User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 15:11:15
Print Post

They really have stuffed this up.

[link to this post]

So we join on 100mbps - get given a price decrease we didn't ask for and now because of this reason I am told I have no grounds to complain if I log on like i have now and im not getting any more than 50mbps.. I have literally turned my superhub on 10 mins ago!

I hope when this STM does come in I might actually get my allowances at full speed. it's crazy i cant download after 12 as I HAVE A LIFE!

so people who go from 50-100 get a bonus boost and those already on 100 get throttled back to 50 so getting service cut in half - but are expected to like it!

totaly [censored]!
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 15:52:33
Print Post

Re: They really have stuffed this up.

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

ftp down from my webspace 7.4mbps.. hmm ran at full speed before the 2nd of APril 24/7

But ofcourse it'll be the webspace server and a million other [censored] reasons as to why it's not their crippling traffic management

Oh dear..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Apr-12 15:54:26
Print Post

Sunday is a busy internet day, and Sky AnyTime+ launch will have had some effect, as will Netflix, Lovefilm Instant

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Apr-12 16:16:01
Print Post

How long has your contract got to run? If it's new you might be able to get out based on the change but VM probably have it all wrapped up in section 47 subsection 36 paragraph f on page 237 of the contract with a termination penalty charge of £500, castration, your first born, and expulsion from the Boy Scouts or Brownies for any other children.
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 17:04:32
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

we are about 3 months in.

right now my Mifi is running 2mbps faster.
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 17:05:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sunday is a busy internet day, and Sky AnyTime+ launch will have had some effect, as will Netflix, Lovefilm Instant

all which were running before the 2nd of April I am sure. People have been able to download from Sky on the web for years as you know.

Maybe we should downgrade seeing as we never get more than 60mbps anyway
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Apr-12 17:22:59
Print Post

AnyTime+ arrived for all providers 21st March.
Yes other methods have been available, but the integration with the settop box means its more likely to be watched.

At the end of the day your issue may just be local congestion, and nothing to do with STM etc. Only takes one new 100 Meg user who decides to leave torrents uploading 24/7 to eat a good chunk of the upstream capacity

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-12 18:16:10
Print Post

Those that want a super fast speed to download films (legal or illegal),etc and complain that they can't, probably because others are doing exactly the same need to get out more.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to have a reasonable connection speed and nip to Blockbuster for a few DVDs?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 19:05:25
Print Post

What did you expect? It wasn't going to stay unlimited and un-traffic shaped for ever, it's a residential contended service after all.

Get a 1:1 leased line if you need that level of service.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-12 19:56:36
Print Post

Why did you go back to them?

You did nothing but complain about how poor they were a few years ago..... glutton for punishment?

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Apr-12 20:19:24
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pete_thomson:

Good point. I'm waiting for Infinity before I leave but once I've gone there will most certainly be no returning for me.
Ever.
Anywhere.
No matter what.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Apr-12 22:20:12
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

or sky?

uncontended and unlimited probably could be done with high enough prices and if the company didnt spend so heavily on marketing as well as the debt sit has.

However realistically it should probably be a usage limited service around 250gig month on its top tier and no protocol shaping.
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:44:33
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

You did nothing but complain about how poor they were a few years ago..... glutton for punishment?

it wasent [censored] a few years ago! and you sure that was me? my 50mbps ran like a dream/
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:45:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
or sky?

uncontended and unlimited probably could be done with high enough prices and if the company didnt spend so heavily on marketing as well as the debt sit has.

However realistically it should probably be a usage limited service around 250gig month on its top tier and no protocol shaping.

or something lke PN and have 12-8am not included.

that would work!
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:47:22
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Those that want a super fast speed to download films (legal or illegal),etc and complain that they can't, probably because others are doing exactly the same need to get out more.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to have a reasonable connection speed and nip to Blockbuster for a few DVDs?

I don't download anything illegal. And I suggest you stop accusing people. I am a gamer and all I want to do is to download some games.
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-12 23:48:58
Print Post

Yes that's true. I said before there have been a few vans floating around - probably installing.

It just seems odd it was fine until the 2nd. What a [censored] network if 1 brings it down.

We are going to downgrade anyway to make the termination fee as little as possible.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 06:03:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Yes that's true. I said before there have been a few vans floating around - probably installing.

