User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Nov-11 17:22:26
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media or ADSL

[re: pbaker38] [link to this post]

Very good service, I used to have the 50mbit service which was fantastic. Moved a couple of streets away and no VM service, and back to [censored] ADSL.

Went from 50meg which was flawless pretty much all of the time to ADSL2+ which syncs at 10meg if I'm lucky. Intermittent line fault that took 3 months of o2 and BT passing back to each other.

For me the big pros of VM are:
1) Faster all round. Sure, you will get congestion in some areas but I would be surprised to see 50meg fall to less than 10meg on a regular basis, which is probably the average ADSL2+ sync speed in urban areas.
2) Ownership of problems -- if something is broken, VM can't blame openreach. Generally makes things a lot quicker to get solved.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 17-Nov-11 18:45:59
Print Post

[re: hollows2] [link to this post]

Sorry to rain on the parade, however for balance, I can confidently say full VM was the worst experience to date. They could not set a direct debit, cancelled my service for 5 days every month for the entire 12 months, constantly blamed my bank, even with me going to the bank in person on numerous occasions setting it up. At the time their tops, up to 20 Meg got to be around up to 3meg and the worst gaming experience to date.

All I can say thank you for ADSL twice the speed of what VM gave me and lot less abuse from other gamers. Now out of the urban mire still with a faster connection, around 100 miles away from the nearest full VM area, even if they laid their pipes to my front door just for me it would be a "No Chance".

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Thu 17-Nov-11 18:47:11)

Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Sat 19-Nov-11 06:31:03
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

I have VM 50Mbps. The reliability is good and speeds fairly consistent at 45+ over Ethernet. BUT the Superhub is a disappointment if you want good wireless speeds unless you're prepared to buy your own router and use the hub as a modem with a bit of not-too-difficult fiddling. Remember to insist on your free wireless N dongle (if your package includes one) as they 'forget' it unless you ask. CS are OK but not the best I've encountered. Overall I'd go for it if you like the price - maybe a bit on the expensive side, especially the 100Mbps deal.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
VM 50 Mbps
IE9

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000
Netgear 2200 via BT line (8Mbs).
BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User w4man
(freechataholic) Sun 20-Nov-11 19:26:30
Print Post

[re: pbaker38] [link to this post]

Reliability is OK, customer service is absolutely useless.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to