User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Apr-12 20:19:24
Print Post

Re: They really have stuffed this up.

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pete_thomson:
Why did you go back to them?

Good point. I'm waiting for Infinity before I leave but once I've gone there will most certainly be no returning for me.
Ever.
Anywhere.
No matter what.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Apr-12 22:20:12
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

or sky?

uncontended and unlimited probably could be done with high enough prices and if the company didnt spend so heavily on marketing as well as the debt sit has.

However realistically it should probably be a usage limited service around 250gig month on its top tier and no protocol shaping.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:44:33
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pete_thomson:
Why did you go back to them?

You did nothing but complain about how poor they were a few years ago..... glutton for punishment?

it wasent [censored] a few years ago! and you sure that was me? my 50mbps ran like a dream/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:45:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
or sky?

uncontended and unlimited probably could be done with high enough prices and if the company didnt spend so heavily on marketing as well as the debt sit has.

However realistically it should probably be a usage limited service around 250gig month on its top tier and no protocol shaping.

or something lke PN and have 12-8am not included.

that would work!
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:47:22
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Those that want a super fast speed to download films (legal or illegal),etc and complain that they can't, probably because others are doing exactly the same need to get out more.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to have a reasonable connection speed and nip to Blockbuster for a few DVDs?

I don't download anything illegal. And I suggest you stop accusing people. I am a gamer and all I want to do is to download some games.
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:48:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes that's true. I said before there have been a few vans floating around - probably installing.

It just seems odd it was fine until the 2nd. What a [censored] network if 1 brings it down.

We are going to downgrade anyway to make the termination fee as little as possible.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 06:03:32
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Yes that's true. I said before there have been a few vans floating around - probably installing.

It just seems odd it was fine until the 2nd. What a [censored] network if 1 brings it down.

We are going to downgrade anyway to make the termination fee as little as possible.

VM don't allow downgrades only upgrades while in contract how ever the max you pay for early termination is £180 (or is short contract w/e is left) so if you've got 9 months left on 100meg you'd pay £180 instead of £225 (based on 100meg been £25),
And if you've got other services as well then £180 instead of the price of all of them added together.

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-12 07:25:28
Print Post

Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem.

The situation is not unlike the old Tiscali Datastream days which had all the same moans and they did 100 x 1 Mbps onto 2 Mbps, and calmly advertised 50:1 contention.

VM for downloading - but something else for the latency critical stuff perhaps?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-12 08:41:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem

A segment is more like 200+ modems but most of the DOCSIS3 segments are made up of 30Mbps connections. It's selling the 100Mbps unlimited that crippled VM - mine was fine on 50Mbps until they did that then one day it all fell over in a heap with abysmal speeds being the norm. I'm pretty much sure that the speed of onset proves it was unlimited torrent seeding by a single user that caused it as the segment only has 18Mbps upstream. P2P shaping isn't very well implemented by VM but using a VPN service will escape it on most ISPs anyway - it's just that most ISPs don't allow a single customer to use over half of the upstream allocated to their neighbourhood.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Mon 16-Apr-12 08:42:39)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 09:15:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
or sky?

or something lke PN and have 12-8am not included.

that would work!

It isn't? is that going to help you though?

I hope when this STM does come in I might actually get my allowances at full speed. it's crazy i cant download after 12 as I HAVE A LIFE!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to