It just seems odd it was fine until the 2nd. What a [censored] network if 1 brings it down.

We are going to downgrade anyway to make the termination fee as little as possible.

VM don't allow downgrades only upgrades while in contract how ever the max you pay for early termination is £180 (or is short contract w/e is left) so if you've got 9 months left on 100meg you'd pay £180 instead of £225 (based on 100meg been £25),
And if you've got other services as well then £180 instead of the price of all of them added together.

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-12 07:25:28
Print Post

Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem.

The situation is not unlike the old Tiscali Datastream days which had all the same moans and they did 100 x 1 Mbps onto 2 Mbps, and calmly advertised 50:1 contention.

VM for downloading - but something else for the latency critical stuff perhaps?

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-12 08:41:40
Print Post

Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem

A segment is more like 200+ modems but most of the DOCSIS3 segments are made up of 30Mbps connections. It's selling the 100Mbps unlimited that crippled VM - mine was fine on 50Mbps until they did that then one day it all fell over in a heap with abysmal speeds being the norm. I'm pretty much sure that the speed of onset proves it was unlimited torrent seeding by a single user that caused it as the segment only has 18Mbps upstream. P2P shaping isn't very well implemented by VM but using a VPN service will escape it on most ISPs anyway - it's just that most ISPs don't allow a single customer to use over half of the upstream allocated to their neighbourhood.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Mon 16-Apr-12 08:42:39)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 09:15:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
or sky?

or something lke PN and have 12-8am not included.

that would work!

It isn't? is that going to help you though?

I hope when this STM does come in I might actually get my allowances at full speed. it's crazy i cant download after 12 as I HAVE A LIFE!
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 09:21:06
Print Post

I don't download anything illegal. And I suggest you stop accusing people. I am a gamer and all I want to do is to download some games.

Are we really going to do this again Pete? I still remember you claiming you were legitimately downloading 200GB/day from newsgroups as you were pre-viewing conversions and more recently discussing Usenet downloading and how you do more than 1TB/month. The average-large game is around the 10GB mark and it seems unlikely you're re-downloading your entire collection every month, and regardless Usenet isn't a legitimate download source.

We know you use heavily on occasion it's obviously not legit and it isn't illegal to download the stuff.

EDIT: Actually if I remember rightly you were saying that STM wouldn't affect you as you download in the early hours? You're complaining now about having a life and not being able to download after midnight but are advocating a Plusnet-style unlimited period between 12 midnight and 8am which is unmanaged anyway?

Bit confused lots of conflicting statements - please clarify?

Edited by Ignitionnet (Mon 16-Apr-12 09:25:51)

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Apr-12 11:22:08
Print Post

it wasent [censored] a few years ago! and you sure that was me? my 50mbps ran like a dream/

Must have been someone else with the same username.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 13:02:33
Print Post

Didn't imply that you did download anything illegal. To me having a life isn't stuck on a computer downloading and playing games.

Surely a gamer would download a single game and spend the next few days trying to defeat the baddies. Then download another. Why would you need constant high speed access to the internet?

Now O2 standard
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:52:03
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Things change, lifestyles change. jobs change.

Theres no point in discussing this with anyone who thinks that there is no possible way anything from NNTP could be legal.

I'd best contact EA and Rockstar and tell them that their dev NNTP servers are all illegal because 2 people on a forum think so.

Games that I am working on are a lot less than they used to be - around 6-8GB once completed. Still I have to work on 2-3 at a time in order to actually make something. Hence the need for large downloads overnight.

But some of them require updates in the day.

I know. I know - get a leased line or unmanaged service blah blah blah.

I would if Big Red Internet would answer my [censored] sales enquiries!

oh and by the way - for me anyway it's still slow even at 4am!. So because everyone's jumping on it at night VM have made it slow 24/7 by recommending people do this!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 16-Apr-12 16:05:01)

(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:53:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Are we really going to do this again Pete? I still remember you claiming you were legitimately downloading 200GB/day from newsgroups as you were pre-viewing conversions and more recently discussing Usenet downloading and how you do more than 1TB/month. The average-large game is around the 10GB mark and it seems unlikely you're re-downloading your entire collection every month, and regardless Usenet isn't a legitimate download source.

We know you use heavily on occasion it's obviously not legit and it isn't illegal to download the stuff.

