User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 21-Dec-12 13:57:25
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media with Vodafone Suresignal

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

The way I did it was to change the assignment in my DHCP server. When you reserve an IP address for it, you can also specify which DNS servers are allocated.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 21-Dec-12 14:07:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The way I did it was to change the assignment in my DHCP server. When you reserve an IP address for it, you can also specify which DNS servers are allocated.

thanks, i'll check out my router manual and see if i can use my overplay vpn DNS (uk based) instead of the [censored] talktalk DNS

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User TopDog
(committed) Fri 21-Dec-12 14:37:22
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I'll use pingtest... didn't know it even existed smile

My current result is http://www.pingtest.net/result/74259873.png which shows as excellent!

Will re-test when it is broken again...

I suspect that even though ping results maybe fine there is something else going on as I am sure many other people with different ISPs have bad latency at peak times but not enough to make it unusable..

Why would Vodafone mention Virgin Media specifically in the official troubleshooting forum post at http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/...?

---

TopDog
Virgin Media 50mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Dec-12 14:41:19
Print Post

[re: TopDog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TopDog:
Why would Vodafone mention Virgin Media specifically in the official troubleshooting forum post at http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/...?

Virgin Media, due to the nature of the cable network, have the worst jitter of any major ISP.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 21-Dec-12 14:52:54
Print Post

I see it's fixed
For your Sure Signal to work, the minimum upload speed needed is 300kbps. From the information you’ve given, it would appear that you’re getting upload speeds between 250kbps and 350 kbps. Once it drops below 300kbps then the connection would drop and your Sure Signal would show the solid power light only.

I’d recommend you contact your ISP to see if there’s anyway in which they can assist you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User TopDog
(committed) Fri 21-Dec-12 14:52:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'll certainly look into this.

However once the initial IP lookup is done the result is cached for a period of time so not sure how this would help significantly. The Sure Signal box talks to the below specific IP's/range so once the initial look up is done it won't re query the DNS server for a period of time.

212.183.131.128/26

I am re-running a DNS benchmark right now.. been a while since I last checked what was the fastest for me.. will let you know the results later smile

---

TopDog
Virgin Media 50mb
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Dec-12 16:19:59
Print Post

yeah wait for it to break or at least test after 6pm.

I think ignition has gave you the right diagnosis.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Sync 80/20
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sat 22-Dec-12 16:34:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by TopDog:
The Sure Signal box talks to the below specific IP's/range so once the initial look up is done it won't re query the DNS server for a period of time.

212.183.131.128/26

I've also observed Sure Signal using 212.183.133.180 and 88.82.13.169 to 88.82.13.174. If you want that latter block of addresses as a CIDR range, 88.82.13.168/29 will cover it (that's slightly wider than necessary, covering .168 to .175).

Vodafone's out of date documentation mentions 212.183.133.177 to 212.183.133.179. I'd include those in your configuration for completeness.
Standard User ey143
(newbie) Fri 18-Jan-13 11:43:14
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Can someone please confirm whether if a device like Vodafone Sure Signal is used, do calls and internet traffic now route through your broadband just like VOIP e.g. Vonage?

I want to get a Sure signal to use in the office but I am wondering whether my surfing on the iphone will be detected by my corporate IT network guys. Both tech support and Vodafone and the shop say that it wont go through the corporate network but that doesnt make any sense to me, how else will this service work?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Jan-13 15:22:53
Print Post

[re: ey143] [link to this post]

It all depends on how the SureSignal tunnels the traffic, which I don't know the answer too.

The tunnel would go through the corporate network, but as its a tunnel if encrypted what you are doing on it should not be visible. Just like a VPN really.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to