User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Sep-11 19:31:16
Print Post

Re: Thinking of changing to VM 100mb line? feedback pls

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

Well have our install date , should have it in and running on Tuesday 20/9/11 between 8am to 1 PM ...cant be to soon, our Internet went off on Sunday and it only came back on today, dealing with SKY a total nightmare.

I

| It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over. .|

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Sep-11 09:11:26
Print Post

[re: Wab] [link to this post]

Would I see any real difference between the 100MB v the 50 MB was thinking about this last night, tho need to check the price difference to see if its worth changing, one other thing what is the upload speed for a 100MB is it the same as the 50 MB which is 5 MB?

I also download the odd movie and quite a few TV series from p2p (legal site)
at the most maybe 20GB A month

Would this get throttled at any time?

There are some months where my D/L may reach 50 or 60GB but thats when I download games ..i.e SW.ToR (beta).

Last question is there any way to check the line contention in my area? (NN4)

| It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over. .|

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 15-Sep-11 09:23:02
Print Post

The price difference is £10 per month. 100 Mb comes with 10 Mb upload. P2P/Usenet (legal or otherwise) is throttled for most of the day on all packages. You'll be lucky to get more than a couple of meg. (There are workarounds for usenet not sure about p2p.)

John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Sep-11 09:25:53
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sark:
The price difference is £10 per month. 100 Mb comes with 10 Mb upload. P2P/Usenet (legal or otherwise) is throttled for most of the day on all packages. You'll be lucky to get more than a couple of meg. (There are workarounds for usenet not sure about p2p.)

Cheers at £10 its not worth swapping will stick with a 100mb.

mm not sure I like it that all p2p is throttled. I thought it was just at certain times?

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 09:34:19
Print Post

I have 50Mbps in the NN4 area and it is fine. I personally wouldn't bother with 100Mbps and may well downgrade to 30Mbps sometime - I upgraded from 20 to 50 before 30 was announced.

The only time you'll see a difference between 100 and 50 (or 30 for that matter) is when doing a non-shaped download which it seems you don't actually do much of.

P2P shaping times are 5 t midnight weekdays and midday to midnight weekends. How fast you can get depends on local network load.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Thu 15-Sep-11 10:04:17)

Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Sep-11 10:37:53
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
I have 50Mbps in the NN4 area and it is fine. I personally wouldn't bother with 100Mbps and may well downgrade to 30Mbps sometime - I upgraded from 20 to 50 before 30 was announced.

The only time you'll see a difference between 100 and 50 (or 30 for that matter) is when doing a non-shaped download which it seems you don't actually do much of.

P2P shaping times are 5 t midnight weekdays and midday to midnight weekends. How fast you can get depends on local network load.

Is that 5pm to midnight?

whats your contention like my full post code is NN49YH

|noneLLU|nonenone |

Edited by Wab (Thu 15-Sep-11 13:48:28)

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 14:31:09
Print Post

Yes 5pm.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/...

Well we live far enough apart to be on different local segments I expect but certainly mine will deliver 6MBps downloads from a decent source pretty much any time I try it and the speedtest.net london server always shows me close to 50Mbps down and somewhere over 4Mbps up. The TBB speedtest is usually < 30Mbps at any time but I've no idea why.

If it doesn't measure up then you can invoke the 28 (or 30??) day happiness guarantee.

BTW strangely 100Mbps isn't exactly double 50Mbps because 50 is set at 53 and I think 100 is actually set at close to 100 so the overheads drop the 50Mbps to to around 50Mbps but on 100Mbps you'll probably see nearer 96Mbps.
Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Sep-11 12:26:42
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
Yes 5pm.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/...

Well we live far enough apart to be on different local segments I expect but certainly mine will deliver 6MBps downloads from a decent source pretty much any time I try it and the speedtest.net london server always shows me close to 50Mbps down and somewhere over 4Mbps up. The TBB speedtest is usually < 30Mbps at any time but I've no idea why.

If it doesn't measure up then you can invoke the 28 (or 30??) day happiness guarantee.

BTW strangely 100Mbps isn't exactly double 50Mbps because 50 is set at 53 and I think 100 is actually set at close to 100 so the overheads drop the 50Mbps to to around 50Mbps but on 100Mbps you'll probably see nearer 96Mbps.

Cheers for reply, I would be more than happy with those speeds compared to what I have smile..ar best my line for this week has got to 2.6MB

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Sep-11 10:25:46
Print Post

Installed and running now, will drop some speed test in later

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-11 01:13:14
Print Post

Date of Speed Test: 2011-09-21 01:11:07
Download Speed: 92087 kbps (11510.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 9066 kbps (1133.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

speed test smile

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to