User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User morgcon
(newbie) Mon 03-Dec-12 11:16:35
Print Post

After 10 years I'm leaving

[link to this post]

The last 3 years I've had nothing but problems with my cw/ntl/virgin line. Mainly the broadband side of things. I was told in December 2011 that yes virgin needed to upgrade their equipment and was given March 2012 as a fix date. I don't think it was ever carried out as no one will answer the simple question was it replaced, yes or no. Well the last year I've had dead tones on phone line, 60mb broadband no better than a 9600k modem and TV losing signal. What annoys me is VM keep putting the blame on my equipment and saying nothing wrong with network. Was so bad one night i called when TV was unwatchable and broadband was unusable to be told nothing wrong. Well i got Infinity being installed and hope I can at least use Skype at a normal time, not only being able to use it from 1am - 6am.
Standard User banger9365
(member) Tue 04-Dec-12 01:15:55
Print Post

Re: After 10 years I'm leaving

[re: morgcon] [link to this post]

i know what you been through and i done the same but unlike you,i can only get ADSL for me ,no fiber ,
leaving the easy part ,they take your money ,they do not give you a bill to prove the final bill
they send an email saying its ready to view but you cannot see it and then they take 35 days to return any money they owe you after they have there hardware back (make sure it go's back or they will bill you for it ),
welcome to been virgin free
Standard User morgcon
(newbie) Sat 12-Jan-13 13:06:55
Print Post

Well BT managed to totally balls my order up. I want a new line install with Infinity which they don't appear to be able to. You have to have line installed with their lower BB service and then upgrade to Infinity if your line is capable. I just cancelled it and walked way. Sky on the other hand can handle the process all the way so I think I'm going to go with them now VM have said Feb 20th before they may fix the over contention problem.

My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Jan-13 13:26:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by morgcon:
I want a new line install with Infinity which they don't appear to be able to.
You could certainly order that in June 2012 because that is exactly what I did. At that time the phone install was free when ordering Infinity.

The order went through perfectly. Sadly they didn't back it up by sending an engineer to do the Infinity part of the install and their idea of how to correct their failure was a new appointment 3 weeks later. I cancelled and stuck with cable which was by then working OK and still is. Virgin Media aren't the only company that regards customers as a nuisance.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Jan-13 21:13:13
Print Post

Hang on,

It's a problem with your equipment? Your equipment is THEIR equipment!

frown
Standard User Sauronator
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 19:07:02
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Please stay, Richard loves you long time.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Jan-13 19:12:37
Print Post

You dodged a bullet mate, BT are complete and utter [censored] and you will do well going with sky.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 94040D 34659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 10.1 SNR: 16.2
Line Length 300meters
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:31:28
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

your BT still slow?

the speeds you reported you should be able to leave easily as in my opinion sub 5mbit on FTTC falls under unfit for purpose and unfit for purpose overides any contract.

Also I find a 2nd way out for peeps if that one is brushed aside in that estimated speeds at the point of sale are not quoted as "up to".

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:34:35
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

It's that slow web pages are not loading and I have resorted to tethering my three connection.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 94040D 34659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 10.1 SNR: 16.2
Line Length 300meters

Edited by lockyatlrg (Sun 13-Jan-13 20:40:51)

(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Jan-13 03:40:38
Print Post

[re: Sauronator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sauronator:
Please stay, Richard loves you long time.

But the beard..Uck the beard! :/
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Jan-13 03:41:30
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

My mate has adsl 2 and because the upload was so low they let him go.. so they must let you surely?
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 11:35:01
Print Post

I moved back to a VM cabled area, got the full tv/bb/phone package (100Mbit broadband) and left for Sky Fibre.
The VM over utilisation is rubbish and they just keep delaying it month by month, so I'm glad I struggled for two months to get my Sky Fibre (FTTC) installed. It was worth it in the end.

My Broadband Speed Test
Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Ping Monitor

IDNet Business Priority Fibre 75/16

Virgin Media 100Mbit
(Disconnected due to over-utilisation and bad CS)
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Jan-13 16:10:00
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Clearly you can't be on one of the 5% of Sky enabled exchanges which they've just admitted have insufficient backhaul then. Probably a similar percentage to the VM problem areas.....
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:11:21
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Yes I was shocked about that. But they have 100gbps backhaul VM have 1000gbps and they both have problems..
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Jan-13 18:11:22
Print Post

Problem isn't with the core networks but the edge.
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Jan-13 22:02:32
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Ah i see.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Jan-13 15:19:17
Print Post

"The Edge" - U2 guitarist?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Philce
(committed) Thu 31-Jan-13 16:19:28
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Saltank:
I moved back to a VM cabled area, got the full tv/bb/phone package (100Mbit broadband) and left for Sky Fibre.
The VM over utilisation is rubbish and they just keep delaying it month by month, so I'm glad I struggled for two months to get my Sky Fibre (FTTC) installed. It was worth it in the end.