EDIT: Actually if I remember rightly you were saying that STM wouldn't affect you as you download in the early hours? You're complaining now about having a life and not being able to download after midnight but are advocating a Plusnet-style unlimited period between 12 midnight and 8am which is unmanaged anyway?

No we aren't. No point with the VM fanboys like you is there!

I know you Looooove VM and dam anyone who uses it to do more than facebook. Oh well, simple answer is to bin them.
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:54:57
Print Post

Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem.

The situation is not unlike the old Tiscali Datastream days which had all the same moans and they did 100 x 1 Mbps onto 2 Mbps, and calmly advertised 50:1 contention.

VM for downloading - but something else for the latency critical stuff perhaps?

Thank you - you explain it in such an nno aggressive and defensive way - unlike others on here..

I don't suffer from latency issues on VM (yet) but I do have a backup business line for that stuff just in case. I don't use it much but I know that it's there.
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:56:15
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
Currently its something like 200 Mbps per cable segment, so if you've got 4 x 100 Meg users, plus 10 x 50 Meg,, plus 20 x 30 Meg you can see how it could be a problem

A segment is more like 200+ modems but most of the DOCSIS3 segments are made up of 30Mbps connections. It's selling the 100Mbps unlimited that crippled VM - mine was fine on 50Mbps until they did that then one day it all fell over in a heap with abysmal speeds being the norm. I'm pretty much sure that the speed of onset proves it was unlimited torrent seeding by a single user that caused it as the segment only has 18Mbps upstream. P2P shaping isn't very well implemented by VM but using a VPN service will escape it on most ISPs anyway - it's just that most ISPs don't allow a single customer to use over half of the upstream allocated to their neighbourhood.

it was fine on 100 until 2nd of April. As I have said before my 50 was also good.

I have never used a torrent, I never will. I don't believe in it. I use a VPN but don't we all?
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:58:20
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:

VM don't allow downgrades only upgrades while in contract how ever the max you pay for early termination is £180 (or is short contract w/e is left) so if you've got 9 months left on 100meg you'd pay £180 instead of £225 (based on 100meg been £25),
And if you've got other services as well then £180 instead of the price of all of them added together.

Ash

Thanks Ash, that's new.

I only have BB with them..

I can see why mobile providers have that system - giving a brand new and expensive phone out.. but for VM to do it does seem extreme.. They aren't losing anything but the BW they are supplying which is being paid for anyway
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 16:17:09
Print Post

Ash

Thanks Ash, that's new.

I only have BB with them..

I can see why mobile providers have that system - giving a brand new and expensive phone out.. but for VM to do it does seem extreme.. They aren't losing anything but the BW they are supplying which is being paid for anyway

Yea i know what ya mean its stupid but that £180 was a small price to pay for me I had 100meg TIVO XL and phone and 16 month left on an 18month contract.

We was with vm for 16 years threw all the various cable company's had to leave needed save a few quid so down graded onto a cheaper ADSL 6 months later things changed and was able to get all the services back rung VM up reactivated the old account ordered the services got 6 months half price so all good.

First bill comes 100 quid more than it should of been they had not applied the deal and even added some on for install even though it was meant to be free rung up oh were really sorry about that don't worry ill get it sorted now and it will be knocked off before you bill is due so fair dos bill date they took 150 out of the bank instead of 42,
Gets back on phone oh sorry we couldn't do the discount in time well apply it from now and knock that money off your second bill, Second bill went out of bank 150 again me W.T.F rung up again after 20 mins on phone arguing they said well it was your fault for not following up and making sure it got applied.

So i told um to stuff off come pick their rubbish hardware up (tivo nothing like the USA one so was disappointed with that to start with and the super hub worst router in existence of this earth lol)

So in end ended up paying £180 just to leave them and be done and from now on id rather end up on half a meg and no TV what so ever than ever touch VM again (if they were the only options obviously) rather of payed hat £180 than end up paying over a grand to them over contract for a [censored] service.

Might i also add when i had 50meg rock solid service 100meg always ended up more on 50 anyway so should of just gone back to 50 lol

Sorry for the little essay there

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 17:40:17
Print Post

HI Ash,

no hat's cool.

