User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-12 23:19:41
Print Post

Re: 100mb virgin connection

[re: anon123456] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by anon123456:
That seems fair to me, if you want better speeds then pay more money, the network isn't run for free they need to pay off their running and investment costs, the people on the top tier like me are paying a lot of money for their connections, my 50mbit connection is about £40 a month which in a world of broadband which is often free with certain phone packages, is quite a lot of money.

Again I think most of the VM problems are local to some areas, i don't know what sort of percentage of their customers are in these problem areas I suspect it's probably small however, I do see some whining on tech forums but it tends to be from a bunch of people in one area, it eventually gets upgraded and it all dies down.

I don't see usage that is something that really heavily changes based on package speed, people who torrent a load of stuff are going to torrent that stuff irrelevant of their speed, the speed just decides over what period of time the network becomes congested, torrenting a 350mb TV episode on 100mbit for example is a burst download of about 30 seconds assuming full speed, it lowers the odds of that 30s clashing with someone elses download when you knock it through at much faster speeds.

This idea of usage increasing in direct proportion to available speed is a bit of a false idea, I think there will be some increase and we can't say exactly what that is but I suspect it's significantly less than the actual speed increase.

For example if you're on a 50mbit and you're downloading say 50Gb a month, then going to 100mbit isn't likely to cause you to now be download 100Gb per month. and the flipside which is I don't think people who download a lot, say 300gb per month are going to download any less if they're downgraded or capped they're still going to cause that throughput just over a longer period of time, instead of ragging out a 350 TV episode in 30s they'll simply do it over an hour or whatever it takes.

if they got half of their homes to get 100mbps they would be making 546 million a month. Sorry which part of VM is strapped for cash? they pay their debts of very wel - infact the upgrades is costing them 100 million.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Jan-12 09:26:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

VM claim that they shape P2P. They also claim to shape NNTP.

I've seen many reports that evading the VM NNTP shaping is as simple as using encryption or even just using port 443 unencrypted. Purchased VPN services will counter P2P shaping as well as anonymising.

I don't use news or P2P so am not sure of the exact mechanisms or how fast purchased VPN services are but judging by the speed with which my area deteriorated somebody local to me could give me some good answers on that.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-12 10:02:34
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

If VPN use grows to avoid other management, then the response may be more FUP reductions, something Virgin has used on its products for some time.

An ISP cannot see what you are doing on a VPN, but when it sees 1000's of endpoints ending on the subnet and that is outside the UK, e.g. Russia it is not hard to figure out what the reason is.

Oddly some seem happy to pay for a VPN to access films, when subscription sources are appearing.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Jan-12 21:23:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If VPN use grows to avoid other management, then the response may be more FUP reductions, something Virgin has used on its products for some time.

An ISP cannot see what you are doing on a VPN, but when it sees 1000's of endpoints ending on the subnet and that is outside the UK, e.g. Russia it is not hard to figure out what the reason is.

Oddly some seem happy to pay for a VPN to access films, when subscription sources are appearing.

The rumours are that the current traffic shaping is to be scrapped and a new method will be rolled out which isnt portocol based so ALL traffic will be throttled based on 2 conditions.

Utilisation of local UBR
How heavy the user is using the connection.

So it will be dynamic and it wont be evadable as it will effect all types of traffic.

What hasnt been indicated is when this is happening, if its uploads and downloads, if its all day or just peak, and if STM is also going to be scrapped, I suspect yes on the latter as this is closish to STM except a dynamic version.

The traffic management VM use now is not up to the job that is clear as night and day.

Also to the guy a couple of posts up, it seems you dont understand whats happening if you think 100mbit users have barely no strain on the network, not to mention you think its as simple as paying more money to get more speed, kwikbreaks had to downgrade since his higher package wasnt giving him that speed.

Do you think top tier customers are paying what they paying so they can do 30 secs of downloading?

Also usage patterns are always going upwards its niave to think otherwise and it especially happens when people get upgraded speeds.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 18-Jan-12 22:00:31
Print Post

Nothing is able to compete with 1080p x264 high-bitrate rips.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-12 05:59:08
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I have never hidden the fact that I download mainly via FTP. I do seed/use usenet 24/7/365 but that's on a dedicated server in France. I only FTP on my VM connection and that's usually done for 15-20 minutes a day.

I would never do this on my VM connection. I know I have to share the connection there but i dont on my dedi. I'd also never do the amount of monthly transfer I do on my dedi on my VM connection (20TB roughly)

I am not considerate but I understand how it all works and I know that heavy users bend over the network and [censored] it.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 19-Jan-12 05:59:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to