User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-11 16:44:47
Print Post

Re: 100 MBIT Speed Increase

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Some AV systems result in causing spiky plots of data from a connection. tbbmeter in TCP/UDP monitoring mode can show this, particularly if you run it at high sample speeds, rather than its standard 1 second sample.

This is how sometimes some testers give a speed above the actual connections maximum possible speed, or in the case of Kaspersky some versions were consistently double the speed.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Mon 19-Dec-11 16:47:49
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link smile

tbh it's not really about what 'i feel' i need if you no what i mean...it's simply making sure my back is covered.simple as that..

my eset firewall gives me that added protection regarding inbound and outbound connections.

VirginMedia100 TiVo1TB
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Mon 19-Dec-11 16:50:39
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Software can only do so much. Modern malware defeats most of it in a couple of seconds. Correcting human behaviour is the only real solution.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Mon 19-Dec-11 17:06:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

I actually find that my active security suite slows my connection down slightly as i mentioned before and i also found in the past that other av software had the same effect,some more than others.for example when doing download speed tests using Avira av it could slow down my connection by as much as 50%.

this had me thinking and in my opinion most if not all people that do speedtests will probably still have their current av running at the time of the test,so that in turn will give them false results to what their actual connection is running at ..

it could explain why a lot of people don't think they are getting what they are paying for,when in reality if all firewalls and av software suits were disabled the results could be much closer to the actual product they bought..

disclaimer: i am not suggesting anyone reading this should disable the security software they have installed smile

VirginMedia100 TiVo1TB
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Mon 19-Dec-11 17:14:17
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
Software can only do so much. Modern malware defeats most of it in a couple of seconds. Correcting human behaviour is the only real solution.

i agree 100% with you there... modern Malware succeeds mainly because of the amount of naive users...malware just exploits this..

VirginMedia100 TiVo1TB
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to