As I said at in the OP I was told I had no grounds to complain because i had a price reduction and was in line with 50meg ers and maybe they are right.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

yes that's cheaper. I thought it was £60 per item upto a max of 180 for 3 services?

We are only on a 12 month contract.

I'm looking around - i do like all the facilities that Big Red offer like the browser based RTM but I am sure they are not the only ones.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 17:48:28
Print Post

HI Ash,

no hat's cool.

As I said at in the OP I was told I had no grounds to complain because i had a price reduction and was in line with 50meg ers and maybe they are right.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

yes that's cheaper. I thought it was £60 per item upto a max of 180 for 3 services?

We are only on a 12 month contract.

I'm looking around - i do like all the facilities that Big Red offer like the browser based RTM but I am sure they are not the only ones.

Not sure about that i had all 3 so was just £180 if it is per item them even better for you lol would only be £60 you'd have to ring up about it

I do miss the days of Telewest though in all the years it was Telewest we had 1 downtime for 10 mins thats for phone TV and broadband as soon as VM took over the service got slowly worse TV started dropping broadband and phone not so bad odd drop out on broadband but all the traffic shaping and STM's and stuff they introduced was just [censored] lol,
The only reason i stuck with them was they were the only option for broadband with speeds over 20meg but with the introduction of FTTC once it hits past 50% coverage i can see VM losing a hell of a lot of custom especially for people who only ever upgrade to 100meg to get the 10up.

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 16-Apr-12 17:49:45)

(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 18:05:52
Print Post

I am one of the people who upgraded to get the 10 up and it's why I am staying for now.

Can't get FTTC - can't wait until that changes.

I can only imagine (as discussed before) TW cained it so much they went bust and that being unlimited and unshaped was the worst thing they could ever have been..

BT are already overtaking VM with upload. It must be nice to have an ISP who actually cares- not just wants to be the fastest down - because when it's crippled to 2-3mbps down then it means nothing.

I watch friends' on BT and Sky to see what affect everyone jumping on there actually has.
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 18:37:22
Print Post

6:35 right now.

getting nice 101mbps on speedtests..

34 on HTTP downloads.
4 on NNTP
dont do torrents.
1.2MB/sec from Steam so about 12mbps.
YouTube buffering.

Time for bed soon - [censored] awesome! so glad! frown
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 18:39:48
Print Post

I am one of the people who upgraded to get the 10 up and it's why I am staying for now.

I can only imagine (as discussed before) TW cained it so much they went bust and that being unlimited and unshaped was the worst thing they could ever have been..

BT are already overtaking VM with upload. It must be nice to have an ISP who actually cares- not just wants to be the fastest down - because when it's crippled to 2-3mbps down then it means nothing.

I watch friends' on BT and Sky to see what affect everyone jumping on there actually has.

Im with a company called littlebigone.com on FTTC (not BT open reach FTTC its called digital region network in south Yorkshire) as you can see here my router syncs at about 60meg and 25 up give or take a few kkkksss lol £25 a month

Im currently caped at 44/11 because on that that package at the end of this month im upgrading to their new faster package which will unlock the speed mainly for upload im happy with the 44 diwn i get.
Im also having their ip tv installed next week wich reserves 15meg when watching it so the extra down speed from the upgrade will do for tv still leaving 55meg for pc, consolesm etc but ill get the 25 up too (i run a windows home server and use it while on the go to get files from it so fater the better lol)

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 16-Apr-12 18:40:48)

(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 18:57:09
Print Post

Sounds like a good deal there. I couldn't get it when I lived in Sheffield but I wish I could have!

I think my problem sort of lies with the security suite I am using. I've been looking on the VM community forums and it seems there's big threads about that. I'm getting faster now without anything on that I did before running PC in safe mode.

This is the first time i've ever got a half decent result from this sites speed tester.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13345...

Can you recommend a good firewall/ AV that does not mess up connections? I'm convinced that was my problem

Nice browser wrapper - You on the beta? smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 16-Apr-12 19:01:56)

(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 20:18:25
Print Post

Im with a company called littlebigone.com on FTTC (not BT open reach FTTC its called digital region network in south Yorkshire) as you can see here my router syncs at about 60meg and 25 up give or take a few kkkksss lol £25 a month

Im currently caped at 44/11 because on that that package at the end of this month im upgrading to their new faster package which will unlock the speed mainly for upload im happy with the 44 diwn i get.
Im also having their ip tv installed next week wich reserves 15meg when watching it so the extra down speed from the upgrade will do for tv still leaving 55meg for pc, consolesm etc but ill get the 25 up too (i run a windows home server and use it while on the go to get files from it so fater the better lol)

Ash

Thought it might be my machine so I got on to the guys on the Digital Home Support service. After about 15 minutes he told me my machine although 64 bit capable was struggling and to put it back to 32bit if I could

so I did.

