problems persist, I could always buy my own wireless router if I wasn't so tight-fisted!
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-May-15 18:33:46
Print Post

I demand a lot out of my routers, I have approximately 20 devices connecting. If there's an issue I find it. I also do not reboot ever - I have had over 6 months uptime with my Sky router in the past. I also have 4K streaming over my connection (via WiFI) which is highly demanding...

The only reboot is a powercut.

I got the Superhub in the early days when the Firmware was not "ironed out." At that point in time there was a lot of discussion in Virgins forums (which they incidentally removed) which discussed hardware flaws in the Superhub.

At the time it was agreed that no firmware upgrade would make the device work flawlessly.

It was virgins first "attempt" at integrating both a router and their modem into one device, they had previously just supplied third party bog standard devices (same as you could buy in PCWorld). It didn't go so well for them the new approach...

I personally believe that VM should have recalled all of the devices.
I have just checked my cupboard - I had 5 of these routers over the years.

I would strongly advise against getting another one... Try to get the Superhub 2, I've seen a few with an uptime over 1 month.

REIN - whilst possible, given my past hands-on experience with the superhub I just feel it is more likely to be that causing you grief. REIN would affect the connection instead of the WiFI surely?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 27-May-15 18:40:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-May-15 18:37:46
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Wi-Fi is at the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and very unlikely to be affected by REIN particularly electrical appliance sources.

If noise is that bad I would expect there to be other symptons with electrical hardware in the home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JBR
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 19:57:56
Print Post

I'll see if I can persuade them to give me an SH2, then.

I suppose that will depend on to whom I get to speak.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to