My FTTC install with Sky is due next week. Been waiting since 12th Dec!

Getting very nervous that something(someone) is going to balls something up bigtime!

Virgin now calling twice a week trying to "retain" me!

TBB ping graph seems to be flattening out, and now on 2 upstream channels, they might actually be doing some work to upgrade us now BT have installed FTTC!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Jan-13 18:16:38
Print Post

[re: Philce] [link to this post]

If FTTC has become available then it may be better performance on VM as people who want fast connections are spread out over both systems, rather than just crammed onto VM now.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Jan-13 20:01:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Losing some customers is far more likely than upgrading the network imo. A couple of really heavy downloaders or more probably some seeding torrents 24x7 can completely cripple a local segment.

That said the problems in my area were by and large fixed before FTTC arrived so they do sort things out - it's the extended timescale to do so after problems occur rather than being pro-active about congestion that is VMs biggest fault. They also seem quite happy to allow things to run far hotter than most people would consider acceptable.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-13 03:25:14
Print Post

[re: Philce] [link to this post]

only twice a week, lucky.

I had on average 3 a day but they did give up about a week ago. So they didnt hound me for the full month.

Any retention deal they offer requires a new min term (another isp obsessed with min terms), I have been considering retaining VM monthly on the existing price without the landline and TV as a fixed line backup, but I think I only have 1-2 days to make my mind up now.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-13 11:08:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
another isp obsessed with min terms
Given the speed and depth of degredation their service can suffer it makes good business sense for them...
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-13 22:20:44
Print Post

yes thats why they all obsessed as they aware of service degredation.

here is my connection the first full day after the work.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/da1defc467e...

and here it is on friday just gone, see how quick its going downhill already although speeds still full at peak.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/93f73492b46...

(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 09:07:48
Print Post

Mines now hit the floor. I have complained and shoved their T and C's down their throat as to why they should cancel it.

Was rocking 3.61mbps yesterday for most of the day. To watch YouTube I tethered my phone and hit 20mbps - and now with 4G being included free on three virgin can bite my dust.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 09:42:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Mines now hit the floor. I have complained and shoved their T and C's down their throat as to why they should cancel it.

Was rocking 3.61mbps yesterday for most of the day. To watch YouTube I tethered my phone and hit 20mbps - and now with 4G being included free on three virgin can bite my dust.

You posted in a news story that you did 2.6TB last month and that kudos to VM they hardly even STM'd you but have been complaining about slow speeds since the middle of last month. As I remember you got into a debate with them over whether or not you should have 120Mb and since then have been down below 3Mb most of the time and no higher than 15-20Mb.

In fact you seem to have cancelled in December, at some point gotten 120Mb in an area it wasn't available in (VM's provisioning system should prevent this, different provisioning code which is mapped to a franchise, so they fail), complained that in the middle of the month you were getting, at best, 15-20Mb, later on in the month 3Mb, but managed to pull 2.6TB.

All those complaints in the forum but singing their praises in the news comment and, despite being stuck at 3Mbps for a good part of the month, managing to download at an average speed of nearly 9Mb/s 24x7 for the entire month.

So how has the service actually been, and any chance of a BQM? People who aren't on bonded upstreams would I'm sure like to see the impact of them.

If congestion and VM are ignoring it wouldn't it be good to have some proof to show them?

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 05-Feb-13 09:43:37)

(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 11:54:35
Print Post

Yes I left and came back.. What they gave me IS their mistake and I have told them. They want to put me back down fine - make sure it's to 0 and ill walk away.

Sure - Here;s my live graph

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3e74d55520e...

But it's like this because apart from posting this I am not actually using it. I am using my mobile to stream most things.

I don't believe the chart always tells the true story

As for last month,. what cant speak can't lie.. Here's my router's report for Jan to prove I'm not lying. ( It's actually 2.4 I ready it wrong)

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5095/trafficj.jpg

The problem I have now is that it's slow. Yes I know what you'll say but I am not really interested. Anyone getting my current speeds (between 3.6 and17mbps) will be [censored]!