For the first time ever I got 9.1mbps on an speedtest upload on speedtest.net

Never got more than 5 before. Also seem to have ESET business edition on the system. in max protection it seems to be working ok

so maybe it was 64 bit for this machine with the terrible terrible VM security that did it!?

I rang VM and as we thought - £60 for us to cancel.. so I know if I want to I can smile
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 20:20:42
Print Post

Sounds like a good deal there. I couldn't get it when I lived in Sheffield but I wish I could have!

I think my problem sort of lies with the security suite I am using. I've been looking on the VM community forums and it seems there's big threads about that. I'm getting faster now without anything on that I did before running PC in safe mode.

This is the first time i've ever got a half decent result from this sites speed tester.

Can you recommend a good firewall/ AV that does not mess up connections? I'm convinced that was my problem

Antivirus wise i cant fault avast its free and very good Microsoft security essentials as got quite good over the years too firewall wise i dont bother with 3rd party ones i just use the built in windows one and the routers own.

I am / am not on the beta i signed up to the annual pass and was told id be getting beta access but there doing it in waves depending when you bought the pass there doing a new batch tomorrow so am holding out hoping to get on tomorrow my m8 got his last week he signed up for annual pass 3 week before i did smile

EDIT

just say second reply good news about the £60 fee better than £180 ive never had a problem with 64 bit os and speed tests ive been using 64bit os since xp 64bit
i dont rate the VM security program at all i tried it it blocked things it shouldn't, didn't block things it should and it was a right system recourse hog for what it dose

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 16-Apr-12 20:24:12)

(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-12 20:52:06
Print Post

Antivirus wise i cant fault avast its free and very good Microsoft security essentials as got quite good over the years too firewall wise i dont bother with 3rd party ones i just use the built in windows one and the routers own.

I am / am not on the beta i signed up to the annual pass and was told id be getting beta access but there doing it in waves depending when you bought the pass there doing a new batch tomorrow so am holding out hoping to get on tomorrow my m8 got his last week he signed up for annual pass 3 week before i did smile

EDIT

just say second reply good news about the £60 fee better than £180 ive never had a problem with 64 bit os and speed tests ive been using 64bit os since xp 64bit
i dont rate the VM security program at all i tried it it blocked things it shouldn't, didn't block things it should and it was a right system recourse hog for what it dose

Ash

I got my invite about a week ago smile

Well all I have installed now is the services manager and the home support. the rest I wont touch!
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 01:29:37
Print Post

Working fine now - full speed.

Will see what it's like later today..

I've never got this sort of speed from the TBB checker before - ever!

My Broadband Speed Test

Just to add to this.. Full steam download between 100 and 106 mbps constant. I even took a screenshot at the start and one at the end.. average download rate 11.7mb/sec

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 17-Apr-12 03:00:29)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-12 03:04:06
Print Post

what steam server do you use the one mines set to now never gos past 23 meg i forgot the one i used to use that was always faster

Ash

(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 03:24:15
Print Post

Morning mate,

I changed to Manchester.
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 10:51:30
Print Post

I'd best contact EA and Rockstar and tell them that their dev NNTP servers are all illegal because 2 people on a forum think so.

I'm quite interested in this, given I've worked for 3 major ISPs, a hardware vendor, a hardware distributor and a major on-line gaming firm and never, not once, seen any company that uses NNTP to distribute binary data to staff or partners. It's always FTP to external and FTP / CIFS / Sharepoint internally.

Actually there's a thought - why are these mythical NNTP servers sitting on the public internet? More than a bit dangerous sticking development builds of extremely high value software on public servers?
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:00:54
Print Post

I know you Looooove VM and dam anyone who uses it to do more than facebook. Oh well, simple answer is to bin them.

Yay we are! smile

Off to the post history I go.... Yep.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_cable/t/4114...

