User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 09:21:06
Print Post

Re: They really have stuffed this up.

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
In reply to a post by broadband66:
Those that want a super fast speed to download films (legal or illegal),etc and complain that they can't, probably because others are doing exactly the same need to get out more.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to have a reasonable connection speed and nip to Blockbuster for a few DVDs?

I don't download anything illegal. And I suggest you stop accusing people. I am a gamer and all I want to do is to download some games.

Are we really going to do this again Pete? I still remember you claiming you were legitimately downloading 200GB/day from newsgroups as you were pre-viewing conversions and more recently discussing Usenet downloading and how you do more than 1TB/month. The average-large game is around the 10GB mark and it seems unlikely you're re-downloading your entire collection every month, and regardless Usenet isn't a legitimate download source.

We know you use heavily on occasion it's obviously not legit and it isn't illegal to download the stuff.

EDIT: Actually if I remember rightly you were saying that STM wouldn't affect you as you download in the early hours? You're complaining now about having a life and not being able to download after midnight but are advocating a Plusnet-style unlimited period between 12 midnight and 8am which is unmanaged anyway?

Bit confused lots of conflicting statements - please clarify?

Edited by Ignitionnet (Mon 16-Apr-12 09:25:51)

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Apr-12 11:22:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by pete_thomson:
Why did you go back to them?

You did nothing but complain about how poor they were a few years ago..... glutton for punishment?

it wasent [censored] a few years ago! and you sure that was me? my 50mbps ran like a dream/

Must have been someone else with the same username.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 13:02:33
Print Post

Didn't imply that you did download anything illegal. To me having a life isn't stuck on a computer downloading and playing games.

Surely a gamer would download a single game and spend the next few days trying to defeat the baddies. Then download another. Why would you need constant high speed access to the internet?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:52:03
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Things change, lifestyles change. jobs change.

Theres no point in discussing this with anyone who thinks that there is no possible way anything from NNTP could be legal.

I'd best contact EA and Rockstar and tell them that their dev NNTP servers are all illegal because 2 people on a forum think so.

Games that I am working on are a lot less than they used to be - around 6-8GB once completed. Still I have to work on 2-3 at a time in order to actually make something. Hence the need for large downloads overnight.

But some of them require updates in the day.

I know. I know - get a leased line or unmanaged service blah blah blah.

I would if Big Red Internet would answer my [censored] sales enquiries!

oh and by the way - for me anyway it's still slow even at 4am!. So because everyone's jumping on it at night VM have made it slow 24/7 by recommending people do this!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 16-Apr-12 16:05:01)

(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:53:32
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by broadband66:
Those that want a super fast speed to download films (legal or illegal),etc and complain that they can't, probably because others are doing exactly the same need to get out more.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to have a reasonable connection speed and nip to Blockbuster for a few DVDs?

I don't download anything illegal. And I suggest you stop accusing people. I am a gamer and all I want to do is to download some games.

Are we really going to do this again Pete? I still remember you claiming you were legitimately downloading 200GB/day from newsgroups as you were pre-viewing conversions and more recently discussing Usenet downloading and how you do more than 1TB/month. The average-large game is around the 10GB mark and it seems unlikely you're re-downloading your entire collection every month, and regardless Usenet isn't a legitimate download source.

We know you use heavily on occasion it's obviously not legit and it isn't illegal to download the stuff.

EDIT: Actually if I remember rightly you were saying that STM wouldn't affect you as you download in the early hours? You're complaining now about having a life and not being able to download after midnight but are advocating a Plusnet-style unlimited period between 12 midnight and 8am which is unmanaged anyway?

Bit confused lots of conflicting statements - please clarify?

No we aren't. No point with the VM fanboys like you is there!

I know you Looooove VM and dam anyone who uses it to do more than facebook. Oh well, simple answer is to bin them.
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:54:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem.

The situation is not unlike the old Tiscali Datastream days which had all the same moans and they did 100 x 1 Mbps onto 2 Mbps, and calmly advertised 50:1 contention.

VM for downloading - but something else for the latency critical stuff perhaps?

Thank you - you explain it in such an nno aggressive and defensive way - unlike others on here..