But i'll see the contract out. Got no choice now.

Edit';' it's gone back to full speed now. After I missed a call from the complaints department. Just like it did last time I complained. Interesting.

Ill use it and see what the charts like in a few days.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 05-Feb-13 12:05:12)

(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 12:11:50
Print Post

That graph looks perfect, as good as could be asked for.

Telewest did have form for selectively throttling connections of very heavy users - be aware - but that hasn't happened in years.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 12:45:32
Print Post

To be fair that would make sense. - The box has NT: written on it but I assume it would apply to all areas

As I have said II haven't used the connection for anything but surfing. Ill do some downloading and look in a few days.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 05-Feb-13 12:48:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 12:57:47
Print Post

You can't use terabytes per month just surfing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 14:22:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No I have been downloading stuff from Youtube that I've not been able to stream. Watching lots of HD stuff with an average of 3GB per download. Not my fault ithat's their

I meant I have not used it fgor anything but surfing for the past few days hence why the graph is like it is

Dosen't matter anyway. I've just paid my disconnection fee and off I go - never to make this mistake again no matter what the speed is!

To me this is not acceptable.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=13600...

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 05-Feb-13 14:42:53)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Feb-13 11:19:40
Print Post

Try "standard def", uses less bandwidth.

Now O2 standard
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:22:31
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

my VM is gone now, tech just left with equipment, I kept the vmng300 for memory of service and the dir615 as I am using it tongue

He asked for 2 modems so gave him both superhubs.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 06-Feb-13 13:22:51)

Standard User AndehX
(learned) Thu 07-Feb-13 09:05:28
Print Post

I still have my old scientific atlanta modem from years ago. just to remind me of how good virgin/telewest used to be

Connection - Virgin Media 100Mbps @ 50m. BQM
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-13 09:58:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Try "standard def", uses less bandwidth.

Try get stuffed. If I wanted standard def i'd have stayed on 6mbps!

Fool
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-13 09:59:03
Print Post

Fair play. I kept both the wireless dongles they gave me. Will come in handy when I need to hook up to infintiy in my new place
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:20:22
Print Post

No need to quote my post as it's me you are replying to.

You obviously like to waste bandwidth with unnecessary bs.

BA Baracus was better.

Now O2 standard

Edited by broadband66 (Thu 07-Feb-13 10:23:15)

Standard User Philce
(committed) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:43:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT O turned up as arranged (contractor from Kelly)

swapped the faceplate, said the line was connected back to the exchange after he plugged his tester in.

Went away and connected up the cab, and the modem is connected and working.

He said that the phone should be connected by a "framing engineer" later.

Guess what! No phone line!

Sky have no Idea whats going on so now I have to wait!

At least I have free broadband till they sort it.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:50:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
No need to quote my post as it's me you are replying to.

A lot of people (me included) view this board in flat mode so it makes it easier to see what post was being replied to when others appear between them. This is especially useful when making a rude, condescending, or arrogant response as it avoids upsetting the poster immediately prior to the post in flat mode if they don't spot the link back as often happens.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Thu 07-Feb-13 10:52:21)

(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-13 11:12:28
Print Post

Waste bandwidth?

What a totally moronic thing to say..

Sounds like your young enough to watch him lots.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 07-Feb-13 11:45:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
A lot of people (me included) view this board in flat mode so it makes it easier to see what post was being replied to when others appear between them. This is especially useful when making a rude, condescending, or arrogant response as it avoids upsetting the poster immediately prior to the post in flat mode if they don't spot the link back as often happens.
A nice two-edged sword. However, I feel the point may be missed by someone other than the person you replied to. tongue

In my opinion an @poster works just as well, if not better.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Feb-13 16:12:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
A nice two-edged sword. However, I feel the point may be missed by someone other than the person you replied to. tongue

In my opinion an @poster works just as well, if not better.

Quoting for the win.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Feb-13 17:30:46
Print Post

Please don't quote RobertoS - I still have him on ignore because his posts usually irritate me....

BTW good luck with FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 07-Feb-13 18:12:33
Print Post

I wonder if the compliment in my reply to him was irritating?

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Feb-13 15:06:39
Print Post

No, I'm old enough to use "you're" instead of "your".

I just thought that you were unable to comprehend how to use less bandwidth. SD would be less problematic on a slow connection.

Now O2 standard
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to