Games that I am working on are a lot less than they used to be - around 6-8GB once completed. Still I have to work on 2-3 at a time in order to actually make something. Hence the need for large downloads overnight.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_cable/t/4089...

im using Giganews right now on 563 getting 98.2mbps...

So erm...

the one chucked in with giganews - vyprvpn I think it is.

Im using it for games mainly. I have netflix and spotify for all the stuff I need.

This is where you start getting even more defensive, throw in a few swear words, and get all upset because you enjoy bragging so much about your usage but for some reason are obsessed with trying to claim it's legitimate.
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:41:28
Print Post

Surely it's not rocket science to work out that the more speed users are given then those users will use it. Hence the reason people move to a faster connection.

Now O2 standard
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:41:01
Print Post

Surely it's not rocket science to work out that the more speed users are given then those users will use it. Hence the reason people move to a faster connection.

it's not - were you having problems comprehending this and were asking teh question to reassure yourself?

bless...
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:44:00
Print Post

Yay we are! smile

Off to the post history I go.... Yep.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_cable/t/4114...

im using Giganews right now on 563 getting 98.2mbps...

So erm...

the one chucked in with giganews - vyprvpn I think it is.

Im using it for games mainly. I have netflix and spotify for all the stuff I need.

This is where you start getting even more defensive, throw in a few swear words, and get all upset because you enjoy bragging so much about your usage but for some reason are obsessed with trying to claim it's legitimate.

not at all.

I simply laugh at your tardyness

Surely someone who collects threads on someone else is a stalker? Seems you like to do that - should the Police be involved on this one?

I am sorry if you feel that me having to down and up large SDK files for games in progress is an inconvenience on you and your beloved and rather anal fondness of VM

But deal with it.

When I am not doing such apparent "illegal" activites I am on Source SDK And Garrys Mod. So are you implying that I am profiting from criminal activities?
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:45:55
Print Post

I'm quite interested in this, given I've worked for 3 major ISPs, a hardware vendor, a hardware distributor and a major on-line gaming firm and never, not once, seen any company that uses NNTP to distribute binary data to staff or partners. It's always FTP to external and FTP / CIFS / Sharepoint internally.

Actually there's a thought - why are these mythical NNTP servers sitting on the public internet? More than a bit dangerous sticking development builds of extremely high value software on public servers?

they aren't.

You've done a lot it seems. Yet managed to retain your tardyness all the way through.

I got to hand it to you - I am impressed. now, Jog on smile
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-12 17:53:59
Print Post

Morning mate,

I changed to Manchester.

Hmm thats what mines on oh well 23 megs plenty for a 5 gig game i suppose lol saying that i do tend to pick 6-9 as my time to get stuff off steam lol last time i re installed comp i just left it doing my steam collection threw night haha

Ash

(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 18:19:55
Print Post

Morning mate,

I changed to Manchester.

Hmm thats what mines on oh well 23 megs plenty for a 5 gig game i suppose lol saying that i do tend to pick 6-9 as my time to get stuff off steam lol last time i re installed comp i just left it doing my steam collection threw night haha

Ash

Well I was rocketing all night and got down what I needed. Don't need to do any down or up for a week now.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-12 20:34:23
Print Post

lol just downloaded win 8 CP again lost my saved copy haha and full speed tried steam still not budging past 23 max so i think its defo selected server

Ash

(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 22:11:48
Print Post

possibly.
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 15:00:01
Print Post

"I hope when this STM does come in I might actually get my allowances at full speed. it's crazy i cant download after 12 as I HAVE A LIFE!"

You stated the above but complain that you can't get the full speed you demand. There will be others like yourself that want to do the same.

As others have stated and you fail to understand, VM advertise the max that anyone on an uncongested line will get.

Shame really! Time to get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now O2 standard
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Apr-12 17:01:55
Print Post

Shame really! Time to get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off you run then smile
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Apr-12 22:08:06
Print Post

Again zero fondness of VM I'm just amused that even at the age of 35 and after all this time you still both find the need to brag about how high your usage is then get defensive when the blatantly obvious is pointed out.

I seriously doubt EA and Bioware use Usenet to distribute private files of games in progress, and I have absolutely no doubt they do not use Giganews to do it. If they do it's some personal thing between them because an employee of Lionhead has no idea about these EA NNTP servers.