I don't suffer from latency issues on VM (yet) but I do have a backup business line for that stuff just in case. I don't use it much but I know that it's there.
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:56:15
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem

A segment is more like 200+ modems but most of the DOCSIS3 segments are made up of 30Mbps connections. It's selling the 100Mbps unlimited that crippled VM - mine was fine on 50Mbps until they did that then one day it all fell over in a heap with abysmal speeds being the norm. I'm pretty much sure that the speed of onset proves it was unlimited torrent seeding by a single user that caused it as the segment only has 18Mbps upstream. P2P shaping isn't very well implemented by VM but using a VPN service will escape it on most ISPs anyway - it's just that most ISPs don't allow a single customer to use over half of the upstream allocated to their neighbourhood.

it was fine on 100 until 2nd of April. As I have said before my 50 was also good.

I have never used a torrent, I never will. I don't believe in it. I use a VPN but don't we all?
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:58:20
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Yes that's true. I said before there have been a few vans floating around - probably installing.

It just seems odd it was fine until the 2nd. What a [censored] network if 1 brings it down.

We are going to downgrade anyway to make the termination fee as little as possible.

VM don't allow downgrades only upgrades while in contract how ever the max you pay for early termination is £180 (or is short contract w/e is left) so if you've got 9 months left on 100meg you'd pay £180 instead of £225 (based on 100meg been £25),
And if you've got other services as well then £180 instead of the price of all of them added together.

Ash

Thanks Ash, that's new.

I only have BB with them..

I can see why mobile providers have that system - giving a brand new and expensive phone out.. but for VM to do it does seem extreme.. They aren't losing anything but the BW they are supplying which is being paid for anyway
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 16:17:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Yes that's true. I said before there have been a few vans floating around - probably installing.

It just seems odd it was fine until the 2nd. What a [censored] network if 1 brings it down.

We are going to downgrade anyway to make the termination fee as little as possible.

VM don't allow downgrades only upgrades while in contract how ever the max you pay for early termination is £180 (or is short contract w/e is left) so if you've got 9 months left on 100meg you'd pay £180 instead of £225 (based on 100meg been £25),
And if you've got other services as well then £180 instead of the price of all of them added together.

Ash

Thanks Ash, that's new.

I only have BB with them..

I can see why mobile providers have that system - giving a brand new and expensive phone out.. but for VM to do it does seem extreme.. They aren't losing anything but the BW they are supplying which is being paid for anyway

Yea i know what ya mean its stupid but that £180 was a small price to pay for me I had 100meg TIVO XL and phone and 16 month left on an 18month contract.

We was with vm for 16 years threw all the various cable company's had to leave needed save a few quid so down graded onto a cheaper ADSL 6 months later things changed and was able to get all the services back rung VM up reactivated the old account ordered the services got 6 months half price so all good.

First bill comes 100 quid more than it should of been they had not applied the deal and even added some on for install even though it was meant to be free rung up oh were really sorry about that don't worry ill get it sorted now and it will be knocked off before you bill is due so fair dos bill date they took 150 out of the bank instead of 42,
Gets back on phone oh sorry we couldn't do the discount in time well apply it from now and knock that money off your second bill, Second bill went out of bank 150 again me W.T.F rung up again after 20 mins on phone arguing they said well it was your fault for not following up and making sure it got applied.

So i told um to stuff off come pick their rubbish hardware up (tivo nothing like the USA one so was disappointed with that to start with and the super hub worst router in existence of this earth lol)

So in end ended up paying £180 just to leave them and be done and from now on id rather end up on half a meg and no TV what so ever than ever touch VM again (if they were the only options obviously) rather of payed hat £180 than end up paying over a grand to them over contract for a [censored] service.

Might i also add when i had 50meg rock solid service 100meg always ended up more on 50 anyway so should of just gone back to 50 lol

Sorry for the little essay there

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 17:40:17
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

HI Ash,

no hat's cool.

As I said at in the OP I was told I had no grounds to complain because i had a price reduction and was in line with 50meg ers and maybe they are right.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

yes that's cheaper. I thought it was £60 per item upto a max of 180 for 3 services?

We are only on a 12 month contract.

I'm looking around - i do like all the facilities that Big Red offer like the browser based RTM but I am sure they are not the only ones.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to