I don't really understand your problem, have you considered psychiatric treatment? Most of us pathologically lie as children but usually get over it well before our mid-30s.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Wed 18-Apr-12 22:17:36)

(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Apr-12 22:16:45
Print Post

Spoken like someone who doesn't know what the word 'tardiness' - no 'y' - means.

EA don't use NNTP to distribute data. Speaking with an actual developer who works for Lionhead he informs that EA don't have any involvement in the development process, they are the publisher, they see the finished product obviously when it's going gold.

See my previous post regarding pathological lying. What you're downloading via VyprVPN, the one you get free with Giganews, isn't legitimate stuff.

You and pretty much everyone else who has 100Mb, I don't get the problem.

Here's an idea though, rather than having people pull you up on it why not just stop bragging about how much data you use at every conceivable opportunity then getting defensive when people point out the blatantly obvious?

It's just a thought. That or just shrug the shoulders and admit that you do what the majority of people on 100Mb do and download stuff you probably shouldn't. Happy to admit I do it from time to time, albeit at a pretty minimal level.
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Apr-12 10:49:21
Print Post

hehe check this out.. (just for your reference Ash)

started off full speed just after 10am (108.2mbps) when the TM is in it's 20GB between 10-3 but not sure if it's actually running at the moment

Measurement Period: 0days 0h:46m:37s
Data Downloaded: 6GB 638MB
Data Uploaded: 214MB

BOOM! cut in half onto badboy pipe smile (still carrying on at 51mbps,34mbps,45mbps,61mbps (will you make up your mind VM!?)

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 19-Apr-12 10:49:36)

Standard User gfunkuk
(learned) Thu 19-Apr-12 12:26:32
Print Post

Please keep this thread going. The entertainment it's providing me is getting me through my otherwise uneventful work day. At the moment it's definitely

Ignition 1 - 0 Internet Downloader.

For the record I'll give my input. I'm on 100mb, see no congestion ever, even since April 2nd. Yes I download the odd BD ISO now and again. When the bad boy pipe kicks in it means it will take just over 2 hours to download instead of 67 minutes. I can live with it. My only slight peev is browsing seems slower if downloading at the same time as being bad boy'd.

I've not tried it yet as I've only been bad boy'd once, but if I get bad boy'd at say 20:55, does this mean full speed won't be back until almost 2am? If so that's kinda harsh. It should be that the bad boy pipe switches off completely at 2100. In my almost perfect world anyway!
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 19-Apr-12 13:46:31
Print Post

hehe check this out.. (just for your reference Ash)

started off full speed just after 10am (108.2mbps) when the TM is in it's 20GB between 10-3 but not sure if it's actually running at the moment

Measurement Period: 0days 0h:46m:37s
Data Downloaded: 6GB 638MB
Data Uploaded: 214MB

BOOM! cut in half onto badboy pipe smile (still carrying on at 51mbps,34mbps,45mbps,61mbps (will you make up your mind VM!?)

Lol sounds like vm to not even give the full STM lol i remember when i was on 10meg i had not even used the connection for 3 days wed been away on a long weekend, Monday morning come home read emails been sent a YT link watched it and got put on 2.5meg i was like blush yea that's really 3 gig used there lol

Ash

(experienced) Thu 19-Apr-12 14:07:54
Print Post

I don't have to run. I jog along and don't complain about lack of speed.

Have you got your life yet?

Now O2 standard
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Apr-12 14:19:43
Print Post

[re: gfunkuk] [link to this post]

Nothing wrong with downloading as you please mate, the service is advertised as unlimited and it's VM's problem if people decide to cane it during peak times.

Was more the silliness.

STM hasn't hit me yet, I'm waiting to see how it affects things when it is deployed here, although to be honest I'm a bit of a wuss and would basically never trigger it anyway.

It's also only a temporary interim solution, a full on management solution is on its way in the summer.
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Apr-12 14:21:44
Print Post

Not really an issue as it's not traffic management, wouldn't be getting 61Mb if it were as the throttling is pretty accurate.

Sounds more like someone else kicked a download/upload off and congestion starting working its' magic, hence why the throughput was all over the place rather than a steady 50-ish Mbps as it would have been under management without other problems present.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to